Rice Cooker Cake?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Quote by sailortena
    My first show is going to be Mexican theme. I am thinking of doing a taco ring, preparing a simple dip or salsa and I want to do a microwave cake. I read somewhere on here that they had a recipe for a Microwave Strawberry Margarita cake. I'd love to cook this in the rice cooker.

Does anyone have the recipe?

Here is the recipe. I will email it to you also.

Strawberry Margarita Cake
    · Vanilla Cake mix (plus ingredients to make cake MINUS ½ cup of water if there is a lot of juice from strawberries)
    · Strawberry Kool-Aid unsweetened packet
    · 1 small container THAWED frozen strawberries (can use fresh sliced strawberries)
    · 1 lime (juice & zest)
    · 1 container vanilla flavored frosting (can add food color)
    · 1 tsp rum extract (optional)

Mix cake mix with oil/water, kool-aid, rum extract (optional), finely chopped lime zest; drop strawberries on top before baking, as they will sink thru the cake during baking;
    Bake in oiled fluted stone in microwave for 11-13 minutes (top of cake should be done). When cool frost.

Mix lime juice and frosting to taste- add food color for fun.

Thanks for posting this, sure does sound yummy

I wondered when others would catch on to this. I've been thinking of this ever since I starting reading/hearing about the cakes/corn muffins, desserts in the rice cookers

Quote Quote by mypamperedmoocow
    The cakes made in the rice cooker plus should be quicker than the ones done in the stoneware. That's because the rice cooker is like a pressure cooker--enclosed and only vents the steam, so things cook faster in it. Kind of like when you boil water in a lidded pot versus an open pot--the heat stays inside instead of venting out into the open. The typical stoneware microwave cake takes 12-14 min. whereas the rice cooker cakes take about 9 min. I've made a couple of the stonewave microwave cakes in the rice cooker and they turned out great! About 9 min. is what works in my microwave with a turntable...yours may be more or less depending on the microwave and whether or not it has a turntable inside it or not. Hope that helps!

It is recommended that you not use the lid when baking a cake in the rice cooker.

Quote Quote by Sk8Mom209
    It is recommended that you not use the lid when baking a cake in the rice cooker.

I have done both! And it seems to me that the cakes turn out more moist when the lid is on! Just my 2 cents.

Does anyone know why it is recommended not to cover?

The cake would be too moist and gummy with some of the different recipes. Also, I noticed when I used the lid, the cake rose into the lid and out the little hole and stuck. I was going to spray the lid the next time, but I make the new SB recipe and followed the directions and did not use the lid.

Our new Season's Best shows how to make the Warm Chocolate Hazelnut Cake in the Rice Cooker Plus. I have also cooked hamburger meat in the microcookers plenty a time. For 1 lb. of hamburger it takes about a total of 7mins. Cook 2 minutes, keep covered and drain, then mix. Microwave for 3 more minutes, drain and season meat. Then cook for the final 2 minutes and it comes out perfect!!

Quote Quote by Cookie
    I was doing a craft fair and this woman said she was at a show where the consultant made a cake in the microwave in a micro rice cooker. It had the frosting melted at the bottom like the one you make in the fluted pan. Then she served the cake in dishes and cooked hamburger meat in the rice cooker.
    Has anyone ever done either of these things? What are the times? What do you use the burger for after it's cooked, a taco ring or do you make a burger and rice dish? Thanks.

I don't use the lid for my cakes, mainly because it doesn't fit in my microwave. Might be a selling point, let your guests know that the cakes can be made with or without the lid. The rice cooker cake with the cake mix and icing, I've heard it called "lava cake" is pretty neat. I sold a couple of rice cookers to some busy working moms, they were so excited they could actually have dessert after dinner.

KristineAdams
    I got this recipe and others from a consultant who uses her Rice Cooker Plus for all sorts of recipes. Here is her cake recipe:
    Molten Chocolate Lava Cake

One box of chocolate cake mix
    ingredients to make the chocolate cake (from the back of the box)
    One can of chocolate frosting

1. Empty cake mix and cake mix ingredients into Rice Cooker Plus and mix together.
    2. Add ½ the can of frosting with Small Scoop.
    3. Microwave for about 8-10 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
    Microwave time may vary.
    You can use any kind of cake mix and frosting, but chocolate is my favorite!

Here are some other recipes I received from her for the RCP:
    •Use the Rice Cooker Plus for more than just rice. You can use it to make Macaroni and Cheese, steamed vegetables, soups, instant pasta and potatoes, pudding, oatmeal, cakes, just about anything without worrying about it boiling over the microwave and making a mess.
    Rice
    1C Rice OR Wild Rice
    2C Water

1. Place rice and water in Rice Cooker Plus. Attach both lids.
    2. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
    3. Microwave on medium power for 15-18 minutes.
    To make more rice, simply double or triple the water and the rice amounts. This rice cooker can easily make up to 3 cups of rice!

Creamy Rice Pudding
    ¾ cup uncooked long grain white rice
    ½ tsp Pantry Korintji Cinnamon
    2 ½ cups water
    1 cup half and half
    ¼ tsp salt
    ½ cup raisins (optional)
    1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
    1 cup milk
    1. Combine rice, water and salt in Rice Cooker Plus. Cover and microwave for 15 minutes on medium and 10 minutes on high. Allow rice to stand for 5 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, in Small Batter Bowl, combine milk, half and half, pudding mix and cinnamon; whisk until smooth and beginning to thicken using Stainless Steel Whisk.
    3. Remove cooker from microwave. Carefully remove lids, lifting away from you. Add pudding mixture and raisins, if desired; mix well using Classic Scraper. Makes 8 servings.
    4. ENJOY!!!! I think it’s served better hot, but try it both ways!

Quick Rice Pudding
    1 tsp. flavoring
    1 c. instant rice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3 1/2 oz. pkg. instant vanilla pudding
    1 c. raisins
    Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.

Place in the Rice Cooker Plus: Microwave for 9 minutes. Allow to set 2-3 minutes after removing from oven.

Bachelor’s Rice Bowl
    1 1/2 c. water
    1 c. med. or long grain rice
    1/4 c. chopped onion
    1/4 c. diced carrot
    1/4 c. diced sweet potato
    1/4 c. fresh peas, fresh lima beans or diced jicama
    1 tsp. vegetable oil
    1/2 tsp. salt

Put vegetable oil in bottom of Rice Cooker Plus. Add salt. Then pour in rice and other ingredients except water. Stir dry mixture thoroughly, then add water. Cook for 15 minutes in microwave oven on high setting. 3 or 4 servings - 250 calories per serving.

Creamy One Pot Mashed Potatoes
    **Uses the same amounts of potatoes, milk, and butter as your regular mashed potatoes!**

1. Peel and slice/cube potatoes as usual. Place in Rice Cooker Plus.
    2. Add butter. (amount depends on your taste and the amount of spuds you use)
    3. Add enough milk so that half of the potatoes are covered.
    4. Microwave until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
    5. Mash with potato masher. Add more milk or butter if needed. Add salt/pepper/seasoning to taste.

Variations: Add 1-2 whole, peeled garlic cloves to peeled and cubed potatoes and cook as recipe directs. Add sour cream with seasonings.

Mashed potatoes are yummy!

Use the Ultimate Slice N Grate to slice potatoes and place them in the cooker. Fill about half way for a family of 4. Pour chicken, veggie stock, OR water over potatoes until almost covered. Put in the microwave about 10 minutes. Depending on the microwave, you may need to cook longer.

Mash potatoes by draining off stock into the Easy Read Measuring Cup. Add light margarine and begin to mash them adding small amounts of stock to get the mashed potatoes into the correct consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If you are not worried about your hips  add butter and milk. If you like them whipped, you can do it right in the bowl.
    OPTIONS: Add freshly minced garlic, grated parmesan cheese from the micro plane, or even cheddar cheese from the cheese grater. You can go all out and add some sour cream too!

Another thing that is too delicious... take 2 cups of chicken stock and add 1/2 to 1 packet of Lipton Savory Herb and Garlic soup mix to the stock and then pour it over the potatoes. If it doesn't cover it, add more stock or water.

Middle Eastern Rice & Lentils
    3/4 c. coarsely chopped onion
    1 T. favorite sauté liquid
    3 1/2 c. broth or 3 1/2 c. water + 1 t. salt
    3/4 c. uncooked rice
    1/2 c. dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
    1 c. diced, peeled baking potato
    3/4 c. diced, peeled carrot
    1/2 c. raisins
    1/2 t. ground black pepper
    1/2 t. ground cumin
    1/2 t. ground cinnamon
    1/8 t. ground cloves
    1 c. diced red bell pepper
    3/4 c. frozen green peas

1. In Rice Cooker Plus combine onion and sauté liquid. Microwave uncovered for 2-3 minutes, stirring once, until crisp-tender.

2. Add broth/water, rice, lentils, potato, carrot, raisins and spices. Cover with lid or vented plastic wrap. Micro on High for 18-20 minutes, stirring 3 times, until rice and lentils are almost tender (took longer for lentils).

3. Stir in bell pepper and peas. Cover and micro for 3-5 minutes more, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice and lentils are tender. Let stand on heatproof surface for 5 minutes before serving

Savory Vegetable Rice Pilaf
    8 ounces sliced mushrooms (2 cups)
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 tablespoon butter/margarine
    2 ¼ cups chicken broth
    1 cup uncooked converted white rice
    1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
    2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
    ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
    salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
    1. Combine mushrooms, onion and butter in Rice Cooker Plus. Microwave uncovered on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender.
    2. Add chicken broth and rice. Cover and microwave according to package directions, carefully following recommended power levels and cooking times.
    3. Remove cooker from microwave. Carefully remove lids, lifting away from you. Gently stir in peas and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon rice into bowl and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
    Other Ideas: ramen noodles
     heat pie filling to make pies bake more quickly
     combine 1 pound cooked meat and favorite sauce (manwich, spaghetti, alfredo, etc) to heat quickly
     minute rice (use 50/50 water and rice, cook about 5 minutes, let sit 5-10 minutes – check microwave directions on box)
     noodle-roni mixes
     rice-a-roni mixes
     mac n cheese
     heat soups

I have started doing the Rice Cooker cake at my shows, I bring the box mix and frosting and do it just as a little extra bonus. At my last show I had 15 people there and 12 bought the Rice Cooker...woohoo, that added almost $240 to my total. I absolutely love doing the cake at the shows and so do my guests.

I had actually thought about doing this too. However was quickly reminded that everyone's microwave is different and this could be tricky as well.

Glad it worked well for you too.

Liz

Quote Quote by soonerchef
    I have started doing the Rice Cooker cake at my shows, I bring the box mix and frosting and do it just as a little extra bonus. At my last show I had 15 people there and 12 bought the Rice Cooker...woohoo, that added almost $240 to my total. I absolutely love doing the cake at the shows and so do my guests.

Quick Rice Pudding
    1 tsp. flavoring
    1 c. instant rice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3 1/2 oz. pkg. instant vanilla pudding
    1 c. raisins
    Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.

Place in the Rice Cooker Plus: Microwave for 9 minutes. Allow to set 2-3 minutes after removing from oven.

Does anyone know the amount of liquid for this recipe? I have this in my rice cooker book and this is exactly how it is in there (posted on here). I'm sure it needs liquid?

Here is the recipe that I believe as posted in an KC issue. I know it came from something PC!

My family loves it!!

Lee Anne
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 years ago I was at a PC Show and the consultant talked about doing a cake in the mico cooker. I used it as a selling point last week..... What a coinkidink!!
    Now I have to try it!!

I have done it and it is AMAZING. I mix the cake mix right in the rice cooker (truly a one bowl cake). The put 6-7 medium scoops of frosting in the cooker on top of the mix. As it cooks the frosting falls to the bottom. Put the lid on top and lock it. Microwave for 10-12 minutes. Invert the cake onto a Lg square simple additions plate. The frosting runs down the cake like LAVA!

I have been buying the ingredents myself and making it at my shows. Guests are amazed that it really works. I bought cake mix at Safeway last week they were on sale 10 for $10 and the frosting was 2 for $3. For $2.50 I sold 4 rice cookers ($76 - 2.5 = $73.50) I would say that is worth it!!!

Great idea for summer birthdays or BBQ's. No need to turn on your oven

This cake is amazing. It is in the Seasons Best Spring/Summer 2006
    Warm Chocolate Hazelnut Cake. I have made it and than served it on the celebrate plate and it looks and tastes amazing.
    [SIZE=7][COLOR=Lime]

The cake is called Warm Chocolate Hazelnut Cake and can be found in the Spring/Summer Season's Best 2006. It is oh so good! I'd say it takes about 20 minutes to have the cake completely done from start to finish and ready to eat. This recipe is fast, easy, and delicious! No kidding!
    Last edited by pamperedkristina; 03-11-2006 at 01:30 AM. Reason: fix error

I'm not big on too sweet of stuff, I usually can eat plain cake, without frosting. So if I use cake with pudding in it, will that work without any frosting added to it???

I'm looking now for the Margarita cake as I'd like to try that.

ps: Even though I don't like super sweet stuff, the two times I bought Nutella (choc hazelnut spread) I ate it right out of the jar and within 2 days ate the whole thing

thanks in advance

Yes, the directions call for cake mix with pudding mixed in it. The nutella is mixed in the cake mix and used on it. No actual frosting used or required. It is sweet but not too sweet.

I made the warm hazelnut cake in the rice cooker at my show yesterday. I freaked when I got to the hosts home, because I forgot to ask her if her mico-wave had a turntable during my coaching calls, and this one did not. The recipe said it should only be made in micro-wave with turntable. We went ahead and tried it, with the host turning the cake every 30 seconds ( I think it is safe to turn every minute) and it worked just fine.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Looking for a rice cooker cake
    By Cheflee87 in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 6
    11-12-2007, 05:36 AM
  2. Rice Cooker cake?
    By SilverCeladon in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 43
    03-22-2007, 01:52 AM
  3. Rice Cooker Cake
    By rossjulie in Theme Shows