• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring BBQ Pizza Pan Recipes: Frozen Dough vs. Fresh Options

chewy? On the grill I didn't prebake my homemade crust and it made the crust better than my oven! Sweet! Thanks so much!So, if you don't pre-bake the homemade crust, it will be better.
pc_cindy
Gold Member
The recipes that PC has out for the BBQ Pizza Pan call for frozen prepared pizza dough. Do you think this is necessary? Is there any reason that we can't use the kind that comes in a pouch and you add water? Or the Pillsbury kind in a roll in the refrigerator section?

Thoughts? Has anyone tried the pan out yet?

I did my own homemade dough and it worked just fine!

I had the same question...I honestly do not think I have ever seen (or even looked for) frozen pizza dough.

Good to know homemade will work!

I was wondering if the kind you find all dough-y and plump in a bag in the deli or fresh food section of the grocery store would work. And I guess it would, since it is the same idea as homemade (without being homemade, of course!).

I used a gluten-free mix for pizza dough (Namaste brand) and it's rather loose when mixed - like a brownie or quick bread dough. So I par-baked it for 10 minutes on a stone and then transferred it to the pan for the grill. EXCELLENT pizza!

I'm thinking the frozen dough may have been picked because it's easier to make round!

By the way, you can find it in the frozen bread section at WalMart. It's half the cost of the tubes of dough from Pillsbury.

PC's recipes tend to call for refrigerated doughs because that cuts down on prep time, and makes the recipe easier for those who may not have the skills (or desire) to make dough from scratch or use a more labor intensive dough.

I'm just wondering if I use the refrigerated pizza crust if I need to pre-bake it (on the grill or otherwise). The directions do NOT say to prebake it if it's the frozen kind but I know with a homemade one you usually do.... ?

On the grill I didn't prebake my homemade crust and it made the crust better than my oven!

Sweet! Thanks so much!

Has anyone had trouble getting the pizza off the pan once it comes off the grill...had a show on Wednesday made the BBQ Grilled Chicken Pizza, the dough actually cooked around the holes on the bottom of pan and it stuck very badly...thank goodness it was at a host that I have done many parties at...though it was quite embarrassing...but I did sell two of the pans...thanks for any advice

On the pizza pan topic, do you transfer the pizza to something else before slicing it after grilling?

Tania Bonner said:
Has anyone had trouble getting the pizza off the pan once it comes off the grill...had a show on Wednesday made the BBQ Grilled Chicken Pizza, the dough actually cooked around the holes on the bottom of pan and it stuck very badly...thank goodness it was at a host that I have done many parties at...though it was quite embarrassing...but I did sell two of the pans...thanks for any advice

The use and care card says to oil the pan, did you do this?

I found a couple of things to make using the BBQ Pizza Pan a bit easier:

1) Make sure to oil the pan AND the grill. When I've used the pan, the dough exposed thru the slots in the pan stuck to the grill. It worked much better when the grill was oiled.

2) When the pizza was partially cooked, I used the BBQ Flexible Turner to slide under the pizza and loosen it a bit from the pan, minimizing sticking.

3) If you're doing a lot of grilled pizza shows, and want to supply the ingredients yourself, I suggest looking at your local warehouse store for frozen pizza dough in bulk. My local Sam's Club has it in boxes of 20 dough balls for about $14, and I've been getting it there for a couple of years now. It's up front at the snack bar; just ask and they'll pull a box for you. It thaws in about 24 hours in the refrigerator, or in about 3-4 hours on the counter. I use one dough ball per pizza for a medium to thick crust on the Large Round Stone or the BBQ Pizza Pan, or split it in two for thin crust pizzas.

Melissa

My question to the PC Test Kitchen: The recipes for the BBQ Pizza Pan call for frozen prepared pizza dough. Is this necessary? Can I use the kind that that comes in a pouch that you add water to or the refrigerated Pillbury kind in aroll? Your help is appreciated! Thanks.

Their answer: The pizza dough that comes in a pouch that you add water to work great and they are inexpensive. The refrigerated dough's work but they come in a rectangle and if you do not work quickly the dough can get too soft and sink into the holes in the pan which then stick when grilled.

Thanks for the advice about oiling the grill, I do not do that, I had oiled the pan though...

gailz2 said:
On the pizza pan topic, do you transfer the pizza to something else before slicing it after grilling?

I've been transfering the cooked pizza with the Mega Lifters to my stoneware pan to cut. I didn't want the cut marks on my pan..lol - ok, i'm funny like that..

I do not transfer it and have no problem cutting it on the pizza pan. I do not have any cut marks from the pizza cutter that I have noticed, and I've done this pizza at least a dozen times!

We used the kind that comes in a tube last month at our meeting and it was a disaster! We tried to roll it out on the pastry mat first like the recipes says. We had holes and it scrunched up into a wad. :yuck: Lots of learning by doing that recipe as a training!! We then did one of those boxed mixes but transfering it to the pizza pan gave us more problems.

Sandi

Has anyone tried using frozen pizzas? I had a customer ask if it can be done just wondering if anyone tried...and what to tell her since it seems like shes interested...

I don't see why you couldn't? You are using the grill like an oven to heat it up.

What is a BBQ pizza pan?

A BBQ pizza pan is a specialized pan designed for grilling pizzas on your outdoor grill. It typically has a perforated surface to allow for even heat distribution and to prevent the pizza from sticking to the pan.

How do I use a BBQ pizza pan?

To use a BBQ pizza pan, preheat your grill to high heat. Place the pizza pan on the grill and let it heat up for a few minutes. Then, add your pizza dough and toppings to the pan and place it back on the grill. Close the lid and let it cook for 8-10 minutes, rotating the pan occasionally for even cooking.

Can I use a BBQ pizza pan in the oven?

Yes, most BBQ pizza pans can also be used in the oven. However, be sure to check the manufacturer's instructions to ensure it is oven-safe and to adjust cooking times as needed.

How do I clean a BBQ pizza pan?

To clean a BBQ pizza pan, let it cool down completely before washing. Use warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge to clean the surface. For tough, stuck-on food, let it soak in warm water before scrubbing. Avoid using metal utensils or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the pan's surface.

What types of pizzas can I make with a BBQ pizza pan?

You can make any type of pizza on a BBQ pizza pan, from traditional cheese and pepperoni to more adventurous options like BBQ chicken or vegetable. The perforated surface allows for a crispy crust and the high heat of the grill adds a smoky flavor to the pizza.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
  • pampered1224
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies