Need topping idea for pound cake

kam
    HELP!
    To make a long story short - I am trying to come up with Christmas dinner of some sort for my parents and DH. My mom has Chrone's, is lactose-intolerant and has acid reflux. This has been a joy trying to come up with a menu.

Anyway, I have come up with a basic appetizer/dinner scenario - but I need help with DESSERT!

She can only have white or dark chocolate (and DH hates dark chocolate) - so that only leaves white chocolate.
    No cream cheese, butter, milk (any dairy) or nuts.

My mom said she could have a pound cake (which I will buy from the grocery bakery). And I have no idea why she can eat a pound cake as I assume it is loaded with butter - but, oh well.

So, if I buy a pound cake...what can I top it with??? No chococlate or nuts.
    And strawberries are out - since DH hates them.

Does anyone have any ideas?? The only thing I can think of is to do the pudding layer from the Red/White/Blueberry trifle. It is using a pudding mix with yogurt and adding Cool whip. But that sounds kind of bland.

ANY IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED!!!

How about sorbet or dairy-free "ice cream" like Tofutti?

Canned Cherry Pie filling?

i'd do the pudding layer mixed w/ crushed pineapple, it's something i do w/ angel food cake and is super yummy

kam
    Excellent ideas!
    Not too sure about the sorbet - but had forgotten that could be a good lactose-free alternative! Maybe I'll pick some up just to have.

I had thought about a pineapple/cool whip type mixture - but DH doesn't like pineapple. (I know...I know)

But, the pie filling idea is a good idea. I hadn't even gone done that path. Maybe heat it up, add rum or amaretto or something....

And now that the pie filling idea was in my head, I went to comstock's site and looked at recipes and here are some that I found...

Apple Rum Topping
    1 can (21 oz.) ComstockŪ or WildernessŪ More Fruit Apple Fruit Filling or Topping
    1/4 cup lite rum
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    Mix well and put into microwave to warm. Put on top of beligian waffle and top with whipped cream.

Bourbon Apples
    1 can (21 oz.) ComstockŪ or WildernessŪ More Fruit Apple Fruit Filling or Topping
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/3 cup bourbon
    1. Stir together all ingredients in one quart casserole. Bake covered in a preheated 350 oven for 45 to 60 minutes.

I think both of those would be good over pound cake. And they also had a recipe for lemon souffle and cherry dumplings - both of which would work ingredient-wise!!!

THANKS!!!

If it were me, I'd make something that my mom could have and something that my husband would like... there's never too much dessert in my world! And it is Christmas! The time of giving!

deleted by me
    Last edited by EpTxGuy; 12-23-2009 at 03:55 PM.

kam
    Quote Quote by ChefPaulaB View Post
    If it were me, I'd make something that my mom could have and something that my husband would like... there's never too much dessert in my world! And it is Christmas! The time of giving!
    It has been really difficult to find something that are OK for both. I was probably a little mean to DH - my mom's issues are dietary, his are not. I told him I would make whatever he wanted on Christmas Eve and on Saturday. Christmas is only 1 day and since he was an adult , he could deal with it. You don't know what I went through to come up with the meal - it was unbelieveable.

The clincher is that by trying to come up with something that works for everyone, it turns out that probably no one willl be happy.

Yes, I need to be in a Christmas spirit - but I am definitely bah-humbug right now. I have been sick for 1-1/2 weeks so it has been hard to get in the Christmas spirit.

AND - I went to the store tonight to get the items for everything - and they didn't have atleast 5 things I needed! So I will be making the rounds tomorrow!

But, yes- thanks for reminding me that it is the time of giving!

Merry Christmas!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Suggested topping for Cherry Chocolate Cake recipe
    By fun2cook2 in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 6
    02-15-2009, 08:56 AM
  2. Pound-for-Pound Challenge on "The Biggest Loser"
    By esavvymom in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 8
    01-21-2009, 05:39 AM
  3. Sweet Potato Pound Cake
    By brittanymcginnis in Recipes and Tips