The Block/Shredded Cheese Controversy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So basically the only argument for block over shredded is price (sometimes)?

I glady handled my customers return when she first brought it up and without any hesitation, but I just wanted to get more educated on this subject because I don't want to be giving the wrong info at my shows.

I kind of feel really dumb now that their is really not anything that backs up what we've been told. Perhaps we should do more research on the tips that we give our customers.

Facebook:
    Visit
    Twitter:
    Visit
    I am very price-conscious, and I have NEVER been able to justify the explanation that a block costs more than a bag. They are exactly the same. 8 ounces of cheese is 8 ounces of cheese ... and when they are on sale, they are usually lumped together.

I have never been able to shred cheese effectively in the Mandoline anyway.

I prefer to use the mandoline for other items which I have mastered ... like tomatoes, citrus and peppers. When I do shred, I prefer parmesean using the microplane grater.

I always thought that 8 oz shredded was by volume and 8 oz block was by weight - thus the reason you can get more cheese from a block than from a bag.

Quote Quote by niccibyrd
    So basically the only argument for block over shredded is price (sometimes)?
    I believe the biggest argument for block cheese is flavor....my 10-year old absolutely will not eat preshredded, bagged cheese and while I'm not that picky, I do agree that freshly shredded cheese tastes so much better.

I always talk about this when I use the Microplane Grater to grate parmesan at my shows...there is quite a difference between freshly grated cheese and cheese that has been pre-grated.

Quote Quote by AZPampered Chef
    I believe the biggest argument for block cheese is flavor....my 10-year old absolutely will not eat preshredded, bagged cheese and while I'm not that picky, I do agree that freshly shredded cheese tastes so much better.

I always talk about this when I use the Microplane Grater to grate parmesan at my shows...there is quite a difference between freshly grated cheese and cheese that has been pre-grated.
    See, I agree that parmesan is better fresh grated, however, my husband refuses to eat it and actually prefers that out of the can!

BLOCK CHEESE just tastes better, in my opinion. Also when I buy any food I check the ingredients. The simpler the ingredients the better. If it has too many things that I can't pronounce, I try to steer clear.

I prefer the block cheese. I think it has better flavor and melts better, but that is just me.

I have a very close friend who cannot eat the pre-shredded bagged cheese because she is allergic to something in the anti-caking agent. She handles block cheese just fine. She watched her diet very closely and narrowed her migraines down to a few things....MSG, Yellow #something or other, and the powder in pre-shredded cheese. If she eats something with pre-shredded cheese in it, she will inevitably get a migraine....so I don't believe there is nothing different about the anti-caking agent...I still buy pre-shredded cheese because I find it to be cheaper than the block cheese, but if I know that I am bringing something where my friend will be eating, I try to remember to purchase a block and shred it myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Writer's block
    By Tropicalburstqt2 in General business Tips
    Replies: 18
    02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
  2. Ughh....I need to block myself from e-bay!
    By jwpamp in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 107
    01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
  3. Shredded cheese preservative
    By pkd09 in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 17
    10-30-2007, 11:56 PM
  4. New Kid on the Block!
    By cm_gardner in Members Introduction
    Replies: 2
    02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
  5. Shredded Lettuce