Bank account compromised

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please keep us in your prayers. We finally got back on our feet and were doing well. Last Saturday the bank called me and ask if I had made some purchases. No. Evidently my debit card number has been used for online purchases (nothing we've ever heard of) The purchases went through on the 29th before my automatic paycheck deposit, so I had a lot of fees. The bank took them off, and were cancelling my card and sending me a new one.

Last night my husband goes through the drive-up bank and we are -$500. Thank goodness we already paid rent. I had over $800 Monday, now I have none! We have to go to the bank when they open today. Trying to stay in good spirits. And no, I don't do online banking for this very reason.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

If you need help, let me know, that's what my 9-5 job is. If your debit card number's been stolen, it probably doesn't have anything to do with online banking. But if they canceled the card, there shouldn't be anything else going through.

Hope they get it fixed for you quickly.

someone from our church just had that happen. I am so sorry I hope you get it resolved quickly

Facebook:
    Visit
    Twitter:
    Visit
    Prayers said for a quick end to the problem.

Oh, Julie! Praying for you!!!

Thank you. Went to the bank today. Nothing to do until Monday when the bank manager is there. They said after filling out paper work, it could take several weeks to get refunded. So for 3 weeks, I have to be creative with food. It's the gas money I'm more concerned about. I'm opening up a new checking account at another bank tomorrow, with my PC checks from my recent show, so I will be able to send that show off. My show this Thursday, I'm going to ask for debit/credit, or check written to the host, so I can get it in before the 15th. Uggh. I hate dealing with stuff.

What about your direct deposit for Monday the 10th? Is that account available for that deposit to be put in ?

Quote Quote by lockhartkitchen View Post
    Thank you. Went to the bank today. Nothing to do until Monday when the bank manager is there. They said after filling out paper work, it could take several weeks to get refunded. So for 3 weeks, I have to be creative with food. It's the gas money I'm more concerned about. I'm opening up a new checking account at another bank tomorrow, with my PC checks from my recent show, so I will be able to send that show off. My show this Thursday, I'm going to ask for debit/credit, or check written to the host, so I can get it in before the 15th. Uggh. I hate dealing with stuff.
    If the fraud was done using your Visa or MasterCard debit card, it should NOT take 3 weeks to get your money refunded. They can give you provisional credit agains the fraudulent charges while they investigate.

I will have better answers Monday.

Pat has had his card number "captured" twice in the last three years. Each time he caught it, the bank immediately closed the account, had him come in and sign a deposition, gave him ALL the money back including fees, issued him a new card, which did take a few weeks to get, and the bank was the one to find out what really happened. It took two days. That was all. And it would have been immediately except the charges were discovered after 6p.m. so he had to wait to go in to the bank. If your bank did not close that account immediately, you are not responsible for any charges you did not make after reporting it.

Did your card get stolen or lost or did they use the numbers for online purchases? That is so scary! I"m sorry you are going through this!

Someone stole our CC number, and we hadn't even lost our cards! The crooks have computer programs that just run numbers trying small online charges to each one and if they happen upon a combination that goes through, then they use it! The part that freaked me out was that the charges were made IN restaurants in our area ($40 at Taco Bell & $25 at Baskin Robbins). They can take the numbers that they find to work, create fake cards, and voila! Your card is stolen! We reported it to our CC company and they refunded some of the charges immediately and placed others on hold. Then we got paper work in the mail that had us authorize the transactions we made in the past few weeks and the ones we didn't authorize didn't go through. They also canceled our cards and sent us new ones right away. I don't know if it works different for an ATM since the money actually leaves the account immediately.

I was told a few years back that I should NEVER use the little ATM machines inside convenience stores. That those are individually owned and your card info (along with the pin #) can be obtained for fraudulent use at those machines if the owner of the machine is a crook.

I was told to always use a bank ATM, where the people with access to the machine & the internal data are bank employees who (more than likely) are trustworthy. Not sure if it's true or not, but it's a method I used for several years before moving to Japan. So far I've been lucky & never had to deal with identity theft or stolen cc info. Not sure if it's coincidence or a proven fact, but I'm not willing to test the theory.

Duh! I forgot to say that I'm sorry you are dealing with this! I've traveled from Okinawa to TX for vacation & I'm a little out of it right now ... super tired!!!

Quote Quote by mrshamel3808 View Post
    Someone stole our CC number, and we hadn't even lost our cards! The crooks have computer programs that just run numbers trying small online charges to each one and if they happen upon a combination that goes through, then they use it! The part that freaked me out was that the charges were made IN restaurants in our area ($40 at Taco Bell & $25 at Baskin Robbins). They can take the numbers that they find to work, create fake cards, and voila! Your card is stolen! We reported it to our CC company and they refunded some of the charges immediately and placed others on hold. Then we got paper work in the mail that had us authorize the transactions we made in the past few weeks and the ones we didn't authorize didn't go through. They also canceled our cards and sent us new ones right away. I don't know if it works different for an ATM since the money actually leaves the account immediately.
    Your situation actually sounds more like skimming. Crooks have little machine with mag-stripe readers that can fit into the palm of your hand, or can be attached to an ATM or something (you'll see a sign saying it's a "card cleaner").

There's some scary stuff out there. In the big picture, something like this is piddly stuff compared to the mess true ID theft can create.

I am sorry this happened. My husband swears this stuff only happens on the weekend, when we can't really do anything about it.

Quote Quote by AJPratt View Post
    I am sorry this happened. My husband swears this stuff only happens on the weekend, when we can't really do anything about it.

I wish... I still have to go to work every day during the week, though.

Quote Quote by NooraK View Post

I wish... I still have to go to work every day during the week, though.
    I bet!

And that's the thing I don't understand with my bank. They can accidentally debit my account money on a Saturday, but I have to wait until Monday to talk to someone who can put it back.

Quote Quote by AJPratt View Post
    I bet!

And that's the thing I don't understand with my bank. They can accidentally debit my account money on a Saturday, but I have to wait until Monday to talk to someone who can put it back.
    I never could understand why the bank has 24/7 service for credit cards, but not for the debit cards and deposit accounts.

I always think it's rotten when they say "you get the same protection as with Visa/MC credit cards" for debit, and then pull the stunt of "you'll have to wait weeks" to get your money back.

I'm sorry this happened to you Julie! You guys just can't seem to get a break! I hope it works out. I certainly would raise heck with the bank manager about not giving you any funds for the weeks! Don't let them pull that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Bank Account for Pampered Chef
    By TinkerLuv in Accounting & Budgeting
    Replies: 9
    12-29-2007, 11:52 AM
  2. Bank account?
    By SilverCeladon in Fundraisers
    Replies: 5
    03-31-2007, 01:41 PM
  3. Oh Crap! I messed up with my bank account!
    By kcjodih in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 24
    03-15-2007, 11:53 AM
  4. Bank account-business or personal?
    By amyry in Accounting & Budgeting
    Replies: 24
    02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
  5. Bank account,debit card questions
    By SusanBP0129 in Accounting & Budgeting
    Replies: 14
    07-12-2006, 04:07 PM