• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cutco Vs. Forged Cutlery: A Surprising Knife Demonstration

In summary, my nephew's recent job selling Cutco knives impressed me. His serrated blade did well compared to his boning knife, and his straight blade was much more effective than his friend's Santoku. However, his knives are much more expensive than our forged knives, and our host program is much more affordable.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
OK, so my nephew, a recent high school graduate, just got a job selling Cutco. He said he got paid for every demonstration so I let him come to my house (he was an hour early) and show me his knives.

Well I do have to say I was kind of impressed by his demonstration. He asked me to get my sharpest straight blade (got the boning knife because it's newest and the serrated one)

Well, it took 8-10 swipes of the boning knife to cut a rope, and only one or two of his knife to do it.

The serrated blade, however, did its job well ... yes it took 2 swipes vs one of his, but his knife was also twice as long, a fact I pointed out!

Needless to say I didn't buy anything ... but I was really surprised! It may be time to get my straight blades professionally sharpened!

you may need that. Be aware that serrated blades tend to stay sharper longer than straight blades. Why, only the "tips" hit the cutting surface and get dinged up.

lol! One of my neighbor's son also tried to sell Cutco (it is a good product, I won't knock them). He did his demonstration for us as well. When he asked us for our sharpest knife, my husband brough out the large Santoku. The kid's eyes immediately sank as he said, everyone in this neighborhood has that same knife! Lol, he didn't know I sold PC.

Before I sold PC I did buy some Cutco and I do like them. After I started selling I have been slowly collecting our knives and I think they are both great.

I love cutco also, but there is no comparing when it comes to price. especially with our host program.

I bought a set of Cutcos last year....well before I signed up w/PC. Yes, they are both great. Cutco has a Forever Guarantee that can be passed down generations (and I love my scissors b/c you can take them apart to clean). But, our prices, as pclinskie said, along with the host program are much more affordable.

pamperedlinda said:
lol! One of my neighbor's son also tried to sell Cutco (it is a good product, I won't knock them). He did his demonstration for us as well. When he asked us for our sharpest knife, my husband brough out the large Santoku. The kid's eyes immediately sank as he said, everyone in this neighborhood has that same knife! Lol, he didn't know I sold PC.

So what happened when he compared our Santoku to his knife?

As a favor to my son, I had one of his friends demo the Cutco knives. I know how good they are because my mom had some when I was young, and I also have some that I received as a wedding gift 4 years ago. I chose not to compare my sharpest PC knife to the Cutco, because deep down I knew which one would win. :eek:

Oh, and I tried to recruit the Cutco salesman, but it didn't work. My son just rolled his eyes. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I tried to recruit the Cutco salesman, but it didn't work. My son just rolled his eyes. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
This made me laugh!

I have to say I personally do NOT like cutco knives. We got a set with our name inscribed on them as a wedding gift from my cousin (sells them) and I tried to cut an apple and it about butchered the apple into tiny bits and nearly cut the tip of my finger off. I've never had the happen with a knife before and haven't since then.

In comparison to the knife block set from PC that I sprang for as a gift for the hubby, Cutco doesn't come close.

I don't own Cutco, and I have not used them, but a few ladies from the party I had this weekend had their knives...when I talked about the use and care...no dishwasher/hone/get sharpened every couple years...the lady said that Cutco Can go in the dishwasher and they will sharpen them for them...I was glad I was at the end of my presentation b/c I didn't know what to say then :)

JennyJennJen said:
I don't own Cutco, and I have not used them, but a few ladies from the party I had this weekend had their knives...when I talked about the use and care...no dishwasher/hone/get sharpened every couple years...the lady said that Cutco Can go in the dishwasher and they will sharpen them for them...I was glad I was at the end of my presentation b/c I didn't know what to say then :)

That's the reason I oftentimes grab the Cutco instead of our forged cutlery

Nephew said in his presentation that they were dishwasher safe. I just said, "Yes, but it's not in their best interest."

I think the shipping to sharpen them would be more than the cost of having them sharpened at a hardware store.

I, also, bought CUTCO before selling PC. I only have their steak knives, a couple serrated longer sizes, spreader and scissors. I do have to say I love their knives, but I also love ours. Unfortunately, I also bought a nice set of stainless steel pots and pans before joining. It is too hard to justify replacing those with ours.

I've used cutco knives at a friend's house. They're VERY nice.
Forged cutlery, I think the shorter blade items are OK. I am not a fan of the longer blade models AT ALL.

The boning knife blade snapped in two when my husband cut some cheese with it. He thought I'd be mad! I was, but not at him. A $50 boning knife shouldn't snap in two with something soft like cheese. It's supposed to cut between chicken bones, right? The tip of the 8" chef's knife snapped off when I dropped it in the sink, not from any great height, just the normal clumsy drop. You're kidding me! A $75 knife does that? HO replaced the boning knife after a bit of back and forth and me finally finding it buried in a sample order and sending it back with delivery confirmation, which I ended up needing since they claimed it never arrived..... I haven't felt like dealing with the chef's knife replacement yet. Our 30-yr-old Wusthoff knife cost less and has held up better.

OK, done whining about the forged cutlery. I LOVE the utility knife, and 3.5" paring. When I am asked about the forged line, I mention those two.

Intreped- my son just started selling cutco too. i let him do the demo here, and told him i'd buy a hunting knife from him if he was still selling in 3 months. He then asked me for referrals and i wouldn't give him a name, other than grandma and grandpa.

Well I went ahead and gave my nephew 10 names. 2 friends (both loyal PC customers who I know won't buy!) and 8 family members, most of them already provided by his mom.

OMG, I am not the one to be selling knives! And hearing that knives snap in the middle of cutting is scaring the jeepers out of me! Yikes! I try my best to sell the knives but seriously, they are extremely dangerous to ME. Other people would LOVE them.

The first time I used them without sharing my blood, I was cutting ribs to do the 20 minute ribs. OMG! That was amazing! They cut like butter! My hubby is a butcher and I handed him the knife. He was even impressed.

I don't think I will ever be the best knife seller. EVER. Everyone says that dull knives are more dangerous but I am not sure that I agree. I love the ease of a sharp knife but I guess I need to learn a new respect for all the sharp stuff, if I am going to continue selling! My dull knives seem to work out better for me, in the real world.

Teresa LM, I always tell people that sharp knives are safer than dull knives. Dull knives are much more likely to slip off food onto (and into) your hand. However, if you've been using dull knives for 20 years you need to be very, very careful with sharp knives until you get used to them.

What is the difference between Cutco and Forged Cutlery?

Cutco is a brand of kitchen knives that are made with a unique combination of stainless steel and high-carbon steel. They are designed with a patented Double-D cutting edge that stays sharp for longer periods of time. Forged cutlery, on the other hand, is made by hammering a single piece of steel into the desired shape and then sharpened. Cutco knives are known for their durability and longevity, while forged cutlery is known for its strength and precision.

Which one is better for everyday use?

Both Cutco and forged cutlery are suitable for everyday use. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the type of tasks you will be using the knives for. Cutco knives are great for slicing and dicing, while forged cutlery is ideal for tasks that require more precision, such as carving meat or vegetables.

Do they have a difference in price?

Cutco knives tend to be more expensive than forged cutlery. This is due to the patented technology and high-quality materials used in their production. However, Cutco knives come with a lifetime guarantee, so you will not have to worry about purchasing new knives in the long run.

Which one is easier to maintain?

Cutco knives require minimal maintenance and can be sharpened by the company for free. Forged cutlery, on the other hand, may need to be sharpened more frequently and can be more difficult to maintain due to their single-piece construction. However, with proper care and sharpening, both types of knives can last for many years.

What are the benefits of using Cutco or forged cutlery?

The benefits of using Cutco knives include their durability, sharpness, and lifetime guarantee. Forged cutlery offers precision and strength, making them great for tasks that require a lot of cutting and chopping. Both types of knives are known for their high-quality materials and construction, making them reliable tools in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tmseiling
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
tmseiling
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
Replies
Views
pcchefjane