Stoneware and the grill

Has anyone ever used their stones on the grill? I was looking online about grilled pizza, and they mentioned putting a pizza stone on the grill. Williams-Sonoma is selling a stone for the grill, but it's on some kind of base. I'm assuming that protects it from the flames, but I guess it could be to make it easy to remove. I was thinking of just trying a stone, but I was hoping someone else had some experience with it already. With the smoker box in our grill and a stone, I'm hoping to immitate some of the wood-oven pizzas in the great restaurants.

Thanks!

ChefDi

You cannot use PC stones on the grill. It voids the warranty. The heat fluxuation can cause it to crack.

That is technically the correct answer, but I know that you can use it as long as it is a charcoal grill and not gas, you have to have indirect heat. You need to have the coals around the edjes only, not under the stone.

I've used mine on the grill to make pizza, and it was a gas grill. I put it on low heat. This was before I was aware that the stones should not be exposed to open flames. I was happy it didn't damage my stones. I don't think I will attempt to do it again.

I have a customer that has done it a lot...

I have a host who has been doing it for 6 years - with no breakage. I wouldn't do it - but she just bought another stone, because her family is bigger and she wants to be able to do more than one at a time.

I just have asked her not to brag on it when she is hosting or at shows!

I know I've heard of people saying they have done it, even had someone talk about it at a show. I just had to kindly remind her that doing so voids PC warranty.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Need Grill Pan & Grill Press Recipe Ideas
    By dorothyb58 in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 9
    03-25-2011, 08:28 PM
  2. Replies: 47
    10-10-2008, 11:08 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    06-20-2007, 06:32 PM
  4. Stoneware on the Grill??
    By letscook04 in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 6