• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Re-Freeze Peas for a Salad?

In summary, the peas can be refrozen. The recipe for the 7 layer salad is flexible, but includes bacon, peas, lettuce, red pepper, and cheese. The recipe is easy to alter to personal taste.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Hi all! I bought a bag of peas yesterday for a seafood salad, and a 7 layer salad. I forgot that I only needed half of the bag for my seafood salad TODAY and the other half I will use for the 7 layer salad for our TEAM's annual swim party/picnic. Can I refreeze the bag now? They are actually still partially frozen. I just know they will get slimey if I leave them in the frig till Sunday for that salad!

Absolutely you can refreeze them. I know you have a purpose for these peas, but what I sometimes do in the winter... I take an icecube tray and I put those little bits of veggies that are left from dinner into the tray and freeze them. When I have enough I make a pot of veggie soup (obvioulsy adding other things as well).

What is your recipe for the 7 layer salad??

Thanks! I figured it was OK, but I didn't want to ruin them for the salad!

My 7 layer salad is just:

(layered in our trifle bowl, of course!)
Lettuce (you can even use the shredded iceburg or whatever kind you like!)
1 Red pepper, diced
cooked and crumbled bacon
1/2 bag thawed frozen peas
1/2 small red onion finely diced
Shredded cheese
Hard boiled eggs, quartered

Leave everything in layers and pour dressing over the top. When you are dishing it out, just make sure you dig straight down so you get some of each layer!

You can use whatever dressing you would like, but I make my own for this salad. Miracle whip dressing, vinegar, and white sugar. I eyeball the measurements so they are about 1 c. M whip, 3 T. white or white wine vinegar, and 1 T. sugar? You can alter that to your taste. Oh! Add some salt and pepper to it too! Don't put the dressing on it till you are ready to serve it!

Sounds delicious. I'll have to give it a try!!

It is VERY good! Everytime I make it and take it somewhere, I come home with an empty bowl!

That sounds good Kelly! Thanks for sharing. :)

My aunt used to make it and she never made a dressing just straight miracle whip.
I wish she was still alive to make it and her famous chocolate cake

1. Can I re-freeze peas after they have been thawed for a salad?

According to the USDA, it is safe to refreeze peas if they have been thawed properly in the refrigerator and have not been left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.

2. How should I thaw peas for a salad?

The safest way to thaw peas for a salad is to place them in the refrigerator overnight. Alternatively, you can place them in a sealed plastic bag and submerge them in cold water until they are thawed.

3. Can I cook peas before adding them to a salad?

Yes, you can cook peas before adding them to a salad. However, make sure to cool them down before adding them to the salad to prevent wilting of the other ingredients.

4. How long can I keep a salad with peas in the refrigerator?

A salad with peas can be kept in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. However, the longer it sits, the less fresh and crisp it will be.

5. Can I freeze a salad with peas in it?

It is not recommended to freeze a salad with peas in it, as the texture and taste will be affected. It is best to consume the salad fresh for optimal flavor and texture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JAE
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jenf
  • scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
iteachncook
Replies