Chocolate Lava Microwave Cake???

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by Chef Carrie, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef Carrie

Chef Carrie

I read mention of a "Chocolate Lava Microwave Cake" somewhere on this site earlier today. I've never heard of this and didn't find it at any of my recipe "go-to" sites. Anyone have the recipe? Thanks!

2. PC_CPR

PC_CPR

It's made in the Rice Cooker Plus. So if you search for Rice Cooker recipes, it will be among the other recipes.

It's basically a boxed cake and half a can of frosting. Make the cake mix in the cooker and drop dollops of the frosting over the mix (in center). Cook in micro for about 9 minutes. You should have a rotating tray in the micro.

Turn over onto a plate that is NOT flat (lava will spill over!).

3. Smashie

Smashie

I just made this tonight.......again. YUMMY

4. Chef Carrie

Chef Carrie

Thank you!!! I thought it was possibly something made in the large micro-cooker. I am a new consultant and recently "purchased" many new items with my PC bucks. I haven't really used the micro-cooker yet. Any suggestions other than melting things?

5. PC_CPR

PC_CPR

The recipe file here on this site also has ideas. I've used it for potatoes.

BTW, I just remembered that recently they mentioned here on this site--possibly what you originally saw--that you can do the cake in the classic batter bowl. I haven't tried it yet.

I will say that you do the cake at a show--you WILL sell several cookers. I sold 6 at one show and 2 at the following show where several raved about the previous show! Not bad for a 15 minute demo (including opening the mix box)!

6. dwyerkim

dwyerkim

I"d like to try this at a show but I'm really kind of scared of it flopping... I don't have a rotating tray in my own microwave so I can't test it out. Any other tips for making this? I have not had luck with the stoneware fluted pan micro cakes at my house (only did it once though)... again, maybe it's since I dont' have the rotating piece, though I did turn the cake every few minutes as the recipe suggested.

7. Carissidy

Carissidy

I have been wanting to try this recipe for a long time, how much better does it get to have hot cake freshly made in 9 mins?? Thats awesome for a last minute dessert!

8. ljeffries

ljeffries

My microwave is kind of small, so the cakes don't work for me in it.
    Practice at a friends house with a 'full-sized' microwave.

9. Smashie

Smashie

I have made it twice, and it's awesome. I am going to take it in to a business and demo it there. I will already put the ingredients together, and just flip it over and serve!!!

10. chefheidi2003

chefheidi2003 Gold Member

I love this recipe. And I always flip it out onto the Celebrate Plate

11. buzz26

buzz26

Just to make sure...you mix the cake in the cooker...drop icing on it...then microwave.

Don't want to miss up something so simple:)

12. chefheidi2003

Yes just mix the cake, in a bowl I always use my batter bowl and then spray the inside of cooker, at least that is what I do and then pour the batter in and drop the icing on it.

MMMMMMMMM

13. PC_CPR

PC_CPR

Smashie--that's a great idea.

Heidi, I've made the cake in the cooker at least a dozen times and have never sprayed the inside. It's just not necessary. I use the Mix n Scraper to scoop out any remaining choc. It cleans up easy with warm water!

BTW--I tell my customers to time me--cake is done in less than 15 minutes including the time it takes to open the box! I had two customers tell me that they made the cake the same day their products arrived (without needing a recipe either--just from my demo).

14. PC_CPR

PC_CPR

Oh, and I mix all the ingredients right in the cooker using the whisk. It's such an awesome demo--and yes, yummy too. I also made it once with lemon cake and choc frosting (just what I had in the cupboard) and it looked nice with the two color effect.

15. Smashie

Smashie

That's how I make it too! No need to get anything else dirty!!;)

16. buzz26

buzz26

Fabulous! I've just signed and don't have all the great products to make many things. I've got to build my collection. The lave cake is a great way to start. Sounds like it impresses guests too.

17. dwyerkim

dwyerkim

so how do you serve this? I"m envisioning it being kind of messy... can you cut slices or do you kind of use a spoon to scoop it?

18. PC_CPR

PC_CPR

You slice it. There's some sauce that you can scoop over the slice but the slice will have some already.

19. pamperedbykathy

pamperedbykathy

I do my in the BB. I have taken the ingredients to two partys we have gone to and made right there so the cake is still warm when eaten, but doesn't heat the kitchen. I have gotten alot of ahhhs and have sold some BB because of it.

It is just so it easy and fun it is hard to stay on my diet. I realize that it is only 4 points on Weight Watchers, but the number 4 multiplied a few times sure adds up. lol

Kathy

20. ginamkiely

ginamkiely

i couldn't live without my micro-cooker. i have both but usually only use the large one. everynight i use it for my veggies with dinner, put any veggie in it, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, whatever, put an inch of water in it, microwave it for 5 minutes and you have perfectly steamed veggies. i've already sold about 15 of these in 3 months, they're a must have!

21. ahammons

ahammons

If you cook it in the BB, how long do you need to cook it??

22. chefheidi2003

Wow thank you so much here I was making my batter bowl dirty when all this time I could have been keeping it clean on this to dirty on something else.

23. PC_CPR

PC_CPR

It takes about 9 minutes on the Rice Cooker AND the batter bowl.

24. tractorgal

tractorgal

I did a party which consisted mostly of my co-workers. I did the volcano cake in the rice cooker. I was so proud the way I was presenting it. When it was time to turn it onto a plate, and lifted the cooker up, I realized I had forgotten the dollops of frosting. I was stunned!! Everyone laughed and it was the joke of the evening. I think I sold at least one of the cookers that evening. Have made it at home, and it is delicious!!

25. Denarella

Denarella

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried any other kind of cake/frosting combos with this one? I don't know if anyone has tried the boxed 'butter' flavored (You use a whole stick of butter) cakes (dunkin hinz, I think) but my goodness are THEY good. And this recipe can definitely be done in the micro in the batter bowl? (I only have the small micro cooker and I dont have the rice cooker yet)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.