• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Brown Rice in a Microwave: Tips & Tricks

In summary, Kristi recommends following the microwave directions on the package for brown rice. She uses broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable) instead of water to add flavor, and her customer-reported that it never quite got done. Kristi also suggests that the customer try the rice cooker and increase the water as needed.
KRISTI'SCOOKING
Does anyone have any tips for cooking brown rice in the small micro cooker? Kristi

Just follow the microwave directions on the package. I use broth (beef, chicken, vegetable) instead of water to add flavor.

she - my customer- said she had to keep adding more and more water and that it never quite got done. i cheat and use the 10 min. rice in a bag so I dont have this problem and wasnt sure what to tell her. Kristi

She shouldn't be making rice in the microcooker. She needs the rice cooker. Too much liquid escapes in the microcooker to cook it properly.

Brown rice is a little tricky to cook. I actually melted my first rice cooker b/c I increased the cook time--my son refers it to "the time mommy made a mistake in the kitchen and the house smelled awful". Luckily I didn't catch the place on fire! Anyhow, if you use the rice cooker, you do need to adjust the cooking time and increase the water as compared to white rice. I'm also at high altitude (6000 ft) so that makes it a little dicier for me.

Gee, I need to start reading things closer. Yeah, there's a big difference between the micro-cookers and the rice cooker. (I just saw the word "microwave.") Usually the microwave directions on my rice includes extra liquid. It's also important to remember that each microwave oven is different. The time it takes in mine will be different than yours.

Actually, white rice cooks beautifully in the micro cooker. Brown rice has a totally different texture than white rice when cooked though and may need to be cooked different. But if there are microwave directions on the package, she should try them and adjust from there.

DebbieJ said:
She shouldn't be making rice in the microcooker. She needs the rice cooker. Too much liquid escapes in the microcooker to cook it properly.
This was my first thought too!
I don't like making brown rice in my rice cooker because I have to pay so much attention to it! I stir more often to check the water content and it just is too time consuming! I don't want to be a slave to the kitchen, that's why I love PC! I usually still cook it in cookware on the stove, because it tuns out better for me in there and I can see right through the lid to see what's going on! I also use different broths to add flavor and I like to add some of our seasoning to it before I start cooking it, I like the Italian in it the most, but the asian rocks too for my asian meals!

But I definetley would try the rice cooker before the micro cooker when it comes to brown rice! Shoot I never used my micro cookers for any rice. I've always used the stove, until they brought out the rice cooker. Now any other type of rice other than brown goes in there!

I use my micro cooker for white rice too. It comes out fine. I have the rice cooker but I am not real fond of it. The clear plastic part of the lid always falls out and the ring too. So I do not endorse them at my shows. Do they all do that or is mine a reject? Kristi

I think they probably all do that a little, and maybe it's something that's worth bringing up to product developement. I am thoroughly impressed with the result and I can even salvage destroyed rice in the rice cooker! I don't have a lot of problems with the clear lid and my ring only comes out when I wash it in the dishwasher! Othere than that I don't have problems with it!
My best friend loves it and it's one of her very favorites! And she has about 3/4 of our products! She supports her best friend!:D I think it's because she use to ALWAYS burn rice! And now she doesn't, she's the one that told me about adding water to rice that iis destroyed and bringing it slowly back to life!

the clear plastic piece is supposed to stay on the base after you've cooked the rice. You take the lid off, then use a fork or knife or something inserted into the center hole to pull back the clear lid.

I do my best to tell people this when they order one. That way they don't call me and tell me it's defective.

I love brown rice. If you have a Fred Meyer, I use their brand name rice. I put 2 1/4 cups water for 1 cup of rice. I cook it for 20 minutes on HIGH. Done perfectly. In the Rice Cooker.

You just have to get to know your microwave and rice. I use to use another brand and the rice never felt done. Brown Rice will always have a bite to it like Al Dente, but should never feel not cooked.

dwyerkim said:
You take the lid off, then use a fork or knife or something inserted into the center hole to pull back the clear lid.

The Bamboo Tongs work beautifully for this.

Thank you for all the tips, ladies! I know i can always find the answers here!
Kristi

Brown rice generally needs more time to cook than standard white rice. As a result, its best to add a little more water (or broth). Also, I prefer using the rice cooker over the microcookers. The rice cooker allows the steam to really cook the rice, whereas the microcooker doesn't use the steam to cook, but rather allows it to escape.

Joelen - that has to be one of the best blogs I have ever visited! I'm hungry now after looking thru your pictures and food descriptions!

I love the Rice Cooker! Living in Hawaii rice is a staple.
The cooker makes wihte rice nice and sticky, the way we love it.

I am just now trying the brown rice and am anxious to try tpchefrebecca's suggestions.

Joelen said:
Brown rice generally needs more time to cook than standard white rice. As a result, its best to add a little more water (or broth). Also, I prefer using the rice cooker over the microcookers. The rice cooker allows the steam to really cook the rice, whereas the microcooker doesn't use the steam to cook, but rather allows it to escape.

I have cooked all sorts of rice...quick, easy (and cheap) addition to any meal! I do add a little more liquid as I like my rice moist not sticky or dry. I've never used the microcooker for rice though. Does your customer continue to check and stir her rice while cooking? That could be a reason for the end result not turning out well - every time you open the lid, steam (liquid) is released. I learned the hard way to keep it covered.

On a side note, I have fallen in love with Jasmine Rice and use a coconut milk and water combo to cook it - very tasty!

What is the best way to cook brown rice in a microwave?

The best way to cook brown rice in a microwave is to use a microwave-safe container with a lid, such as a glass or ceramic dish. Rinse the rice before cooking and add the desired amount of water (typically 1 1/2 - 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice). Cover the dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes, then reduce the power to 50% and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Let the rice sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.

Can I use the same ratio of water to rice for cooking brown rice in a microwave as I do on the stovetop?

Yes, you can use the same ratio of water to rice for cooking brown rice in a microwave as you do on the stovetop. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time depending on your microwave's power and the type of rice you are using.

What is the benefit of cooking brown rice in a microwave instead of on the stovetop?

Cooking brown rice in a microwave can be a quicker and more convenient option compared to stovetop cooking. It also allows for more precise control over the cooking time and temperature, resulting in evenly cooked rice.

Can I add seasonings or other ingredients to the rice before cooking it in the microwave?

Yes, you can add seasonings or other ingredients to the rice before cooking it in the microwave. Just be sure to adjust the amount of water accordingly to compensate for any additional moisture from the added ingredients.

How do I store leftover cooked brown rice from the microwave?

To store leftover cooked brown rice from the microwave, let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container and storing it in the refrigerator. It can be stored for up to 4 days. To reheat, add a splash of water to the rice and microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Yakmama
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • Senkimekia
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Senkimekia
  • kitchenqueen