• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trying New Chili Lime Shrimp Recipe - What's Your Take?

In summary, the Spice Hunter tested out a new chili lime spice and everyone seems to love it. It is a keeper, with multiple uses.
leftymac
Anyone try this yet? What do you think?

I'm marinating some shrimp with it right now, but it just smells like regular old chili powder to me. Seems to be all chili and no lime.

Glad you're testing it out. You'll have to let us know how it tastes! :)(It was fun seeing you at Launch, by the way...:))

Tasted it plain....YUM (with capital letters...yessss).Put it on popcorn, which is a great way to test taste new spices (use it on the last 1/2 or 1/3 of the bag...sparingly)....again YUM!!!!I got home this morn from Portland SL at about 2:30 AM. Suzanne had already started a chicken marinade in a buttermilk marinade and this seems like it will go great with the flavors. Looking forward to trying it tonight on the chicken.I think this spice is a keeper.

My first bottle (the one I got at Launch) is almost gone already! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

Oh, and did I mention that I really love it? :love::D

At Launch, I sprinkled it on my otherwise bland turkey sandwich - YUM!
Then, I sprinkled some into my potato salad. Double YUM!

The next day, Super Bowl Sunday (which, is not about football at all for me, it's all about the snacks and the commercials!) I made a variation of the Jerk Chicken Nachos, except with the Chili Lime Rub instead. I also added some red onion to the veggies - but otherwise made them as written. We've always loved the Jerk Nachos - but the Chili Lime Rub was over the top good! In fact, they were so good that I have another batch in the oven even as I type. We are having them again tonight!

The sour cream with the Chili Lime rub in it - so good! I imagine if you have some on shrimp with just a little lime juice, that the shrimp will be amazing!

Becky, you make it all sound so amazing. I barely noticed it on my shrimp; it made me sad.I will keep trying it, though!

babywings76 said:
Glad you're testing it out. You'll have to let us know how it tastes! :)

(It was fun seeing you at Launch, by the way...:))

It was fun seeing you! You're so pretty in person. :)

Made taco's last night and used this in the salsa and on the taco salad...it was very good...it's my new favorite

Apparently my taste buds are dead tonight, or I just didn't use enough rub.

I added some to some baked beans tonight and it was great!

Now I am really looking forward to trying it after seeing what you guys said about it. Keith and Amanda it was great to meet the 2 of you.

leftymac said:
Apparently my taste buds are dead tonight, or I just didn't use enough rub.

Do you have a cold, Keith? :yuck::p

I've heard before that women have a better sense of smell than men....so maybe I can appreciate the nuances of the flavors more? :p:p:p

ChefBeckyD said:
Do you have a cold, Keith? :yuck::p

I've heard before that women have a better sense of smell than men....so maybe I can appreciate the nuances of the flavors more? :p:p:p

Nope, I don't have a cold! Maybe I didn't put enough of it on. I dunno. I was hoping it'd be my new favorite rub, but it's hard to top the Greek Rub!

I put some on a little piece of chicken tonight. I used the chicken in the Mexican Chicken Napoleans. I didn't taste the rub at all. Perhaps like Keith I didn't use enough, but it looked like I fairly covered that little piece of chicken. I left the rest of the chicken plain for the rest of the family.

I need to post my review of the Napoleans in the recipe thread. But I did think of adding the rub to the mayo to boost the flavor and it made me think of the Jerk Chicken Nachos. Or, to use the chili lime in the 15 Minute Fajitas.

I used it on some tortilla chips and popped them in the oven about 10 minutes. They were better than the store bought ones. Keith I too found that with some of the rubs I nearly had to double up on the rub called for in recipes. The Moroccan and the Lemon Pepper ones in particular. So you are probably right on that one. plus, everyone's taste buds are different. I have issues picking up the taste of garlic so I tend to over do it so I can taste it. It then becomes too much for others. You may have that issue with the lime.

leftymac said:
Nope, I don't have a cold! Maybe I didn't put enough of it on. I dunno. I was hoping it'd be my new favorite rub, but it's hard to top the Greek Rub!

The Greek Rub is my other favorite. I love that on and in just about everything.

I mixed a little with mayo last night and used it as a dip for my pretzels (does that sound gross?) I could definitley taste the lime right away and then the heat came a second or two after. Its yummy. I am really partial to chilli and lime, maybe that's why it was so easy for me to taste. I think it will be great on nachos, chicken, dips, cream cheese tortilla rolls, chilli, etc

Everyone's taste buds are different. This may sound silly, but you can use blue food dye to "test" your taste buds. It works kinda like the pink tablets we got as kids from the dentist...but instead of showing where you need to brush, this shows your sensitivity to taste, especially bitterness.

Below is an excerpt from a BBC article (google 'blue dye to test taste buds' for more info):

To test your taste buds, you need some blue food colouring, a piece of paper with a 7mm-wide hole punched through it, and a magnifying glass.

Swab some of the food colouring onto the tip of your tongue. The tongue will take up the dye, but the papillae, tiny structures that house the taste buds, will stay pink.
Put the piece of paper on the front part of the tongue and, using the magnifying glass, count how many pink dots are inside the hole.

Fewer than 15 papillae mean you are an insensitive "non-taster", between 15 and 35 indicates an average "taster" and over 35 papillae then you are a "super-taster".

I am a citrus nut, so I really like it more than the plain stuff. I think the lime flavor is very present. I pulled mine out at SL and tried it plain and it is very good. Got some kick to it, but that is expected. Love the lime!

1. Can I substitute the shrimp for another protein?

Yes, you can definitely substitute the shrimp for another protein such as chicken or tofu. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.

2. Is the chili lime marinade spicy?

The level of spiciness in the marinade can be adjusted to your preference. If you prefer a milder flavor, you can reduce the amount of chili powder or omit it altogether.

3. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?

Yes, you can prepare the marinade and marinate the shrimp ahead of time, but it is best to cook the shrimp right before serving for optimal freshness.

4. Can I grill the shrimp instead of baking them?

Yes, you can definitely grill the shrimp for a smokier flavor. Just make sure to skewer the shrimp before grilling to prevent them from falling through the grates.

5. What sides would pair well with this chili lime shrimp?

This recipe pairs well with a variety of sides such as rice, quinoa, or a salad. Some other suggestions include grilled vegetables or a side of black beans for a complete meal.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• magentablue
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Barry Carlton
Replies
Views
kam
  • BadGirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies