Rice coker for popcorn??

I have a customer and upcoming host who asked me if the rice cooker could be used for making popcorn nthe microwave. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I'm pretty sure that use is contraindicated by the use and care. I wouldn't risk it.

Yeah...I agree with Ann. That would be WAY too high of heat, and could start a fire?

I wouldn't!! I think that it would not have enough room to pop and it poses a fire risk.... like Kelly said!

The hot oil could melt the Rice Cooker.

Quote Quote by wadesgirl
    The hot oil could melt the Rice Cooker.
    I've never seen oil used when popping corn in the microwave. My mom had a plastic microwave popper when I was younger, and while it worked, it made lousy popcorn because there was no oil and salt wouldn't stick to it (like air-popped popcorn).

lost somewhere in the land of Lake Woebegon
    Hot oil will melt the plastic. I ruined my old colander bowl set doing this.

I do Micro popcorn using my Classic Batter bowl. I never measure but it is about 1/2 tsp oil and 1/3 cup popcorn. place lid (not tightly) on bowl or use a plate ot plastic wrap. (It must be able to vent steam). nuke 3-4 mins. The 2nd batch will pop better because everything is allready hot. I also try to leave the kernels that did not pop in the BB for the 2nd round.
    Last edited by etteluap70PC; 06-18-2008 at 04:04 PM.

I haven't made popcorn other than the kind that comes in a microwave bag in so long that I forgot about even needing oil. I wouldn't bother.

Microwave caution: My son cooked a "baked" potato on one of the dots salad dishes and the dish got so hot that he got a blister on his hand. He has done the same thing many times with the small bar pan and even though it's quite warm he has never felt it was nearly as hot as that. Be careful!

I have heard of people doing popcorn in the large micro-cooker before and they addressed the issue with Pampered Chef several years ago. Pampered Chef discouraged people from doing that.... it is hot safe and will cause the bowl to pit.

thanks everyone - i will pass all of that along

DH loves it when I make popcorn on the stove, so I had to keep one of my old copperbottom pans for this because there was no way I was going to risk scratching the bottom of my Exec pans for popcorn.

I use my Executive Stir Fry skillet! I comes out just fine and it's beautiful still! Works wonderful and my kids think I'm awesome for doing this! Hey, another thing I do is add Sweet Caramel Sprinkle to the popcorn! Then they have their own caramel popcorn!

Quote Quote by MissChef View Post
    I use my Executive Stir Fry skillet! I comes out just fine and it's beautiful still! Works wonderful and my kids think I'm awesome for doing this! Hey, another thing I do is add Sweet Caramel Sprinkle to the popcorn! Then they have their own caramel popcorn!
    Great idea! My DH would love that! I've been doing popcorn on the stove for years. I also make popcorn with olive oil instead of vegetable oil and it gives the popcorn a great flavor. Then I can add whatever seasonings I like. Garlic is a popular one around here. I'm even thinking of trying it with some of the PC rubs and seasonings.

How do you make the popcorn on the stove with the stir fry skillet?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Asian short grain rice in the rice cooker?
    By CookingwithMary in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 9
    07-04-2009, 09:21 AM
  2. Popcorn Wrappers
    By jbdowd0798 in Flyers & Letters
    Replies: 3
    03-23-2008, 10:05 AM
  3. Micro Cooker --Popcorn?
    By MandyK in Products and Tips
    06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
  4. Quick Rice Pudding - Rice Cooker (help asap!)
    By Pampered Laura in Recipes and Tips
    12-14-2006, 11:03 AM
  5. Popcorn recipe???
    By RossDeb2 in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 2
    09-02-2006, 10:04 PM