• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover the Artisan Bread Show Experience | Share Your Reviews Now!

In summary, the conversation is about making artisan bread in the Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker. Some people have tried it and it is simple and yields a high profit. The instructions involve letting the dough rise, preheating the baker, and baking the bread. There is some concern about voiding the warranty by preheating the baker according to the instructions. Some suggest serving the bread with spices and sauces.
Amyskitchen2
Has anyone done the Artisan Bread Show? How did it go? I am currently letting my dough rise to try the recipe but I was wondering how good of a show this is.

Where is the info on this? Is it on CC?

I got my info from my director. It sounds wonderful, but have not tried it.

I haven't done it as a show yet, but my director demoed it at our cluster meeting and it's very simple and it shows over $400 in products!

Sounds interesting!

Could someone please post details...sounds right up my alley!

I don't know where it originated. I saw CK post about it, and Linda, and Becky. I hope Linda doesn't mind my sharing this--I copied this from a post of hers on FB:Oh My word!!! This is SOOOO Good!Artisan Bread made in the Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups tap water1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 ½ cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at room temperature. 2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat using the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times. Fold the 2 sides of the Pastry Mat over the bread and let it stand on the counter for 2 hours to rise. 3. 1 ½ hours into the 2 hour rising time, preheat oven to 450 degrees and place the empty Covered Baker with lid on in oven for 30 minutes. You want the Covered Baker blazing hot. Dump the dough into the Covered Baker, put the lid on and put back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 8 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. OK, go ahead and eat it. We don’t have the patience to let it cool in our house either.
By: Linda Haworth Child

My director shared this bread at last night's meeting. My first batch is resting on my table as we speak. I'll bake it tomorrow morning. Yum!She talked about putting a few spices or rubs out on a cracker tray and a couple of sauces in small bamboo bowls. Put those out with the bread cut into small cubes. It's a very moist bread, so it will pick up the spices easily.

Uhm...I have a concern with the instructions in section #3 to preheat deep covered baker with lid on. One of the use and care tips for stoneware specifically states:
•Prevent breakage from thermal shock by avoiding extreme temperature changes.
•Do not preheat stone.
•At least two-thirds of Stoneware surface should be covered with food to avoid thermal shock. Always evenly distribute food over Stoneware surface; avoid clustering foods.

Wouldn't this contribute to voiding the warranty as the item was not used as instructed

babywings76 said:
I don't know where it originated. I saw CK post about it, and Linda, and Becky. I hope Linda doesn't mind my sharing this--I copied this from a post of hers on FB:

Oh My word!!! This is SOOOO Good!

Artisan Bread made in the Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups tap water

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 ½ cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at room temperature.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat using the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times. Fold the 2 sides of the Pastry Mat over the bread and let it stand on the counter for 2 hours to rise.

3. 1 ½ hours into the 2 hour rising time, preheat oven to 450 degrees and place the empty Covered Baker with lid on in oven for 30 minutes. You want the Covered Baker blazing hot. Dump the dough into the Covered Baker, put the lid on and put back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 8 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. OK, go ahead and eat it. We don’t have the patience to let it cool in our house either.

all I can say is...WOW! That's a long show!!!! :eek: ;) :p

Looks yummy! I assume that you do everything but the final baking before hand?

Actually, the baking is a long time, too. Bake it before you leave home and cut it once you're at the host's house.

I would also be concerned about voiding the warranty by pre-heating the DCB when the instructions specifically note not to do so. It's not exactly a cheap piece to replace.

babywings76 said:
I don't know where it originated. I saw CK post about it, and Linda, and Becky. I hope Linda doesn't mind my sharing this--I copied this from a post of hers on FB:

Oh My word!!! This is SOOOO Good!

Artisan Bread made in the Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker

¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups tap water

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 ½ cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at room temperature.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat using the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times. Fold the 2 sides of the Pastry Mat over the bread and let it stand on the counter for 2 hours to rise.

3. 1 ½ hours into the 2 hour rising time, preheat oven to 450 degrees and place the empty Covered Baker with lid on in oven for 30 minutes. You want the Covered Baker blazing hot. Dump the dough into the Covered Baker, put the lid on and put back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 8 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. OK, go ahead and eat it. We don’t have the patience to let it cool in our house either.

Thanks for posting the recipe!! :)

babywings76 said:

I don't mind

Telynn said:
Uhm...I have a concern with the instructions in section #3 to preheat deep covered baker with lid on. One of the use and care tips for stoneware specifically states:
•Prevent breakage from thermal shock by avoiding extreme temperature changes.
•Do not preheat stone.
•At least two-thirds of Stoneware surface should be covered with food to avoid thermal shock. Always evenly distribute food over Stoneware surface; avoid clustering foods.

Wouldn't this contribute to voiding the warranty as the item was not used as instructed

I was concerned about it too and gritted my teeth as I dumped the dough in the baker. I'm guessing that since the dough is room temperature that it's not that much of a thermal shock to the baker. But, I did email the Test Kitchen to ask their opinion. When I hear back from them I'll let y'all know what they say.

nikked said:
all I can say is...WOW! That's a long show!!!! :eek: ;) :p

Looks yummy! I assume that you do everything but the final baking before hand?

This is the show outline I was given.

You make up 2 batches THE NIGHT BEFORE - takes about 1 minute each
Cover and leave on the countertop. SS bowls work great.

Then two hours before the show starts ( before you leave for the show) You take one of the batches and put it on a floured pastry mat and fold it 4 or 5 times.
Keep it rolled in the pastry mat and place in DCB for transport.

At the Demo: Explain to them you're showing them backwards:
[ show them step 3 first - putting the dough in the DCB and into the oven. ] Show the batch still left in the bowl - what it looks like. Preheat the oven and put DCB in there at 450 for 15 minutes ( yes I preheat the stone for this). Then take the hot DCB, open up the pastry mat and show them what that risen dough looks like again and dump it in the DCB.
Bake at 450 for 30 minutes - take the lid off and bake for 5 more to deep golden brown
Then you show them the step 2 - putting the bowl of dough on the mat and folding it. Then show them step one - mixing the ingredients
They eat the baking bread right there, the host keeps the dough that's folded and bakes later for her family and you take the 3rd batch that you mixed there home to rise overnight for your family.
Yummy - super cheap, and you can serve it with our dips or artichoke dip.

The most amazing thing is that you can make a loaf of fabulous bread for 35 cents...instead of $5.85 for a loaf of artisan ciabatta bread at one of our local bakeries.
My customers are totally amazed and buy the DCB to make it in!

Check about that temp. I tried with 4 different people including a supervisor to replace a stone that was used at 450 degrees and was told that it could not be replaced because the maximum oven temp for stoneware is 400 degrees.

pampered1224 said:
Check about that temp. I tried with 4 different people including a supervisor to replace a stone that was used at 450 degrees and was told that it could not be replaced because the maximum oven temp for stoneware is 400 degrees.

Actually, according to the Use and Care it's heat safe to 450 so they are wrong.

•Stoneware can be used in conventional, convection and microwave ovens, and is freezer-safe. Stoneware is heat-resistant to 450°F (230°C). Do not use Stoneware under broiler or on direct heat source. Follow oven manufacturer's guidelines.

Why oh why can they never get it right down there! That was a year ago and the lady simply tossed it and would not reorder one. That is the type of error on their part that makes us look bad. The worst part is that it seems to happen more and more often that the Customer Service people all know different things. Poor training.
Oh and I would think that bread dough should be safe in the hot stone as it is room temp. I do know that putting aluminum foil on a stone can be a problem and sometimes not. A host made a dinner of foil wrapped dinner. A piece of chicken, some veggies and potatoes. Placed them on the stone - not preheated - and put them in the oven. About 10 minutes in she heard a loud pop and the stone had broken in 6 places. One crack under each piece of foil. Weird.

I've made this recipe tons of times in my DCB - my family loves it & so do I. It is the easiest bread I have ever made & delicious as well. I do preheat my stone for 10-15 minutes, take it out, add the flour, add the dough, cover & bake it. It is fabulous! Regarding the customer's stone that broke when she was using foil, ONLY food goes on the stone...putting foil on it will cause it to break just like putting a foil pie plate filled with a pot pie, etc. - these do not go on stoneware, but certainly are safe to put on our metal sheet pans for baking.

pamperedlinda said:
I was concerned about it too and gritted my teeth as I dumped the dough in the baker. I'm guessing that since the dough is room temperature that it's not that much of a thermal shock to the baker. But, I did email the Test Kitchen to ask their opinion. When I hear back from them I'll let y'all know what they say.

I finally heard back from the Test Kitchen and here is their response:

As for the artisan bread recipe. Yes. We are aware this is going around. You are correct in that it does cause thermal shock. You cannot heat a stone "naked". It can definitely cause breakage. It's a double edged sword because whereas it may sell bakers, it voids the guarantee if used in this way. It's really too bad because as you said, the bread is fantastic. Sorry!

Thanks Linda! I've been nervous to try this recipe or share it because of that fear of people's guarantees being voided.I wonder if the recipe would work out okay if you don't preheat the stone? Has anyone tried that?

babywings76 said:
Thanks Linda! I've been nervous to try this recipe or share it because of that fear of people's guarantees being voided.

I wonder if the recipe would work out okay if you don't preheat the stone? Has anyone tried that?

I was wondering that too....

pamperedlinda said:
I finally heard back from the Test Kitchen and here is their response:

As for the artisan bread recipe. Yes. We are aware this is going around. You are correct in that it does cause thermal shock. You cannot heat a stone "naked". It can definitely cause breakage. It's a double edged sword because whereas it may sell bakers, it voids the guarantee if used in this way. It's really too bad because as you said, the bread is fantastic. Sorry!

Instead of heating the Deep Covered Baker Naked, why not preheat the oven to 400 and bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown? No preheating of the DCB and added bake time should be fine.

or use one of the stones?

Telynn, I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're asking if you can use another stone instead of the DCB, the answer would be no. You need the DCB to trap the steam well to make the crust chewy.

sdcolet said:
Instead of heating the Deep Covered Baker Naked, why not preheat the oven to 400 and bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown? No preheating of the DCB and added bake time should be fine.

The correct temp is 450. I'm trying it out today without preheating the baker. I'll report back on how it turns out.

pamperedlinda said:
The correct temp is 450. I'm trying it out today without preheating the baker. I'll report back on how it turns out.

Looking forward to hearing the results!

The New artisan bread recipe!
Thanks to Chef Jim Lahey for developing this 3 step recipe.

¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups tap water

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat using the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times. Place on parchment paper and place in the deep covered baker with lid on to rise for 2 hours.

3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place the filled Covered Baker with lid on in oven for 30 minutes. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 8 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. OK, go ahead and eat it. We don’t have the patience to let it cool in our house either.

If you buy the 50 lb bag of bread flour and the yeast in bulk at Costco
( Keep most of the yeast frozen until needed), this bread costs
about 30 cents a loaf and takes about 4 minutes of your actual time!

well, it just came out of the oven.....and it stuck!!! REALLY REALLY BAD!!!
:( but, it tastes great! My baker is very well seasoned so I'm wondering if I still should have oiled it some?

Just heard back from the Test Kitchen, they said to brush olive oil in the baker next time. So....stay tuned tomorrow for my next update :)

I'm also wondering if I can let the 2nd rise happen in the baker?

Try the NEW Artisan Bread recipe (it calls for parchment paper and won't void the warranty)!

Could you put a cup of water in the DCB to heat it at 450, for 30 minutes. Would this solve the problem of an empty DCB?

:love:WOW I can't wait to try this ONE!!!!! YUMMY!!!!

Ran across someone talking about this on FB and had to come search for it. Looking forward to trying this but I agree, it makes me nervous to do that to my DCB.

The New artisan bread recipe!
Thanks to Chef Jim Lahey for developing this 3 step recipe.

¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups tap water

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat using the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times. Place on parchment paper and place in the deep covered baker with lid on to rise for 2 hours.

3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place the filled Covered Baker with lid on in oven for 30 minutes. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 8 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. OK, go ahead and eat it. We don’t have the patience to let it cool in our house either.

If you buy the 50 lb bag of bread flour and the yeast in bulk at Costco
( Keep most of the yeast frozen until needed), this bread costs
about 30 cents a loaf and takes about 4 minutes of your actual time!

In step 2 you have the dough on parchment paper in the DCB. Then in step 3 you bake. Do you leave the parchment paper in there? I'm thinking that's what keeps it from sticking - due to not preheating the stone?

Beth, you do leave the dough on the parchment paper. it is not as crispy a crust, but it is still very good.

pamperedlinda said:
well, it just came out of the oven.....and it stuck!!! REALLY REALLY BAD!!!
:( but, it tastes great! My baker is very well seasoned so I'm wondering if I still should have oiled it some?

Just heard back from the Test Kitchen, they said to brush olive oil in the baker next time. So....stay tuned tomorrow for my next update :)

I'm also wondering if I can let the 2nd rise happen in the baker?

So, Linda, if you oil the dough, do you not have to use parchment paper? i think that would make a crispier crust.

Has anyone tried it with the oil and no parchment paper?

One more question, what if you use the stainless bowls and use the stainless bowl lid instead of the plastic wrap?

Malinda Klein said:
Has anyone tried it with the oil and no parchment paper?

I've done it both ways. With oiling it, part of the time it sticks (sometimes really bad) and part of the time it falls right out. I think this may have something to do with the consistency of the oven I'm using at the time (no hot spots, etc...) because the recipe is the same each time.

I'm sold on using the parchment - easy and NO cleanup!

Malinda Klein said:
One more question, what if you use the stainless bowls and use the stainless bowl lid instead of the plastic wrap?

Not quite the same - but I use the batter bowl and the batter bowl lid to mix mine. Silly, but I like being able to see it rise in the bowl. :D

I put the lid on my stainless bowl today and it seems to have risen more noticabley. I just kept having this vision of my lid popping off and hitting the ceiling - lol - can you tell i don't cook!

I did make the bread yesterday in stainless with plastic wrap and put in the DCB without preheating my DCB and it did stick like everyone said. So i'm gonna do it with the Parchment.

So how is everyone doing with this recipe? I still haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I've heard a few people on FB talking about it. There's a few different versions of it now, so I'm wondering which I might want to try. Some of you do it for shows, too, so I'm curious how it's been working for you?

I did it at my "first" show (since signing again) and it was awesome. Easiest and best show I've EVER done. Showed the bread, got it in the oven. Made salsa with the MFP, and we snacked on that while we waited for the bread to finish. While they were snacking on the salsa and chips, I made a quick salad and homemade dressing using the measure mix & poor, and we had salad and bread at the end. Super easy and quick, sold four MFPs at full price, as well as a ton of other tools, and it was awesome!

What other recipes are you hearing about. I did the one using the parchment paper (not preheating the stone), and it was SO good!

Also, someone had posted some great information about Artisan bread on another thread...I took that and made it into a hand out with the recipe for bread I made included...

Attachments

• Artisan Bread.doc
    27 KB · Views: 622
I've heard of a 4 hour version and an 8 hour version. Then there's the preheat the stone version and the don't preheat version someone posted previously in this thread.Glad to hear your show went well! :)

babywings76 said:
I've heard of a 4 hour version and an 8 hour version. Then there's the preheat the stone version and the don't preheat version someone posted previously in this thread.

Glad to hear your show went well! :)

Can you point me in the direction of the 4 hour version? :)

bostonbelle said:
Can you point me in the direction of the 4 hour version? :)

I heard others reference it on FB but hadn't ever seen it. Just the other day a super awesome new consultant (Hi Megan! :D ;) ) in our group shared this on her FB biz page:

4-Hour No Knead Artisan Bread

3 cups Bread flour, more for dusting
(I use 1 cup wheat bread flour and 2 cups white bread flour)
1 ½ teaspoon instant yeast granules
1 ½ Tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt (I prefer kosher salt, less sodium)
1 ½ cups warm tap water
1 ½ Tablespoons of olive oil or any combination of flavor infused oils
2 tablespoons of any dried seasonings, herbs or rubs (optional)

1. In a large 4 qt stainless steel mixing bowl or large batter bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add 1 ½ cups warm water and oil mixture, stirring until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with lid. Let dough rest about 2 hours at most, at room temperature. (dough will have almost doubled)

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat (or parchment paper) and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold dough over on itself 3 or 4 times. Fold the 2 sides of the Pastry Mat over the bread and let it stand onthe counter for 1 ½ - 2 hours to rise at most.

3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Dump the floured dough into the Covered Baker, put the lid on and put back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes if needed until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. OK, go ahead and eat it. :) We don’t have the patience to let it cool in our house either.

Thanks you!!

I've been doing this recipe for years, only in my cast iron pot, so I tried the recipe in my DCB. I made the dough up in my batter bowl with lid on, let it sit over night, then the next day, dumped it out on floured counter, let it rest for 15 minutes, then shaped it into a ball gently. I have one of those $1 wicker bread baskets that I use only for bread. I flour the basket liberally then put the dough in it, cover it, and let rise for a couple of hours (doubled in bulk). I pre-heated the oven to 450F, I also put a pan of water in the oven to create a steam (makes for a crispy crust). I put cornmeal on the bottom of my DCB and dumped by dough in the baker (the dough would be up side down now). The top is all floured from the basket. I put the lid on and put it in the oven beside the pan of water for 30 min. I removed the lid and baked for another 10 minutes. Turned out fantastic.
I also add various things to my dough like: caraway seed, flax seed or chopped olives and rosemerry, or jalapeno peppers, or whatever. :)

What is the texture of this bread like? Is it light and airy like a french bread or is it dense?

It's moist and chewy, holes in it. It's wonderful with stews, soups, chili's as it "mops" up really well. It also makes incredible toast! Actually after the first nite, that's the way we eat it from then on in....if there's any left. It's just like eating "candy bread" :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• alidafrizzell
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
JD Gray
  • esavvymom