Like Tree8Likes

Artisan Bread Show

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Has anyone done the Artisan Bread Show? How did it go? I am currently letting my dough rise to try the recipe but I was wondering how good of a show this is.

kam
    Where is the info on this? Is it on CC?

Facebook:
    Visit
    I got my info from my director. It sounds wonderful, but have not tried it.

I haven't done it as a show yet, but my director demoed it at our cluster meeting and it's very simple and it shows over $400 in products!

Sounds interesting!

Could someone please post details...sounds right up my alley!
    JennyJennJen likes this.

I don't know where it originated. I saw CK post about it, and Linda, and Becky. I hope Linda doesn't mind my sharing this--I copied this from a post of hers on FB:

Oh My word!!! This is SOOOO Good!

Artisan Bread made in the Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
    ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
    1 ½ teaspoon salt
    1 ½ cups tap water

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 ½ cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at room temperature.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat using the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times. Fold the 2 sides of the Pastry Mat over the bread and let it stand on the counter for 2 hours to rise.

3. 1 ½ hours into the 2 hour rising time, preheat oven to 450 degrees and place the empty Covered Baker with lid on in oven for 30 minutes. You want the Covered Baker blazing hot. Dump the dough into the Covered Baker, put the lid on and put back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 8 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. OK, go ahead and eat it. We don’t have the patience to let it cool in our house either.
    By: Linda Haworth Child

Facebook:
    Visit
    Twitter:
    Visit
    My director shared this bread at last night's meeting. My first batch is resting on my table as we speak. I'll bake it tomorrow morning. Yum!

She talked about putting a few spices or rubs out on a cracker tray and a couple of sauces in small bamboo bowls. Put those out with the bread cut into small cubes. It's a very moist bread, so it will pick up the spices easily.

Uhm...I have a concern with the instructions in section #3 to preheat deep covered baker with lid on. One of the use and care tips for stoneware specifically states:
    •Prevent breakage from thermal shock by avoiding extreme temperature changes.
    •Do not preheat stone.
    •At least two-thirds of Stoneware surface should be covered with food to avoid thermal shock. Always evenly distribute food over Stoneware surface; avoid clustering foods.

Wouldn't this contribute to voiding the warranty as the item was not used as instructed

Quote Quote by babywings76 View Post
    I don't know where it originated. I saw CK post about it, and Linda, and Becky. I hope Linda doesn't mind my sharing this--I copied this from a post of hers on FB:

¼ teaspoon instant yeast
    1 ½ teaspoon salt
    1 ½ cups tap water

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 ½ cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at room temperature.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Liberally flour a Pastry Mat using the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times. Fold the 2 sides of the Pastry Mat over the bread and let it stand on the counter for 2 hours to rise.

3. 1 ½ hours into the 2 hour rising time, preheat oven to 450 degrees and place the empty Covered Baker with lid on in oven for 30 minutes. You want the Covered Baker blazing hot. Dump the dough into the Covered Baker, put the lid on and put back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes then take the lid off. Bake for another 8 to 15 minutes until the bread is golden brown on top. Cool on a rack. OK, go ahead and eat it. We don’t have the patience to let it cool in our house either.
    all I can say is...WOW! That's a long show!!!!

Looks yummy! I assume that you do everything but the final baking before hand?
    AJPratt likes this.

Facebook:
    Visit
    Twitter:
    Visit
    Actually, the baking is a long time, too. Bake it before you leave home and cut it once you're at the host's house.

I would also be concerned about voiding the warranty by pre-heating the DCB when the instructions specifically note not to do so. It's not exactly a cheap piece to replace.

kam

¼ teaspoon instant yeast
    1 ½ teaspoon salt
    1 ½ cups tap water

Thanks for posting the recipe!!

I don't mind

Quote Quote by Telynn View Post
    Uhm...I have a concern with the instructions in section #3 to preheat deep covered baker with lid on. One of the use and care tips for stoneware specifically states:
    •Prevent breakage from thermal shock by avoiding extreme temperature changes.
    •Do not preheat stone.
    •At least two-thirds of Stoneware surface should be covered with food to avoid thermal shock. Always evenly distribute food over Stoneware surface; avoid clustering foods.

Wouldn't this contribute to voiding the warranty as the item was not used as instructed
    I was concerned about it too and gritted my teeth as I dumped the dough in the baker. I'm guessing that since the dough is room temperature that it's not that much of a thermal shock to the baker. But, I did email the Test Kitchen to ask their opinion. When I hear back from them I'll let y'all know what they say.

Quote Quote by nikked View Post
    all I can say is...WOW! That's a long show!!!!

Looks yummy! I assume that you do everything but the final baking before hand?
    This is the show outline I was given.

You make up 2 batches THE NIGHT BEFORE - takes about 1 minute each
    Cover and leave on the countertop. SS bowls work great.

Then two hours before the show starts ( before you leave for the show) You take one of the batches and put it on a floured pastry mat and fold it 4 or 5 times.
    Keep it rolled in the pastry mat and place in DCB for transport.

At the Demo: Explain to them you're showing them backwards:
    [ show them step 3 first - putting the dough in the DCB and into the oven. ] Show the batch still left in the bowl - what it looks like. Preheat the oven and put DCB in there at 450 for 15 minutes ( yes I preheat the stone for this). Then take the hot DCB, open up the pastry mat and show them what that risen dough looks like again and dump it in the DCB.
    Bake at 450 for 30 minutes - take the lid off and bake for 5 more to deep golden brown
    Then you show them the step 2 - putting the bowl of dough on the mat and folding it. Then show them step one - mixing the ingredients
    They eat the baking bread right there, the host keeps the dough that's folded and bakes later for her family and you take the 3rd batch that you mixed there home to rise overnight for your family.
    Yummy - super cheap, and you can serve it with our dips or artichoke dip.

The most amazing thing is that you can make a loaf of fabulous bread for 35 cents...instead of $5.85 for a loaf of artisan ciabatta bread at one of our local bakeries.
    My customers are totally amazed and buy the DCB to make it in!

Check about that temp. I tried with 4 different people including a supervisor to replace a stone that was used at 450 degrees and was told that it could not be replaced because the maximum oven temp for stoneware is 400 degrees.

Quote Quote by pampered1224 View Post
    Check about that temp. I tried with 4 different people including a supervisor to replace a stone that was used at 450 degrees and was told that it could not be replaced because the maximum oven temp for stoneware is 400 degrees.
    Actually, according to the Use and Care it's heat safe to 450 so they are wrong.

•Stoneware can be used in conventional, convection and microwave ovens, and is freezer-safe. Stoneware is heat-resistant to 450°F (230°C). Do not use Stoneware under broiler or on direct heat source. Follow oven manufacturer's guidelines.

Why oh why can they never get it right down there! That was a year ago and the lady simply tossed it and would not reorder one. That is the type of error on their part that makes us look bad. The worst part is that it seems to happen more and more often that the Customer Service people all know different things. Poor training.
    Oh and I would think that bread dough should be safe in the hot stone as it is room temp. I do know that putting aluminum foil on a stone can be a problem and sometimes not. A host made a dinner of foil wrapped dinner. A piece of chicken, some veggies and potatoes. Placed them on the stone - not preheated - and put them in the oven. About 10 minutes in she heard a loud pop and the stone had broken in 6 places. One crack under each piece of foil. Weird.

I've made this recipe tons of times in my DCB - my family loves it & so do I. It is the easiest bread I have ever made & delicious as well. I do preheat my stone for 10-15 minutes, take it out, add the flour, add the dough, cover & bake it. It is fabulous! Regarding the customer's stone that broke when she was using foil, ONLY food goes on the stone...putting foil on it will cause it to break just like putting a foil pie plate filled with a pot pie, etc. - these do not go on stoneware, but certainly are safe to put on our metal sheet pans for baking.

Quote Quote by pamperedlinda View Post
    I was concerned about it too and gritted my teeth as I dumped the dough in the baker. I'm guessing that since the dough is room temperature that it's not that much of a thermal shock to the baker. But, I did email the Test Kitchen to ask their opinion. When I hear back from them I'll let y'all know what they say.
    I finally heard back from the Test Kitchen and here is their response:

As for the artisan bread recipe. Yes. We are aware this is going around. You are correct in that it does cause thermal shock. You cannot heat a stone "naked". It can definitely cause breakage. It's a double edged sword because whereas it may sell bakers, it voids the guarantee if used in this way. It's really too bad because as you said, the bread is fantastic. Sorry!
    MaryannNic likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. KitchenAid 5 qt Artisan Mixer on sale at Kohl's!
    By minirottie in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 34
    10-03-2011, 10:36 AM
  2. Mall Artisan Festival
    By iteachncook in Booths, Fairs & Festivals
    Replies: 3
    10-07-2010, 06:46 AM
  3. Urgent Have you done the Chipotle Chili Corn Bread bake at a show?
    By TheFreddiesCook in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 12
    05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
  4. French Bread Bread Bowls?
    By dawnsclassycupboard in Recipes and Tips
    Replies: 3
    01-10-2007, 03:08 PM
  5. Soup and Bread Show
    By jenf in Theme Shows
    Replies: 40
    01-07-2007, 08:55 PM