• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Baking Cookies: Parchment Paper Solution on Stoneware

The first batch of cookies will take longer to bake because of the stone's heating properties. After baking the first batch, the baking time should be the same as non-stone time.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
Hey guys, I know this question has been asked before, but I can't find any of the threads right now. I just got a call from a customer who is baking cookies right now. She is lining the bar pan with parchment and baking drop cookies on it. She had to end up baking them for 20 minutes when they were only supposed to take 8-10 minutes. I've never encountered this before. What's the deal?

The stone is not new, the oven was preheated.

Chef Kearns said:
Hey guys, I know this question has been asked before, but I can't find any of the threads right now. I just got a call from a customer who is baking cookies right now. She is lining the bar pan with parchment and baking drop cookies on it. She had to end up baking them for 20 minutes when they were only supposed to take 8-10 minutes. I've never encountered this before. What's the deal?

The stone is not new, the oven was preheated.

The first batch can take longer, but after that, the time should be the same as non-stone time.

Also, baking them on the bar pan is going to yield different results than baking them on a flat stone.

Sometimes cookies take longer to bake on the stone because it takes longer for the stone to heat up than a metal pan.

Is the dough cold or just mixed. That makes a difference too. Is this a new recipe for her or a tried and true?

Like others said the first batch takes longer even with a preheated stone.

Also maybee her oven has begun to go flakey... it can happen

Well, I called her back and told her the first batch theory, so I think for now she's straight!

Thank you for your help!

I e-mailed the test kitchens once because I was really struggling with baking cookies on the rectangle stone. I was trying to use parchment paper because some people had recommended it. My cookies were taking almost 20 minutes for the first batch too. They would look done on the outside, but be really undercooked in the middle. This is what test kitchens wrote me:Because you are using stoneware, you may have to bake a little longer since
stones sometimes take a little longer to get hot in the oven. I wouldn't
waste parchment paper on the cookies though. You don't need it with
stoneware. I only recommend parchment when baking with a metal sheet
pan. Try baking the cookies on the stones without parchment and see how
beautifully they come out on the bottom. They're perfect! This will also
season your stone really well and your cookies, over time will be
excellent when baked on your stone! I love my stones for cookies!
Since then I've used the stones just plain and now it's like they said, the stone is getting seasoned and they don't stick to it and they are coming out really nice. But the baking time is longer for the first batch, and I let them sit on the stone for a few minutes to continue cooking just a bit.

I just made cookies a couple weeks ago for the first time on my stone, and the first batch did take me about twice as long, but after that the suggested baking time worked well for me.

Hi there! It sounds like the issue may be with the parchment paper. Sometimes, parchment paper can prevent cookies from spreading and browning properly. I would suggest trying a different baking method, such as greasing the stoneware or using a silicone baking mat instead of parchment paper. Also, make sure the oven temperature is accurate and the cookies are evenly spaced on the stoneware. Let me know if this helps!

1. Can I use my stoneware for baking cookies?

Yes, stoneware can be used for baking cookies. It is actually one of the best materials for baking cookies as it distributes heat evenly and helps create crispy edges and chewy centers.

2. Do I need to season my stoneware before using it for cookies?

No, stoneware does not need to be seasoned before using it for cookies. However, if you have a new stoneware, it is recommended to wash it with hot water and dry it before using it for the first time.

3. Can I use my stoneware for different types of cookies?

Yes, stoneware can be used for various types of cookies such as chocolate chip, oatmeal, sugar cookies, and more. Just make sure to adjust the baking time according to the recipe.

4. How do I clean my stoneware after baking cookies?

Cleaning stoneware is easy. Allow it to cool down completely, then wash it with hot water and a non-abrasive sponge. Avoid using soap or harsh chemicals as it can damage the stoneware's seasoning.

5. Can stoneware go in the dishwasher?

No, stoneware should not be placed in the dishwasher. The harsh chemicals and high heat can damage the stoneware's seasoning and cause it to crack. It is best to hand wash stoneware with hot water and a non-abrasive sponge.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• heat123
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • mrshamel3808
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • rajenkiPC