Made in China

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ok, I had TWO people at my show tonight ask me where Pampered Chef products are made! They were totally freaking out about it!! They said if they were made in China...well, let's just say a not so good look would come on their face. I was SO mad about them asking about that cause, I mean C'MON! Even my HOST expressed her concern about the products being made in China (and how DANGEROUS they are!) when I met with her to discuss her upcoming show! She's been hosting for PC for 20 YEARS and now she's decided to freak out about it!? I almost wanted to say, "In all those 20 years did you ever find the products you bought to be harmful to you!?"

Good gosh!

The only response I could come up with was something like, "The Pampered Chef would not get products from China that aren't safe!"

I really didn't know what to say!! Have any of you had people freak out about our products being made in China! What did you say?

No offense to any of you who aren't happy about our products being made in China as well. Sorry.

On a positive note, this was my second cooking show and my Host made $575in sales tonight! She also got two bookings! AND she is going to gather up some more outside orders within the next couple of days so hopefully altogether, we will be looking at a $700 or maybe $800 show? I'm happy!!!

FYI I do believe all of our stones are still made in the USA

Quote Quote by ughubug View Post
    FYI I do believe all of our stones are still made in the USA
    That's good to know!
    I'll remember that for next time.

But my concern is...will we lose sales over this???

lost somewhere in the land of Lake Woebegon
    Items for Sale
    From Doris Christopher's latest book... Many of our products are made overseas because when she wanted to develop kitchen tools for PC US businessmen would not talk to her or would not meet her standards. The Business people from China Etc. took her seriously and met her product specifications.

Quote Quote by etteluap70PC View Post
    From Doris Christopher's latest book... Many of our products are made overseas because when she wanted to develop kitchen tools for PC US businessmen would not talk to her or would not meet her standards. The Business people from China Etc. took her seriously and met her product specifications.

That's good to know!
    But why do I see a response like this causing more of an issue? Example:

"Oh really? What was it about her specifications that was SO bad that the US businessman would not accept it?"

You know how people can be!

Actually, just looking through the PIG and clicking randomly it appears that all of our Simple Additions are made in China, a good portion of the Bamboo products, all the stainless cookware, the lids to the executive cookware, the silicone bakeware, the sheet pans and the color coated knives are all made in China.

I had no idea so many of our products were produced there, but I have never had an issue with the quality of our products and none of my customers have ever really brought the issue up. It does appear that all the stoneware is made in the USA.

They need to be realistic. If we didn't buy anything made in China, many of us would be eating naked on the floor, eating with our fingers off of paper plates. Yes, testing is done, to be sure our products meet high expectations and are safe.

Let me add this, my husband has been working directly with oversea's companies in having them make some products for him. They are easier to work with, they want our business and they are not obligated to one company. In the US you have so many factories that make one thing and if it doesn't fit into their scheme of things' they don't want it. Don't get me wrong I am all for products Made In The USA, but let's be honest, you can't find them anymore. So by working with the oversea's companies you do get to be hand's-on and they get you what you want, not what they think you need.

I really get tired of people who nit-pick about where stuff is made. I wonder if they get this uptight over where their clothing is made? How about their cars? Most of our food is produced overseas as well. What about the gas they put in their car.....do they complain about that stuff??? The US is an importer, we make very little, we buy a lot....from everywhere.

Quote Quote by pamperedlinda View Post
    I really get tired of people who nit-pick about where stuff is made. I wonder if they get this uptight over where their clothing is made? How about their cars? Most of our food is produced overseas as well. What about the gas they put in their car.....do they complain about that stuff??? The US is an importer, we make very little, we buy a lot....from everywhere.
    I tend to be to um, "bold". I would go right down that path with the response of "I bet you drove a Toyota or a Honda here tonight, so what is the problem"?

Me too, Linda.

I guess none of them have a computer...or any other electronic device. They must not have a toaster, or a coffeemaker, or any other small appliances, either.

All of this discussion is great. What I would add to it is the when PC started, how many business men would actually speak with a woman about their ideas? Also does anyone remember when the sheet pans first came out, they originally didn't meet PC standards and they replaced all of the sheet pans that were bought at PC expense. All because the sheets discolored. I still use my discolored sheet pans and they work just fine. This is a great story to tell if there are any concerns from customers about where things are manufactured.

Quote Quote by 3girls View Post
    All of this discussion is great. What I would add to it is the when PC started, how many business men would actually speak with a woman about their ideas? Also does anyone remember when the sheet pans first came out, they originally didn't meet PC standards and they replaced all of the sheet pans that were bought at PC expense. All because the sheets discolored. I still use my discolored sheet pans and they work just fine. This is a great story to tell if there are any concerns from customers about where things are manufactured.
    As Paulette said in her post, that is exactly what happened to Doris Christopher when she was starting PC. She TRIED to get things manufactured in the US, but couldn't get anyone to help her.

I HIGHLY recommend her book "The Pampered Chef" - it's a great story of how she started this business.

Quote Quote by ChefBeckyD View Post
    As Paulette said in her post, that is exactly what happened to Doris Christopher when she was starting PC. She TRIED to get things manufactured in the US, but couldn't get anyone to help her.

I HIGHLY recommend her book "The Pampered Chef" - it's a great story of how she started this business.
    I love that book! It is so motivating!! And, it is no longer in print I loaned my only copy to a former consultant and never got it back from her. I just bought 2 copies of it on ebay. We really should contact HO and have them get more copies of this book or get it updated and back in print - personally, I think it should be a part of the kit!

I love that book! It is so motivating!! And, it is no longer in print I loaned my only copy to a former consultant and never got it back from her. I just bought 2 copies of it on ebay. We really should contact HO and have them get more copies of this book or get it updated and back in print - personally, I think it should be a part of the kit!
    I got mine on Amazon.

I agree - it should at least be on Supply Order! The book by Jay is there.

I heard a continuation to the story about how Doris couldn't get the US to manufacture for a woman. That since she established such good working relationships with her overseas manufacturers that she has decided to remain loyal to them. That in the beginning she her self would travel to the actual manufacturing facilities to perform random spot checks throughout the year. And to this day PC does hold our products to the same in person checks. If something is found to be of a lesser quality I heard she demanded each product to be destroyed before her including any molds created to make the item. (this story was told to me and I am not positive if I am remembering all the exact details with 100% accuracy, I hope I am)

I agree, the US is an importer and it would be impossible to exclusively own only US made. That said, isn't there some comfort in supporting a local entrepreneur- consultants? With a US company? I mean you call HO and you not only can still speak to a HUMAN but I believe a human in the US. And I don't believe we even have to "press 1" to speak in English!! Isn't this all GOOD??

Stoneware is made in US, with American clay I believe.

I'm sorry you had a "Debbie downer" at your show.

China is one of several manufacturing countries. The blades for our USG are made in Germany (so our HO staff told me in the product showcase room when it came out), while the plastic and silicone are made in China. All of the Food Chopper is made in Germany. Kwickut knives are made in USA as well as Egg Slicer Plus. When people get anxious about product sources, I remind them that the Chinese no longer flood their exports with poor knockoffs and lead-filled toys or ceramics. In fact, they are simply growing as an economic and social titan. I live and teach in a Pacific Rim economy, where trade with Pan Asian countries is not only sought, but appreciated and revered. (Did you know the very finest Washington cherries are sold at astounding premium prices to the Japanese?) I tell my customers:

The Pampered Chef is smart enough to go to marketplaces around the world in search of the best and newest kitchen tools and spices for you and all their customers. Items come from across the globe, including Asia, Germany and the United States. All our spices and rubs are Certified Kosher – Pareve by Quality Kosher Supervision. The company guarantees all its products and our test kitchens thoroughly use and develop our new products in real kitchens. When I have toured, they have four kitchen suites ranging from gas to electric stoves, including induction and ceramic cooktop. They have ADA kitchen facilities and test all our products in varieties of microwaves, refrigerators, stoves and ovens. We have opened our company in Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom and most recently, Mexico. Rest assured that Pampered Chef will continue to stand by its products, recipes and brand name for years to come! I am so confident in the company that I chose to join them, and would be so excited to have you do the same!
    Last edited by scottcooks; 05-13-2010 at 08:36 AM.

I have had a few customers concerned about this, one said she would only purchase products made in the US.

Let's be realistic, if you like the Bamboo products- more likely than not, they will not be made in the US. Where does a majority of the world's bamboo grow? Yes, that's right! Asia!!

She got over it enough to purchase a Bamboo bowl for her sister for XMas.

I understand customers trying to support US businesses and being weary of China/Japan mfg-ed products with recent issues re: lead paint etc. however I would simply reinforce to them that PC would not sell dangerous or low quality products, thus the warranties we provide so we can stand by our products.

I also think the history behind why Doris initially chose to go overseas is great as well.

At the end of the day some people will keep their opinion of US-made only, and that's their perogative. Too bad they'll be missing out on some of our greatest products. Nothing you can do about that.

One thing that I say to my "Made in the USA" customers, in addition to the facts already stated, that they are supporting a USA business by buying from TPC. TPC happens to have manufacturers from overseas, but it is still a home-grown, USA company!

Quote Quote by lockhartkitchen View Post
    They need to be realistic. If we didn't buy anything made in China, many of us would be eating naked on the floor, eating with our fingers off of paper plates. Yes, testing is done, to be sure our products meet high expectations and are safe.

Lol! Most likely that would be true!

Quote Quote by Shell Northway View Post
    Let me add this, my husband has been working directly with oversea's companies in having them make some products for him. They are easier to work with, they want our business and they are not obligated to one company. In the US you have so many factories that make one thing and if it doesn't fit into their scheme of things' they don't want it. Don't get me wrong I am all for products Made In The USA, but let's be honest, you can't find them anymore. So by working with the oversea's companies you do get to be hand's-on and they get you what you want, not what they think you need.
    Ditto!! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Quote by robochick84 View Post
    I tend to be to um, "bold". I would go right down that path with the response of "I bet you drove a Toyota or a Honda here tonight, so what is the problem"?
    LOVE IT!!!

Quote Quote by ChefCat View Post
    I agree, the US is an importer and it would be impossible to exclusively own only US made. That said, isn't there some comfort in supporting a local entrepreneur- consultants? With a US company? I mean you call HO and you not only can still speak to a HUMAN but I believe a human in the US. And I don't believe we even have to "press 1" to speak in English!! Isn't this all GOOD??

Stoneware is made in US, with American clay I believe.

I'm sorry you had a "Debbie downer" at your show.
    YES! It IS good!!! Right on!
    It's ok, there's always going to be a "Debbie Downer." I just wish it didn't happen so often. Both of my cooking shows I have done there have been "Debbie Downers!"
    Perhaps God sorta made it that way to help me learn from all sorts of experiences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Made in China
    By smstrks in Increasing Sales
    Replies: 17
    06-12-2009, 07:57 AM
  2. Made in China-- eek!
    By bsaxman in Products and Tips
    Replies: 21
    05-17-2008, 12:23 PM
  3. SA are they made in China
    By cewcooks in Products and Tips
    Replies: 13
    04-20-2008, 08:16 AM
  4. Christmas China - what kinds do you have?
    By jrstephens in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 20
    01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
  5. Made in China
    By SillyChef in Chef's Lounge
    Replies: 17
    10-03-2007, 07:36 PM