Like Tree34Likes

New Season's Best Recipes: Critiques

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Quote by pattybrady View Post
    Made The Big Enchilada last night for dinner, had leftovers for lunch today. Absolutely delicious, and would be a great show recipe! Only thing I did differently was substitute a can of black beans for the can of corn--corn in an enchilada sounded gross to me.
    I took your advice last night and made it with the black beans. AMAZING. I really loved it.

Might be a bit too spicy for a show though - many people are sensitive to spices.

I've done the orange blossom cakes, the no-knead bread, and the carbonara. The cakes were amazing! I will add way more seasoning to the bread next time I make it because you can't really taste it in the finished product. I used the garlic and herb rub. Also, it only took about 3 hours to rise, but it has been pretty humid here, so keep an eye on it. I wasn't a huge fan of the carbonara, I think it was a little soupy and I actually used less of the stock than called for in the recipe. My husband liked it though, because it's healthier than my regular carbonara. All in all, I'm liking these recipes and I love that they have color pictures with them now!!!
    ChefGwendolyn likes this.

I made The Big Enchilada. My tortillas didn't quite meet in the middle, either. It got browned pretty quickly (I left out the egg). I wish I had substituted beans for corn....it seemed like a LOT of corn. I found mine to be kind of tough on the bottom. I wonder if putting some sauce on the bottom, rather than the oil, might have helped. I also wonder if it would be hard to cut it into small enough pieces for a show.

I also tried the Bacon and Artichoke Squares. My husband liked them a lot. I found them to be kind of bland (maybe because I don't love Swiss cheese).

Quote Quote by Teresa Lynn
    lava cake was good
    we had the chicken parm soup did not liek it at all ended up eating something else and throwing it away and I followed the recipe exactly (with that said though in 18+ years of selling there are only about 5 PC recipes we like & we are not picky)

Quote Quote by BethCooks4U View Post
    You only like 5 recipes in 18 years? WOW. There are plenty we don't like (mostly because of ingredients like mushrooms or coconut...) but have loved so many more of them.

Thanks for both the good & bad reviews. Not sure if this is true for Teresa Lynn, but there are just SO many recipes that use prepared foods, and while the end result is tasty, I do not like the recipes overall because of that reason. It seemed like every SB had recipes using croissant tube dough & Cool Whip for many, many years.

I made the Fajita Chicken Bites for my sister's party tonight and they were fantastic! You can show off the DCB by baking the chicken and I used the large bar pan instead of the round stone with handles. It makes a great show recipe and would do great for a hands-on demo.
    chefliz likes this.

Quote Quote by ShellBeach View Post
    Thanks for both the good & bad reviews. Not sure if this is true for Teresa Lynn, but there are just SO many recipes that use prepared foods, and while the end result is tasty, I do not like the recipes overall because of that reason. It seemed like every SB had recipes using croissant tube dough & Cool Whip for many, many years.
    My husband and I were just discussing this last night. He commented on PC recipes being like "almost home-made" using packaged ingredients as a base. That was so true in the past but I have noticed that for the last few years the recipes more and more are scratch, fresh ingredients - fajitas, burrito bake, ribs, pork tenderloin, chicken in DCB or Beer Can Roaster, the new orange blossom cakes, scratch made rocky road brownies, so many more... I haven't made anything with crescent rolls in forever. Yes, cool whip and cream cheese are still big but all in all we have a ton of healthy, fresh ingredient recipes to offer.

Funny thing though, my younger consultants changed the rocky road brownie recipe to using a box mix instead of doing it from scratch. They said their friends want easy as possible. I argued that the scratch recipe couldn't be easier. They said not everyone has the separate ingredients (flour, etc) but they all have brownie mix at home. Go figure. Personally, I think it's a plus to do it from scratch so we can show how easy and quick it is. Many young cooks think it takes longer and is harder but once they see it they are amazed. I have had hosts promote it as "scratch brownies in 10 minutes" and got people there just to see that.

kam
    Quote Quote by BethCooks4U View Post
    My husband and I were just discussing this last night. He commented on PC recipes being like "almost home-made" using packaged ingredients as a base. That was so true in the past but I have noticed that for the last few years the recipes more and more are scratch, fresh ingredients - fajitas, burrito bake, ribs, pork tenderloin, chicken in DCB or Beer Can Roaster, the new orange blossom cakes, scratch made rocky road brownies, so many more... I haven't made anything with crescent rolls in forever. Yes, cool whip and cream cheese are still big but all in all we have a ton of healthy, fresh ingredient recipes to offer.

Funny thing though, my younger consultants changed the rocky road brownie recipe to using a box mix instead of doing it from scratch. They said their friends want easy as possible. I argued that the scratch recipe couldn't be easier. They said not everyone has the separate ingredients (flour, etc) but they all have brownie mix at home. Go figure. Personally, I think it's a plus to do it from scratch so we can show how easy and quick it is. Many young cooks think it takes longer and is harder but once they see it they are amazed. I have had hosts promote it as "scratch brownies in 10 minutes" and got people there just to see that.
    I agree about many not having the separate ingredients! I have always had flour and sugar etc so was absolutely shocked when I had a host with a measuring cup of the exact amount of flour needed for our recipe sitting on the counter. She told me she had borrowed some from a neighbor. She bought all the other things for the recipe but had no need to have the left over flour! I don't think she had sugar either.

So now I never assume a host will have what I consider stock items!
    Last edited by kam; 08-12-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
    chefliz likes this.

Quote Quote by kam View Post
    I agree about many not having the separate ingredients! I have always had flour and sugar etc so was absolutely shocked when I had a host with a measuring cup of the exact amount of flour needed for our recipe sitting on the counter. She told me she had birrowed some from a neighbor. She bought all the other things for the recipe but had no need to have the left over flour! I don't think she had sugar either.

So now I never assume a host will have what I consider stock items!
    I have had lots of hosts have a small new bag of floour or sugar on the counter when I arrive. I always thought it was because they wanted to be sure that the ingredients were fresh or maybe they didn't want me to see their containers they keep the ingredients in for some reason. I guess I need to start asking if they keep it in the house. I already do ask if they have baking powder in the house when a recipe calls for that...

And BTW I had a host provide a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the unsweetened squares for that rocky road recipe. Worked just fine so I now tell hosts what the recipe calls for but that can make that substitution if they prefer.

Quote Quote by Daron View Post
    Any suggestions for making the fajita bites vegetarian, what would you replace the chicken with?
    How about portabello mushrooms?
    chefliz likes this.

I made three recipes from the SB. Two I didn't like. I made the Greek spinach artichoke cups (didn't like), the cheesy bruschetta dip (didn't like), and the orange cakes (liked).

Any suggestions for making the fajita bites vegetarian, what would you replace the chicken with?
    Black Beans?

Quote Quote by pattybrady View Post
    Black Beans?
    Black beans, great idea, that would be good!

Just made the Savory Parmesan Thumbprints. I don't love Parmesan cheese, but they were okay--I think normal people (LOL) will love them.

Maybe quinoa?
    KristinB1023 and Chozengirl like this.

So far this week I have made the Pasta Carbonara, Chicken Parm Soup, and Chicken Fajita Bites. The Soup was AMAZING!!!! The Chicken Fajita Bites were AMAZING!! The Carbonara I didn't care for .... I didn't take the advice of dme.grant when she said it came out "soupy". I ended up straining it and trying to thicken up the sauce in the microwave, and the pasta got overcooked as a result ... just a mess. It happens though, sometimes, when I make something for the first time. I will take another stab at it, but I didn't like the really smoky flavor from the turkey bacon. My "guinea pigs" (family members) ate it all up, but I wasn't happy with it.

Aside from that complaining, did I mention how GOOD the other two were??

As far as the carbonara goes, my experience with these types of recipes where you cook the liquid into the pasta, is that if you cook it too fast, you end up with a lot of liquid. Try cooking it at a lower temperature and see what happens. When I made it, had just the right amount of moisture at the end (creamy but not dry)... HTH!

And I absolutely LOVED the carbonara, althought I would make it with real bacon next time (just don't care for turkey bacon, although it was better than I thought it would be). I think served with chicken or steak bites, it's a meal, and a great one at that!

I can't get over how the chick parm soup LOOKS, and haven't been able to try it (was at our meeting even, and couldn't eat it)... and I'm NOT pregnant lol!

LOVED the fajita bites, but would cook them a little bit longer (might have been person preparing)...
    ChefGwendolyn likes this.

My Season's Best is at home and I'm at work so I pulled the recipe for the Chicken Fajita Bites off of consultant's corner. The instructions mention mayonnaise but its not listed in the ingredient list... Help!

Quote Quote by aikenamy View Post
    My Season's Best is at home and I'm at work so I pulled the recipe for the Chicken Fajita Bites off of consultant's corner. The instructions mention mayonnaise but its not listed in the ingredient list... Help!
    I noticed that too.. but if you look at the "shopping list" below the recipe it comes up with 1/3 cup mayo.

Shopping List
    4 medium bell peppers, any color
    3 green onions
    1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
    4 oz (125 g) part-skim mozzarella cheese
    2 cups (500 mL) finely diced cooked chicken breast
    1/3 cup (75 mL) fat-free mayonnaise
    2 tbsp (30 mL) Chili Lime Rub
    1/2 cup (125 mL) fat-free sour cream

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. What recipes are you offering this season?
    By jessinthekitchen in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 4
    03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
  2. Show Intro - critiques please
    By NooraK in Recruiting Discussion
    Replies: 9
    08-13-2009, 02:43 PM
  3. Need Critiques on this invite--Fall Kick-Off!
    By chelynn in Flyers & Letters
    Replies: 7
    09-27-2007, 12:13 AM
  4. New Season's Best recipes
    By adventurechef in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 31
    03-27-2006, 08:09 PM
  5. New Season's Best Recipes
    By pamperdawn in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 0
    01-18-2006, 11:54 AM