Almond Bark & Candy Melts

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by babywings76, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

I'm making a double batch of the After Dinner Mint Triangles. I am just a 2 oz short of the Almond Bark. I do however, have a bag of Wilton's White Candy Melts that a friend gave me and I don't know how old it is.

Do you think it's okay to combine the 2 types? Do you think there's an expiration factor that I should double check on? I didn't see a date on the packaging.

2. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

I combined candy melts w/ the chocolate chips last week when I made them. I was making 1 & 1/2 batches, and only had enough choco.chips for one batch. That worked out just fine, so I am sure for the white choco. part it would work out fine too.

3. I'm sure it will be fine.

4. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

Which leads me to my next question....what exactly is the difference between almond bark, morsels, and candy melts?

5. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

Okay, I think I found the answer to my other question.

Almond bark and candy melts don't contain cocoa, like the chocolate morsels do. However, (not that I need white chocolate morsels for this recipe) the bag of Nestle's White chips aren't labeled as white chocolate. They label them as white baking chocolate, so they can be considered the same as using almond bark or the candy melts (wafers).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. :)

6. chefann

chefann Gold Member

Technically, there is no such thing as white chocolate. In the US, anything labeled Chocolate must contain cocoa solids, and white "chocolate" is made from only cocoa butter, no cocoa solids.

As far as I know, the white candy discs, white morsels and almond bark are all the same thing, just with different form factors. They may have slight differences in the sugar/fat ratio to make them different textures. But for most applications, they are interchangeable.

7. Dang it...here I'm making the cranberry white chocolate mousse cake tonight (festive holiday desserts), and I have all this almond bark at home, but I forgot to buy white chocolate chips. I ran all the way back out to the store. Had I known this, I would've just used the almond bark. Zut alors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.