• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cricut vs Silhouette for Crafting: Which is the Better Buy?

In summary, the cricut expresssion is a great option for vinyl cutting and the frosting sheets are a great addition.
Tropicalburstqt2
Gold Member
I'm considering purchasing either the cricut expresssion or silhouette sd for crafting. I'd mainly like to cut vinyl for projects & promotional ideas, but will use many of the other features too. I'm also considering using the frosting sheets (possibly). I want the best bang for my buck. Do you have any experience with either & if so, what are your thoughts?!

I have an Expression & I love it. I only use it for cards & LOs but I do know people that use the vinyl & etching. If you go with the E I recommend getting either Design Studio or the Gypsy.

love my cricut but the cartridges are expensive don't know how they compare to a silhoutte

From everything I have heard the Silhouette it way better, but I have don't have either. I think the silhouette allows you to cut any image ie- download PC logo, whereas cricut requires you to buy cartridges. I may become your new best friend if you get one!!!!!

I was a manager at a scrapbook store and sold the silhouette. I whole heartily recommend the cricut. It is so much more user friendly fun and reliable. I sold my silhouette and have a cricut expression and I LOVE it! JMHO

Check out splitcoaststampers.com for a ton of threads on just this topic. I have used my Circut for vinyl and it works great.

Thanks for everyones input so far. I'm still torn tho. Wish I could play with the silhouette & cricut to see what I like best

I have the cricutI see that you live in Southwestern Pa - I live in Western Maryland.Is it possible that we live somewhat close ???Maybe we could meet and you could use the cricut to see if you like it.I have bought most of my cartridges at Big Lots for less than $30 each.Just thought that I would share

Teresa Lynn said:
love my cricut but the cartridges are expensive don't know how they compare to a silhoutte

I wait for sales, and there are even websites that you can rent the cartridges from!

I've purchased several new, unused, still in package cricut cart for under $20 on eBay!! I love my cricut! Wouldn't trade it for anything!!!

Michaels has sales at the start of new seasons and sells their Cricut cartridges for $9.99 and some Walmarts will price match. So you can find really good deals on the cartridges. I wish it could cut downloaded images, sometimes I don't have a cartridge withthe image I need.

I have a cricut expression and am still getting used to it but I love it so far! I also have the Sure cuts a lot software that enables you to cut any true type font and basically any picture that you find online, a bit of info about that here Sure Cuts A Lot for Windows - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com. Getting the Sure Cuts A Lot software was the selling point for me otherwise you are stuck being limited to expensive cartridges.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies!

I love my Cricut! I used it to make my own PC car decal- much cheaper than buying from Merrill and just as professional-looking. It only cost me about $2 worth of vinyl. You can use the Cricut to cut any image, not just those from cartridges. The trick is buying the $50 software called 'Sure Cuts-a-lot (SCAL)' that converts images into .scal files. Google it and you will find all sorts of info on it. There are multiple webpages where you can download practically any image you want and cut it with your Cricut. SCAL also lets you cut any true type font loaded on your computer (there are thousands of free fonts you can download). You can also create your own images if you're tech savy enough to use the free software called Inkscape. Inkscape allows you to convert any .jpeg file into an .scal file, which allows you to cut it on the Cricut.

Did not know any of that info - Thanks for sharingI love my Cricut and I make so many different signs with it - PC and non PC - this will help me make mine look even more professional

I guess I should add the disclaimer that Cricut doesn't recommend using the SCAL program. I (and many others) have used it for many things and never had a problem. But then again, why would they recommend it? No one would buy their cartridges because they can get the images for free! I only buy cartridges now if I just have to have a particular image and I can't find it for free. My favorite part is all of the different fonts I can use now, instead of being restricted to the ones Cricut wants us to have.

Thanks for all of the responses!!

What is the difference between Cricut and Silhouette Sd?

The main difference between Cricut and Silhouette Sd is the technology they use. Cricut machines operate with cartridges that contain pre-designed images and fonts, while Silhouette Sd uses software and allows users to create their own designs.

Which machine is better for a beginner?

This depends on personal preference. Cricut may be easier for beginners to use since it comes with pre-designed images and fonts, but Silhouette Sd offers more creative freedom for those who are willing to invest time in learning the software.

Can I use my own designs with both machines?

Yes, you can use your own designs with both Cricut and Silhouette Sd. However, with Cricut, you will need to purchase cartridges or use their Design Space software to upload your own designs, while Silhouette Sd allows you to import designs from various file types.

What materials can I cut with these machines?

Cricut and Silhouette Sd can both cut a wide range of materials, including paper, cardstock, vinyl, fabric, and more. However, Silhouette Sd has a higher cutting force and can cut thicker materials, such as leather and wood.

Which machine is more budget-friendly?

It ultimately depends on your needs and budget. Cricut machines tend to have lower upfront costs, but require purchasing cartridges and subscription fees for their Design Space software. Silhouette Sd has a higher upfront cost, but does not require additional purchases for designs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • kcmckay