• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

~Advice Needed~ Ceramic Top Range?

In summary, the GE Profile smooth top is a good choice, but it scratches easily. The CeramaBrite cleaner works well, but is expensive.
rennea
Gold Member
I am looking for some advice on ceramic top ranges. I am re-doing my kitchen soon and would like to buy some new appliances. It seems that these range tops are everywhere. We want to go stainless and all the stainless electric stoves have these tops. Does anybody have this kind?? How easy do they scratch?? They seem like they would be easy to keep clean.

Any advice would be great guys:)

rennea said:
I am looking for some advice on ceramic top ranges. I am re-doing my kitchen soon and would like to buy some new appliances. It seems that these range tops are everywhere. We want to go stainless and all the stainless electric stoves have these tops. Does anybody have this kind?? How easy do they scratch?? They seem like they would be easy to keep clean.

Any advice would be great guys:)

I have the GE Profile smooth top (this is the second one), I love it. I had my first one for 16 years and my oven started having a problem, and I was thinking of replacing it anyway, so I got this one about a month ago, and I wouldn't have any other type.

We have one and I like it, but it is a pain in the neck to clean! The products available to clean it work well but are a little expensive. I don't like that if water spills over it burns onto the surface and some times we have to take a straight edge razor and gently scrape off what isn't interested in coming off with the cleaner and elbow grease. I have found that some things come off using those Mr. Clean magic eraser sponges however.

I thought it would be easier to clean than a regular burner type stove, and it's just as much a pain :) Other than that, I do really like how it cooks/works!
Good luck!

Rats I was hoping they would be easier to clean. Do they scratch?? I think scratches would drive me nuts, I can be a little OCD about things.

They do scratch - or mine does, anyway. It is a KitchenAid. The CeramaBrite stuff works really well to clean it, but I cook a lot and it definitely scratches. WHen it goes kaplooie, I will get gas....haha!

I do have one scratch on mine, but other than that mine is white so I can't really tell if there are other scratches. I actually think the one scratch I can see is from a knife...probably DH trying to be Emeril or something. :)

I have the GE Profile Stainless too. I have the one that has a convection oven and warming drawer and I love it. The warming drawer is so very handy. It is so nice to be able to clean without having to clean drip pans. I had the option to go with a gas stove for our new house and I just couldn't do it. I always hated taking the stove apart to clean the drip pans and grates. Yes, smooth tops will scratch. So don't slide you stoneware over the top. I use my smooth top to set things on too, of course it's off, and scratched it a little bit in one place with my bar pan.
One bit of advice for you is to always clean it up after you cook to keep it looking new. I have seen some at hostess's homes that don't clean them up after they use it and just let me say it is really bad. Then when you put your pan on top of a dirty stove the bottom of the pan gets stained bad and is hard to get all the marks off. There is really no excuse not to clean your smooth top after each use because it's so easy. Check out Consumer Reports for the best one for your budget. That is how I picked mine out.:chef:

Mine has a black top so yes it will show scratches more. My other one was black but with white speckles and didn't show scratches.

Thanks Jennie for the info. I am really good with my stuff and take really good care of everything I own. It's the DH that I have to worry about!!! I have to child proof my home and I don't have any kids!!

When cleaning I use Bar Keepers friend. It works great on those boil overs. I don't use the products that they say to use on the smooth tops because I feel they are too much money when Bar Keepers works just fine with a non scratch pad.

Last edited:
I really dislike my ceramic stove top. It's black and a Maytag. I wish I would have gotten the electric oven/gas stovetop. The scraping with a blade to get boiled over food off is so annoying. Also, don't like that it doesn't just wipe off. The burners turn off and on to try and stay the right temp so you don't get constant, consistent heat. It's too fussy for me.

Oh Jae, try the Bar Keepers friend. Bar Keepers is also good for so many other things. When researching the stoves on Consumer Reports the electric oven and gas stovetop ranges didn't get good ratings.:(

I bought mine about 2 months ago and I love mine! No scratches and easier to clean then my old one. I have a kenmore and I love it!

I have cooked on all kinds of stoves - not just as a Pampered Chef consultant, but also as a Personal Chef. I learned to HATE Ceramic Top/Flat Top stoves. They are the worst for even heating, and I really dislike the fact that they stay so hot for so long after they are turned off. I used to come home from a day of cooking on a flat top stove, and complain to my husband. I cooked in a lot of "designer" kitchens, and I would always groan when I saw a flat top - "another stove that is just for looks and not for real cooking." (No offense to those that have them - just my experience with them.)

I absolutely love my gas stove. My dream stove would be one of those that is a gas range and electric oven - that is the perfect combo to me!

I have a gas range...so I can't help you out with picking an electric. I just wanted to mention that BLACK SHOWS EVERYTHING! That's the only thing I don't like about mine. I can have it sparkling clean, go to bed, and in the morning it shows every speck of dust that landed on it! I swear, they must windex them in the product showroom 3 times a day...or else they don't have dust there...cuz I never noticed dust on them when shopping! Now that I have a black stovetop, NOW I hear everyone complain about how they show everything. So, if there is an option for the top that is NOT black, that's what I would tell you to get!

My dream stove will be an industrial gas range/electric oven with the cast iron grates (NOT enameled...) with a brushed stainless finish on the top. You know...some day when I am rich and we get to build our dream house!! ;)

JAE said:
I really dislike my ceramic stove top. It's black and a Maytag. I wish I would have gotten the electric oven/gas stovetop. The scraping with a blade to get boiled over food off is so annoying. Also, don't like that it doesn't just wipe off. The burners turn off and on to try and stay the right temp so you don't get constant, consistent heat. It's too fussy for me.

I agree! I have the Gemini (double oven) & hate the stovetop. It is hard to keep clean (even with Barkeepers) and is very easily scratched. Once we redo the kitchen it is gone!

ChefBeckyD said:
I have cooked on all kinds of stoves - not just as a Pampered Chef consultant, but also as a Personal Chef. I learned to HATE Ceramic Top/Flat Top stoves. They are the worst for even heating, and I really dislike the fact that they stay so hot for so long after they are turned off. I used to come home from a day of cooking on a flat top stove, and complain to my husband. I cooked in a lot of "designer" kitchens, and I would always groan when I saw a flat top - "another stove that is just for looks and not for real cooking." (No offense to those that have them - just my experience with them.)

I absolutely love my gas stove. My dream stove would be one of those that is a gas range and electric oven - that is the perfect combo to me!
I had a smooth-top electric range in my old house. And I almost set an oven pad on fire one day by setting it on top of the stove. The burner wasn't on, but it was still hot from being used. The smooth surface is just too convenient to use as an extension of the counter. :)

My new kitchen (going in this year) will have double wall ovens (electric, both convection) and a 6-burner 36" gas cooktop. (BTW, I will have pics and progress posted online, and will post an invite to my cheffer friends to come and help me break it in. :D )

I HATE my glasstop electric stove. Keeping it clean is impossible, mine is 5 years old now and looks 10. I pray for the day, I can either move to a home with gas or convert my current home.

Also a little point about the Executive Cookware. If the glasstop is not perfectly clean you will get spots on the Cookware. My hubby does not clean the cooktop and my 8"skillet now has burnt on food stained into the bottom.

Change over to gas or get the old fashion burners, not as pretty to look at, BUT they work so much better. Someone had mentioned the glasstop not cooking evenly, that is totally correct and if the stove is not level you will also have issues.

Good luck!!!!

This is all such great info. I am looking for a 40 inch stovetop/oven, and I want stainless also. The problem I went to Lowes and the are only available online. How dumb is that? I want to see, touch what I am buying.

There is another store (non chain) where we got our fridge, W/D, so I might look there.

But this info is great, since I have electric.

Question, and OT but is it easy to switch from ELECTRIC TO GAS? I mean relatively speaking?

vwpamperedchef said:
Question, and OT but is it easy to switch from ELECTRIC TO GAS? I mean relatively speaking?

You have to have a gas line routed to where your oven will go. That mean hiring someone in to do the job and they have to drill a hole in the floor that would be big enough to bring the gas line up. HTH

vwpamperedchef said:
This is all such great info. I am looking for a 40 inch stovetop/oven, and I want stainless also. The problem I went to Lowes and the are only available online. How dumb is that? I want to see, touch what I am buying.There is another store (non chain) where we got our fridge, W/D, so I might look there.But this info is great, since I have electric.Question, and OT but is it easy to switch from ELECTRIC TO GAS? I mean relatively speaking?
Sears has a really nice Kenmore 40" unit that's got gas burners and electric ovens, which is idea. Electric is more even (and less moist) for baking, but gas is preferred by professional chefs for stovetop because it's more responsive than electric. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02275503000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Cooktops%2C+Ranges+%26+Ovens&sName=Freestanding+Ranges&filter=Approx.+Width%7C40+in.Adding gas to your kitchen can be really easy or difficult, depending on where there's a nearby gas line that you can plumb from.

vwpamperedchef said:

Do you have any gas appliances (or heat) in your home?

Do you have a basement?

If you can answer yes to both of these questions, it won't be a huge deal to switch to gas. You will need to hire someone to set this up for you.

If you answered no to either of these questions, I don't think it will be a simple matter -- but do check around to find out the details.

I'm with Kelly (I think that's who posted about the black). Stay away from a black cooktop. Get as much stainless and/or white as you can.

Love my gas cooktop. Would love it more if it was not black.

chefjeanine said:
I'm with Kelly (I think that's who posted about the black). Stay away from a black cooktop. Get as much stainless and/or white as you can.

Love my gas cooktop. Would love it more if it was not black.

Jeanine...yep, it was me! The black is the ONLY thing I don't like about my range/oven! Other than that, I am in heaven with this thing! My stove before had very LITTLE adjustments on the gas settings (found out from researching why...they were all the same BTU's and the cheaper the burner, the less adjustment you can do.) It seemed like it was either on HIGH or on LOW. Plus, my oven had a mind of it's own! I never knew if it was going to OVER HEAT or UNDER HEAT. What a PITA. I have had my stove now for about two years and I am still in love...

Well, except for the black color, but I will stop beating that dead horse!! LOL

Thanks for the tips.

I have a gas dryer, but no basement, just a crawl space.

The reason I want new is one, I had a dream it caught fire last night (hmmm...is that ever a sign!) and the main thing I was trying to change the drip pan under the coil and MAN what a process. I got so aggravated. I just said, I need a new one. LOL

So for my 30th bday in July looks like I will get one. How come DH doesn't get the "home" gifts? LOL Too bad because its his bday today.

I haven't had any problems with food not cooking evenly on any of my smooth tops. I do, however, notice that it does take longer to boil water on my new one but my old one which was a Maytag came to a boil faster. It probably just depends on what you get. My Maytag is 5 years old and looked new when I sold my house. My new one, GE Profile is 4 months old.

Last edited:
vwpamperedchef said:
I have a gas dryer, but no basement, just a crawl space.

The reason I want new is one, I had a dream it caught fire last night (hmmm...is that ever a sign!) Pay attention to your dreams/intuition!

Good, then it probably won't be a HUGE job for someone to create a gas hook-up.

If you can afford it, I agree heartily with Ann (we do that a lot! :) ) regarding the dual fuel option. Gas cook top and electric oven. That would have been my choice if I could have afforded it at the time.

Thanks for the advice everyone....

I traded in my dishwasher that I got for christmas today for a SS one. Real nice plain front bottons are hidden w/ a ss handle. I really like it!!! I have the fridge all picked out as well. Still can't decide on the range but my sister has a ceramic top and I'm going to her place in March and will test drive it :) I would like to have a gas range one day but for now am staying with electric.:chef: It will have to be black or SS on top cause they don't make SS ranges with white tops, don't think it would look good either;)

What are the benefits of using a ceramic top range?

A ceramic top range offers several advantages, including a sleek and modern appearance, easy cleanup, and efficient heating. It also allows for precise temperature control, making it ideal for cooking a variety of dishes.

How do I clean and maintain my ceramic top range?

To clean your ceramic top range, you can use a non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth. Be sure to wipe up spills and splatters immediately to prevent them from becoming baked-on. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive scrubbers, as they can damage the surface. Regular maintenance includes wiping down the range after each use and deep cleaning every few weeks.

Can I use any type of cookware on a ceramic top range?

No, it is important to use cookware that is specifically designed for use on a ceramic top range. This includes flat-bottomed, smooth-bottomed pots and pans. Avoid using cookware with rough or warped bottoms, as they can scratch or damage the surface of the range.

What are the common issues that may arise with a ceramic top range?

Some common issues with a ceramic top range include scratches, discoloration, and uneven heating. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for use and maintenance to prevent these issues. If you encounter any problems, consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a ceramic top range?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when using a ceramic top range. Always turn off the heat and unplug the range before cleaning or performing maintenance. Avoid placing hot pots or pans directly on the surface, and use caution when handling cookware to prevent scratching. It is also important to keep the area around the range clear of any flammable materials.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered.chris
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies
Views
cathyskitchen
Replies
Views
islandgurlchef