Pampered Chef Thread: how to tell if eggs are bad???

Default how to tell if eggs are bad???

I know there's a way to tell this by puting the egg in a glass of water. If it's good, it sinks, right? Or does it float??? I have a bunch of eggs past their date, but I know that doesn't mean they are bad, necessarily. Anyone know???

My smart-aleck answer would be crack n' sniff.
    Janet
    Indep. Consultant #511321
    pchef4u@chefsuccess.com
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

If they cluck and have wings... (sorry, I just couldn't resist!)
    ~Kacey~

"I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]" Philippians 4:13

Everything will be okay in the end. If everything is not okay, it is not the end.

Stayin' Alive like a BeeGee's jive, cause I'm a 5!

ANSWER:

Egg shells may seem pretty solid, but they are in fact slightly porous. Old eggs float in fresh cold water because of a large air cell that forms as the egg cools after being laid. As the egg ages, air enters the egg and the air cell becomes larger and this acts as a buoyancy aid.

Generally, fresh eggs will lie on the bottom of the bowl of water. Eggs that tilt so that the large end is up are older, and eggs that float are rotten. The tilting is caused by air pockets in the eggs that increase in size over time as fluid evaporates through the porous shell and oxygen and gases filter in. The older an egg gets the more gas builds up inside it. More gas = more floating!

Carefully lower your eggs into fresh cold water (do not use salted water) using a spoon:

If the egg stay at the bottom - it is fresh.

If the egg is at an angle on the bottom - it is still fresh and good to eat.

If the egg stands on its pointed end at the bottom - it is still safe to eat but best used for baking and making hard-cooked eggs.

If the egg float - they're stale and best discarded.

The final test: To make sure the egg is not spoiled, break it into a clean bowl and check to make sure it doesn't have a bad odor or appearance.
    Janet
    pchef4u@chefsuccess.com
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

Wow! Thanks!

Anyone else???

Thanks, Janet.

I was posting at the same time you were, I guess!

Really, thanks, Janet! Did you just type that into a search somewhere? I guess I probably could have done that too. Duh! I swear, sometimes my brain really doesn't work!

We always test our eggs to see if they float before we use them. We have chickens and sometimes the newer eggs don't get put at the bottom of the pile. This is just a safety issue for me I hate the smell of bad eggs.
    Lisa Gordon

"You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through." ~Rosalynn Carter

"Only those who risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go". T.S. Eliot

Quote Quote by janezapchef View Post
    Really, thanks, Janet! Did you just type that into a search somewhere? I guess I probably could have done that too. Duh! I swear, sometimes my brain really doesn't work!
    Yeah, Google is my best friend (well besides my husband of course).

It is from:

Questions and Answers - Why do some eggs float? How To Tell A Bad Egg, Fresh Eggs vs. Old Eggs
    Janet
    pchef4u@chefsuccess.com

I don't keep eggs for a long time. I just wouldn't want to take the risk with my family. If they're past the expiration date, I throw them out, it's just not worth the risk.

Wow, thanks so much for the info and the link.
    I went to the website and there is so much information on eggs, it is great!!

Janet and Kacey, you guys are too much...

Any time I use eggs, I always crack each one in a small bowl before adding it to the rest of the recipe. That way if you get a bad one you haven't ruined your whole recipe.

Quote Quote by sk8rgrrl99 View Post
    Any time I use eggs, I always crack each one in a small bowl before adding it to the rest of the recipe. That way if you get a bad one you haven't ruined your whole recipe.
    I was always taught that too...prep bowls work great for that!
    Janet
    pchef4u@chefsuccess.com

Quote Quote by sk8rgrrl99 View Post
    very smart idea!! I need to start doing this!!
    Lisa W.
    Sr. Consultant

...Failure to decide is to decide on Failure
    ~Beth Moore

And, for me, the sloppy cook, if you get an eggshell in it, it's much easier to see and fish out in the prep bowl than in the big recipe.

Quote Quote by chefsteph07 View Post
    Janet and Kacey, you guys are too much...
    Thanks, Steph- but I thought we were eggcellent! Baaahaahaa!
    ~Kacey~

"I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]" Philippians 4:13

Everything will be okay in the end. If everything is not okay, it is not the end.

Stayin' Alive like a BeeGee's jive, cause I'm a 5!

Register to reply

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Baked Eggs Benedict
    By PChefAbey in forum Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 11:26 PM
  2. Raw eggs in egg nog?
    By LibrarianChef in forum Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
  3. Easter Eggs - What to do with blown-out eggs
    By jenniferknapp in forum Chef's Lounge