• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Another Updated 'We All Need to Know This!"

In summary, the conversation discusses policy changes related to Personal Web Sites for Pampered Chef consultants. These changes include prohibiting linking to Personal Web Sites, with only two exceptions for fundraiser shows and personal electronic communications. Consultants are also required to include their first and/or last name in their Personal Web Site address and cannot use The Pampered Chef corporate name or trademarks. Executive Directors and above will receive free Personal Web Site subscriptions and can maintain a separate website for training purposes, as long as it follows the same guidelines.
kcjodih
Gold Member
This just in:

Dear Consultant:

For several months now, the field and the Home Office have been dealing with issues stemming from the advertising and publicity policies relating to Personal Web Sites. Frankly, we've been confronted with issues both in nature and number that we simply didn't anticipate when we wrote the policies.

We have carefully considered input from all levels of the field as well as from our online customers. As a result, earlier today, Marla Gottschalk announced the following policy changes in conference calls with Executive Directors and above.

This documents the new policies. You have received this communication because you are subscribed to a Personal Web Site. Any new subscribers will receive the same information as they sign up for their sites. Additionally, these policies will be included in the spring Recipe for Success, as well as posted online.

Linking
After much discussion, we have decided to prohibit linking to Personal Web Sites.

This applies to Consultants of every level and includes both sponsored links and banner ads that are paid for, as well as non-sponsored links that are free. For instance, if a friend posted a link on their family's website to your Personal Web Site, you would be in violation of this policy.

There are ONLY two very specific exceptions to the linking policy.

The first pertains to Fund-raiser Shows. If you have a Fund-raiser with an organization that wishes to post a link to your Personal Web Site on their Web site, you may do so only with prior written approval from Consultant Career Solutions. Fundraiser links may only be active for 60 days unless granted written permission for a longer time period.

The second exception pertains to your personal electronic communications. You may continue to include your Personal Web Site address as part of your contact information or signature on e-invitations, any e-mails that are currently available through your Personal Web Site and your personal e-mails to your customers. These communications may link to your Personal Web Site. This also includes any electronic mail pieces that may be developed by our new licensed merchandise vendor.

Keep in mind, as with the current guidelines, you are still prohibited from spamming. You may not purchase lists for e-mail marketing purposes.

To be clear, the ban on linking also prohibits the following
. listing or linking your Personal Web Site in Internet directories or search engines, such as Google or Yahoo.
. purchasing or using a separate domain name to re-direct visitors to your Personal Web Site.
. linking to Consultant's Corner from any Web site.
. linking to the Pampered Chef Corporate Web site from any Web site.

Personal Web Site Addresses/Names
It's important that Consultants represent themselves as independent sales people and in no way imply they represent The Pampered Chef corporate office. Therefore, new Personal Web Site subscribers must include their first and/or last name in their Personal Web Site address.

The address may not include The Pampered Chef corporate name or a derivation of the corporate name, including the tag line, or any trademark used by the company, such as "Kitchen Show."

Consultants signing up for a new Personal Web Site will see these guidelines in message form on Consultant's Corner. They will be programmed into our system for automatic enforcement in January and February.

As you already maintain a Personal Web Site, you will be able to keep the name or address you currently have, for the time being. We are evaluating whether some Personal Web Sites addresses violate the policy that Consultants not represent themselves as The Pampered Chef company and may be initiating a call directly to those individuals who need to change their names.

Executive Benefits
Executives and above will receive free Personal Web Site subscriptions starting with their next renewal.

As in the current policies, Executive Directors and above may continue to have another Web site with a separate domain name that they use for training purposes.

Keep in mind, as with Personal Web Site names, the domain name can not include The Pampered Chef corporate name or a derivation of the corporate name, including the tag line or any trademark used by the company, such as "Kitchen Show."

On the site itself, you may mention The Pampered Chef, but you may not use the company logo or tag line, or sell product from this site. And please remember, if you mention The Pampered Chef, you may only do it in the text of your site in the same font that you use for your text. You may not use it in a headline or create a "new" logo with a special typeface or font. You must identify yourself as an Independent Executive Director for The Pampered Chef.

An Executive Director who is interested in having his or her own site with a separate domain name must have the domain name pre-approved, in writing, by Consultant Career Solutions prior to deployment of the Web site. And of course, as The Pampered Chef corporate office, we have the right to monitor any Web site.

Policy Enforcement
These new policies are effective immediately. We will begin enforcing them February 1, 2006, to give everyone time to comply. If an Executive or above has already paid a third party to promote their site at a future time, in a way that is now prohibited by the new policies, the company will reimburse you for reasonable third party costs. You must have a valid receipt dated December 20 or earlier that shows the expense is for a time period in the future. Please send requests for reimbursement directly to Jan Capinegro, Vice President of Consultant Career Solutions. Those below the Executive level will not be reimbursed as any linking they were doing was in violation of the existing policies.

In order to ensure all Consultants adhere to the new policies, they will be strictly enforced. We will randomly audit links to Personal Web Sites, and if you wish to report a violation, please email Consultant Career Solutions.

Anyone in violation of any policy will be notified via phone and e-mail that they must correct the violation. Additionally, their upline will be notified.

If the Consultant fails to comply within the time specified by Consultant Career Solutions, action will be taken. Consultant Career solutions will take into account the ease of correcting the violation when setting the time frame.

On the first failure to comply, the Individual Ordering option on their Personal Web Site will be disabled.

On the second failure to comply, their online ordering option will be permanently disabled.

Finally, on the third failure to comply, the Consultant's Personal Web Site will be permanently disabled.

There also is a penalty for repeat violations, even if the person complies each time they're contacted. If a person commits three violations, individual ordering will be permanently disabled on their site.

With this in mind, you should periodically "police" your Internet presence by searching your own name and Personal Web Site address on Internet search engines such as Google or Yahoo. This will help you discover if you have been picked up by a company or organization with whom you do not want to be associated and eliminate the possibility that you may be, even inadvertently, in violation of these policies.

Here's the rest....Home Office to Drive Leads
Online ordering is a great source of incremental business for all Pampered Chef Consultants. We simply feel it is to everyone's benefit if the Home Office takes responsibility for driving traffic to your Personal Web Sites via the lead system. This makes generating business on the Web economical and equitable for everyone.

In order to achieve this goal, we will continue to keep the corporate site optimized so that it appears first in the listings in search engines, such as Google. We will distribute these potential customers and recruits through the lead system according to the Director Policies outlined in the Leadership Handbook. We know you will see increased traffic to your Personal Web Sites as a result.

Support for Kitchen Shows
While online ordering provides you with a great opportunity to build your businesses, the Kitchen Show should always remain the heart and soul of your business. To maintain focus on this fundamental and help build Kitchen Show business, we're also announcing policy changes regarding:
. Participation in online ordering
. The earning of recognition and incentive trips and
. Guest specials

Participation in Online Ordering
New Consultants may sign up for a Personal Web Site immediately. However, they will not have access to individual online ordering until they become a qualified Consultant in accordance with the current Recipe for Success guidelines.

Additionally, sales from individual online orders will not count towards the $350 in personal commissionable sales required of Directors in order to maintain and earn their monthly overrides.

Earning Recognition and Incentive Trips
To earn the 2006 incentive award program, a minimum of 50% of your points must come from Kitchen, Catalog, Fund-raiser or Pampered Bride Shows, Director Development and/or Recruiting.

For example, if the point requirement to earn Level 2 is 40,000 points, 20,000 of those points must come from Kitchen, Catalog, Fund-raiser or Pampered Bride Shows, Director Development and/or Recruiting. The remaining 20,000 points may come from online sales. As you can see, this is not an onerous requirement.

To earn the 2006-2007 Top Performance Cluster, Circle of Honor and President's Award programs, a minimum of 50% of any sales requirement must come from Kitchen, Catalog, Fund-raiser or Pampered Bride Shows. If the award is based on Cluster sales, then 50% of Cluster sales must come from Kitchen, Catalog, Fund-raiser or Pampered Bride Shows.

To help you keep track of these requirements, the online calculators will provide splits by sales source by April 1, 2006.

Guest Specials
When we introduced online ordering, we utilized the "spend $50 receive a free product" guest specials to spur our online business. However, we believe attending a Kitchen Show is a unique experience, and that we should provide our guests with a unique benefit for attending.

Effective March 2006, this type of Monthly Guest Special will be available only to customers who attend Shows or place outside orders associated with a Show. This provides hosts with a special offering they can extend to their guests to entice them to attend. And it encourages them to solicit outside orders associated with the Show.

Beginning with the March promotions unveiled at Leadership, every promotional flyer will state this qualification.

We, of course, want to make our "Guest Special" Help Whip Cancer products available to as many people as possible. We will offer them online in May and will be making the corresponding donation. This will not include the Help Whip Cancer host special, which, of course, is reserved for Show hosts.

In closing, it is our goal to help you build your businesses in as many ways as possible. As you will hear at Leadership, we will continue to enhance Personal Web Sites and the Kitchen Show experience for your hosts and guests.

If you have questions on these policies, you may call Consultant Career Solutions via the Solution Center hotline at 1-888-OUR-CHEF (Select Option 3, which includes Director Business Services). Or, you can send an e-mail to [email protected]

The Pampered Chef, Pampered Bride, Help Whip Cancer and Kitchen Show are registered trademarks.

For instance, if a friend posted a link on their family's website to your Personal Web Site, you would be in violation of this policy.

How in the world can they enforce something like this. Not to mention how you yourself can know what people are putting on their personal websites. There are lots of ways of getting around this and seems very easy for an innocent person to get in trouble.

I agree. I'm new to PC and after reading this I was not at all very happy. I understand where HO is coming from in wanting to keep the focus on "Kitchen Shows", but based on what is said in this email it kind of takes away all the value and reasons for having a personal website.

I'm a computer Tech and I know that there is just no way to be totally sure that your website won't pop up in a search engine one way or another. Most of the most popular search engines like google are constantly searching the web abd automatically add site of relevance.

I was also disapointed to learn that they will be eliminating the Guest special from Internet orders and that some sales from the Personal website won't count towards incentives and rewards.

Why should I pay for a web presence if I'm not allowed to announce or promote my presence to anyone outside MY personal contacts.

I also found the part where the HO encouraged people to "report" instances of violations a bit troubling. I think that is what started the whole issue to begin with. I've read quite a bit of post on here where people just seemed to be "Policing" everyone else. If everyone spent that much time working thier business I think they would find themselves with less time on their hands and possible more busine$$.

Overall, I will keep my subscription for now and continue to promote my site and the advantages to Online ordering and shopping from the comfort of your own home. Technology is the future and I think HO needs to learn how to better embrace it and help it's consultants to embrace it and utilize it. the Personal website is a powerful tool with lots of advantages and a few disadvantages, which I hope HO will improve over time.

Michael

Michael Serrano said:
I agree. I'm new to PC and after reading this I was not at all very happy. I understand where HO is coming from in wanting to keep the focus on "Kitchen Shows", but based on what is said in this email it kind of takes away all the value and reasons for having a personal website.

I'm a computer Tech and I know that there is just no way to be totally sure that your website won't pop up in a search engine one way or another. Most of the most popular search engines like google are constantly searching the web abd automatically add site of relevance.

I was also disapointed to learn that they will be eliminating the Guest special from Internet orders and that some sales from the Personal website won't count towards incentives and rewards.

Why should I pay for a web presence if I'm not allowed to announce or promote my presence to anyone outside MY personal contacts.

I also found the part where the HO encouraged people to "report" instances of violations a bit troubling. I think that is what started the whole issue to begin with. I've read quite a bit of post on here where people just seemed to be "Policing" everyone else. If everyone spent that much time working thier business I think they would find themselves with less time on their hands and possible more busine$$.

Overall, I will keep my subscription for now and continue to promote my site and the advantages to Online ordering and shopping from the comfort of your own home. Technology is the future and I think HO needs to learn how to better embrace it and help it's consultants to embrace it and utilize it. the Personal website is a powerful tool with lots of advantages and a few disadvantages, which I hope HO will improve over time.

Michael

I totally agree with you on this!

Michael Serrano said:
I've read quite a bit of post on here where people just seemed to be "Policing" everyone else.
First, I hope you are not referring to posts that I and others have made to set records straight. I DO sometimes feel like I am being the policeman when I post that something is "against PC's policy" but people are sometimes misinformed and if we know how it's supposed to be shouldn't we say something? What they do with the information is up to them and thier conscience.

Second, I agree fully with your comments. I wonder what they think the website gives us if we can't use it. I did a search under PC and did not find any link to me but when I did a search with my name as they suggested we do I found not only my website but a couple links to THIS site with my name. I did nothing to get those links there. (In fairness to me though, the only people who would find the links are people who know my name already!) I have asked PC how to remove them because I don't see any way to contact the search engines. I try to follow the guidelines and yes, sometimes I misread them (I AM human) but once I realize that I've made an error I do correct it. I have also asked Greg to help me change my "name" here because I think that may be why that link appears. I am not very savvey on the internet and when I joined this group I didn't know to put in a different "name".

This is a fabulous site. We are able to share tons of great ideas and help new and seasoned consultants enhance their businesses. Let's all take a breath.

Grrr..This is so frustrating to me! I understand what they are trying to do - but are these really serious issues? How can it hurt PC to have folks generating web sales?

Not only do I feel like I am being severely restricted in ways to use my website, which I pay for, and want to earn money with...

But no guest specials for individual purchasers? Many of the folks who do buy from my website are people who I meet at fairs, etc - who have seen myflier for the guest specials, and order when they see something they like. Plus, it encourages them to add another item or two to increase their order.

I also feel like perhaps PC could have asked for some feedback before making these sorts of changes. Maybe they did, and my little only-in-month-four opinion was not what they were looking for - but grrr...I would be fine with this if I didn't pay for it. But when I signed up, I thought - wow! What a great way to reach out to people beyond shows.

And the whole policing thing -don't get me started! Aren't we supposed to be working together?

I am sure I will calm down - it's the holidays, and I am frantic - but I was planning my own little PC "retreat" for after new year's to re-focus, and l was so excited to use my web page more efficiently...

Sigh

WebsiteTo be honest, my website hasn't done anything for my business! I've only gotten 2 orders for shows on there in 1 1/2 years. I had thought about not re-newing but ended up doing so. With all the additional restrictions, I'm beginning to think I made the wrong decision! I wonder if I can cancel and recoup some of my losses.... I'm very happy for those of you who's websites are additional business for you but for me, it hasn't turned out to be that way. I'm very computer savvy (it's my job!) so I've pushed the website as much as I can and it still hasn't done me any good.

Google SearchOk I think that issue is just being focused on way more than it deserves. I have always tried to follow the "rules" that were set for us by HO. However I just did a google search on my name and guess what pops up. My website! :confused: So according to this I am in violation! :mad: How would I even go about getting it pulled off? I never "advertised" my site anywhere, besides in personal e-mails to my customers. Does anyone know how to get this pulled off of a google search? I personally would rather spend my time growing my business rather than policing, whether or not someone picked my site up on a search engine!

Sherrie L
Independent Kitchen Consultant

at the risk of being stoned....I think that the work put into this revised policy was exceptional, relative to the policy that they had before. I think that they addressed several issues that were vague and/or never addressed. I believe that they worked hard at being as fair as possible (it's near impossible to make 70000 consultants all happy :D ). I think that this is the beginning of the journey for PC in addressing websites, etc.

The reference re: links by other people on their websites...seems like a response to that dude that has posted on here that has a personal vendetta against Richard in Solutions Center and who is linking people's PC site on his personal one. It doesn't sound realistic, but it sounds like they're going to have to hire a lot of people just to randomly check links! hehehee.

I don't have a website, b/c like Pam Peters, I didn't receive any added value from it. (Pam, I believe that you can get a % of your website fee reimbursed). But, I am waiting until the time is right b/c I do want one.

I don't personally tell on people b/c everything will work out the way it's supposed to w/o me getting in the mix, karma and all that. But, there is a difference b/c getting clarification on something that I am doing v. tattling on someone else for doing something. I really appreciate the help & support I have rec'd on this site and try to return the favor when I can.

Thank you for all that you do, everyone! :)

I have to say that I am very disappointed with the new policies with regards to personal websites. What's the point of having them if we cant promote them? I mean we are paying for them, for goodness sake! And do I have anything to do with seach-engine algorithms? I can see being asked to take your link off a website (such as this one) but to be held responsible for things that are beyond your control is crazy!
I understand that the kitchen show is the foundation of the business, but I really don't think that having personal websites with on-line ordering is going to replace that.
If my hosts didn't really like the ease of e-vites and the ability to add an outside order to their show via the website, I'd definitely be considering terminating my website agreement.

Email sent to HOI am not a consultant, but have a dear friend who is and who lives a couple of thousand miles from me. I couldn't believe what she was telling me, so came to this site. This prompted me to write the following email to your HO...not as one of you, but on behalf of one like you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Whom it May Concern:

I have been apprised of the new oppressive stance that you are taking with regard to e-business practices for your kitchen consultants. As one who lives far from the person whom I wish to support, I cannot attend a kitchen party and would only be able to support her through online purchases. I have also come to find out that I can jeopardize her status if I take any means to help promote her online presence to my friends and family.

As one who works with technology on a daily basis, I can tell you that you are taking a tack that will only (read: Is already beginning to) tarnish your heretofore stellar reputation. While I am familiar with the fact that kitchen shows are the backbone of your business it is time that you realize that times are changing. I do not need a show in order to know which items I wish to purchase, and the only reason I would choose to order from Pampered Chef, rather than at my local outlet, would be to support your kitchen consultants.

I strongly encourage that you obtain better counsel as to the future of your online presence and support for your Kitchen Consultants in this area. As it stands the message that you are sending to your consultants is very clear and one which I cannot support with my pocketbook. Too bad, too, because I just moved into a new home and was looking forward to stocking my new kitchen with Pampered Chef products. It appears that my local Target store will be the beneficiary of your poor managerial choice.

[My name withheld from this post]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
As I said, I don't have a vested interest, but PC is taking a very backward stance from an e-business standpoint. I only hope enough others will find this out and share this indignation with the HO.

laschus said:
As I said, I don't have a vested interest, but PC is taking a very backward stance from an e-business standpoint. I only hope enough others will find this out and share this indignation with the HO.

You assume PC planned to have an e-business standpoint. PC has thrived for 20 years by doing in person party shows. You can't just allow an e-business side to casually emerge because it destroys the model PC has built and worked with for all those years. However like I said before PC will have to soon incorporate the internet into their current model and figure out a way to make both online and offline PC ventures prosper. Even though I can understand why PC is being so strict, the problem is they are being strict because they are behind the times and didn't plan well. Things like ebay, web forums and advertising outlets like google adwords have been around for years and how they didn't see problems arising is beyond me. They should have mapped out a plan and implemented something a couple years ago to make PC stronger on the net. But instead they are acting threatened and in are in defense mode.

Last edited:
I am new to PC and don't have a PWS just yet but am planning to buy one in the future. I totally understand why PC doesn't allow us to advertise our site other than in personal contacts. If PC allowed us all to advertise on Google or Yahoo sites, more than likely only one person would be getting sales! The person who pays the most normally shows up at the top. If everyone searching for PC items always clicks on the first link that shows up no one else would have any sells! I was once in a direct selling business like this and it is almost impossible to sell anything from a website that way unless you want to spend tons of money to be ranked in the top! JMHO.

Michelle

I agree with the fact that we should be prohibited from paying to promote our site, but on bulletin boards and other on-line communities (not unlike this one) I really do have a problem with not being allowed to mention our PWS. Aren't we encouraged to talk up PC with everyone we meet? Why not with people we "virtually" meet? I do not get a tonne of individual orders via my PWS, but my customers like the fact that they can browse the catalogue on-line, add an out-side order to a show they can't attend etc. And I have had several people email me for more info on hosting/attending a show. So I guess I just don't see the need for us not to have our website listed in our signature in on-line communities.

web infoI just googled my name for the frist time and it came up with tons of my name with my web address . so I called PC to ask about it they told me that the internet is just doing its job and comming up with my name and thats ok . What they DO NOT want is people to pay for their web to be on the internet.
What I don't like is that the guest special no on the web . At our show we tell the guests that we dont always know what is going to be on sale so to check my web often to see what may be on sale . like if someone want to buy stoneware ect . how are they going know this info ,also if someone buys products for 48.99 for a quik pering knife they could have gotten the free item and I don't think that fair NOT to tell them all the to spend 50.00 ,some times I even buy the dollar or two more so the guest can get the special they may not have known or it may have been an outside order and didn't know thats just good customer service I really think this is going to cause problems down the line with what is on the web
Doreen :eek:

My two cents....My concerns with the new policy are....first, I am SO not computer savvy :eek: , I don't like the strict stance that I can be held accountable for my website popping up somewhere. I have NO idea how to stop that! Second, I just bought the window decals for my van from Town & Country (a licensed PC vendor). The decals have my website on them. Do I have to remove them? Is that now considered "illegal"?

As for no longer offering the guest special for online orders, I believe that the incentive of the guest special causes many guests/customers to increase their order. That is beneficial to us AND PC whether they are at a show or online. I don't think it should be discontinued. I encourage my customers to contact me when they would like to place an order so that I can offer personalized service. I will DEFINITELY stress that from now on and submit them myself as individual orders.

GeorgiaPeach said:
decals have my website on them. Do I have to remove them? Is that now considered "illegal"?

As for no longer offering the guest special for online orders, I believe that the incentive of the guest special causes many guests/customers to increase their order. That is beneficial to us AND PC whether they are at a show or online. I don't think it should be discontinued. I encourage my customers to contact me when they would like to place an order so that I can offer personalized service. I will DEFINITELY stress that from now on and submit them myself as individual orders.

I really don't think that having your website on your window decals is considered "illegal". I have my website on my window decals, it is really no different than putting it on your business card, IMO.

As far as the guest special goes, yeah it sort of stinks, but HO is only doing this to protect our businesses. By making it exclusive to the show, this opens an opportunity to book a show if someone likes a particular special. Set-up a preferred customer club or something like that, and every month set up a catalog show in your name on your site. Guests could place individual orders using your name as the hostess, and pay direct shipping so you don't make deliveries. You would only need 3-$50 orders to make a show out of it. Just a suggestion... Who knows what the future will bring and what will be announced at leadership.

I think the HO has good intentions to try to keep our businesses viable.

Sherrie

Punishing consultants for the actions of others?
Admin Greg said:
How in the world can they enforce something like this. Not to mention how you yourself can know what people are putting on their personal websites. There are lots of ways of getting around this and seems very easy for an innocent person to get in trouble.

Greg, you are exactly right. This, I think, is the biggest flaw in the new policy.

There's some more reaction to the web policy over in this thread.

Punishing consultants for the actions of others, cont.I received this response from TPC after I found my site by googling my name. I do not understand the reasoning that the man who has this site is using but I for one do not appreciate ANYONE using my information without first informing me especially when they KNOW that it is against our contract to link our sites. I have emailed him (copying PC so they know I made the attempt) and I suggest you check his list and contact him too if your name is on it.

Hi Beth,
Thank you for contacting the Solution Center. The reason that there are
links to your personal Pampered Chef Web site in a search of "Pampered
Chef Beth Brigham" in search engines is because there are additional
links to your personal Web site on other Web sites. I have located one
such link on the following Web site:

http://www.meettheandersons.com/Pampered_Chef.htm

I suggest you contact the owner of this site at [email protected] and
request that your link be removed because it is a violation of the
advertising policies. All other Consultants who have links on this site
will be notified so they can contact the site to request removal of the
link.

I have been unable to locate any other links so I think that once the
link on the above Web site is removed you will no longer see the links
in the search engines.

Thanks.

Richard Laiche
Solution Center Representative
The Pampered Chef
1-888-OUR-CHEF (687-2433) Option 3

Holy cow, beth that was extremely interesting and shocking. First off what pampered chef is suggesting to that man is basicly anti-internet. The internet works because of the freedom of linking and inter-linking. Its how everything gets connected and remains a free and virtually unpoliced medium. Anyone can link to anyone, that is the beauty of the internet. If PC is insistant on not letting non authorized people use the consultant website they should password protect them, but threatening a website owner of legal action because he is linking to another website is absolutely sickening and poposterous. PC has zero juristiction on anything other than their own site. I can't believe they actually said to him that some consultants could get in trouble because he's linking to their pages, unreal. If you don't want to be listed somewhere on the net then stay off the net because that is what the internet IS; linked sites. Or like I said earlier, PC should password protect their sites.

ps I don't support his immature and vengeful way of dealing with the situation as described on his site, however as a website designer and web user for over ten years how PC is handling things is silly and offensive.

Last edited:
Sethea's story in posted on this website and from what I gather...it is basically a pissing contest b/n Richard and Seth that has apparently affected all consultants with websites with regards to linking! It's craziness...

PC Doesn't know jack about search enginesBeth,
I'm disapointed in Richard for misleading you. I appologize for his rude behaivor. Here's where he was off a little bit:
First off, your link shows up when you search for your name and always will show up because Google is the KING of search engines. Once your site is found, google will forevermore list it in the results. FOREVER. Unless you contact google and I really don't think they would ever respond...
Second, your site doesn't show up on Google because of my link. I found your site by searching for pamperedchef.biz and pulling out all (or a lot anyways.. I could never grab all of em) of the different consultants listed. Your link was on google long before I ever came along.
Third, Mr. Richard Laiche himself gave me permission to post the links that I have posted. Plus, he linked to my site in his email, and if he can link to me, then I can link to him.
Fourth, Pampered Chef won't ever cancel your account because of me. You could sue them in a heart beat for it and make a TON more than you ever could selling baking stones and a lot faster too!
Fifth, if Pampered Chef DOES start canceling accounts because of my links, then I will simply add EVERY rep to my list and then pampered chef wouldn't have a pot to stir in.
So, rest assured Beth, the PC won't cancel your account because of me.

Greg,
Your right. It was a little immature and unprofessional the way that I listed my links. But... It makes me less ticked at Richard, and Pampered Chef in general the way their cripeling their consultants in their quest against the reps. If I ever get time, I would like to make the list a little more professional looking, maybe even optimize it a little bit and make a nice list that would show up in the #1 or #2 spot on google when someone searches for Pampered Chef. But... I don't have time for that yet... Maybe if Richard or someone else at the home office writes to me again it will further motivate me to clean up the site and make it a little more professional looking.

Good luck again to all of you!!!
Seth

Seth,

I do understand what you are saying but I still would like you to honor my request to remove me from your list.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

cajunchelle said:
If PC allowed us all to advertise on Google or Yahoo sites, more than likely only one person would be getting sales! The person who pays the most normally shows up at the top.
Michelle

Michelle, let's test that idea. Check out the January Consultant Newsletter. (Mine came in the mail today.) If you turn to page 16, you'll see that a bunch of the folks at the top of the Peronal Sales Acheivement list are those who advertised heavily on Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Goolge, etc during the month of November. Here's a quick run down...

Sara Philbin $33, 747 :) WOW!
Donna Landy $17,073
Breanna Doyle $19,374
Patsy McGovern $13,075
Beth Jacobs $9,771
Shan Eisler $6,813

Those who advertised online led all the top categories.

No, this isn't the only way to sell $10,000 or $20,000 in one month. (Tom Marston proves that often enough!) But is a GREAT way to reach out to a new customer base... folks who may not be interested in a kitchen show, but who LOVE our products.

Why should the home office take away the opportunity for these consultants to be so successful? They're not hurting anybody. In fact, they are HELPING new customers connect with our brand.

My two cents...

Last edited:
I heard about Tom Marstens from my director. She said that he has big cooking shows and sells tickets to it (to cover the food) and that is really all he does to make all those sales. Supposedly it is a great production he puts on. But I do not think he does regular home shows.

Is he the one that does his show in drag? I heard that some guy does this and is really successful b/c the ladies think it's a hoot. I'm not flamboyant enough to do anything like that.

The new web policy is great for everyone.I don't understand what the issue is. This is actually a great policy that protects each of us, especially directors. If you will go to google and enter pampered chef, you will find the first one or two results will be personal websites. You can place your order there or sign as a new recruit. These are things that should go through the home office and be given out as home office referrals, based upon location. Directors have begun to get fewer and fewer home office leads, and I would be that this is because people are going to the links to personal web sites of people they don't know. The personal web site was intended to be a tool ton increase your personal sales to people you know and have networked with. To allow a select few to profit from their websites at the expense of the other consultants was not fair, and I think that the company should be commended for looking out for all consultants.

One more questionI just noticed something and I wondered if this is in violation of the policy. While I was browsing the boards I saw a member from Ohio where I am from and I clicked on their user name to view their public profile. On it there is a place where their "Home Page" is listed...you guessed it, their PC site. I was curious and started looking at other members profile and found that many people have it listed there. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to "tattle" on anybody...quite the opposite actually. Do you think having them listed there is a violation and if it's not then do we have a "legal" way of sharing with each other our ideas and inspirations on our own web sites. I am leaning toward the thought that it's probably going to be considered a violation but wondered what others thought.

I agree that it's a violation, because the policy specifically says that PC can't be listed in a message board or internet profile as an interest or any other way to "casually" announce that you're a consultant, and a link to your pws would definitely fall into that category. The sad thing is that I think it would be *so* helpful here to see how others are using their sites. If there was a secure place we could list our links, I would be all for it.

Before we judge others we have to be aware that they might not be aware that they are even one of those that has a link to their site. Someone put a link to mine on their site without my knowledge (I don't even know the person) and never even gave me the optioin of opting out!

Hopefully he will honor my request to take me off!

BethCooks4U said:
Before we judge others we have to be aware that they might not be aware that they are even one of those that has a link to their site. Someone put a link to mine on their site without my knowledge (I don't even know the person) and never even gave me the optioin of opting out!

Hopefully he will honor my request to take me off!

Beth, I hope he does take it off per your request. However this is just the nature and beauty of the internet. As I've said before if you don't want people linking to your site then either password protect it or simply don't have a site because linking is what makes the internet work. I get the feeling that pampered chef is scaring people into thinking that website linking is wrong and bad. No one ever needs permission to link two different sites together because there is no "web law" per say. Things are a little different for people in PC because you sign a contract with them restricting what you can do. The problem is when a person under contract conflicts with someone not under contract. Thus PC will always lose when it comes to demanding that a site owner not under contract take down a link. For example, I could too add every consultants site via links and PC could do nothing to me because I'm not under contract and there is no web law requiring me to obtain permission.

jmabner said:
I don't understand what the issue is. This is actually a great policy that protects each of us, especially directors. If you will go to google and enter pampered chef, you will find the first one or two results will be personal websites. You can place your order there or sign as a new recruit. These are things that should go through the home office and be given out as home office referrals, based upon location. Directors have begun to get fewer and fewer home office leads, and I would be that this is because people are going to the links to personal web sites of people they don't know. The personal web site was intended to be a tool ton increase your personal sales to people you know and have networked with. To allow a select few to profit from their websites at the expense of the other consultants was not fair, and I think that the company should be commended for looking out for all consultants.

I think you are a little confused. Being in the google search index is fine. PC doesn't have a problem with that. It's actually extremely easy to stop google from indexing a site, but PC doesn't seem to do it. PC just doesn't want people advertising their websites via direct linking on other sites or through advertising tools. There is nothing a consultant can do to get out of google. PC has to do it directly.

No guest specialsOn the topic of not having the guest specials for individual on-line orders...I see this as similar to the host-only items we had -- fortunately for only a brief time. I understand the concept of having certain things only available for certain people as an incentive. However, I think the host-only items crossed the line into coercion. If I ever have to do that to book shows, my 10-year PC career will be over! I figure if someone is willing to pay full price for something, they should be able to buy it. Some people just do not want to host a show, and they shouldn't be basically forced into it in order to get certain items. There are enough people that DO want to host -- I'd rather work with them. For those who just want to spend money -- that's fine, too!

I'm hoping this "no guest special" thing will go the way of the host-only items... ;)

Admin Greg said:
..... I get the feeling that pampered chef is scaring people into thinking that website linking is wrong and bad. No one ever needs permission to link two different sites together because there is no "web law" per say. Things are a little different for people in PC because you sign a contract with them restricting what you can do. The problem is when a person under contract conflicts with someone not under contract. Thus PC will always lose when it comes to demanding that a site owner not under contract take down a link. For example, I could too add every consultants site via links and PC could do nothing to me because I'm not under contract and there is no web law requiring me to obtain permission.

This is what disturbs me...the policing of this particular part of the policy is aimed at making the consultant suffer and/or be afraid b/c PC (or Richard) knows that they can't make those not under contract do anything.

Like I said before though, this has got to be only the first step.

Not judging
BethCooks4U said:
Before we judge others we have to be aware that they might not be aware that they are even one of those that has a link to their site.

Beth,

I hope you weren't thinking I was judging people just by asking the questions I did earlier. I was simply pointing out a feature of this message board that I had discovered last night and wondered if anybody thought it was OK or not OK. I think it's great, but don't think that the home office will agree. I personally think the whole thing about not being able to include it in signatures on here or on your own or your friends own personal non-PC web sites is silly, but it's not my decision and I will abide by the rules as they are set. Being very new to PC I find it extremely useful to look at other consultants web sites and get ideas from them and would never judge anybody for having theirs listed here on their profile.

Don't Worrry...All,
I understand that Richard Laiche recently sent this email to some folks:
<Start>
Hi,
It has come to our attention that a gentleman by the name of Seth Anderson has included a link to your Pampered Chef personal
Web site on his own personal Web site, which is listed below:
http://www.meettheandersons.com/Pampered_Chef.htm
We realize that Mr. Anderson may have done this without your knowledge, but we wanted to bring it to your attention because it is a violation of the Internet advertising policies. The new policies on linking to your personal Web site that were implemented on December 20, 2005 state that linking to personal Pampered Chef Web sites is now prohibited by Consultants of all levels. This includes both sponsored links and banner ads that you pay for, as well as non-sponsored links that you don�t pay for.
As you will read on his site, nor he or his wife are Consultants with the Pampered Chef. He completely disagrees with the Internet advertising polices and has taken it upon himself to locate as many Consultant Web sites as he can and put them on his site.
We have pleaded with Seth to please remove these links as they are a violation of the advertising policies but he refuses to comply. All Consultants that have links to their personal Web sites on his site are being notified because these links may cause your Web site to rank high in search engines, which is also a violation. The new personal Web site linking policies will actively be enforced beginning February 1, 2006. Random audits of links to personal Web sites will begin on this date as well and may cause your online ordering feature to be temporarily disabled if this particular link is not removed from his site.
We are asking that you please send an e-mail to Seth Anderson at [email protected] and ask that he remove your link no later than the deadline given above. Please copy me on your notice to him so that we have the correspondence on file that you did indeed contact him in case he decides not to comply.
Thank you,
Richard Laiche
Solution Center Representative
The Pampered Chef
1-888-OUR-CHEF (687-2433) Option 3
<end>

Ok... First, Richard did plead with me to remove the links and I did. I then re-listed the links AFTER Richard gave me permission to do so.

Second, He says that I am locating and listing as many sites as possible as if this is a big task. All one has to do is search Google for site:www.pamperedchef.biz to get a list of 13,000+ pampered chef websites.

Third, Richard has a monumental task ahead of him if he is really going to locate all of the links on the internet and ban the site owners of such links. If you do another google seach for "www.pamperedchef.biz" you'll get about 110,000 links. Assuming 13k of those pages are pamperedchef.biz sites, there are then 97,000 additional references to pc websites of which the majority are in the form of "illegal" links. It would take Richy years to contact, follow up with, and then ban every one of those consultants. (Imagine how many pots and pans you all are needing to sell to pay for Richard's salary, just so he can sit around and plan his QUEST AGAINST THE REPS.)

Fourth, the website listings in Google are not there because of me, I GOT the links from Google. The listings will stay in Google even if they were not listed on my site.

Fifth, Richard won't cancel your site because of my links. Think about it - I have well over 1,000 links on the site. Do you really think they would tick off all of those reps over something that isn't even in their control? Richard is just simply lying to and threating PC reps to try to scare them for whatever reason.

Sixth, remember folks, Richard works because you sell. YOU pay his salary. This company wouldn't have a pot to stir in if it weren't for each and every one of you working so hard. To think that Richard would cut off his nose to spite his face shows how little thought he has put into his communications.

If I were you...
I would write to Richard, and his boss and whoever else you may know at PC and tell them that you wish the company would spend it's time building up the company rather than trying to tear down the morale and effort of it's reps.

Good Luck!
Seth

these links may cause your Web site to rank high in search engines, which is also a violation.

Huh?? We cannot *pay* to have our sites get listed prominently on a search engine. Could someone please explain how it's a violation for my site to simply rank high?? I mean, the way Google works is the more hits a website gets, the higher it's listed. What does that violate?

Honestly, I am so tired of this whole situation. It's a tempest in a teapot. If PC contacts me for being in violation, I'll address it at that time. I've done what is reasonable to comply with what I understand but it seems even once the new policy came out, it is still evolving, based on what Richard emailed Seth. Nothing turns up in a search engine unless you know my name in the first place. And my name, clearly, belongs to me.

Seth,
You really need to find something to occupy your time!! You are not associated with PC at all other than trying to stir a pot. Trouble maker. I could completely understand if you or your wife were consultants and want to stand your ground. But I really don't understand all the time you have devoted to this issue. So, move on already. I also think that there is nothing but the finest business people working at PC home office. I have always been treated with extreme proffessionalism by them and honored for my hard work. Go toot your horn somewhere else where people want to hear it.

Last edited:
WendyAebi said:
Huh?? We cannot *pay* to have our sites get listed prominently on a search engine. Could someone please explain how it's a violation for my site to simply rank high?? I mean, the way Google works is the more hits a website gets, the higher it's listed. What does that violate?

Google has a very complex search algorithm. The algorithm is a mathematical tool that calculates every websites "weight", the more it weighs the higher the site is ranked. The algorithm is tweaked and changed almost every week by tens of workers at google with multiple PhD. Google does not announce how their algorithm works or how you can weight your site, but there are rumors and theories, One of these theories is that the more websites that link to a site will add weight. Consultants who are web saavy and know this and have the resources to get linked on other sites will thus have an advantage on google, that is what PC is trying to discourage.

The problem is that you can theoretically rank well even without any or many sites linking to you. Google is a mysterious search engines that updates almost daily and you can't control or predict how it will rank things with accuracy. One of the major problems is that because your PC sites are basicly integrated into the PC corporate page it automaticly gets a nice ranking because the PC corporate page is ranked well.

BethCooks4U said:
Before we judge others we have to be aware that they might not be aware that they are even one of those that has a link to their site. Someone put a link to mine on their site without my knowledge (I don't even know the person)

Beth, I didn't find your site on Seth Anderson's directory of http://www.meettheandersons.com/Pampered_Chef.htm, but I did see it on this page: http://t456.com/collectibles/comments.htm. Apparently, you ordered something from this store and sent them an email about it. You included your PC web site in your email (as the Home Office has encouraged us all to do) and this company included it when they quoted your positive feedback on their web site.

OK, so now you are in violation of the policy. You did nothing wrong. In fact, you did exactly what the HO told you to do. But that doesn't matter. You are in violation. Strike One. That one link is enough to get you listed in Google and other search engines. Strike Two. Being in Google might be enough for someone else (like Anderson) to list you on yet another web site. Strike Three... You're out!

This is a perfect illustration of why the policy is unworkable. You can do everything right, and still get in trouble.

I think the Home Office was trying to level the playing field (as I said in this discussion thread - click here) but I don't think they considered all the implications. I hope PCHO is reading this forum and comes to understand why people are so upset.

Attachments

• bethcooks4u.jpg
    bethcooks4u.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
WoodenSpoon said:
http://t456.com/collectibles/comments.htm. Apparently, you ordered something from this store and sent them an email about it. You included your PC web site in your email (as the Home Office has encouraged us all to do) and this company included it when they quoted your positive feedback on their web site.
This "bethcooks4u" reference is not me. I chose this for my "name" on Chef Success and did not know that someone had it as their website address with Pampered Chef. :eek:

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• WoodenSpoon
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
bbauman07
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies