Can you freeze watermelon?

Discussion in 'Chef's Lounge' started by pamperedape, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pamperedape

pamperedape

A friend is asking and I have never though of it!!

2. chefann

chefann Gold Member

I know you can cut a "plug" out of the rind, pour in a bottle of vodka, re-plug it, and freeze it. It makes watermelon slushies.

I've seen it in bagged frozen fruit salad, but I don't think it recovers well after thawing.

3. letscook04

letscook04 Gold Member

That sounds good!!:p

4. kmschroll2001

kmschroll2001

I think it gets really mushy when defrosted. But it does work well if you freeze it and make watermelon margaritas.

5. jrstephens

jrstephens

We put ours in the freezer to get it cold before we eat it and if I forget to take it out it does not taste good once it has frozen.

I do cut mine up and put it in the fridge and it will last for around a week in there.

6. chefsteph07

chefsteph07

I am going to hijack this a bit, but it reminded me since we are on the subject of watermelon...

I was watching one of the home shopping channels and I am always intereted when they have cookware or knives or what have you on..well, one night I actually taped it because there was a chef on who was demoing her line of knives. She did a demo on cutting a watermelon...cut the ends of the melon off, like feet, (like we are to do w/ pineapple) set the melon upright, and take your santoku and slice down the rind, like slicing a pineapple. It was ingenious! Let me tell you, we have had more watermelon this summer than we've ever had because it is SO easy to do!!!! No more melon balls! Once the rind is cut off, just cut down the middle and slice up! Try it! It's great!

7. Darcia

Darcia

Yes, you can freeze watermelon. I freeze watermelon and place in my juicer with the 'Blank" attachment and have watermelon sorbet. You could probably blend it to get sorbet as well.

8. DebbieSAChef

DebbieSAChef

Yummy

Aguas Frescas are the best!!!

I freeze watermelon to put in this recipe! It's so delicious!! My family loves it and it's so much cheaper to make your own than to buy it!

Agua de Sandia

2 cups diced seedless watermelon, with rind removed
    6 cups water
    1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)

Place one cup diced watermelon in blender, along with two cups of the water. Blend until liquified. Pour into a pitcher. Place remaining cup of watermelon in blender, along with two more cups water. Blend thoroughly and pour into pitcher. Add remaining two cups of water and sugar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Chill thoroughly before serving. Pour into tall, ice-filled glasses and serve. If using frozen watermelon you don't have to wait so long to chill it before serving. It's usually very cold and yummy!!

Debbie :D

9. ltkacz

ltkacz Guest

There is a spa that I go to

That freezes watermellon into ice cube pieces, and they puts it in the water - in place of lemon. It's so darn good.

10. Joyful

Joyful Guest

When we were in China adopting our daughter, they had watermelon juice in the restauraunts for breakfast. Yummy! When we got home we tried it by throwing it in the blender. Works like a charm! Not frozen, but good nevertheless. It could probably be frozen after blending too.

11. cwinter474

cwinter474 Gold Member

Off topic, and this is a OLD post, but how do you tell if a watermelon is ripe? I never can seem to pick a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.