This recipe is on Consultant's Corner. I tried it, and we like it!
Cheesy Shells & Italian Sausage
8 oz (250 g) bulk hot Italian pork sausage (see Cook’s Tip)
3 garlic cloves
3 cups (750 mL) unsalted chicken stock
1 jar (24 oz/680 mL) marinara sauce (2½ cups/625 mL)
12 oz (350 g) medium shell pasta
4 oz (125 g) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
¼ cup (50 mL) fresh basil leaves
1 cup (250 mL) seasoned croutons
2 oz (60 g) fresh Parmesan cheese (½ cup/125 mL grated)
1. Preheat broiler. Cook sausage in Rockcrok™ (2.5-qt/2.35-L) Everyday Pan or
Rockcrok™ (4-qt/3.8-L) Dutch Oven over medium heat 4-6 minutes, breaking into
crumbles with Mix ‘N Chop.
2. Press garlic with Garlic Press into Pan. Cook 30-60 seconds or just until fragrant.
3. Stir in stock, marinara and pasta to Pan. Increase heat to high; cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, 7-9 minutes or until pasta is
cooked but firm.
4. Meanwhile, chop basil with Chef’s Knife. Process croutons in Manual Food Processor
until finely chopped; place in Classic Batter Bowl. Grate Parmesan with Microplane®
Adjustable Fine Grater over batter bowl. Mix crouton/Parmesan mixture well.
5. Remove Pan from heat. Stir in cream cheese and basil until blended. Sprinkle cheese
mixture evenly over pasta. Place Pan 2-4 in. (5-10 cm) from heating element. Broil 1-2
minutes or until top is golden brown.
U.S. Nutrients per serving: Calories 370, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 30 mg,
Sodium 830 mg, Carbohydrate 43 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 18 g
Cook’s Tip: 8 oz (250 g) Italian turkey sausage (2 links, casings removed) or 8 oz (250 g) 90%
lean ground beef can be substituted for the bulk Italian pork sausage, if you’d like.