Warranty question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kam
    I should know this....

I have a friend of a friend of a host who has a broken lid on her Chilzanne Rec. I am told it is only a year old (so within warranty period).

I guess normally I take care of getting the info/instructions/ref# for a customer, but since it has to go through so many people, I would prefer her to take care of it herself.

My questions:
    1. Since it is under warranty (but after 30 days) she would only have to pay shipping to get the broken lid to PC?
    2. She would not pay anything (even S&H) on the replacement part?
    3. What number do I give her to call?? I was told never to give out the number I call, but didn't know the customer number.

Any help is appreciated!!!

1-888-OUR-CHEF is the number that she should call. She can get it replaced, just has to send it back and pay for shipping. If she gets a replacement part, she pays for the lid plus local sales tax but no shipping. Have her call and talk to them, consultants technically aren't supposed to take care of items like this. I do only for my own hosts.

I have a woman who's hosting for me in March and one of her non-stick pans is peeling. When I mentioned she should call the company, she got all attitude-y with me (not to be confused with Tootie on The Facts of Life).

Why do people think they'er above doing things like this? I would totally call and do it myself if I was a customer.

I told her I'd take care of it in the end.

If it's a lifetime warranty issue, I would have her take care of it herself. I usually point to their receipt which gives them a number to call.

I had a customer once who wouldn't do anything herself. Even having FedEx pick the product up from her instead of me. She drove 20 minute round trip to drop the product off on my porch and made me do everything. I almost had a mess up wehre FedEx didn't think the product was on my porch. Turned out the guy found it after he left me a message but didn't call back to say he found it. I will NEVER again take a product from a customer because of this. I will share this story with them if they don't agree with me. I will call for them if they insist but I'll send FedEx to them to get it. Funny part, it was even within the 30 days so all she had to do was find a box to put it in.
    Last edited by wadesgirl; 01-24-2008 at 08:55 AM.

When I have someone contact me with a request for a third party, I pass along the number. But someone who is one of my customers or hosts is easier to deal with, because I can look up their info. I will usually call for them, get a reference number, and then call the customer to give them that information and have them handle it from there.

If HO needs the original back, they'll say so when you (or the guest) call. Sometimes they want just the broken piece, sometimes they want the whole thing. That's why it's better to have customers call - because they get it straight from the horse's mouth.

She flipped when I mentioned her receipt.

Everyone I've ever talked to (before signing up and now) thinks it's stupid that they need their reciept and that the company should have all that info in the system. "And besides - it says Pampered Chef on it so they should take it back!"

kam
    Quote Quote by wadesgirl
    1-888-OUR-CHEF is the number that she should call. She can get it replaced, just has to send it back and pay for shipping. If she gets a replacement part, she pays for the lid plus local sales tax but no shipping. Have her call and talk to them, consultants technically aren't supposed to take care of items like this. I do only for my own hosts.
    I thought we weren't supposed to give out this number?? I always thought there were 2 different numbers...

I started taking care of a few of the items since I was new and wanted to see what the process was so I could better explain it.

I don't have a problem dealing with the 30-day items since they ship free back and it is pretty straight forward.

Thanks!

Quote Quote by kam
    I thought we weren't supposed to give out this number?? I always thought there were 2 different numbers...

I started taking care of a few of the items since I was new and wanted to see what the process was so I could better explain it.

I don't have a problem dealing with the 30-day items since they ship free back and it is pretty straight forward.

Thanks!
    There is a different number for lifetime warranty issues but this is the number I always give, it's on the receipt.

PC asks for the receipt in case it's an item you bought at a garage sale, ebay, etc. Or to prove that it's still within the warranty. I agree with their policy, they have the right to handle these issues as they see. I just need to get better at reminding people to save their receipts. I never had a chance to get the stamp from Nancy's, maybe I should see if someone has one in the Marketplace

Quote Quote by redsoxgirl
    She flipped when I mentioned her receipt.

Everyone I've ever talked to (before signing up and now) thinks it's stupid that they need their reciept and that the company should have all that info in the system. "And besides - it says Pampered Chef on it so they should take it back!"
    Some customers think we have a lifetime warranty on everything, and they therefore don't need their receipt ever. It's aggravating.

Quote Quote by kam
    Nope, same number. That's why when you call from a number that they don't recognize, it asks for you to press a number if you're a consultant and another if you're a customer.

kam
    Quote Quote by chefann
    When I have someone contact me with a request for a third party, I pass along the number. But someone who is one of my customers or hosts is easier to deal with, because I can look up their info. I will usually call for them, get a reference number, and then call the customer to give them that information and have them handle it from there.

If HO needs the original back, they'll say so when you (or the guest) call. Sometimes they want just the broken piece, sometimes they want the whole thing. That's why it's better to have customers call - because they get it straight from the horse's mouth.
    Yes, I have done this with an item ordered from me, and one item that was ordered from a show my director did. I just passed along the info from HO(ref# and all) and let them ship the item back. Though, I worry about them assuming I will ship the item back, so I have to be clear about this.

kam
    Quote Quote by chefann
    Nope, same number. That's why when you call from a number that they don't recognize, it asks for you to press a number if you're a consultant and another if you're a customer.
    Now that I think about it, when I have had to call from work, it does ask if I am a consultant or customer!
    THANKS!

kam
    Actually, I am sitting here thinking to myself that I don't mind handling returns and what not. But, I now have a customer that is making me re-think this....As we are going back and forth debating letting customers do this themselves or not...here is my story:

Let's call my guest Bonnie. She orders from Host A. She does not want to pay shipping so she gets someone to combine orders with her.

I do a show for Host B. Bonnie tells me she has a problem with a Batter bowl lid. I ask her when she ordered, etc and she tells me from Host B's show. I tell her I don't remember her ordering from Host B. Well, she didn't. She got Host B to put her Batter bowl on the host order. So now, how does she call pretending she's the host? And, to top this off, Host B lives an hour away, so obviously we don't want the replacement shipped to Host B. So I call as the consultant, saying the item is from the host order, but since I am helping my host, please ship the replacement to me.

Now, Bonnie brings me in a Bamboo spoon that has a rough spot. It is like a little bit is breaking off near the handle and she wants me to find out if this is normal or should be replaced. She ordered this from Host A - and since her order is combined - I need to find out whose name this is under! UGH! I just found this out and have yet to call HO on this.

NOW THE KICKER: I have Host C who is collecting an order from Bonnie. Bonnie asks me to find out if I can combine her order with someone elses. I tell her I cannot do that or make that assumption. There are warranty issues and it is better to have it in your own name. Well, she says these aren't big items and warranty doesn't really matter. She then wants ME to ask another guest if she could put her order on theirs!!! I tell her no way. She can ask and combine with someone - but it needs to be arranged with that person and handed to me as one order.

So, who can guess that she will have a problem with one of the items in this order and I will be doing the same thing!!!

So, even though I am thinking I don't mind handling returns...since I did the first one for her, I am now stuck with the rest. This gets so tricky with her trying to avoid the $4 that these things keep going in everyone elses name!

OK, vent over!

Kathleen, that's exactly why I don't let customers combine orders. If they do it on their own and I'm not aware of it, then they'll get away with it. Until one has a problem (and it's ALWAYS the person whose name is not on the receipt).

There used to be a sentence on the back of the receipts that consultants were not allowed to accept returns. It hasn't been there for a couple of years, and I wish it was. Because then, we can point to it and have a leg to stand on when we tell customers to handle it themselves. <end rant>

And I have another comment about Bonnie's purchase: by placing it on the host's order, the host didn't get credit for it. That may have been the $20 that she needed to get to another level. For that reason alone, you shouldn't let customers put their orders with the host's.

kam
    Quote Quote by chefann
    Kathleen, that's exactly why I don't let customers combine orders. If they do it on their own and I'm not aware of it, then they'll get away with it. Until one has a problem (and it's ALWAYS the person whose name is not on the receipt).

There used to be a sentence on the back of the receipts that consultants were not allowed to accept returns. It hasn't been there for a couple of years, and I wish it was. Because then, we can point to it and have a leg to stand on when we tell customers to handle it themselves. <end rant>

And I have another comment about Bonnie's purchase: by placing it on the host's order, the host didn't get credit for it. That may have been the $20 that she needed to get to another level. For that reason alone, you shouldn't let customers put their orders with the host's.
    Yes, I now find myself discouraging combining orders.

And I had NO IDEA her order was on the host's order. The host never even let on that it was for someone else. I think the host felt pressured to put it on the order. (And I was a little peeved that she probably got the host discount to boot! - I can't see the host taking the full price for that item).

I think this gal will do anything to avoid paying the shipping. She is STILL asking me about putting her current order on someone else's! I told her I could not get involved with that. If she found someone who would order them items for her, then that was up to her.
    Last edited by kam; 01-24-2008 at 09:43 AM.

I would tell Bonnie that while you let her the first and second time, you cannot continue to let her abuse the system. PC is set up so everyone can enjoy great products at a great price, not scam the system. If she doesn't want to pay shipping on her order, then she needs to host her own show!

All kidding aside, I would tell her that point blank. It sounds like she isn't even ordering that much to give you all this trouble. I would have her call the number herself and explain the situation to HO and have them tell her the same thing.

Ugh! Doesn't that stink when customers are such penny-pinchers? I could see if our shipping costs were really high, like some companies. The only time I combine is when someone's ordering something that's $10 or less, because in that case the shipping would be 40%. Yikes!

Wouldn't it be nice to tell Bonnie that she has to handle all of her warranty issues herself, so she has to tell HO that she combined her order with someone else's? <insert evil laugh here>

Quote Quote by chefann
    Ugh! Doesn't that stink when customers are such penny-pinchers? I could see if our shipping costs were really high, like some companies. The only time I combine is when someone's ordering something that's $10 or less, because in that case the shipping would be 40%. Yikes!

Wouldn't it be nice to tell Bonnie that she has to handle all of her warranty issues herself, so she has to tell HO that she combined her order with someone else's? <insert evil laugh here>
    I went to a food-buying party last week and shipping was $6.99 for up to $50 in products and then after that it was 10% of the total. Granted - the items are shipped to you, not the host, but it still seemed excessive!

Quote Quote by chefann

I just ordered from TW and their shipping is a minimum of $2.75 or 10% of your order, which ever is greater. Which means that my shipping is over $10! Not bad but still, compared to our straight forward $4 shipping (for most locations) it's a rip off.

kam
    Yes, our shipping cost is GREAT compared to other companies! And it comes quick!

Yes, her orders are not that large - under $20. And she won't even come to a show! So this has been all outside orders. (I work with her - so that is how I see her).

I have a host that needs the gel pack replaced, it fell out of the freezer and now it leaks. No problem? HO wants me to send it (all) back, still no big deal except it is still oozing. So I call HO and explain that the USPS won't ship something that is leaking or even in a ziploc bag (incase it gets punctured) through the mail. HO has never heard such a thing from the Post Office I explained that after 9-11 they are funny about some stuff you send through the mail. She checks with her supervisor and come back to tell me that her supervisor has never heard of that either. So I guess I will try to get it open some how and get all the gel or what ever out of it, but what a pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Warranty question.
    By Becky0216 in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 6
    03-18-2008, 05:06 PM
  2. Warranty question!!
    By PamperedDor in Products and Tips
    Replies: 3
    03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
  3. Lifetime warranty question
    By KimmyDarling in Customer Care & Service