Parmesan Cheese: 3/4 cup or 3 oz?

JAE
    If a recipe calls for 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, and in parenthesis it says (3 oz) does that mean when I weigh the cheese it should weigh 3 oz even if it's way more than 3/4 cup?

Yes. Typically 3 oz. of shredded cheese will be about 3/4 cup. If yours is way off, use the smaller amount if you like things less cheesy and use the larger amount if you like it really cheesy.

JAE
    Thanks Ann
    I was going to just PM you, but it was quicker to post a new thread this time. The amount looks like almost 2 cups! I shredded it with the MAG. I weighed it on the old scale from PC first.

That's why. The super-fine shreds take up more room. It's the same amount of cheese, but it'll melt easier.

I always say lean towards the side of MORE CHEESE myself!

I'm with you Kelly

JAE
    Everyone loved the pizza dip with the bread wreath. Ann, thanks for the cheese help, and thanks for the recipe.

You're welcome.

And, actually, I realized in the middle of the night that you should go by weight, because that's more accurate. (Learned that from Good Eats.) If the size of your shred throws off the volume measurement, the weight will still be the same. I don't know where my head was yesterday.

Ann... Your head is ALWAYS right in the game! You're the best!

Aw, shucks, Diane. Thanks.

When measuring it's always better to go with weight. Volume is affected my how much air is introduced when shredding, whipping, scooping, etc. It's especially important when measuring flour.

JAE
    I forgot to say that I only used about half of the 3 oz, and then I left out about 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. It was fine. It seemed like way too much.

Quote Quote by JAE
    I forgot to say that I only used about half of the 3 oz, and then I left out about 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. It was fine. It seemed like way too much.
    Somehow with cheese I never seem to say Cheese and too much in the same sentence!!!!!!!!

Quote Quote by quiverfull7
    Ann... Your head is ALWAYS right in the game! You're the best!
    I'm with you! Ann is always the one of the very first people I think of when I have a question that is stumping me and if by some odd chance she gets stumped, then I'm really screwed!!!!!

And back to the original reason for the thread, it is always by weight. The same thing goes with our original cookie press recipe, go by weight not volume and I'm with everyone else who says you can never have too much cheese!!!! Especially Parmesan, dang I LOVE this cheese. Especially with whole roasted garlic, hot french bread, our garlic oil or Olive oil, and a little bit of our Italian seasoning! Oh and a nice glass of wine!!!!!! I could eat it for dinner and nothing else!!!!!!!!!! My hubby feels the same way! I had a few oil dipping shows back when we first came out with the set and they were good, my problem was that I could barely focus on the show, because I was drooling over what was being eaten!!!
    In fact I think I will do this, this coming weekend because I bought a big bag of garlic at Thanksgiving and then my shows slowed down and I don't want the garlic to go bad, (heaven forbid! )
    And I won't forget the wine either!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Parmesan Garlic Bites
    By DeeDee616 in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 12
    03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
  2. Chicken parmesan
    By ahammons in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 10
    12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    09-09-2007, 07:37 PM