• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Beans in Deep Covered Baker: A Time-Saving Method?

In summary, the best baked beans are slow cooked for about 11 hours. They are delicious and can be made without the use of a ham hock.
Chef Allison Leigh
Help!!!! Has anyone ever cooked beans in the Deep Covered Baker? If yes, for how long?

You know, to me the DCb cooks like a pressure cooker. If no one gives you a definite time here in this thread, I would guess 45 minutes without pre-soak. Make sure to add enough water. Again, that's a guess. I'd love to see what answers you get, or what experimentations work out - good luck! :)

What kind of beans are you talking about? Baked Beans? Green Beans?

I'm thinking she meant dried beans??

I made them a few months ago and just used it like you would a bean crock. Baked them in the oven overnight.

TrudysOwn said:
I made them a few months ago and just used it like you would a bean crock. Baked them in the oven overnight.

Can you give temps/times for this? I have a ham bone I'd like to use with some navy beans :)

This is the recipe I used. I have never used a ham hock -- perhaps if you google it you will see what, if any, special instructions you would follow.

The Best Baked Beans (TH: Used my PC Deep Dish Baker)

These are slow cooked for about 11 hours. And they are delicious.

Ingredients:
1 lb. dry navy beans (TH: I used yellow eye)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 large onion sliced
1Tbsp. salt
4 Tbsp. cider vinegar (TH: Down from 6-8! Next time I'll use even less.)
2 tsp. brown mustard
⅓ C brown sugar
½ C molasses
⅓ C ketchup
⅛ tsp. pepper
¾ lb. salt pork or bacon, diced
(TH: I omitted the 1 ½ tsp of smoke flavoring entirely)

Directions:
Wash beans and put in large bowl.
Cover beans with water and let soak overnight.
Drain and put beans in a 4 qt sauce pan.
Add baking soda and bring to boil.
Again drain and rinse and cover with water and bring to boil again and cook for 10 minutes.
Put onions on bottom of a deep casserole.
Add the rest of the ingredients and then dump the beans and enough of the bean water to cover the beans. Lay salt pork or bacon on top and cover. Put in a 250 F oven (TH: Up from the 225F in original) for 11 hours or until beans are tender. If you have to, add water as it evaporates. After 10 hours or so, you can remove the lid and allow the salt pork or bacon to crisp up.

I have a girl on my team make southern beans all the time from scratch in the DCB...using dried beans. She said that the oven is great. She tried several times using the microwave. She doesn't suggest doing it that way because it keeps boiling over and you need to constantly adding more water to bake them correctly. Plus, it takes almost as long as it does on the stovetop (not DCB) or in the ovenunless you soak your beans overnight

1. Can I use the Deep Covered Baker to cook dried beans?

Yes, the Deep Covered Baker is great for cooking dried beans. Simply add the beans and enough water to cover them, and cook according to the package instructions. The cooker's lid and ceramic material create a perfect seal and even heat distribution, resulting in perfectly cooked beans every time.

2. How long will it take to cook beans in the Deep Covered Baker?

Cooking times may vary depending on the type of beans, but generally it takes about 1-2 hours to cook dried beans in the Deep Covered Baker. It is recommended to check the beans periodically for doneness and adjust the cooking time accordingly.

3. Can I add other ingredients to the beans while they cook in the Deep Covered Baker?

Yes, you can add other ingredients such as vegetables, herbs, or spices to the beans while they cook in the Deep Covered Baker. This will infuse more flavor into the beans and create a delicious one-pot meal.

4. Do I need to soak the beans before cooking them in the Deep Covered Baker?

It is not necessary to soak the beans before cooking them in the Deep Covered Baker, but it can help reduce the cooking time. If you choose to soak the beans, it is recommended to do so for at least 8 hours before cooking.

5. How do I clean the Deep Covered Baker after cooking beans?

The Deep Covered Baker is dishwasher safe, but it is recommended to let it cool down before placing it in the dishwasher. You can also hand wash it with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Make sure to thoroughly dry the baker before storing it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Allison
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefnene
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC