• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Freezing Watermelon: Is It Possible?

In summary, you can cut a "plug" out of the rind, pour in a bottle of vodka, re-plug it, and freeze it. It makes watermelon slushies.
pamperedape
A friend is asking and I have never though of it!!

I know you can cut a "plug" out of the rind, pour in a bottle of vodka, re-plug it, and freeze it. It makes watermelon slushies.

I've seen it in bagged frozen fruit salad, but I don't think it recovers well after thawing.

chefann said:
I know you can cut a "plug" out of the rind, pour in a bottle of vodka, re-plug it, and freeze it. It makes watermelon slushies.

I've seen it in bagged frozen fruit salad, but I don't think it recovers well after thawing.

That sounds good!!:p

I think it gets really mushy when defrosted. But it does work well if you freeze it and make watermelon margaritas.

We put ours in the freezer to get it cold before we eat it and if I forget to take it out it does not taste good once it has frozen.

I do cut mine up and put it in the fridge and it will last for around a week in there.

I am going to hijack this a bit, but it reminded me since we are on the subject of watermelon...

I was watching one of the home shopping channels and I am always intereted when they have cookware or knives or what have you on..well, one night I actually taped it because there was a chef on who was demoing her line of knives. She did a demo on cutting a watermelon...cut the ends of the melon off, like feet, (like we are to do w/ pineapple) set the melon upright, and take your santoku and slice down the rind, like slicing a pineapple. It was ingenious! Let me tell you, we have had more watermelon this summer than we've ever had because it is SO easy to do!!!! No more melon balls! Once the rind is cut off, just cut down the middle and slice up! Try it! It's great!

Yes, you can freeze watermelon. I freeze watermelon and place in my juicer with the 'Blank" attachment and have watermelon sorbet. You could probably blend it to get sorbet as well.

YummyAguas Frescas are the best!!!

I freeze watermelon to put in this recipe! It's so delicious!! My family loves it and it's so much cheaper to make your own than to buy it!

Agua de Sandia

2 cups diced seedless watermelon, with rind removed
6 cups water
1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)

Place one cup diced watermelon in blender, along with two cups of the water. Blend until liquified. Pour into a pitcher. Place remaining cup of watermelon in blender, along with two more cups water. Blend thoroughly and pour into pitcher. Add remaining two cups of water and sugar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Chill thoroughly before serving. Pour into tall, ice-filled glasses and serve. If using frozen watermelon you don't have to wait so long to chill it before serving. It's usually very cold and yummy!!

Debbie :D

There is a spa that I go toThat freezes watermellon into ice cube pieces, and they puts it in the water - in place of lemon. It's so darn good.

When we were in China adopting our daughter, they had watermelon juice in the restauraunts for breakfast. Yummy! When we got home we tried it by throwing it in the blender. Works like a charm! Not frozen, but good nevertheless. It could probably be frozen after blending too.

Off topic, and this is a OLD post, but how do you tell if a watermelon is ripe? I never can seem to pick a good one.

1. Can you freeze a whole watermelon?

Yes, you can freeze a whole watermelon. However, it is best to cut the watermelon into smaller pieces before freezing. This will make it easier to thaw and use later on.

2. How do you freeze watermelon?

To freeze watermelon, cut it into desired sized pieces and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Once frozen, transfer the pieces to a freezer-safe bag or container and store in the freezer.

3. Can you freeze watermelon juice?

Yes, you can freeze watermelon juice. Simply pour the juice into ice cube trays or freezer-safe bags and freeze until solid. These frozen cubes can then be used in smoothies or to add flavor to water or other drinks.

4. How long can you keep frozen watermelon?

Frozen watermelon can last up to 12 months in the freezer if stored properly in an airtight container or bag. However, for best quality, it is recommended to use it within 3-6 months.

5. Can you thaw frozen watermelon?

Yes, you can thaw frozen watermelon. Simply transfer the frozen pieces from the freezer to the refrigerator and allow them to thaw overnight. You can also thaw the pieces in a bowl of cold water for quicker defrosting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
CRuff
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies