• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Prevent Apples from Browning: 7-Up or Sprite?

In summary, using pop or soda to prevent apples from turning brown is a good way to avoid bitterness and keep the fruit tasting sweet.
kkimpinski
Has anyone tried dipping apples in 7-Up or Sprite to prevent them from turning brown? I tried one of them and it worked great (can't remember if it was the 7-Up or Sprite) My question is does it matter which one you use or will they both work???

I think they're both supposed to work. It's because of the citric acid in the pop.

Thanks Ann!

Any lemon lime soda will work, even the cheapest generic.

... and it keeps the apples tasty (not like salt or the other chemicals in bottles) YUK!!

mmm I keep forgetting that tip. Yeah- I think I've heard both work for sure.

I'm thinking some sprite or 7-up in the kitchen spritzer instead of lemon juice...

You can also use regular orange juice. I suggested 7-up/Sprite to a host and she said she always mixes the cut fruit with orange juice, drains it and serves both the fruit AND the juice :)

Pineapple juice works, too. I generally choose whichever seems to go best with what I'm using the apples in or on.

Works on Bananas as well.....:D

Why does it work?Because the acid in the juice reacts with the sugars in the fruit and prevents them from oxidizing (turning brown when exposed to air).This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann.
:D

Great, now you've taken up more space in my very limited memory! Thanks, uh, what was your name again?

katie0128 said:
Great, now you've taken up more space in my very limited memory! Thanks, uh, what was your name again?

LOL!! My thoughts exactly. Now new info to remember that's more important than the name to taught us.

7-up
kkimpinski said:
Has anyone tried dipping apples in 7-Up or Sprite to prevent them from turning brown? I tried one of them and it worked great (can't remember if it was the 7-Up or Sprite) My question is does it matter which one you use or will they both work???
I have used both and I think they both work. Lemon jucie also works and I used it on sliced banana's also. They looked great. Sherry

Another soda pop type drink is Sierra Mist....works beautifully!!

Paula

Any soda that is clear. Don't use coke or pepsi! (I actually had a customer try it!!!) I like using soda rather than lemon juice because I found that the lemon juice can make the apples bitter and the soda keeps them tasting sweet.

finley1991 said:
Any soda that is clear. Don't use coke or pepsi! (I actually had a customer try it!!!) I like using soda rather than lemon juice because I found that the lemon juice can make the apples bitter and the soda keeps them tasting sweet.

That's exactly why I use pop instead of lemon juice. I also use orange juice because it's sweeter.

I've never tried orange juice, but I'm sure it's great too. I use Sprite, because that is what my family likes and what we usually have at home.

What is the best way to prevent apples from browning?

The most effective method for preventing apples from browning is to soak them in a solution of 7-Up or Sprite. The citric acid in these sodas helps to slow down the oxidation process that causes browning.

How long should I soak the apples in 7-Up or Sprite?

For best results, it is recommended to soak the apples in the soda for at least 5 minutes. However, if the apples will be exposed to air for an extended period of time, it is best to soak them for closer to 10 minutes.

Can I use any other type of soda to prevent browning?

While 7-Up and Sprite are the most commonly used sodas for this method, you can also use other clear sodas that contain citric acid. Examples include Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist, or Squirt.

Do I need to rinse the apples after soaking them in 7-Up or Sprite?

No, you do not need to rinse the apples after soaking them. Simply remove them from the soda and use as desired.

Can I use this method for other fruits besides apples?

Yes, this method can be used for other fruits that are prone to browning, such as pears, peaches, and bananas. However, be sure to adjust the soaking time based on the size and thickness of the fruit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• HARRIS
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • jrstephens
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenifer4000
  • wadesgirl