Pampered Chef Thread: 7-Up or Sprite

Default 7-Up or Sprite

Has anyone tried dipping apples in 7-Up or Sprite to prevent them from turning brown? I tried one of them and it worked great (can't remember if it was the 7-Up or Sprite) My question is does it matter which one you use or will they both work???

I think they're both supposed to work. It's because of the citric acid in the pop.

Post Slut level RAINBOW since 10/23/2007

The opinions expressed in this post are those of Ann Szwarc, and do not reflect the opinions of The Pampered Chef® or Chef Success. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Proper attire please. We are trained professionals; do not attempt this at home.

Thanks Ann!

Any lemon lime soda will work, even the cheapest generic.

... and it keeps the apples tasty (not like salt or the other chemicals in bottles) YUK!!
    Gina Riley
    Team Leader

mmm I keep forgetting that tip. Yeah- I think I've heard both work for sure.

I'm thinking some sprite or 7-up in the kitchen spritzer instead of lemon juice...

Jennifer

*Live Well~Laugh Often~Love Much*

You can also use regular orange juice. I suggested 7-up/Sprite to a host and she said she always mixes the cut fruit with orange juice, drains it and serves both the fruit AND the juice
    Lisa

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning satan shudders and says, "Oh No, It's awake!"

Pineapple juice works, too. I generally choose whichever seems to go best with what I'm using the apples in or on.
    Blessings!
    Rae Bates

"I am not a psychologist. Anything said here that seems the least bit psychological, I probably made it up. Anything that seems psycho is all me."--Anita Renfroe
    I blog at www.mommabates.wordpress.com. It's not fantastic, but I'm having fun.

Works on Bananas as well.....
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle...

Ginger
    DIRECTOR!!!
    Already earned Los Cabos!!!
    Earned Excellence in April!!!

Why does it work?

Because the acid in the juice reacts with the sugars in the fruit and prevents them from oxidizing (turning brown when exposed to air).

This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann.

Post Slut level RAINBOW since 10/23/2007

The opinions expressed in this post are those of Ann Szwarc, and do not reflect the opinions of The Pampered Chef® or Chef Success. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Proper attire please. We are trained professionals; do not attempt this at home.

Great, now you've taken up more space in my very limited memory! Thanks, uh, what was your name again?
    Stripper Star Recipient - June 19, 2007

~Even if the grass is greener on the other side, you still have to mow it!~

We're coming, Paige!

Quote Quote by katie0128
    Great, now you've taken up more space in my very limited memory! Thanks, uh, what was your name again?
    LOL!! My thoughts exactly. Now new info to remember that's more important than the name to taught us.

Quote Quote by kkimpinski
    Has anyone tried dipping apples in 7-Up or Sprite to prevent them from turning brown? I tried one of them and it worked great (can't remember if it was the 7-Up or Sprite) My question is does it matter which one you use or will they both work???
    I have used both and I think they both work. Lemon jucie also works and I used it on sliced banana's also. They looked great. Sherry

Another soda pop type drink is Sierra Mist....works beautifully!!

Paula

Any soda that is clear. Don't use coke or pepsi! (I actually had a customer try it!!!) I like using soda rather than lemon juice because I found that the lemon juice can make the apples bitter and the soda keeps them tasting sweet.

Quote Quote by finley1991
    Any soda that is clear. Don't use coke or pepsi! (I actually had a customer try it!!!) I like using soda rather than lemon juice because I found that the lemon juice can make the apples bitter and the soda keeps them tasting sweet.
    That's exactly why I use pop instead of lemon juice. I also use orange juice because it's sweeter.

I've never tried orange juice, but I'm sure it's great too. I use Sprite, because that is what my family likes and what we usually have at home.
    Mary

"Meet me at the fridge..." I.C.C.Rules!!!

Register to reply