Stoneware in the dishwasher OH MY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I went over to my friends house for lunch today and when I put my plate in the dishwasher, there was her small bar pan. I screamed. She asked me why she shouldn't put it in there and quite frankly, I didn't know what to tell her. I just never have done that. She said she does it all the time.

I have a customer that does it all the time. She says when she taste soap, she will buy a new one, ha!

She is not suppose to do it b/c of the soap in the dishwasher. There may be other reasons but that is the only one I know.

supposedly, the stone can absorb(?) the soap and make your food taste off. personally, my hubby hand washed my 1st stones with soap and water once and it didn't affect them. however, I wouldn't encorage it. although, if she is willing to buy a new one when that one starts messing with food flavors, i guess that just means repeat business in the future!

Putting a stone in the dishwasher is a bad idea because:

1. it voids the warranty
    2. it could cause thermal shock and later could break while in use
    3. it gets rid of the seasoning
    4. the soap taste thing

not to mention the insane water pressure

I just don't get it, my stones, even before they were seasoned, are some of the easiest things to clean! I don't understand people who think they have to put everything in the dishwasher!

Quote Quote by pampermejolene View Post
    I just don't get it, my stones, even before they were seasoned, are some of the easiest things to clean! I don't understand people who think they have to put everything in the dishwasher!

Because they are lazy. (My mother is one of those people...she admits it herself). Just as long as they know not to come crying to you when the item breaks or doesn't work properly anymore.

its not always because people are lazy (some of us are OCD & don't like things out looking messy)
    there are days I am so busy, I don't have the extra time to wash, dry and put it away.
    I refuse to have a dish drainer for them to drip dry and put away later
    my DW sometimes runs up to 3-4 times a day (always full)

A customer has a broken stone and says she does run it in the dishwasher. Do I do a product adjustment if they insist or tell them tough luck? Honestly, I don't understand how this could make it break more....

I have customers who put them into the dishwasher all the time, BUT they do NOT add soap. I have strongly recommended that they don't do this. But as far as I know they still do.

I wouldn't do the adjustment...I would just politely explain that it voids the warranty because it is not supposed to be used that way. It's not YOUR fault, nor PC's responsibility to make sure they actually READ. Best I would offer is to let her know about September's specials, if she seems upset or turned off, MAYBE offer an extra 10% off (from your commission).

Just doesn't seem honest to me to return something we know is voided for the warranty. THere is no way of knowing if her putting it in the dishwasher caused problems that resulted in the breakage.

And I read somewhere that the soap isn't absorbed into the stone, but that it "sticks" to the fats/oils that are seasoned onto the pan, and that is why we taste it. I also read that the baking soda-paste concoction could help eliminate that (haven't tried it).

my dh washed mine with soap (he was trying to help), and for the first couple times after that things didn't cook just right. they weren't as crispy and my rolls were still doughy on the bottom, but a year later and its back to normal! and my dh knows to never ever EVER put my stones near soap again!

Quote Quote by esavvymom View Post

And I read somewhere that the soap isn't absorbed into the stone, but that it "sticks" to the fats/oils that are seasoned onto the pan, and that is why we taste it. I also read that the baking soda-paste concoction could help eliminate that (haven't tried it).
    This is what I've been told as well.

Judybabe
    the stones are similar to cast iron. they have to build a season to be effective. who puts those in a dishwasher?

The pressure of the water in the dishwasher is also bad for the stones. It can force the water into the pores of the stone, where it sits until the stone is used. Then it turns to steam and can break the stone.

Facebook:
    Visit
    Twitter:
    Visit
    I would explain that washing the stone in the dishwasher voided the warranty. The product information says that it is not dishwasher safe.

Quote Quote by pc_jessica View Post
    my dh washed mine with soap (he was trying to help), and for the first couple times after that things didn't cook just right. they weren't as crispy and my rolls were still doughy on the bottom, but a year later and its back to normal! and my dh knows to never ever EVER put my stones near soap again!
    After an episode where DH tried to scrub the NEW seasoning from my BRAND NEW bar ban with a green pad and got green all over it (the pan I hosted a show just to get before I was a consultant!) he isn't allowed to mess with any of the stoneware, He just leaves it on the counter for me. I don't get what is so hard about scraping it with a nylon scraper either, but I don't mind doing it.

The temperature changes of the dishwasher and the harsh detergent enzymes are definitely not good for a stone. Stones tend to be temperamental anyway (both my small oval baker and my DCB had to be returned under warranty before I was a consultant and I take impeccable care of my stoneware). I once turned up a stone baker in the center of the oven higher than 450 (of course it was my favorite long-retired one) and it cracked it right in half. I do use my pizza stone at 500 every time, but at the very, very bottom of the oven. And it's the old stone without handles.

I won't put sharp knives in the dishwasher either, but I am a freak like that.

Some people (like my OCD MIL) don't think that anything can be cleaned without tons of soap. She still doesn't understand how the stonewear gets cleaned just with hot water. Its partially an old fashioned thing imho.

We put the color-coated tomato knife in the DW and it was fine... Then we put 2 in there and it turned the Food Chopped plastic green as well some of the dishwasher plastic. Won't make that mistake again!

I'm confused why we say that it can't be washed with soap because it will absorb the taste of soap. Don't we also claim that the nonporous surface doesn't absorb flavors?! I understand that we say no soap because it breaks down the natural non-stick finish.. but we claim that it does not absorb oils or flavors from cooking, so how can we say it absorbs the soap taste??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. New dishwasher! Yay!!
    By chefann in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 23
    10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
  2. Dishwasher Safe?
    By Mom2KL in Products and Tips
    Replies: 7
    04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
  3. Stoneware in dishwasher w/out soap?
    By lacychef in Products and Tips