• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Canned Chicken Vs Chicken Breast

In summary, some people use canned chicken in their chicken club wreath, but others don't think it's very good. The best brands are the ones that you can find at Costco or Sam's Club.
floccies
Has anyone used canned chicken in any of our rings/wreaths? Specifically the chicken club ring?

I was just wondering if you could taste a difference.

Ew I wouldn't eat canned chicken!

I've used canned chicken many times for the chicken/broccoli ring and never had a complaint!

I use to hate canned chicken, but lately I have begun to use it more often. I think there is a different taste, but I also don't think that it is bad. It has really good flavor. I have learned though, don't buy the cheap brand, it's not good at all!

candiejayne said:
I use to hate canned chicken, but lately I have begun to use it more often. I think there is a different taste, but I also don't think that it is bad. It has really good flavor. I have learned though, don't buy the cheap brand, it's not good at all!

I regularly use canned chicken in the rings, and I agree with Andrea, that if you don't go with the cheap stuff, it tastes good! That being said, the two that I've found that I enjoy are the ones you get in the big cans at either Sam's Club or Costco and Swanson's. There are some inexpensive ones at the grocery stores that are down right nasty.

I use canned chicken all the time and I agree with the others. You need to go with a name brand.

I buy Kirkland canned chicken (Costco's brand) and use it all the time. I don't make rings or braids, but I like it for making Jerk Chicken Nachos. I can whip them up in 10 minutes when I used canned chicken, so it's a quick meal for us.

It's also good for chicken salad or chicken spread. I agree though, get a good brand!

I use it all the time when demo-ing. I look at it as a time saver for shows (like using Cool Whip instead of actually whipping up some cream). I tell the guests that to save time, I'm using canned (or bagged) chicken, but that when making this at home I cook up some chicken breast. This way, those that would go the can route at home know they have that option....and I'm also not offending those who view canned chicken as unnacceptable in their own homes.

I like Leggy's approach because it respects the feelings of both groups. You can also show off the can opener by using a can of chicken, too. ;)Personally, I rarely use canned chicken. But when I do, I find that it's better when it's in a recipe that's heavy on seasonings or fixings (like nachos, rings, etc.); not so much when it's "naked."

I most often use it in dips and for chicken salad sandwiches. Right now I have Tyson brand in the cubbard, but most often I have the brand the carry at Sam's Club, just can't think of the actual brand right now. The last time I bought canned chicken, I was having one of my mentally off days, I think I stood in front of the cans for probably 10 minutes trying to decide which brand to get, and its because I'm that picky about it.

PS- I have learned to not go grocery shopping on my mentally off days because it can take me up to 3 hours to spend $150 or so.

I very rarely use canned chicken. I do however buy chicken breasts on sale and cook extra when I'm making a meal and freeze the extra to use for a quick meal later on.

I can't even fathom using canned chicken. It sounds positively awful, despite what others have said about it being tasty. I just could never use it myself.

Cooking some chicken breasts takes about 15 minutes, so I don't see cooking it from "scratch" as being too terribly difficult or time consuming. If I'm in a real time crunch, I'd just pick up a rotisserie chicken from teh grocery store and use that.

BadGirl said:
I can't even fathom using canned chicken. It sounds positively awful, despite what others have said about it being tasty. I just could never use it myself.

Cooking some chicken breasts takes about 15 minutes, so I don't see cooking it from "scratch" as being too terribly difficult or time consuming. If I'm in a real time crunch, I'd just pick up a rotisserie chicken from teh grocery store and use that.

Unless you don't have chicken in the house already you could have it cooked by the time you go to the store. I tell people that fresh is always better and actually takes less time and money.

I tell people that we can use these convenience items but if we think about it, it only takes a few minutes more to cook from scratch and it's better for us, costs less and tastes better.

We can also compare a night out with cooking dinner (especially with all our 29 minute dinners): Have them say how much it costs to eat out - use fast food and a sit down restaurant for examples. Then go over the cost of a typical recipe. I point out that by the time we drive to a restaurant, wait to be seated, wait to give our order, wait to get our food and put up with a bad table, other customers who are inconsiderate of those around them and waiter who could care less about us, etc. I could have made the meal myself and for the cost one one of us eating out. (That being said, all my DH has to say is "do you want to go out" and I am not cooking that night. Go figure.)

I used to think it was horrible also, then I tried it in a recipe. It is very good and easy. I understand you can cook up chicken breasts in no time at all in the microwave in the DCB and I do all the time, but sometimes you don't have fresh on hand and the canned stays good much longer!! It's something that I always have in my pantry now. I would recommend always getting white meat chicken though. It's great for chicken casseroles, chicken salad, nachos and I would say the wreaths and braids would be good!

chefshawna said:
I used to think it was horrible also, then I tried it in a recipe. It is very good and easy. I understand you can cook up chicken breasts in no time at all in the microwave in the DCB and I do all the time, but sometimes you don't have fresh on hand and the canned stays good much longer!! It's something that I always have in my pantry now. I would recommend always getting white meat chicken though. It's great for chicken casseroles, chicken salad, nachos and I would say the wreaths and braids would be good!

Yes, those that know me, know that "fresh is best" is a mantra for me!

But, I still keep canned chicken on hand - because it's still quicker than cooking chicken, and then chopping it up. Like I said in my previous post, I can have Chicken Nachos, or Chicken Tacos ready in 10 minutes with less mess. So, if I need a super quick meal, or if I'm under the weather, and just don't feel like cooking at all - canned chicken is a great option!

I guess I have no aversion to canned chicken because I grew up on a farm, where we had our own chickens, and every year we would butcher and can about 25-35 chickens. So, I grew up with home-canned chicken. We used it for chicken tacos, chicken and dumplings, casseroles, etc....

ChefBeckyD said:
Yes, those that know me, know that "fresh is best" is a mantra for me!

But, I still keep canned chicken on hand - because it's still quicker than cooking chicken, and then chopping it up. Like I said in my previous post, I can have Chicken Nachos, or Chicken Tacos ready in 10 minutes with less mess. So, if I need a super quick meal, or if I'm under the weather, and just don't feel like cooking at all - canned chicken is a great option!

I guess I have no aversion to canned chicken because I grew up on a farm, where we had our own chickens, and every year we would butcher and can about 25-35 chickens. So, I grew up with home-canned chicken. We used it for chicken tacos, chicken and dumplings, casseroles, etc....

Becky, were you at the Spring Regional Meeting in Grand Rapids on Saturday? I know that there was a Becky there that mentioned she got the Booking Coupons from this sight, and thought maybe it was you... it's always kind of cool to put a face with the name...

I normally think things like that are gross but I have found that the Costco brand canned chicken works really well in our rings... or for chicken salad sandwiches, etc and the like. I wouldn't eat it plain... it smells alot like canned tuna right out of the can, lol.

If you had told me a few years ago that I'd consider canned chicken white meat a pantry staple, I'd have believed you were crazy. Then, about a year and a half ago I used it in a recipe. I definitely prefer the flavor of home-cooked. However, as Shawna said, the canned stays good longer. Living in the geographical center of nowhere, I can't always get out to pick things up when the weather turns nasty.

The Costco canned chicken is pretty good. I have used it on Clubhouse Chicken squares.

ChefPaulaB said:
Becky, were you at the Spring Regional Meeting in Grand Rapids on Saturday? I know that there was a Becky there that mentioned she got the Booking Coupons from this sight, and thought maybe it was you... it's always kind of cool to put a face with the name...

Yep! That was me! So you got to hear my speil in person.:eek: You've probably guessed by now that I'm a pretty shy, reserved person.;):D

(just look in the files here under booking coupons)

So - who is your director? You must be in 3rd wave for conference with us then?

Yes, fresh is best, but canned is handy and not too bad if it is a brand name.

I agree with the ALL white meat cans... WAY better!

ChefBeckyD said:
Yep! That was me! So you got to hear my speil in person.:eek: You've probably guessed by now that I'm a pretty shy, reserved person.;):D

(just look in the files here under booking coupons)

So - who is your director? You must be in 3rd wave for conference with us then?

Yep, 3rd wave. My director is Sue Remelts... I was the one that had $800 in PC dollars in my first 90 days :blushing:

I did notice that you were pretty shy! haha! Wish I could be more like all of you that got up there! When I do my shows it's so hard for me to really feel comfortable... And after a whole year, I still don't have my speil down... probably because I am not very consistent with my shows... I haven't had a kitchen show since November. I made a couple calls today, but am having a rough time getting myself in gear to get some shows lined up, was hoping that the Spring kickoff would motivate me, but hasn't seemed to work. Anyway, nice "meeting" you!!! Did enjoy your speil!

ChefPaulaB said:
Yep, 3rd wave. My director is Sue Remelts... I was the one that had $800 in PC dollars in my first 90 days :blushing:

I did notice that you were pretty shy! haha! Wish I could be more like all of you that got up there! When I do my shows it's so hard for me to really feel comfortable... And after a whole year, I still don't have my speil down... probably because I am not very consistent with my shows... I haven't had a kitchen show since November. I made a couple calls today, but am having a rough time getting myself in gear to get some shows lined up, was hoping that the Spring kickoff would motivate me, but hasn't seemed to work. Anyway, nice "meeting" you!!! Did enjoy your speil!

Ah - yes....I know who you are - you were sitting right across the aisle from me!
Congrats on such a great start! One of my consultants was sitting next to me trying to figure out how you did it!
Sue was the one who did the drawings for product, right?

This is a hard time of the year to stay motivated....It might have helped more if we'd had the new products there! I was really disappointed that we didn't get to see them.

There are some really great training CD's that you can buy from supply that are very motivating. It helps me to listen to those in the car. The other thing that really motivates me is to just keep going - stay on the phone until you get a booking....and then it feels so good when you do!
I try to look at it like any other job - I'm not going to love any job all of the time, but if I just keep going, the good times will come too!

ChefBeckyD said:
Ah - yes....I know who you are - you were sitting right across the aisle from me!
Congrats on such a great start! One of my consultants was sitting next to me trying to figure out how you did it!
Sue was the one who did the drawings for product, right?

This is a hard time of the year to stay motivated....It might have helped more if we'd had the new products there! I was really disappointed that we didn't get to see them.

There are some really great training CD's that you can buy from supply that are very motivating. It helps me to listen to those in the car. The other thing that really motivates me is to just keep going - stay on the phone until you get a booking....and then it feels so good when you do!
I try to look at it like any other job - I'm not going to love any job all of the time, but if I just keep going, the good times will come too!

Yes, Sue was the one doing the drawing. I know that I need to do some more online training and listen to some of that type of thing, and just get on the phone. I know once I get going (like I did in November) I feel better, but it's hard sometimes. I was very disappointed about the new products not being there too! That was the main reason I went. I kept telling my DH that I had to go so I could see the new products and see them demo'd... very disappointing! Oh well, it was still good, and I didn't know I was going to have to get up in front of everyone, that felt kind of good, to stand out in something. Anyway, thanks for the pep talk! Have a great night!

1. What are the main differences between canned chicken and chicken breast?

Canned chicken is precooked and preserved in a can with water or broth, while chicken breast is typically sold fresh or frozen and requires cooking before consumption. Canned chicken also tends to have a softer texture and less flavor compared to chicken breast.

2. Is canned chicken as nutritious as chicken breast?

Canned chicken and chicken breast have similar nutritional profiles, with both being good sources of protein. However, canned chicken may be higher in sodium due to the added preservatives. It is important to check the nutrition label for specific information.

3. Can you use canned chicken as a substitute for chicken breast in recipes?

Yes, canned chicken can be used as a substitute in many recipes that call for chicken breast. However, keep in mind that the texture and flavor may be different, so it may not be the best option for all dishes.

4. How should canned chicken be stored?

Canned chicken should be stored in a cool, dry place, such as a pantry or cabinet. Once opened, it should be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.

5. Are there any health concerns with consuming canned chicken?

Canned chicken is generally safe to consume, but it is important to check the expiration date and make sure the can is not damaged or bloated. There have been some concerns about the use of BPA in can linings, so choosing BPA-free canned chicken may be a better option for some individuals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Roadtripray
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
  • kzegar
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • SarahT