• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking Bacon on Stoneware: Is it Easy, Messy, and Tasty?

It comes out perfect every time. I also do not flip mine. I drain it on paper towels when it comes out of the oven. As far as cleaning up goes, it is a lot easier than frying it in a skillet and the bar pan washes up easily.In summary, you can easily bake bacon in the oven on stoneware without worrying about it holding in the flavor. Simply lay out the bacon on a large bar pan and bake at 425F for about 20 minutes. The clean up is also easy and there is no need to flip the bacon while cooking. Some people line the pan with parchment paper for even easier clean up. However,
deliciousdiva
I thought I read somewhere that you can bake bacon on stonewear in the oven. Is this true? Easy? Does it make a mess? Does the stone taste like bacon? My sister wants to buy one if this product is a good for bacon, Thanks!

It is soooo easy! The stone won't hold in the flavor. Like it won't for other things either. That is the only way I do bacon now!

I use the large bar pan for it and you don't have to flip it or anything. Just great tasting and crispy!

I LOVE doing bacon in the bar pan! It comes out flat and crisp, and I don't have to stand by the stove getting splattered. Even DH is trained to use stoneware for bacon. :)

How to?What are the steps for baking the bacon? thanks!

I've never done it myself, but I've had people complain that once they cook the bacon the pan becomes so greasey that they can't clean it well. Someone told me to put parchment paper on the bottom. Any opinions on this??

Some people line the pan with parchment paper. I don't bother. ;)

Lay out 1 pound of bacon in the large bar pan. Strips will overlap slightly. Bake at 425F for about 20 minutes. Remove from pan.

That's it.
Add or subtract time, depending on how crisp you like your bacon.

deliciousdiva said:
What are the steps for baking the bacon? thanks!

I think everyone does it a litte bit different.
I cooked bacon on my bar pan last night. I simply layed the bacon on the pan and stuck it in the oven. I set the oven to 350 and just waited until it looked done (sorry that is how I cook, plus new house, new oven that I need to learn!).

Clean up is so easy......and the bacon tastes great!!

HTH!

After you do bacon, you do need to make sure you use REALLY hot water to clean the pan, and scrub it well. I have a kitchen brush that's for stoneware ONLY (so no soap), and that's what I use to get the grease off the pan.

I've never had a problem with anything else I cook in my bar pan tasting like bacon.

Oh- if you find that you can't get it quite clean enough, scrub it with some baking soda. That really helps clean stones, although it can remove some of the seasoning.

When it comes to cleaning it, I make sure it gets completely cool (usually place it on the large chest freezer in the garage - we have cats) and then let it run under HOT water until all the bacon grease is gone, then I scrape it.

I do mine in the micro on either the small bar pan or medium bar pan depending on how much I need. 1 minute per slice. Cover with a paper towel. :)

The few times I did this...I lined the pan with parchment paper. Let the pan cool and lifted off the paper into the trash. Then, using the HOTTEST tap water that comes out of the faucet, scrub with the kitchen brush.

I am one of the *FEW* that doesn't like the bacon cooked like this. I think it tastes like it's soaked in grease.

I make my bacon in my grill pan using the press! Lay bacon out flat, put press on, once it needs turned the first time you don't need to put the press back on (it will stay flat at that point). Cooks FLAT and evenly! I hate the clean up (on the top of my stove...) but the bacon tastes soooooo much better than on the bar pan.

**I do NOT tell customers this, since I am in the minority about this!....I tell them that the bar pan is "perfect for their bacon and will help keep their kitchen free of grease splatters!"

Bacon on the bar pan is the ONLY way we cook the bacon now. My husband says it should be a sin for bacon (a food he already loved) to melt in your mouth like cotton candy!! There's no grease splatter, no constantly standing over the stove, no yelling at the kids to get away from the hot pan in case the grease pops, I love it.

I preheat the oven to 425, put the bacon right on the pan and place in oven. Then I get the kids up, brush teeth, get dressed, then go start the eggs. Everything comes out hot and at the same time, without me babysitting it. I've baked cookies on the pan the same day and never had a bacon flavored cookie!

Jennifer

This is the ONLY way I make bacon now! I love, love, love :love: :love: the Bar pan for bacon and I haven't burned myself with splattering bacon in years!!! That in itself, makes me very passionate about selling bar pans! But the taste is fabulous, never had such even cooked bacon! The clean up is easy, I use parchment because it's easier but if your stone is new, I'd do the first few batches without the parchment! :thumbup: Bacon is a fabulous food to get your stone seasoned with! The oil from bacon turnes it nice and brown, okay.... mine is black!;) Another benefit is that you can put it in the oven and forget till the timer goes off and be focussing on everything else for breakfast and not worry about burning your bacon and no flipping!!:love: :D Wahoooo!
Go for it, both you and your sister, you'll never eat bacon from a cookware pan again! :p :D

Last edited:
pamperedmom24 said:
Bacon on the bar pan is the ONLY way we cook the bacon now. My husband says it should be a sin for bacon (a food he already loved) to melt in your mouth like cotton candy!! There's no grease splatter, no constantly standing over the stove, no yelling at the kids to get away from the hot pan in case the grease pops, I love it.

I preheat the oven to 425, put the bacon right on the pan and place in oven. Then I get the kids up, brush teeth, get dressed, then go start the eggs. Everything comes out hot and at the same time, without me babysitting it. I've baked cookies on the pan the same day and never had a bacon flavored cookie!

Jennifer
how funny!:D :D ;) you and I were posting at the same time and our first line of our post is almost identical! Great minds think alike, I always say!:p :p :D ;) :thumbup:

KellyTheChef said:
The few times I did this...I lined the pan with parchment paper. Let the pan cool and lifted off the paper into the trash. Then, using the HOTTEST tap water that comes out of the faucet, scrub with the kitchen brush.

I am one of the *FEW* that doesn't like the bacon cooked like this. I think it tastes like it's soaked in grease.

I make my bacon in my grill pan using the press! Lay bacon out flat, put press on, once it needs turned the first time you don't need to put the press back on (it will stay flat at that point). Cooks FLAT and evenly! I hate the clean up (on the top of my stove...) but the bacon tastes soooooo much better than on the bar pan.

**I do NOT tell customers this, since I am in the minority about this!....I tell them that the bar pan is "perfect for their bacon and will help keep their kitchen free of grease splatters!"

I'm sure you have thought about this but just in case, do you drain the bacon with paper towels. I also hate grease on my bacon, but I take each piece I eat and wrap it in a paper towel first to soak up all the grease. I do this with everything that has grease on it not just bacon.

Jennifer

MissChef said:
how funny!:D :D ;) you and I were posting at the same time and our first line of our post is almost identical! Great minds think alike, I always say!:p :p :D ;) :thumbup:

That's funny!!! I went back and saw your post and thought it was mine for a second :D :D ! Maybe it's great cooks that think alike!

Jennifer

KellyTheChef said:

Oh my! This is one of the very first posts I don't agree with you on!:( But hey, to each her own! I still love you anyway!;) :love: Do you drain your bacon on papertowels?
I do admit though that the grill press intrigued me!;) does this help to keep it from splatter a lot, as well as keeping the bacon flat? Do tell!:)

pamperedmom24 said:
That's funny!!! I went back and saw your post and thought it was mine for a second :D :D ! Maybe it's great cooks that think alike!
Jennifer
I'll buy that!!:p :D My 11 year old son has been calling me "the best cooker ever" since he was 2 or 3! You got to love kids! He now calls me that, as our special joke! He's such a great kid! I only pray his wife, in at least 14-15 years!:p, had better know how to cook because he will send her to me and that will cause a lot of grief!:D :blushing: Us girls do not always like to here how wonderful of cooks our MIL was/is! :grumpy: :D

I only make bacon on my bar now. No mess, no greasey bacon. Plus when we have guests for the weekend (which is often as none of our family live close) I can pop the bacon in when I get up and have it cooking as people get up. Since there is no flipping I am free to prep other foods.

pamperedmom24 said:
I'm sure you have thought about this but just in case, do you drain the bacon with paper towels. I also hate grease on my bacon, but I take each piece I eat and wrap it in a paper towel first to soak up all the grease. I do this with everything that has grease on it not just bacon.

Jennifer

Yikes, :eek: :D we did it again! Oh my, Jennifer, this is freaky!:blushing: :p :D
Too darn funny!:thumbup: :D
MissChef said:
Oh my! This is one of the very first posts I don't agree with you on! But hey, to each her own! I still love you anyway! Do you drain your bacon on papertowels?
I do admit though that the grill press intrigued me!;) does this help to keep it from splatter a lot, as well as keeping the bacon flat? Do tell!:)

My husband is the cook in our house about 80% of the time. (I fix food for me and Lucy (when he is at work) and for my shows) so when I received the bar pan and read on here about fixing bacon on it - I told him this. He LOVES bacon - okay I do, so he fixes the bacon all the time, so the next time he fixed bacon he use the bar pan and he was hooked. I asked him to clean the bar pan as soon as it gets cool because I had to make brownies in it (for a dessert I was making for a show) and he said NO WAY. The odor would get into the brownies - Well of course I had to prove him wrong, so as soon as he was done, I made brownies, when done and while still warm I gave him one small piece, he was amazed, then when it was nice and cooled, gave him another piece - he said after it sets there it would soak up the bacon odor - or maybe he just wanted more brownies - so after that brownie he was even more amazed.

One more thng, I can make any dessert you have a recipe for and it will turn out perfect, but for brownies, that is another story, until I got the bar pan, the bar pan is amazing for brownies also. NO MORE HARD EDGES. It amazing, they are so good. I do make brownies at least once a month for my family - before the bar pan, I would have to ask someone else to do this because every time before they NEVER turned out, you couldn't eat them, they were always very nasty.

I think, if you like/LOVE bacon/brownies. then this pan is for you.

~

This is the best thing ever!! I have sold sooooo many bar pans because I have told people about the baked bacon. I think I posted on another thread that asked what do you sell the most of or something like that. Well, this is it. The large bar pan. Oh, and the small one, I tell people you can make two perfect burgers in their toaster oven in 15 minutes. Sells like hotcakes!!

FYI the Selling the Collections CD talks about dong the bacon on parchment paper in 400 degree-oven for 20 minutes in the bar pan. That's how I do it, and it's pretty perfect! I've cooked on it since then and no lingering smells.

MissChef said:
Oh my! This is one of the very first posts I don't agree with you on!:( But hey, to each her own! I still love you anyway!;) :love: Do you drain your bacon on papertowels?

Every time I see a big discussion on this, I get to feeling like I need to try the bacon in the bar pan again...perhaps I will give it ONE more try. I am pretty sure I drained it on paper towels....but I am not totally sure! :blushing: I REALLY want to like the bacon that way, since it is soooooooo less time consuming and less messy!!

The press really did seem to cut down on the splatter quite a bit! There really was only a few splatters on my stove when I was done...and I could have put them there when I was flipping the bacon over!

So, I guess I will need to give the bacon on the LBP one more try and go from there! If I still don't like it, that's MY problem, right? :D And if I don't like it...I already have a good backup plan by using the grill press!!

KellyTheChef said:
Every time I see a big discussion on this, I get to feeling like I need to try the bacon in the bar pan again...perhaps I will give it ONE more try. I am pretty sure I drained it on paper towels....but I am not totally sure! :blushing: I REALLY want to like the bacon that way, since it is soooooooo less time consuming and less messy!!

The press really did seem to cut down on the splatter quite a bit! There really was only a few splatters on my stove when I was done...and I could have put them there when I was flipping the bacon over!

So, I guess I will need to give the bacon on the LBP one more try and go from there! If I still don't like it, that's MY problem, right? :D And if I don't like it...I already have a good backup plan by using the grill press!!

I like the bacon on the bar pan, but now that the splatter screen is coming out we should have one more option for the top of the stove--whether it is for bacon or burgers or whatever. When I do burgers on the grill pan, the splatter mess, even with the grill press, is pretty bad. I'm curious to see how the screen will work, and wonder if it will fit over the grill press and grill pan together. (maybe I should send in my sample order so I can find out!)

I hate cleaning grease off the LBP, so I use the parchment paper to cook bacon. I take the LBP out of the oven and put the bacon on a plate with a papertowel (to absorb the extra grease) and then wait for the grease on the parchment to cool, wrap it up and throw the whole mess away! If I'm careful, I get NO grease on my stone and have NO cleanup after!!!

Now y'all got me wondering if the LBP would be good for cooking fat back in the oven. I cook fat back in the oven now in my cast iron skillet but I have to do it in batches. Must test this out later this weekend. Too hot to turn on the oven right now. All these great iseas! I just wish I could actually get a few people to agree to host shows. Everybody wants to do a catalog show or just give me 3-5 orders for a catalog order. I so want to do the whole kitchen show and flex my creative muscles

Fat back?? A good Southern girl you must be! I am sure the fat back will work great in the bar pan - just depends on how thick it is.

dwyerkim said:
I like the bacon on the bar pan, but now that the splatter screen is coming out we should have one more option for the top of the stove--whether it is for bacon or burgers or whatever. When I do burgers on the grill pan, the splatter mess, even with the grill press, is pretty bad. I'm curious to see how the screen will work, and wonder if it will fit over the grill press and grill pan together. (maybe I should send in my sample order so I can find out!)

The splatter screen won't fit over the grill press - there is a handle on the press that sticks up way above the pan........the screen is made to fit flat over the top of the pan.

I use the LBP for bacon all the time, but I fix thick sliced bacon. 350 for 30 minutes. I was never happy with the thick sliced until I started cooking it on stoneware! I tried the parchment paper once. I still had grease on the bar pan, so I've not bothered with it since. Like everyone else has said, really hot water is a must. I also use the scraper to get most of the grease out of the pan before I even start. If it feels like you aren't getting it all, use a paper towel to wipe it out.

I haven't done it in the microwave on the bar pan.

If it is getting too done for your family, just dial back the time a few minutes! But it comes out flat, evenly cooked and NO grease mess :thumbup:

RuthV said:
Now y'all got me wondering if the LBP would be good for cooking fat back in the oven. I cook fat back in the oven now in my cast iron skillet but I have to do it in batches. Must test this out later this weekend. Too hot to turn on the oven right now. All these great iseas! I just wish I could actually get a few people to agree to host shows. Everybody wants to do a catalog show or just give me 3-5 orders for a catalog order. I so want to do the whole kitchen show and flex my creative muscles

What is this?

It's basically the back fat from the hog. When cooked up properly its delicious and crunchie. Here's the wikipedia definition: Fatback is the layer of fat along the back of a pig, used as a cut of meat. It is often used to make lard. Fatback is a traditional part of southern U.S. cuisine and soul food, where it is used for cracklings or cracklins, and to flavor stewed vegetables such as greens and black-eyed peas. Many people enjoy eating strips of heavily salted and fried fatback. Fatback was extremely popular in the South during the Great Depression because it is an inexpensive piece of meat. This dish is also widely eaten in Ukraine, where it is called salo.

bacon tipI always talk about the LBP being the "all day stone" and start with bacon or breakfast..... but when I do I share this TIP that I got off of Food Netwook (stuck with me b/c I talk about bacon at every show in the LBP) -- the cook on the show (don't remember who) said if you don't want the fat on the bacon just put the bacon in as your oven heats up - those lower temps will start cooking the fat on the bacon before the meat - cooking it away more so than if you put it in after it's preheated.

Make sense how I explained it?!?!?!?

Just 1 of those TIPS that I like to share to add some umph to the shows - had to share since bacon was the topic here!

Dawn4 said:
I've never done it myself, but I've had people complain that once they cook the bacon the pan becomes so greasey that they can't clean it well. Someone told me to put parchment paper on the bottom. Any opinions on this??

I have never had any problems with my pan being too greasy to clean it well...it cleans up just like anything else I cook on it!

Important detailI just read somewhere that you should cover your LBP with foil to avoid having a fire in the oven. :eek: I've cooked bacon many times with the LBP and never had a problem with splatters, but this was scary to read. So from now on I will tell my customers to cover it with foil to keep cooking safe.

Personally, I really like doing bacon on my bar pans...either in the microwave or in the oven. I do ALWAYS use parchment paper - here's why: the grease is a real bear to get off if don't. Let the grease solitify on the parchment paper, and then you simply throw that away and your pan has very, very little leftover grease on it. Clean-up is a breeze that way!!!

riggs62 said:
I just read somewhere that you should cover your LBP with foil to avoid having a fire in the oven. :eek: I've cooked bacon many times with the LBP and never had a problem with splatters, but this was scary to read. So from now on I will tell my customers to cover it with foil to keep cooking safe.

Wouldn't using foil negate the benefits of the stone?

sfdavis918 said:
Wouldn't using foil negate the benefits of the stone?
I don't know, I personally don't do it. I am just worried now about telling guests about cooking bacon that way ~ and then somehow be responsible for a kitchen fire. I will try to find out where I read that.

Oh, and btw, where ever it was that I read that...another suggestion was cooking meat on foil and using the LBP as a cover over it.

riggs62 said:
I just read somewhere that you should cover your LBP with foil to avoid having a fire in the oven. :eek: I've cooked bacon many times with the LBP and never had a problem with splatters, but this was scary to read. So from now on I will tell my customers to cover it with foil to keep cooking safe.

One of the best reasons for baking your bacon is that it DOESN'T splatter! I have been doing my bacon in the oven for 5 years - and never any splatters! I think that if oven fires were a possibility, the Test Kitchen would have said something about it.....and they recommend using a piece of parchment paper when doing bacon - but nothing about foil!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• msunn1973
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
BeckyC5830
  • Becky0216
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Becky0216
  • tloudermilk