What to do with cooked brown rice
In order to use up some chicken broth in the fridge, I cooked a batch of brown rice...and am looking for some creative ideas on what do do with it other than serve as a plain side.
Thanks in advance!
Make Fried Rice!
VEGETABLE FRIED RICE
* 3 cups water
* 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
* 2 tablespoons peanut oil
* 1 small yellow onion, chopped
* 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 3 green onions, thinly sliced
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1 (8 ounce) can baby peas, drained
* 2 teaspoons sesame oil
* 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1. In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic and pepper flakes, to taste. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high and stir in cooked rice, green onions and soy sauce. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add peas and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Add sesame oil and mix well. Garnish with peanuts, if desired.
Here is a recipe that I've been meaning to try, but haven't yet - it looks good to me though. We love brown rice at our house!
AMAZING BROWN RICE SALAD
* 2 cups water
* 1 cup brown rice
* 1/4 cup diced red onion
* 1/2 cup diced celery
* 1/4 cup dried cranberries
* 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
* 1 tablespoon sugar
1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, or until done.
2. Transfer rice to a serving bowl, and stir in onion, celery, cranberries, salad dressing and sugar. Cover, refrigerate, and serve cold.
I add any extra rice to soups, chili, salads. You could also make rice balls...yum...I love an Italian Rice Ball....breaded, topped with Marinara sauce and mozzerella cheese.............so delish!
Oh - and our favorite way to eat it as a simple side is to cook it chicken broth, just like you did - and then saute it with some chopped onion, mushrooms, and crushed garlic. My 4 yr old loves it this way!
mmm, that sounds good.
I recently started serving brown rice at home. I was apprehensive about it because DH can be pretty picky. But he mentioned that he liked the texture and the nutty flavor. And the birds like it, too. But we just usually eat it plain as a side dish with a sauced entree (like General Tso's Chicken).
You could also stir fry some fresh veggies and kilbosa and use the rice with that. Also, I second the fried rice yum.
I like to add some veggies and some low fat cheddar cheese. Guess that could be a side, however.
Or you could add some sauteed onion, garlic and parsley for colore
You are asking the wrong person. I hate rice. Traumatized at a young age and can't stand the stuff.
But better the brown rice than the white. Maybe rice pudding? Which, to me, sounds horrible, but some folks might like it.
Similar Pampered Chef Threads
By purrbal in Recipes and Tips
09-19-2007, 01:45 AM
By its_me_susan in Recipes and Tips
01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
By braveslady in Recipes and Tips
10-16-2006, 05:48 PM
By kitchenqueen in Products and Tips
08-09-2005, 04:12 PM
By Carol Waggoner in Products and Tips
05-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Tags for this Thread