How long can butter sit out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I used to know a family that NEVER refrigerated their butter ~ it was always that wonderful spreadable texture. I want to make cookies later on... think I can leave it out half the day? Just need reassurance. lol.

When I was a kid my mom left the butter on the counter all the time. She doesn't do it anymore though.

Quote Quote by its_me_susan
    I used to know a family that NEVER refrigerated their butter ~ it was always that wonderful spreadable texture. I want to make cookies later on... think I can leave it out half the day? Just need reassurance. lol.

Years ago my mom would say it would get rancid. But I think that depends on the length & the temperature. I'm sure half a day at normal temperature will be fine. I do it often. Now if only I could bake cookies!!

If you want room temp butter, you can always get a butterbell....

However, I had butter sitting out on my counter all day on Friday (it's when we celebrated Thanksgiving b/c my DH is a firefighter and was on shift T-Day). I left it sitting it out, b/c I knew that if I needed it, I would need it room temp and not need to or want to or have time to wait for it to soften.

And the butter was perfect for the evening meal when people wanted to spread it on their dinner rolls. That's just my two cents.

And I always let my ingredients sit out when baking so that everything is room temp.

As a kid, my mom ALWAYS left the butter out as well. Always the real stick butter too.

Salted butter is ok to leave out at room temperature. Unsalted butter should always be refrigerated.

Have a great Sunday!

Quote Quote by jsfergs
    Salted butter is ok to leave out at room temperature. Unsalted butter should always be refrigerated.

Have a great Sunday!
    Interesting...........If your a big Food TV fan you'll notice that all bakers and chefs use unsalted butter, and yes they bake with their butter at room temp.
    As someone in the food industry I would say if you are not using a butter bell please put your butter back in the fridge after 2-3 hours. Butter can be left out but not for long periods of time. (just my two cents)

I've seen this term a lot on Chef Success recently, and I still haven't figured out what it is. Could someone please share, please?

Thanks!

www.butterbell.com

Is a link to one... I wish that PC wold come out with one.

Wow--I have never seen these before. They are pretty neat!

Very cool information! I liked the little Food Network video too. I did see several people mention this would be an awesome PC product and now I agree!

I grew up on butter on a butter dish in the cupboard and still store my butter this way. I always keep a stick on a dish in the cupboard and have never had any problems. We use a stick of butter every 3-5 days, then a new stick comes of of the frig and into the cupboard.

Quote Quote by Sk8Mom209
    I grew up on butter on a butter dish in the cupboard and still store my butter this way. I always keep a stick on a dish in the cupboard and have never had any problems. We use a stick of butter every 3-5 days, then a new stick comes of of the frig and into the cupboard.
    I do the same. Never tasted or smelled rancid.

Mom never keep butter in the refridgerator she always had it in a dish.

sarahmarie
    We keep ours on the counter. I have never had a problem. If i am baking i will either have my butter sit out all day or over night. If not, i stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes on power level 1. Just make sure to check it!

That butterbell is just too cool!! I want one now! TPC definitely needs to come out with one of those!!

oh yes PC must get those. I know they'd sell, I'd buy 1 of each and Im cheap lol

Pampered Laura
    If PC came out with one... could you imagine the look on the faces of those "certain" customers we have ....."you mean you don't put your butter in the fridge OR wash your stones with soap?????!?!?!!"

Quote Quote by Pampered Laura
    If PC came out with one... could you imagine the look on the faces of those "certain" customers we have ....."you mean you don't put your butter in the fridge OR wash your stones with soap?????!?!?!!"
    PC is cutting edge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Butter knife
    By amy07 in Products and Tips
    Replies: 6
    02-04-2008, 10:40 AM
  2. Butter Nut Squash?
    By Chef Stacy Edwards in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 5
    11-18-2007, 11:17 AM
  3. Butter brush?
    By Chef_2_Four in Marketplace
    Replies: 3
    04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
  4. Pumpkin Butter
    By AJPratt in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 6
    09-11-2006, 12:34 PM
  5. Do you cut butter from the top or side?
    By AJPratt in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 10
    06-23-2006, 09:29 PM