Pampered Chef Thread: HELP!!! M&Ms substitute!

PA - Outside of Scranton (Home of "The Office")

Default HELP!!! M&Ms substitute!

Ok I'm a huge dorkface. I procrastinated (shocking!) and just got 10 batter bowls in to make the batter bowl recipe gifts that people ordered. The issue is I have to take 6 of them tomorrow with me to Happy Valley (GO PENN STATE) for a friend who ordered them filled with the Brownie & Celebration Cookie recipes.

My dilemma that's causing chest pains... *deep breath*

I did not realize that Mars North America stopped selling M&Ms mini baking chips which is what the brownie recipe calls for (1 cup worth!) I searched every store I could find only to come home tonite to Google it to find they no longer sell them. EEEK! During my cardiac arrest at the last grocery store (of too many to list) I bought the mini Hershey Kisses.

Any ideas if these will work? They won't give any color but I don'tknow what else to do. I even asked the stores about the mini Reeses Pieces they used to sell for baking and they said they were clearanced out.

Please give any and all suggestions!!!! I have the Celebration Cookie ones done but NOOOOOOO clue what to do for the brownie ones.

Sidenote: I told all my customers that I would put holiday fabric over the lid and tie with ribbon...little did I realize that the new lids are POS's (IMO) compared to the old ones (like I had used as a demo) and the lids don't stay on the darn bowls. The old ones you couldn't get off without a pry bar...now you could flick these off with a feather. Grrrr...This is the big guys punishment for me procrasting....

Can anyone bail me out before I stroke in the middle of the kitchen floor?
    (Oh yes I realize it is 9pm the night before...thats why I love 24hr stores) LOL
    ~Melissa

"For most people, it's not what they are that holds them back, it's what they think they are not." -John C. Maxwell

I think you should go to the store and buy the tubes of the little M&M's. My kids get these all the time and I think they would work. Hopefully, you can find them at any store or convience store. Good luck!

Think they will bake well and not melt? I assumed that the choc was diff so that the candy coating didn't melt all over and dissolve.
    ~Melissa

"For most people, it's not what they are that holds them back, it's what they think they are not." -John C. Maxwell

That's strange...there was a whole display of M&M baking chips with the other baking chips in the grocery store today. Weird.
    Becky D.
    Director!

Quote Quote by Melissa78 View Post
    Think they will bake well and not melt? I assumed that the choc was diff so that the candy coating didn't melt all over and dissolve.
    Before there were the baking chips - people made M&M cookies all the time, so I think they would still work.
    Becky D.
    Director!

The color may smudge a bit from the baking, but they should still hold there shape.

These are what was in the baking aisle

M&M's Milk Chocolate Minis Candy, 12-Ounce Packages (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I'm wondering if it's the same thing, only packaged/marketed differently. Like Excedrin. They have all these "different" kinds, but when you read the active ingredients list, they are exactly the same.
    Becky D.
    Director!

Although, buying the small tubes may be a bit costly, I think that using regular m&m's would work just fine unless you are set on using the mini ones. You also might be able to find a larger bag of the mini ones to cut down on the price. Hope this helps!

Just use regular M&M's. I use them all the time in my chocolate chip cookies.

Go PSU!!! I'm 10 miles from the main campus.

Lisa

Quote Quote by ChefBeckyD View Post
    That's strange...there was a whole display of M&M baking chips with the other baking chips in the grocery store today. Weird.
    HUH!?!??!?! Then the web is wrong. My local grocery stores all had them and now none and when I looked them up, I thought it was odd that Amazon didn't have them and then I found that M&M Mars North America stopped them. :I

Thanks for letting me know though! I'll keep looking for them for future use but for now, I'm SOL on them. hehe
    ~Melissa

Quote Quote by Melissa78 View Post
    HUH!?!??!?! Then the web is wrong. My local grocery stores all had them and now none and when I looked them up, I thought it was odd that Amazon didn't have them and then I found that M&M Mars North America stopped them. :I

Thanks for letting me know though! I'll keep looking for them for future use but for now, I'm SOL on them. hehe
    See my post #7.
    Becky D.
    Director!

Becky - Sorry in all my panic I didn't read well enough. Yes I saw your post from Amazon, those are the mini regulars, not baking. But as you said, may be the same thing and just not marketed as for baking. I'm going to hold off on making the last 3 and I'll do it tomorrow or Saturday at her house so I can pick up some M&Ms. Also I can ask her how she wants to decorate/wrap them since my fabric idea isn't working with the new lids.

Lisa - I'm about 2.5hrs from State College, a die hard fan who used to go to every game with season tickets but even my PC commission can't keep up with the cost increases on their tickets. Now I go when friends don't use theirs. My best friend from college lives in Port Matildaand that's where I'm heading tomorrow.
    ~Melissa

When I made the recipe, I used the toll house recipe they have online. It was the chewy brownie one.
    Amy
    Visit my gourmet pet bakery- http://www.etsy.com/shop/FamousPawsBakery?ref=pr_shop

Thanks Amy!!!
    ~Melissa

I used regular M&M's they worked fine, just a little more colourful.

Thanks Sarah. I'm going to use M&Ms too.
    ~Melissa

I didn't realize that Mars stopped selling the baking pieces, especially since I just (as in Friday) printed a receipe of their website that calls for them!!
    Heather
    Pampered Chef helped me quit my full time job!

DIRECTOR 07/01/11!
    ~ To get what we never had, we must do what we have never done! ~

Register to reply

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Nut substitute?
    By pattikake in forum Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 10:46 AM
  2. Substitute for Chipotle Rub?
    By Jan Lewis in forum Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 09:13 PM