• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help Needed: Recruiting woes with a Friend/Director

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to handle a situation with her director. Her director has been contacting potential recruits, which has led to two recruits deciding not to join. The speaker is unsure of how to address the issue with her director, who is also her friend. She is considering being honest with her director and expressing her concerns.
acherry
Gold Member
Okay Ladies & Gents,
I need your help.... not sure if this is the place to post, but as it deals with recruits, I guess so...
My director is great, awesome woman and PC consultant...we have different personalities, but that's okay cause its great to bounce ideas off each other...
However, our recruiting styles are different....I have a lot of people are that are interested in just trying it...and haven't decided if they will stick with it...so they just want to try it with the 4 shows and go from there...So as my recruits are spread out...I try and get them together once a month, chat on the phone or e-mail for those living further away (i.e., 45min - 1hr from me). (oh, no I'm not a director yet, but a FD whose pretty close)...

So..I got a msg from one of my recruits, who I know was trying to fit this is into her already busy schedule, who has decided she's not going to do it anymore. She said she got a phone call from my director, and who, she said, was very pushy and made her feel very intimidated about selling PC to people, and said she just can't do all that stuff, and decided its no longer for her and that there is no changing her mind, but she'll definitely recommend me for future parties/sales.

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. I'm not sure what to say to my director whose also my friend. I KNOW they are under her until I promote, but right now I feel like I'm not gonna get there, if this keeps happening... I KNOW she's just trying to do what she thinks is right (i.e., corresponding with new consutants), but its not going over very well with my recruits...

So...am I wrong...if I am..please tell me...if I'm not...should I say something?? If so, what do you think I should say?? I'm at a loss and need help...thanks for your time!!

Cheers,
Angela

P.S. I did respond to the recruit, and no, I didn't bad mouth my director, I just mentioned that I still think she would be great at it, and that I understood w/ her schedule she couldn't commit to it like she wanted and I hope she thinks of me for future PC needs, etc..

Be honest!!I can't stress this enough. Be honest to your director and tell her what the outcome was with that potential recruit she talked to. :eek:

That way she might back off a little.

I understand many directors don't want to get stuck with "kit nappers" who only want the products at a great discount and have no intentions of having shows or even selling anything.

But we must give people the benefit of the doubt. Who knows if someone who might just do one show a month, will love it and make better sales than our whole cluster!!

It's best if you tell her that she is scaring these potential recruits away!! Honestly I never wanted to committ to so many shows a month when I started. When I started I had 3 children, 2 I home school, and a baby girl who just turned 6 months!
Now I have four children and I do more shows than I ever expected to do. I have about 4-5 shows per month plus catalog shows. I love it!!! I knew I loved PC when I started but I didn't think I had the time to do more than 1-2shows per month!!
Things change and pressure is a horrible thing to put on people who are thinking about joining! It kind of gets rid of the idea of just having fun!! I use to stress out about low guest sales, low attendance, and unexcited hosts!! Now I just have fun and my career sales are better than ever!!
Tell your potential recruits that this job is FUN, and while they are having FUN they make some extra money and get FREE PC stuff!!!
It's great! But I recommend you sit and talk to your director. I'm not as close to my director as some are. Some are really good friends with theirs, but I still feel comfortable talking to her about my business. She is there to help you and to listen to what you need from her!!! Good luck!
Debbie :D

If your director is your friend then just tell her how you feel. I am also on the "roller coaster to directorship", I feel like if I recruit everyone then most of them will stay with PC if just for the hobby of it. Do what your gut tells you to do, if you speak with her about it...what will happen? If you don't speak with her about it...what will happen?

warn recruitsI'd talk to the director, but also tell the recruits upfront. Tell them how your director is in charge of the training but is more aggressive than you are. Set your expectations for them and tell them that they don't have to be pushed into anything. Like: "I'm so glad you're signing up and know you'll do your first four shows as obligated. Our director gets a little over ambitious at times and might make you feel that you have to do more than that, but you don't. PLEASE remind yourself that your goals are a little different than hers and that's okay - she is making this a career, and, right now, you are just considering the possibilities. If she pushes you to do more than you're ready, just tell her you'll consider it and hang up. Then call me and I'll talk to her."

Maybe even make it more lighthearted: "Our director is like an excited puppy who runs up to everyone and licks them, jumps on them and wants them to be as enthusiastic as she is. Some people think that puppy is adorable and others are completely annoyed. Please don't let her enthusiasm run you away."

Good luck...

beepampered said:
I'd talk to the director, but also tell the recruits upfront. Tell them how your director is in charge of the training but is more aggressive than you are. Set your expectations for them and tell them that they don't have to be pushed into anything. Like: "I'm so glad you're signing up and know you'll do your first four shows as obligated. Our director gets a little over ambitious at times and might make you feel that you have to do more than that, but you don't. PLEASE remind yourself that your goals are a little different than hers and that's okay - she is making this a career, and, right now, you are just considering the possibilities. If she pushes you to do more than you're ready, just tell her you'll consider it and hang up. Then call me and I'll talk to her."

Maybe even make it more lighthearted: "Our director is like an excited puppy who runs up to everyone and licks them, jumps on them and wants them to be as enthusiastic as she is. Some people think that puppy is adorable and others are completely annoyed. Please don't let her enthusiasm run you away."

Good luck...
That is so funny! I love the lighthearted approach- and it won't make them so "gun-shy" of your director! They will see her in a better light than being told she is more aggresive!

Becky

A great reply!
beepampered said:

Good luck...

That is wonderful! I agree that you should warn your recruits and talk to your director. She should want you to promote.

I agree, PLUS...
ChefBeckyD said:
That is so funny! I love the lighthearted approach- and it won't make them so "gun-shy" of your director! They will see her in a better light than being told she is more aggresive!

I agree with Becky! Sometimes we forget that not everyone wants to make PC their career. I think going the lighthearted way is the best approach. You never know when someone will end up saying "Oh, Jane I just love being in your cluster, and I don't think you're too pushy, ambitous or aggressive. I don't know what Angela was talking about?" You don't want to end up hurting your director's feelings or even alienating her by making her mad.

Good Luck!

First...the "excited puppy" analogy is VERY funny! And a cute way to make it light hearted.

Second...we need to remember that we get what we ask for. When we focus our recruiting talks on "just do 4 shows and quit if you want", we find that they usually do! Once I heard this it really clicked with how I had been recruiting. I was so frustrated with a cluster full of "every other month" consultants. They only sell $200 every other month.

It is perfectly fine to encourage new consultants and potential recruits to set a schedule that fits their situation...if that is just a few shows that is fine. But don't focus on "do just 4 shows and try it" or that will be what THEY will focus on.

Definitely talk to your director. If you have already spoken with a new consultant and know their goals, call your director first...before she calls them, and fill her in. No director should push her goals on someone else, even if she thinks she's helping them.

You could call the consultant who is ready to throw in the bag and offer her a carrot. Whatever her heart strings are, remind her of why she started to get involved in the first place. Also, will she be influenced by any incentives going on?

Unfortunately, lots of people don't stick to it when they aren't producing much. It takes more time than it's worth when they're only doing a show here and there. Also, they aren't earning any of the company incentives, so they often feel like PC is one more thing they're failing at. Nobody want to be involved in that. It never hurts to have an honest talk with her and show her these points and find out how much she would like to do. Here's Steve Wilshire's words: "If you had 100 people lined up and geographically close to you, asking you for shows during times you are available, how many shows would you like to do per month?" If her answer if 4 and she's only doing 1, she may need ideas for getting more shows.

Last Consultant StandingI heard a great bit of information the other night on a conference call. A Senior Executive was talking about sticking it out in this business. When she is asked why she is so successful, she says it's because she is the last consultant standing....meaning that you have to stay in this long enough to reap what you sow. So many times we get discouraged because we don't see immediate results and we want to quit but if we just hang on through the rough or slow times, we will begin to reap fabulous rewards :)

Here is a short story to share with your "busy" consultant. I work for the government full time (40+ hours a week), am the president of the Emerald Coast Golden Retriever Rescue (20+ hours a week of work) and do at least 4 shows a month with Pampered Chef. No, I don't have a HUGE business but I earned level 1 last year and am on my way to doing it again this year. I have great customers that know I am busy so we communicate mostly via e-mail. Phone calls just don't work for me...I am too busy...and most of my customers love that I am not calling and bugging them because BUSY people know BUSY people. I have a very successful business that lets me earn my free product, make a little money and gives me time to RELAX. Remember...Busy People are Successful people.

Hope this helps!

I am a firm believer in the 90 day rule - what you do today will "bloom" in 90 days. I had an okay Jan, horrible Feb, Mar and April, but am booming in May with shows and recruits. I took the extra time I had Feb-April (hosts kept reschedueling and no one else would book) and called and worked my tushie off! I have 4 possible recruits I'm working with and I'm trying to promote to Director on June 1. It really works! Ask her to try it for 90 days and see what happens.

1. How do I recruit a friend to join Pampered Chef as a consultant?

The best way to recruit a friend is to share your personal experiences and successes with Pampered Chef. Talk about the benefits of being a consultant such as flexible hours, extra income, and the opportunity to meet new people. You can also offer to host a party for them to see the products and business opportunity in action.

2. My friend is hesitant to join because of the initial investment. How can I address this concern?

Explain that the initial investment is a one-time fee and is necessary to start their business. The investment includes a starter kit with products, business supplies, and training materials. Also, remind them that they can earn back their investment quickly through parties and sales.

3. I'm having trouble getting my friend to follow through with their commitment to join as a consultant. What should I do?

Keep in touch with your friend and continue to share your own experiences and excitement about Pampered Chef. Offer to answer any questions or concerns they may have and provide them with resources such as success stories or training materials. Ultimately, it is up to your friend to make the decision to join, so be patient and supportive.

4. My friend joined as a consultant, but now they are not actively working their business. How can I help them get back on track?

Reach out to your friend and offer to help them create a plan and set goals for their business. Offer to co-host a party with them or provide them with tips and resources for building their business. Remind them of their initial goals and the reasons they joined Pampered Chef. Sometimes a little motivation and support can go a long way.

5. My director is not providing enough support and guidance for my friend who joined as a consultant. What can I do?

First, try to address this issue with your director and express your concerns. If that does not resolve the issue, reach out to your upline or the Pampered Chef home office for additional support and resources. You can also connect your friend with other experienced consultants for guidance and advice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• otisbg
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
otisbg
  • ChefBevShu
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • 11accold