• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cutco or Forged Cutlery: Which is Better for Your Kitchen?

In summary, In Cutco knives, the stamping is done before the knives are forged, which gives them a slightly lower quality. Our Forged Cutlery has a more traditional forging process that makes for a higher quality knife.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I had a host ask me how our Forged Cutlery compares to Cutco Knives....I have no idea! I know that Cutco is expensive - but I've never actually seen or used them - does someone know?

If you click on the search option in the menu bar and type in cutco you will find a couple threads where we talk about this. Not sure how much information anyone had but some of the ideas for how to sell the forged cutlery was pretty good.

I did look at some threads - but this is a host who has never been happy with any knives - hated our other knives - and is trying to decide between the Forged knives or buying cutco - so I really need to know if someone has used both and could compare them side-by-side for me!

I have attached a comparison for cookware and forged cutlery.:)

Attachments

• Executive Cookware - Forged Cutlery Comparison.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 538
ChefBeckyD said:
I did look at some threads - but this is a host who has never been happy with any knives - hated our other knives - and is trying to decide between the Forged knives or buying cutco - so I really need to know if someone has used both and could compare them side-by-side for me!

Well you have 2 choices...either lend her 1 & see if she likes it or tell her to pick some other things for herself ( since she have NEVER been happy in the past ) :rolleyes:

I've never seen cutco, but.....
of course ours are better!:p

My aunt told me that you only get 1/2 back on what you paid for the knife when you return it d/t damage or whatever it may be. I'm not sure if this is all true. My mother-in-law has cutco and she loves them but I like our handles better.

I have some Cutco knives... they are okay. Nothing to write home about... I do like their sandwich knive a little more than ours~ but only because their blade part is larger.. otherwise ours has a sturdier blade and a better handle.
The bread knife does a good job cutting~it doesn't come with a cover (wish it did) and the tip is really pointy which is really strange for a bread knife.. huh.. well, I can't find my bread knife right now and it has been a really long time since I used it.. but I am 99% sure that it was like that. anyways.... :)

Cutco Knives are Stamped like our self sharpening knives. Our new Forged knives are just that "Forged" as in heated in a hot oven and pounded into shape. The forging process makes these knives very good quality and durable. Right up there with "Wustoff" (not sure of spelling sory..) We had a butcher come do a training with us on our forged knives and he raved about them! He said they were far better than he would have expected for the price! Not to mention Far and above Cutco in quality.
Have you done her show yet? Either way I would spend a little time with her. Bring the knives and let her try them out.

etteluap70PC said:
Cutco Knives are Stamped like our self sharpening knives. Our new Forged knives are just that "Forged" as in heated in a hot oven and pounded into shape. The forging process makes these knives very good quality and durable. Right up there with "Wustoff" (not sure of spelling sory..) We had a butcher come do a training with us on our forged knives and he raved about them! He said they were far better than he would have expected for the price! Not to mention Far and above Cutco in quality.
Have you done her show yet? Either way I would spend a little time with her. Bring the knives and let her try them out.

Thank You! That is what I needed - some actual differences between the two!
She had her show, and is deciding on product now - so I can let her know!:)

etteluap70PC said:
Cutco Knives are Stamped like our self sharpening knives.

Really?!? As much as some people go on about Cutco, I always assumed they were forged. Well, live and learn. This factoid is definitely going into my show now. :)

1. What is the main difference between Cutco and Forged Cutlery?

The main difference between Cutco and Forged Cutlery is the way they are made. Cutco knives are made using a stamping process, where the blade is cut from a large sheet of steel. Forged Cutlery, on the other hand, is made by heating the steel and then hammering it into shape. This results in a denser and stronger blade for Forged Cutlery.

2. Which type of knife holds an edge better, Cutco or Forged Cutlery?

Forged Cutlery typically holds an edge better than Cutco knives. This is because the forging process creates a more durable and stronger blade, making it less likely to dull over time. However, with proper care and sharpening, both types of knives can maintain their sharpness for a long time.

3. Are Cutco knives dishwasher safe?

No, Cutco knives are not dishwasher safe. The high heat and harsh detergents used in dishwashers can damage the blade and handle of the knife. It is recommended to hand wash Cutco knives with warm water and mild soap, and immediately dry them with a soft cloth.

4. Is Forged Cutlery more expensive than Cutco?

Generally, Forged Cutlery tends to be more expensive than Cutco knives. This is due to the higher quality materials and more labor-intensive process used in making Forged Cutlery. However, the price difference may vary depending on the brand and specific knife models.

5. Can I use Cutco and Forged Cutlery interchangeably in the kitchen?

Yes, you can use Cutco and Forged Cutlery interchangeably in the kitchen. Both types of knives are designed to perform the same tasks, such as cutting and slicing. However, you may notice a slight difference in weight and balance between the two types of knives, so it may take some time to get used to the feel of each one.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • smilesarepriceless
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kaseydee