• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Effortlessly Peel Potatoes with an Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer - Host Approved!

I have an old one and it works perfect! I ordered one for a customer and she said it was taking way too much of the apple off. So I got it from her and had my handy husband try it. The blade is different than the older one (mine is probably 15-20 years old). He took my blade and put it on her new one and it worked and then put her blade on ours and it didn't work. We have it set back as far as it can go and it still didn't work. Sent it back and got another one and it is slightly better, but it still doesn't work as well as the older version. I'm sure it's someone else making it now
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Can you just peel with this? I have a host who says she hates peeling potatoes and though that this might work. I don't have one and have never used one.

I don't think so. The slicing/coring portion is "fixed". You can slice/core, and NOT peel, but I don't think you can only peel. She'll need a peeler for that. ;) (I personally prefer the serrated blade peeler for that sort of thing.)

If memory serves me right (it's been a few years since I've used this tool), you can. You loosen the bolt (at what I'd call the front of the a/p/c/s) and pull down the coring/slicing blade. Then you can just have it peel.

chefjeanine said:
If memory serves me right (it's been a few years since I've used this tool), you can. You loosen the bolt (at what I'd call the front of the a/p/c/s) and pull down the coring/slicing blade. Then you can just have it peel.

That is the peeler blade that you pull down. Now, looking at. Ine, you maybe able to complete remove the slicer/corer blade, but not sure if the rotating part would work as well without it.

Yes, I've done it. You have to use the wrench that came with it to loosen the corer/slicer part but then just stick the potato on the prongs and the peeler still works.

It works great for peeling potatoes! I use it every year at Thanksgiving when I have dinner for 25 people, and make a LOT of mashed potatoes! After peeling I use the Crinkle Cutter to cube them before boiling.

Yep. You have to core if you want to slice but other than that you have options. You can just peel or just core and slice or you can do all three.

Does anyone else have trouble with the peeler on theirs? Mine (and my mother-in-law's) both peel WAY too much. There's hardly any apple left. I called home office and they sent me a replacement blade. Tried that (even though I was doubtful) sure enough, same thing- it's like the tension is set too tight on it or something. Anyone have a solution for this before I call them back again and say hey it's still not right?

kgrissom said:
Does anyone else have trouble with the peeler on theirs? Mine (and my mother-in-law's) both peel WAY too much. There's hardly any apple left. I called home office and they sent me a replacement blade. Tried that (even though I was doubtful) sure enough, same thing- it's like the tension is set too tight on it or something. Anyone have a solution for this before I call them back again and say hey it's still not right?

For me, it depends on the apples. Softer apples are too easy for it to slice. But what I do is just use my finger to hold the blade back until it makes contact with the apple...once it gets a couple turns past the edge of the apple, all the while I'm holding it to control the tension so it's just taking a bit off- then I let go and it's fine. Takes some practice, but you control it to START the apple. After that, I'm ok for the rest of the apple.

kgrissom said:

I have an old one and it works perfect! I ordered one for a customer and she said it was taking way too much of the apple off. So I got it from her and had my handy husband try it. The blade is different than the older one (mine is probably 15-20 years old). He took my blade and put it on her new one and it worked and then put her blade on ours and it didn't work. We have it set back as far as it can go and it still didn't work. Sent it back and got another one and it is slightly better, but it still doesn't work as well as the older version. I'm sure it's someone else making it now which is causing the problem.

I also ordered a new one that doesn't work. Will have to try a older blade. Thanks though it was me as the operator!!

PC needs to go back to who ever was making the older blade that works. We need to make sure to tell them that there is a problem with this new one. I have sent e-mails to the test kitchen and HO and I would suggest that anyone else having problems do the same so they know. Since I had 2 of them with problems in a row, there might indeed be a problem.

kgrissom said:

I just had a return from a customer for the same reason. Thinking it was "user error," we did a side-by-side comparison with her new one and my old one from almost 20 years ago. Mine worked great, hers took off almost 1/2 inch of apple. I put that same apple on mine and had no problem. She returned it, got another one, and had the same problem. She finally got a refund, went to the store and bought one for $20 with the suction cup on the bottom and didn't have to pay extra for a block of wood to attach it to.

I tried to make it a positive experience by pointing out our great customer service, but it was still embarrassing. Especially since she was very vocal about it. :eek: In the future, I will not be encouraging sales of this product.

It comes with a wrench to remove the slicing blade and yes, you can peel with it as long as the customer doesn't mind the potato being cored as well. Most of my customers use it for mashed potatoes anyway so they cut the core into a couple of pieces and throw the pieces in the pan with the slices. It's awesome.

As far as the peeling too much of the apple, the peeling blade slides and is adjustable. When you loosen the screw on the bottom of the blade you can slide the round part closer to the base of the blade and it makes a smaller peel.

Thanks for the tip but that doesn't fix it on mine or my mother-in-laws. I've tried 2 blades, slid back as far as they can go and it still cuts way too far into the apple. We've also experimented with different types of apples (to see if it was just that the apples were too soft) My husband's family owns an orchard- the type/firmness of apple doesn't seem to matter with mine either. I think it's just defective :-(

Nanisu said:
As far as the peeling too much of the apple, the peeling blade slides and is adjustable. When you loosen the screw on the bottom of the blade you can slide the round part closer to the base of the blade and it makes a smaller peel.

We have adjusted the blade and it's not made the same as the older models (mine is probably 18-20 years old from PC). My husband took the old blade and put it on the new peeler and it works and the new blade and put it on the old peeler and the blade doesn't work right.....takes off too much peel.

It is shaped differently so it most definitely is not user error.....it's a manufacturer error.

adjust the blade so the bottom is closer to the blade not farther away.

Nanisu said:
adjust the blade so the bottom is closer to the blade not farther away.

That's what we've done......it won't go any further. They are being made different than the older versions. My husband even tried bending one of them that we got to make it look like the other one and it wouldn't work.

What is the purpose of an Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer?

The Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer is a versatile kitchen tool that is used to core, peel, and slice apples (and other fruits) quickly and efficiently. It is great for making apple pies, applesauce, and other apple-based dishes.

How does an Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer work?

The Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer has a sharp blade that cores and slices the apple while removing the skin at the same time. It is designed to be mounted on a countertop or table and has a crank or handle that you turn to rotate the apple against the blade.

Is an Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer easy to clean?

Yes, the Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer is very easy to clean. Most models are dishwasher safe or can be easily disassembled for hand washing. Just be sure to clean the blade thoroughly to remove any sticky residue.

Can the Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer be used for other fruits?

While the Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer is specifically designed for apples, it can also be used for other fruits such as pears and potatoes. However, the size and shape of the fruits may affect the slicing and coring results.

Is an Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer safe to use?

Yes, the Apple Corer/Peeler/Slicer is safe to use as long as it is used correctly and according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to keep fingers and hands away from the blade while using the tool to avoid injury.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sarahjmpc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Replies
Views
lauriedip
  • lanelly7
  • Products and Tips
Replies