Red, White & Green Lasagna Tip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I made this for our cluster meeting last night as well as another for my young kids and wife at home. Because there were some varieties at the store, I got some great experience to share.

1) Polenta is in the dairy case next to hot dogs and sauerkraut (at least at my Kroger store)

2) There are different flavors of polenta... The Garlic/Basil was MUCH better than just the plain.

3) Hot Italian sausage was MUCH MUCH better than just Mild Italian Sausage, and I didn't try Sweet Italian Sausage. There was no turkey sausage at my store - apparently there is at Safeway.

The version I made for the cluster meeting was garlic/basil polenta and hot Italian sausage; it had lots of flavor and everyone raved about it. The version I made at home [plain polenta, mild Italian sausage]was WAY too bland - was kind of like a ratatoulie or such, not nice.

I'm attaching the recipe, though it is under Theme Show Reicpes in Ccorner.
    Attached Files Attached Files

kam
    Thank you for the tips! I have never bought Polenta, so I would have probably just used the plain, but glad you said someting about the flavors.

I will use a Garlic/Basil flavor for the Polenta as you suggest, but I will probably stick to the sweet Italian Sausage at first.

This looks good - but won't be making this one at home - son has a corn allergy.

I am making it for my sister in law tomorrow afternoon... I will make it with the turkey sausage for her and give feedback on that way!

What is polenta exactly?

Quote Quote by wadesgirl View Post
    What is polenta exactly?
    Cornmeal mush in a tube - you can slice it and fry it or bake it.

Quote Quote by ChefBeckyD View Post
    Cornmeal mush in a tube - you can slice it and fry it or bake it.
    Interesting... I would like to try this recipe, just not sure what DH will think!

Polenta is kind of Italian grits - which I guess could be "cornmeal mush". It also comes dry to prepare, in the bread aisle and I think I've seen it in the prepared foods aisle too.

Of course do what you are comfortable with, but I encourage you to use the HOT Italian sausage for several reasons -
    1.the recipe calls for it
    2. the "heat" is calmed down a LOT by the cheese and cream cheese
    3. the Mild version just tasted bad - needed salt & pepper for even "ok" flavor profile
    4. the 10 adults absolutely RAVED at our cluster meeting, and not just to be PC crazy, but because it was really good. Several had seconds and I had only a small amount to give my wife to taste at home. She said it was better than the other one they had eaten, and that she was surprised how it wasn't "HOT" flavored.

Polenta is shelf stable too and can be purchased in the aisles too. Not sure which aisle, though. We have a great international market by us that has an "Italian" aisle, so that's where I'll find it! LOL!

I was checking out the recipe and I'm not a fan of marinara sauce, do you think I could just use plain or lightly flavored spaghetti sauce?

Quote Quote by wadesgirl View Post
    I was checking out the recipe and I'm not a fan of marinara sauce, do you think I could just use plain or lightly flavored spaghetti sauce?
    Yes. Use whatever you think your tastebuds would like!

Quote Quote by scottcooks View Post
    Polenta is kind of Italian grits - which I guess could be "cornmeal mush". .
    The one I was looking at in the refrigerator section said (cormeal mush) in parentheses. That's what I was going by.

Usually you can find the unrefrigerated polenta in the dry pasta aisle.

Trader Joes has organic polenta in the aisle where the pasta is found. It is wonderful....I plan on adding extra garlic and basil to the recipe as it is plain polenta.

CK

Thanks for your input. I want to make this tomorrow for dinner, just to try it out! I have a host that has the DCB, and wants to host a show in August, and try another recipe... think this could be IT! Thanks for your input, if I had not read it hear from you, I may not venture out with it!!! :-)

I have a host that wants to do an Italian themed show and really wants the DCB so I thought this is perfect. Is it strange to do this at a show when the cookbook it comes in is not available yet??

Quote Quote by Mommy2amo View Post
    I have a host that wants to do an Italian themed show and really wants the DCB so I thought this is perfect. Is it strange to do this at a show when the cookbook it comes in is not available yet??
    Not at all. Tell them you're giving them a preview of what's to come in the fall season. Put the recipe up on your website so they can get it if they want it.

I've made polenta a couple of times. Mine doesn't come out as congealed as the stuff in the tube, but is a nice alternative to rice or pasta. I usually serve chicken with some sort of sauce over it.

I'm a polenta lover here. I make it fresh, cool it, cut it up in squares and then fry it in olive oil, galic and just before it's done, add grape tomatoes just a minute to warm them. Serve with fresh basil and fresh grated parm. YUM.

I make a dish with sausage and polenta, sort of similar to the recipe.

I also make a cake with figs with polenta. I'm Italian, so it was a regular dish in my house. I have quite a few recipes for polenta.

Rose, you made me smile. While reading your post, I pictured my (deceased) mother-in-law (italian, of course) in the kitchen with her apron on, who taught me how to cook. She was awesome. Thank you for that wonderful picture first thing this morning.
    I would LOVE to have that fig and polenta cake recipe! My e-mail is olsongaruti@yahoo.com. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. DCB lasagna
    By ChefMary412 in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 3
    03-26-2010, 06:55 PM
  2. DCB Lasagna
    By pampchef.angel in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 9
    11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
  3. Skillet Lasagna
    By kam in Recipes and Tips