Problems with apple peeler-corer-slicer

I have a customer who purchased one a couple of years ago. She's asking me about a problem she has where it takes off too much flesh from the apple along with the peel. She has tried adjusting the cutter piece, but it is still taking off too much. Any suggestions for her? I've sometimes had this problem and thought it was because the apples were too soft, but it seems to even be happening with Granny Smiths.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give!

I too find that if the apple is softer, it will remove more fruit with the peel. If I use it in the fall, right after the apples are picked, I have a better quality peel and slice than I do with apples I buy in say, January. Apples as they sit get mealy and soft, even Granny Smith's, so, I make sure I do a bushel or two of apples in the fall and freeze them for pies or desserts to make later. Oh and get this! I did a pie using frozen apples I did in the fall sometime in February, it was the last pouch I had in the freezer. Then I had to run out and buy apples to make a second pie. The apples that I froze actually had a better texture and even a better taste than the ones I bought "fresh" from the grocery store!

Quote Quote by pampered1224 View Post
    I too find that if the apple is softer, it will remove more fruit with the peel. If I use it in the fall, right after the apples are picked, I have a better quality peel and slice than I do with apples I buy in say, January. Apples as they sit get mealy and soft, even Granny Smith's, so, I make sure I do a bushel or two of apples in the fall and freeze them for pies or desserts to make later. Oh and get this! I did a pie using frozen apples I did in the fall sometime in February, it was the last pouch I had in the freezer. Then I had to run out and buy apples to make a second pie. The apples that I froze actually had a better texture and even a better taste than the ones I bought "fresh" from the grocery store!
    What a great tip John! Thanks!!

Quote Quote by pampered1224 View Post
    Thanks for the great tip! Do you freeze the apples with or without the sugar and spices? And do you use a zip-lock bag, or vacuum sealed bag? I am so doing this in the fall!

Items for Sale
    I had that problem-hated the thing when I first tried to use it. Adjusting the cutting head should work - She will need to play around with it to get the right cutting depth!
    I also find the apples that are bagged (like 3# bags) are the better ones to use with the APCS. They are more uniform in shape and size and cut better.

BTW I LOVE the APCS-Apple Berry Salsa is my Favorite PC recipe!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Apple peeler corer slicer
    By pc_jessica in Products and Tips
    Replies: 7
    10-21-2009, 09:12 AM
  2. Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer
    By AmaraJ in Products and Tips
    Replies: 6
    06-17-2008, 05:55 PM
  3. Apple peeler/slicer/corer tip!
    By its_me_susan in Products and Tips
    Replies: 13