• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Doesn't My Sales Tax Automatically Update for Different States?

In summary, sales tax is a tax imposed by the government on the sale of goods and services. The responsibility of paying this tax falls on the buyer, but it is the seller's responsibility to collect and remit it to the government. Sales tax is calculated by multiplying the sales tax rate by the total sale price, which can vary by state and location. Tangible goods are typically subject to sales tax, while services and certain necessities may be exempt. The rules for online purchases also vary by state, and failing to pay sales tax may result in penalties and legal action.
plannerose
I have a friend who lives in Virginia and I live in Florida. She wants to do a catolog sale, do I add sales tax for Virginia since it will be shipped there?

Thanks!!

Rose

Yes, you use the sales tax for whereever the items are shipped. P3 only downloads tax rates within 100 miles of your zip, so you'll have to go to CC to look up the rate in VA. There is a link right in P3 that takes you to the page.

Thanks!! That is what I thought and wanted to double check it.

Thank you!!

NooraK said:
...P3 only downloads tax rates within 100 miles of your zip, ....

I was wondering why it didn't always put the tax in automatically. I live in MA but my sister in NY does catalog shows for me. It isn't a huge deal to type it in but the automatic feature is nice. Weird that it recognizes zip codes with in 100 miles but not farther.

Monty060609 said:
I was wondering why it didn't always put the tax in automatically. I live in MA but my sister in NY does catalog shows for me. It isn't a huge deal to type it in but the automatic feature is nice. Weird that it recognizes zip codes with in 100 miles but not farther.

Going beyond 100 miles would be a LOT of data for P3 to either store, or download each time it connects to the internet. It makes sense that they'd pick a radius that's most likely to cover the majority of your shows.

What is sales tax and who is responsible for paying it?

Sales tax is a tax imposed by the government on the sale of goods and services. It is typically a percentage of the total sale price and is collected by the seller at the time of purchase. The responsibility of paying sales tax falls on the buyer, but it is the seller's responsibility to collect and remit the tax to the government.

How is sales tax calculated?

Sales tax is calculated by multiplying the sales tax rate by the total sale price. The sales tax rate varies by state and can also differ within a state depending on the location of the sale. Some states have a flat rate, while others have a combination of state and local rates. It is important to know the sales tax rate in your area to ensure you are charging the correct amount.

What items are subject to sales tax?

The items that are subject to sales tax vary by state. Generally, tangible goods such as clothing, electronics, and furniture are subject to sales tax, while services such as haircuts and legal advice may not be. Some states also exempt certain necessities like groceries and prescription medications from sales tax.

Do I need to pay sales tax on online purchases?

The rules for sales tax on online purchases can be complicated and vary by state. In general, if the online retailer has a physical presence in your state, they are required to collect and remit sales tax. If they do not have a physical presence, you may be responsible for reporting and paying the sales tax on your own.

What happens if I don't pay sales tax?

If you fail to pay sales tax, you may face penalties and interest on the unpaid amount. The government may also take legal action to collect the unpaid taxes. It is important to understand your responsibilities for paying sales tax to avoid any consequences.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cookingmommy
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefheidi2003
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies