• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

5Th Grade Spelling: List Too Hard for Me

Her "spelling list" included words such as their, there, hear, here etc! That's when we took her out of public school & put her in a private school!!
JAE
Tell me if you know what these words mean, and you may not look them up first. I wish there was a way that I could see if you know how to spell them too. This is part of the challenge spelling and vocabulary list for my 5th grade son. I think it's a little overboard when I've never even heard of a couple of these words and don't know how to pronounce at least one of them. NO CHEATING! You just have to guess if you don't know.

CIRCUMAMBULATE
CIRCUMLOCUTION
PERISTALSIS
MANACLE

The only one I have heard of is peristalsis, but I can't remember what it means. I'm pretty sure it's a medical term though!

CIRCUMAMBULATE- walk around, as in a circle
CIRCUMLOCUTION- talk around a subject, without mentioning the subject?
PERISTALSIS- contraction of muscles in gut
MANACLE- a binding, as in put the manacles on him

Robin

Seriously, Robin, are you a scholar or something? If you looked these up, you cheated! :)

JAE said:
Seriously, Robin, are you a scholar or something? If you looked these up, you cheated! :)

Didn't know most of them, but figured them out. Circum=around; ambulate=walk, Locution=talking

Peristalsis and Manacle? Too much TV :)

Robin

I didn't know ambulate meant "walk". I also didn't know locution meant "talking". Peristlsis sounded familiar, and when I saw the meaning I figured I was supposed to have learned that in college for my major in P.E. Manacle sounds like a marine-type word.

I knew them. Then again, I read a lot and enjoy etymology, which is how Robin figured a couple of them out.

I total failed this version of are you smarter then a 5th grader!!!!!
i had ideas for one or two but, but i truely didn't know any of them!!!

heather

My "poor" fifth grader is very frustrated with the challenge spelling list. I've had quite enough myself. I just think there are more important words out there that he could be learning and actually use some day. This just takes too much time, and there are 12 words total. The other words are a little more common, but when added up as a whole, these lists are too hard.

if my 5th grader came home with this list- I would have a few challenging words for his teacher. Lets get a little realistic.

friday said:
if my 5th grader came home with this list- I would have a few challenging words for his teacher. Lets get a little realistic.
That's pretty funny. I did e-mail his teacher to ask him to put my son back on the normal list. I kept changing my wording because I was being too harsh. His teacher is a major over achiever and I didn't want to burst his bubble. I paired the e-mail down to basically say it's too hard, please change the list to the normal one. At first I used the word "ridiculous", but I took it off.

raebates said:
I knew them. Then again, I read a lot and enjoy etymology, which is how Robin figured a couple of them out.
Entomology was a subject that always bugged me.

I can see how that could happen, KG.

Though we went to different schools, etymology was something The Furry Guy and I had in common. Entomology was his alone. :yuck:

Wow! That is an amazing list for a 5th grader. I gave the words to my 10th grade son who is super intelligent! He only knew 1 of them. When he was in 1st grade he told his teacher that one of the words on the spelling list was spelled incorrectly!! I think the word was tyrannosaurus. That list is at the opposite end of the spectrum from when my daughter was in 4th grade. Her "spelling list" included words such as their, there, hear, here etc! That's when we took her out of public school & put her in a private school!!

raebates said:
I can see how that could happen, KG. Though we went to different schools, etymology was something The Furry Guy and I had in common. Entomology was his alone. :yuck:
I have this tune going though my head now...Grease is the word, is the word, is the word, is the word..."Etymology" also makes me think of Shakespeare's (recently found) first draft of Romeo & Juliet:'Twas in a restaurant
Where they met:
Romeo & Juliet.
He had no cash
To pay his debt
So Romeowed
What Juliet.

Stampaholic1961 said:
Wow! That is an amazing list for a 5th grader. I gave the words to my 10th grade son who is super intelligent! He only knew 1 of them. When he was in 1st grade he told his teacher that one of the words on the spelling list was spelled incorrectly!! I think the word was tyrannosaurus. That list is at the opposite end of the spectrum from when my daughter was in 4th grade. Her "spelling list" included words such as their, there, hear, here etc! That's when we took her out of public school & put her in a private school!!

IF she was being taught at the same time to use these words properly in sentences, and the correct spelling for each definition, then this would be beneficial. One of my pet peeves is how many ADULTS misuse these words, or cannot use the correct spelling for these words. Not to open a can of worms - but spelling seems to have fallen by the wayside in light of text messaging and email communication. DRIVES ME CRAZY!

I here there also not teaching usage, two.<giggle, snort>

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I here there also not teaching usage, two.

<giggle, snort>

LOL! You misused these words correctly in your sentence!:D

Perfect example of what I meant in my post! Thanks KG!

ChefBeckyD said:
IF she was being taught at the same time to use these words properly in sentences, and the correct spelling for each definition, then this would be beneficial. One of my pet peeves is how many ADULTS misuse these words, or cannot use the correct spelling for these words. Not to open a can of worms - but spelling seems to have fallen by the wayside in light of text messaging and email communication. DRIVES ME CRAZY!
That's one of my pet peeves, too. The current newsletter editor for the car club to which DH and I belong is notorious for mis-using words. He either doesn't proof-read, or he leaves it all to the spell checker - which doesn't catch them because they're spelled correctly, just used wrong. Reading one of his newsletters is worse than reading my 2nd grade niece's compositions.

CANDIDATE FOR A PULLET SURPRISEI have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished inn it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.Bee fore a veiling checkers
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know faults with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped words fare as hear.To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.Jerry Zar, 29 June 1992
Graduate School
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115By the author's count, 123 of the 225 words are incorrect (although all words are correctly spelled).

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
CANDIDATE FOR A PULLET SURPRISEI have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.Eye ran this poem threw it,
My checker tolled me sew.A checker is a bless sing,
And aides me when aye rime.Each frays come posed up on my screen
To cheque sum spelling rule.Bee fore a veiling checkers
We wood bee maid too wine.Butt now bee cause my spelling
Of nun eye am a wear.Now spelling does knot phase me,
With wrapped words fare as hear.To rite with care is quite a feet
Sew flaws are knot aloud.Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Buy righting want too pleas.Jerry Zar, 29 June 1992
Graduate School
DeKalb, IL 60115By the author's count, 123 of the 225 words are incorrect (although all words are correctly spelled).
It physically hurts me to try read that - I couldn't make it past the first verse! :cry:

Funny, I had a similar discussion yesterday with someone about the detrimental effect text messaging is having on spelling, usage, and grammar.

Of course, this type of discussion always reminds me of a high school classmate who, familiar with the expression "pitch black," assumed that pitch meant "really, really." That meant she would describe things as pitch pink, pitch yellow, pitch green, etc. Sadly, while we laughed at her behind her back, none of use ever corrected her. I have visions of a 40-something airhead still using the same wording.

ChefBeckyD said:
It physically hurts me to try read that - I couldn't make it past the first verse! :cry:

I have a friend who actually got a bit miffed at me for sharing this with her. She also couldn't make it past the first stanza. Me? I laughed my way through it. :D

raebates said:
I have a friend who actually got a bit miffed at me for sharing this with her. She also couldn't make it past the first stanza. Me? I laughed my way through it. :D

I wouldn't be miffed - I would just delete it!:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what that says about me as a person......but the only thing I can relate it to is the feeling some people get with fingernails dragged down a chalkboard.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
CANDIDATE FOR A PULLET SURPRISE

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checkers
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
With wrapped words fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Buy righting want too pleas.

Jerry Zar, 29 June 1992
Graduate School
DeKalb, IL 60115

By the author's count, 123 of the 225 words are incorrect (although all words are correctly spelled).

KG, that is too funny...I am in our praise band at our church and the guy who types up our new songs for us always messes up at least one word...they are spelled correctly but they are not the correct words...we laugh at him every time...I have even offered to type them up...he left me do one and now he has gone back to messing them up. Just thought that I would share that since it fits in with this thread.

ChefBeckyD said:
I wouldn't be miffed - I would just delete it!:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what that says about me as a person......but the only thing I can relate it to is the feeling some people get with fingernails dragged down a chalkboard.

It was a good-natured tongue-lashing she gave me. ;) She said it hurt her like fingernails on a blackboard. Sounds like the two of you would get along pretty well. :D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
CANDIDATE FOR A PULLET SURPRISE

By the author's count, 123 of the 225 words are incorrect (although all words are correctly spelled).

I have this hanging on a big poster in my classroom and use as a tool to teach my eighth graders that spell check is just a minor step of their editing process.

I, too, agree that the misuse of our language is out of control. Challenging our students with words is a great way to increase their vocabulary and reading levels, as long as the words are being taught in context. Anyone can memorize how to spell words (yes, it's easier for some than others), but application assessments that make sure students know proper usage are what will help them become better students and truly test their knowledge.

I often get into conversations with young people. I do my best to point out that "text language" is fine for texting. It's kind of like the slang that develops between good friends. It has its place. It just isn't appropriate on a college application, report, letter of introduction, etc.

raebates said:
Funny, I had a similar discussion yesterday with someone about the detrimental effect text messaging is having on spelling, usage, and grammar.

Of course, this type of discussion always reminds me of a high school classmate who, familiar with the expression "pitch black," assumed that pitch meant "really, really." That meant she would describe things as pitch pink, pitch yellow, pitch green, etc. Sadly, while we laughed at her behind her back, none of use ever corrected her. I have visions of a 40-something airhead still using the same wording.
My son was doing the same thing - using "pitch" for every color. It was cute and funny, but I did correct him. He smiled and said "oh". This was the other son who I would never have considered letting take challenge spelling.

ChefBeckyD said:
They weren't being taught the correct usage. They were just "spelling" words!After years of working in offices, I see mistakes without even trying. It really bugs me too. I quit subscribing to our local newspaper because it is filled with both spelling & grammar mistakes.By the way, do we have spell-check on here? I looked & didn't see it. I wanted to double check my message before I posted because I usually end up making a stupid mistake when I make a comment about the mistakes of someone else!!!

Last edited:
I access with Firefox, so I have a built-in spellcheck. Of course, that doesn't work if I'm accessing from elsewhere.The Furry Guy, who is admittedly horrible at spelling and grammar, is constantly annoyed at our local paper for their gross errors in spelling and grammar. I tell him it's bad when he's correcting them. We've decided that they don't have proofreaders these days.

raebates said:
I often get into conversations with young people. I do my best to point out that "text language" is fine for texting. It's kind of like the slang that develops between good friends. It has its place. It just isn't appropriate on a college application, report, letter of introduction, etc.
I H8 TXT ON CS, U?

(I also hate it when CS fills in the words CS when you just type C & S.)

The words the fifth grader has can be beneficial depending on what the teacher has him doing. I teach fourth grade. There's a point when students don't need to spell just to spell. (Don't need rote tests). My students who are advanced are put on "Super Sentences" by Winebrenner. It is program that uses about 12 difficult, not common words, in a paragraph. Students must first use context clues to write the meaning. They then look the words up, write the correct definition, are aware what part of speech the word is, and how to pronounce the word. Students then take the words and write a paragraph, that has nothing to do with the original paragraph. They have to demonstrate comprehension of the words.This activity builds vocabulary. I have done this for years. The words get progressively harder, and yes many adults do not know what they mean. When the child points out the word later in a book their reading and connects it back to previous spelling words, I know I'm doing something good. Parents love it. I don't believe these kids should have to take weekly spelling tests. They need to advance and challenge themselves. Talk to the teacher and ask what activities he/she does with your child's words. I teach these kids the use of the thesaurus as well.For their, there and they're in the public schools: These are the most commonly misspelled words in the English written language. They need to be taught. Parents need to ask questions if they don't understand the reasons behind something. I have fourth graders doing 2nd grade words, because they need work on clusters they still don't understand. I let parents know why their children's list may appear simple, but in daily writing, their child is struggling.

Last edited:
lockhartkitchen said:
The words the fifth grader has can be beneficial depending on what the teacher has him doing. I teach fourth grade. There's a point when students don't need to spell just to spell. (Don't need rote tests). My students who are advanced are put on "Super Sentences" by Winebrenner. It is program that uses about 12 difficult, not common words, in a paragraph. Students must first use context clues to write the meaning. They then look the words up, write the correct definition, are aware what part of speech the word is, and how to pronounce the word. Students then take the words and write a paragraph, that has nothing to do with the original paragraph. They have to demonstrate comprehension of the words.

This activity builds vocabulary. I have done this for years. The words get progressively harder, and yes many adults do not know what they mean. When the child points out the word later in a book their reading and connects it back to previous spelling words, I know I'm doing something good. Parents love it. I don't believe these kids should have to take weekly spelling tests. They need to advance and challenge themselves. Talk to the teacher and ask what activities he/she does with your child's words. I teach these kids the use of the thesaurus as well.

For their, there and they're in the public schools: These are the most commonly misspelled words in the English written language. They need to be taught. Parents need to ask questions if they don't understand the reasons behind something. I have fourth graders doing 2nd grade words, because they need work on clusters they still don't understand. I let parents know why their children's list may appear simple, but in daily writing, their child is struggling.

We could have used a teacher or two like you!!! We've had some great teachers along with some real doozies! The teacher my daughter had in first grade thought all the kids should learn something before they moved on. So all the kids had to wait on one little girl (who didn't know her colors, numbers or even the alphabet. That was the year that my son was in 3rd grade. His teacher didn't appear to like boys! They had a program called accelerated reader where they read a book & took a test to see how well they comprehended what they read. Our son told her that some of the kids were using their books to take the test. He got in trouble for being a tattle-tail!
My daughter's 4th grade teacher was brand new. There were about 12 rowdy boys & only 4 girls in the class & she was not in control!

1. What is the meaning of "CIRCUMAMBULATE"?

Circumambulate means to walk or move around something in a circular or ritualistic manner.

2. What does "CIRCUMLOCUTION" mean?

Circumlocution refers to the use of many words to express an idea that could be stated more simply or directly.

3. Can you define "PERISTALSIS"?

Peristalsis is the involuntary contraction and relaxation of muscles in the digestive system that pushes food through the digestive tract.

4. What is the definition of "MANACLE"?

Manacle means a metal band, chain, or shackle for fastening someone's hands or ankles.

5. How do you pronounce "CIRCUMLOCUTION"?

The correct pronunciation is "sir-kum-loh-kyoo-shuhn."

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • vanscootin
  • General Chat