Pampered Chef Thread: How to Keep Strawberries fresh?

Default How to Keep Strawberries fresh?

I just bought 2 pints of strawberries and I was wondering what I can do to keep them fresh longer? Any tips???

A - don't wash them until you are about to use them but other than that I don't know Wish they didn't wither so fast

Don't wash them until you are ready to use them, and store them in a plastic container w/ a paper towel under them to absorb moisture. (they still won't keep for more than a few days!)
    Becky D.
    Director!

thx girls! I just need them to last til tomorrow night...

Strawberry fun fact.... the surface of a strawberry is coated with an average of 200 seeds!

My grandmother swore by the following way to store strawberries. I haven't tried it, so I can't confirm. But... she would wash them and let then dry THOROUGHLY. Then place the berries loosely in a large jar with a screw top. Similar to a mason jar. Put a piece of paper towel on top of the berries. This absorbs extra moisture, so keep an eye on it. After a few days, you may need to replace with a new piece of pt. Seal the jar tightly and refrigerate. Voilá

She always said that they would keep a good week. And you you can also do this without washing them. But the good part of washing them, is that they're ready to eat when you want them

I use this method that I pulled from a website recently.

The best suited strawberries to be frozen are berries that are dark red, firm and fully ripe. Remove stem and caps. Sort, wash and drain the fruit carefully. Do not soak in water, or the strawberry will lose flavor and nutritients. Do not add sugar.

Freeze strawberries individually in a single layer on cookie sheets. After completely frozen (about 24h) place into freezer containers or flexible freezer bags.

Debbie

priscilla
    I rinse mine off, put them in the small colander, rest that in the small bowl, and put in the fridge. They will last about 5 days this way, and be ready to go when I need them.

Robin

I think it's cute how everyone has their own unique method. Personally I think it starts when you shop for them. If I'm going to use them right away, I make sure their nice and ripe. If I need them to keep a little longer, then I'll buy "almost" ripe, but not too green. I always leave them in the original container and never wash them until their ready to use. A container never lasts too long at my house, since the kids love to snack on them - and yes, they're all trained to wash them before eating!

So I used to think I was a pretty good strawberry buyer... until I read this thread! Now I am doubting myself!!!
    Alison Spannaus
    .../gourmetgirl
    The Serve It Up Squad served me with $100 in business supplies... Yay!

Goals:
    3-4 shows per month
    Touch my business regularly

Paige, you will forever be in my thoughts and prayers until you return home!

Find something you love so much that you would do it for free, but you do it so well you get paid for it.
    ~Byron Garrett

When you use the small colander bowl nestled in the small bowl, put a small amount of water in it. Not touching the strawberries!!! Put the lid on and your strawberries should keep for 2 weeks! I have done this. Do the same thing without water and it also keeps your mushrooms for 2 weeks. Don't forget to check them once in a while! One bad one will spoil them all!

I don't wash mine first..
    I have been using my stainless steel bowls w/lid on to store them.. last so much better this way! There is some condensation on the inside and I didn't use a paper towel on the bottom~ so maybe a little bit of moisture is Ok
    Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when dreams come true, there is life and joy. Proverbs 13 13:12

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
    Joshua 24:15
    ¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
    ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
    ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
    ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :

Just read this last night in Cook's Illustrated. It's in the van (and it's raining outside right now) but I'll post when it quits. I think it had something to do with washing them in a vinegar solution.
    Crystal

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Pampered Chef consultant. Now it's on to other adventures!

**Keep God first! He blesses me so much!

**Enjoy life with my family & friends!

I just got that issue of Cook's Illustrated, and this is what it says:

Wash berries in a bowl with 3 cups water mixed with 1 cup white vinegar. Drain in colander and rinse under running water.
    Place berries in salad spinner lined with 3 layers of paper towels. Spin for 15 seconds or until berries are completely dry.
    Store berries in paper towel-lined sealable container, keeping lid slightly open to allow excess moisture to escape.

The berries in their illustrations are blueberries, but I'm going to try it with some strawberries I've got at home and see if it works.

Post Slut level RAINBOW since 10/23/2007

The opinions expressed in this post are those of Ann Szwarc, and do not reflect the opinions of The Pampered Chef® or Chef Success. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Proper attire please. We are trained professionals; do not attempt this at home.

Thanks, Ann for posting that! It quit raining here that afternoon & I totally forgot about this post! So sorry everyone!
    Crystal

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Pampered Chef consultant. Now it's on to other adventures!

**Keep God first! He blesses me so much!

**Enjoy life with my family & friends!

I had forgotten that you had posted that it was there. I saw the mag this morning at Borders and grabbed it. When I saw the tip I though, "I'll have to post that on the thread about berries." Then I got here and saw that you had intro-ed it already.

The opinions expressed in this post are those of Ann Szwarc, and do not reflect the opinions of The Pampered Chef® or Chef Success. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Proper attire please. We are trained professionals; do not attempt this at home.

tpchefrebecca
    Quote Quote by ddcook
    Strawberry fun fact.... the surface of a strawberry is coated with an average of 200 seeds!

My grandmother swore by the following way to store strawberries. I haven't tried it, so I can't confirm. But... she would wash them and let then dry THOROUGHLY. Then place the berries loosely in a large jar with a screw top. Similar to a mason jar. Put a piece of paper towel on top of the berries. This absorbs extra moisture, so keep an eye on it. After a few days, you may need to replace with a new piece of pt. Seal the jar tightly and refrigerate. Voilá

She always said that they would keep a good week. And you you can also do this without washing them. But the good part of washing them, is that they're ready to eat when you want them

I didn't use a jar but I did wash and thouroughly dried them then put them in their original container also washed and dried. No paper. They would last at least a week if we didn't eat them already.

Quote Quote by chefann
    I had forgotten that you had posted that it was there. I saw the mag this morning at Borders and grabbed it. When I saw the tip I though, "I'll have to post that on the thread about berries." Then I got here and saw that you had intro-ed it already.
    ~~THREAD HIJACK~~
    Ann,

I really love your Carmon Miranda pix - BUT - I really do miss the one with your BIG Texas hairdo
    Gina Riley
    Team Leader

Gina, you're so sweet. I keep thinking about how much fun we had in Dallas and that it's so cool that we're in the same wave this time. (Julie K., our "link" nominated my Director for the Hospitality Award. I think it would be so cool if she won it - especially since we're all at the same wave this year.)

Register to reply

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Keeping Strawberries fresh....
    By stefani2 in forum Quick Tips
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 05:05 PM
  2. UM for strawberries?
    By bridgetbakes in forum Products and Tips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 04:34 PM
  3. tuxedo strawberries
    By ldanti in forum Bridal Showers