Pampered Chef Thread: I've never heard this objection before

Smile I've never heard this objection before

Two recruit leads at today's show (yippee!) and one is hesitant because "what if the host's house is icky?" She has been a catalog host and been to shows before, but I don't think she was thinking of anyone's house in particular. I didn't dare tell her any of my horror stories, such as the miniature pony that came into the house and sat on someone's lap in the recliner. Her friends reassured her that she could clean her work area and pointed to my demo area. I just had to have a chuckle b/c it was a new objection for me. Hopefully when I talk to her tomorrow she'll have gotten over the "icky" idea.
    [FONT="System"]Becca
    Director

Congrats! That is a good one! To be honest, out of the years I have done this and the homes I have seen, I would say there were only 2 that I would call icky. Hopefully, she will realize that's one object that can be overcome!
    Anne Pratt
    Senior Consultant

"Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light." ~Norman B. Rice

Of course, everyone's icky threshold is different.
    Blessings!
    Rae Bates

"I am not a psychologist. Anything said here that seems the least bit psychological, I probably made it up. Anything that seems psycho is all me."--Anita Renfroe
    I blog at www.mommabates.wordpress.com. It's not fantastic, but I'm having fun.

I definitely think it's something that can be over come...I'd love to get into your mini pony story...lol...it really sat on a guests lap?!?! How did you keep your composier?
    Reached $5,000 in sales within my first 60days!

Reached my 15K career sales March 2010!!

Proud Wife & Mom! (Adam 4 & Camryn 1 1/2...already!)

1st recruit signed Oct '09, qualified Nov '09

2nd recruit signed Jan '10

Got over my fears...3 on my team....& ALWAYS offering the opportunity!!

Love the mini pony! In the house and in the recliner. Maybe that was his recliner and it doesn't matter who is sitting there when he gets tired?! Too Funny!

Anyway, yes everyone's icky factor is different. Mine is pretty middle ground I think. I would say in all the years I've been doing this there have only been a handful of houses that I didn't want to go back to.
    Sharon
    Team Leader

Proud, Pampered Army Wife to Travis for almost 18 years (October 26, 1994)
    We've lived in Kansas, Texas, Virginia, Germany, New Jersey, and Colorado
    Momma to Tristan - Dec. 9, 2006
    Consultant for the BEST direct sales company around since July 1997
    All great change in America begins at the dinner table. ~ Ronald Reagan

LOL Becca....yes, you have to share the mini pony story! What did you do?

Icky houses may pop up, and I've read a few stories here about them....my threshhold is pretty high so I'm lucky. There was only one house, so far, that bothered me a bit....but it was more of an odor issue. I don't like stale or smelly homes it seems...and I've run across a few of those....animal odors are the worse! I'm working on that! lol
    Laurie
    Advanced Director

To Do:
    1-2-3
    Big Rocks
    Organize/Schedule

Quote Quote by Becca_in_MD View Post
    I didn't dare tell her any of my horror stories, such as the miniature pony that came into the house and sat on someone's lap in the recliner.
    I have to tell you that I really needed this laugh. Thank you so much! I am sorry for you that you had to experience it, but I really need the chuckle.

Let her know it is her business and she can refuse to have a show with anybody she wants. My horror story is that I was 8.5 months prego and I arrive at the house that has mattresses piled up on the outside. The house is a mess; no surface area is clean and there are dirty dishes all over the kitchen. It is 11 am and she is drunk! Nobody shows up except a neighbor who is a good samaritan. She makes a scallop quiche and wants me to eat it!

OMG, I'm ROFL at the mini pony story, too!! I can't stop chuckling! Thanks!!
    Cathy
    /cathyskitchen

I think the mini pony story may not be quite as funny as you expect.

The house was relatively clean. There were horses in a pasture. Some random dogs, etc. In a side hall, something in a cage scared the wahoo out of me b/c it was dark and I didn't know it was there until I cut through the hallway and it made a noise.

I did the show. Once it was mostly family left, they brought in the mini pony. The daughter sat on the recliner and pulled the pony up onto her lap. The poor animal hadn't had her hooves trimmed and they were all deformed.

I think that was one of those shows where I needed to Febreeze everything when I got home b/c of the cigarette smoke.

I told my recruit lead to bring a bottle of cleanser with her if she's worried about people not being clean. I don't mind people leaving dirty dishes in the sink, and certainly don't expect the microwave to be clean, though most times these are not an issue. I figure people shouldn't have to kill themselves making the house spic and span to have a show. That just makes her guests less likely to want to book. My pet peeve is people who don't vacuum. I think I got the vacuuming thing from my dad.
    [FONT="System"]Becca
    Director

I hate when they have pets who put their wet noses into my bags as I arrive. I worry about pet hair getting into my stuff. I've been to a couple homes that really smelled and pet hair was all over the floor and counters.

I had one host where one of their goats had gotten into the house! And pet hair all over the floor. It's a half hour before the show starts and my host is just getting out of bed! This is my sister's SIL, so at least my sister was there to help me clean up the place while her SIL showered. But it actually turned out to be one of my best shows. Great attendance, great sales...and the guests never got to suspect that a goat had been through the house an hour earlier!
    Amanda

/08amandak

This is not exactly icky, but definitely on the edge of it...I had one show that the host had an English bulldog that humped my leg the entire show! I asked the host to put it away but she refused b/c the dog would cry. Then I was the one who was crying (on the inside)

Hard to prepare food when the dog's in the mood

I know this is an old thread, but I was doing a search in the recruiting forum for help on getting from maybe to yes and I came across this thread. I just had a guest from my show this week ask me about "icky" houses. That would be her concern. I did tell her that icky houses are not the norm!
    Brenda
    Director as of 11/01/2013!!!!!!!!
    Goals for 2014:
    1. Maintain Directorship
    2. Attend New Director Academy and Leadership in 2014.
    3. Earn the Travel Incentive.

One of the very first consultants (who was not a dog lover) who joined Doris back in the day used to tell the story of a large labrador retriever who bounded up to her and proudly led her into the house. She was greeted by the host who looked a little alarmed but quickly regained her composure. After about 10 minutes of the dog racing around the house, sticking her nose into everything and generally getting in the way, the host finally said "Do you always bring your dog to Pampered Chef shows?" ...."My dog?....I thought it was your dog!"

What a great story ......we have so many of them - you can keep a room entertained for hours!

Quote Quote by islandgurlchef View Post
    One of the very first consultants (who was not a dog lover) who joined Doris back in the day used to tell the story of a large labrador retriever who bounded up to her and proudly led her into the house. She was greeted by the host who looked a little alarmed but quickly regained her composure. After about 10 minutes of the dog racing around the house, sticking her nose into everything and generally getting in the way, the host finally said "Do you always bring your dog to Pampered Chef shows?" ...."My dog?....I thought it was your dog!"

What a great story ......we have so many of them - you can keep a room entertained for hours!
    Now that's funny.....

Quote Quote by islandgurlchef View Post

HA! That is a really cute story

Register to reply

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

1. Overcoming objection (before we even start!)
    By janej76 in forum Increasing Sales
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 04:23 PM
  2. Objection ~ don't have $$ for the kit
    By Kitchen2u in forum Recruiting Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 05:35 PM
  3. Different Recruit objection
    By Kathytnt in forum Recruiting Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2006, 06:41 PM
  4. Recruiting Objection