• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips & Tricks for Using a Cookie Press

The recipe that comes with the cookie press is not the best for this type of cookie. You want a recipe that has a lot of butter in it so the dough will stay soft and not come out of the press correctly. Flour is a very finicky ingredient and if there's too much, it won't come out correctly. Measure it out correctly and whisk it in the container before measuring it out. Scoop it into the measuring cup, then level it off with a straight edge. Do not tap the measuring cup or pack the flour in any way.....it will have too much flour.
pamperedchefjunkie
Hello, I don't have a cookie press yet. One of my customers is having trouble using hers. She wants me to take it home and try it for myself and let her know what she is doing wrong. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for the cookie press?

make sure that the number on the disk is pointing outward, and that she has the press flat on the cookie sheet or stone.

we were told to take the whisk and whisk the flour then scoop it with a spoon. do not just dip the scoop in we had a cluster meeting on it and we actually weighed the flour, scooping it was heavier then the otherr way

What recipe is she using for the dough? Is it the one that comes with it? Flour is a very finicky ingredient. If there's the slightest bit too much, it will not come out of the cookie press correctly. It needs to be measured out correctly...have her whisk it in the container before she measures it. Scoop it into the measuring cup, then level it off with a straight edge. Don't tap the measuring cup or pack the flour in any way.....it will have too much flour.

Sometimes you have to hold the "click" of the cookie press for a good 2-3 seconds before you lift it off. Some disks are tricker than others. ONe sure-fire way to be sure the Cookie Press works (and if it's still not working correctly, then it may be a faulty press or a problem with the cookie dough recipe), is to use the ESP recipe for it. Here's all it is:
one egg
one cup sugar
one cup peanut butter

Mix together well. Pack into cookie press. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

These types of cookies very easily go through the cookie press. If this fool-proof recipe doesn't work, then maybe there IS something wrong with the cookie press.:)

Does anyone have a simple cookie press recipe that does not have chocolate or peanut butter in it? Perhaps a shortbread recipe? There are chocolate and peanut butter allergies in the family. Thanks.

RossDeb2 said:
Does anyone have a simple cookie press recipe that does not have chocolate or peanut butter in it? Perhaps a shortbread recipe? There are chocolate and peanut butter allergies in the family. Thanks.

You might try writing to the kitchen at HO. They took a few days to get back to me (well a week) but were very helpful.

I think one of the key thing is to make sure the dough is NOT chilled. Also a cool stone, one that has not been in the oven, works better. Make sure the numbers are pointed out and that the cookie press is flat on the stone. I press the dough until it comes out then clean of the press before I make the cookies.

Someone wanted recipes. I got these from this site not too long ago.

Good luck

Attachments

• cookie press recipes.doc
    29 KB · Views: 352
Most any "general" cookbook (Better Homes and Gardens, Good Housekeeping, etc.) will have a Spritz cookie recipe. That's what you want to use in a cookie press. They are usually a shortbread-like cookie (lots of butter) specifically designed to work with a press. To maintain a good balance of texture for pressing and flavor, I recommend using 1/2 shortening and 1/2 real butter in any of these recipes. The shortening will ensure that the dough will stay soft, but the butter tastes sooooo good. (and, no, butter-flavored shortening does NOT taste the same)

The trick is to have the dough pretty soft.

Hi everyone,
I had trouble with the cookie press as well. What worked for me was to press the cookie press half way first and then a full press. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

Perla

Perla said:
Hi everyone,
I had trouble with the cookie press as well. What worked for me was to press the cookie press half way first and then a full press. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

Perla

I was told to give the press a little twist as you're pulling away. Helps the dough let go. Try that next time.

This product surely needs improvement. Try a tube of sugar cookie dough with 1/2 c of peanut butter mixed in. Perfect amount of grease, I guess.

pamperedbecky said:
What recipe is she using for the dough? Is it the one that comes with it? Flour is a very finicky ingredient. If there's the slightest bit too much, it will not come out of the cookie press correctly. It needs to be measured out correctly...have her whisk it in the container before she measures it. Scoop it into the measuring cup, then level it off with a straight edge. Don't tap the measuring cup or pack the flour in any way.....it will have too much flour.

Sometimes you have to hold the "click" of the cookie press for a good 2-3 seconds before you lift it off. Some disks are tricker than others. ONe sure-fire way to be sure the Cookie Press works (and if it's still not working correctly, then it may be a faulty press or a problem with the cookie dough recipe), is to use the ESP recipe for it. Here's all it is:
one egg
one cup sugar
one cup peanut butter

Mix together well. Pack into cookie press. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

These types of cookies very easily go through the cookie press. If this fool-proof recipe doesn't work, then maybe there IS something wrong with the cookie press.:)

What's ESP stand for?

Eggs
Sugar
Peanut Butter

Those are the only ingredients.:D

I don't think it's OUR cookie press in particular. I think all cookie presses are a little finicky. I don't have the PC one, but an old one my dad always used with us when we were kids and every year it's a discussion about which of the darn recipes is the one that works best. He now has a "super shooter" that's an electric press! It's pretty fancy!

I hate to say I have an electric press too, but I've been thinking about buying ours just for the extra disks :)

I like that our press makes cookies that are a little bigger than other presses. More cookie is always a good thing!

I LOVE our cookie press. When we discontinue products sometimes I buy 3 to put in each of my kids hope chests. This product as soon as it came out I bought each child one and we use it every holiday season. I DO NOT use the recipe that came with it, it tastes nasty find your grandmother's recipe (or use the Betty Crocker sugar cookie pouches & ADD 1/4 cup flour).
Teresa

Here are more tips that I had in my files.

Ann

Attachments

• Cookie Press Cookies.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 396
  • Cookie press tips.doc
    20 KB · Views: 341

What type of dough can I use in my cookie press?

You can use any type of soft dough, such as sugar cookie dough, butter cookie dough, or shortbread dough. It is important to avoid using dough that is too sticky or too dry, as this can affect the performance of the cookie press.

How do I properly load the dough into the cookie press?

To load the dough, make sure the cookie press is in the closed position. Then, place the dough into the barrel of the cookie press, making sure to pack it down firmly. Close the cookie press and twist the handle to lock it in place.

What is the best way to get consistent shapes from my cookie press?

To get consistent shapes, make sure to hold the cookie press straight up and down while pressing the dough onto the baking sheet. Also, try to use a consistent amount of pressure while squeezing the handle and keep a steady pace while pressing out the dough.

Can I use my cookie press for anything other than cookies?

Yes, you can use your cookie press to make other treats such as cheese straws, crackers, or even mashed potatoes. Just make sure to use dough or mixture that is soft enough to be pressed through the cookie press.

How do I clean my cookie press?

To clean your cookie press, disassemble it and wash the parts with warm soapy water. Make sure to dry all the parts thoroughly before reassembling. Avoid putting any parts in the dishwasher, as this can cause damage to the cookie press.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Janice Hirst
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • lbalks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • babywings76