• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Recruiting Objection - Cooking in Someone Else's Kitchen

In summary, the potential recruit's objection is that she doesn't think she can cook in someone else's kitchen. Her hesitation may be due to a fear of being judged, or a lack of confidence. Her training and support will help her overcome this obstacle.
Bren706
Gold Member
I have a potential recruit that may be interested, but her concern is that she "doesn't think she can cook in someone else's kichen". Have any of you had this objection before? (personally or with a recruit) How would you respond?

My first thought is that she is using her own tools, not theirs, and most of the time, you're not actually in their kitchen, but at a table in another room (depending on house layout).

I'm doing all shows at my house right now due to my husband's work schedule. I just started doing it, but seems to be working well so far.

I knew a consultant several years ago that did all of her shows at her home. The host would simply purchase the ingredients and the guests would assemble at her home. This actually made it a little easier on the consultant since she didn't have to take her products with her. Everything she owned was already right there at her disposal. I kind of wish this would work for me.

I would ask her to tell you more about it. What doesn't she think she can do? Chances are, she's probably just nervous! Then you can talk about the training and support she'll receive and how she will feel more comfortable after she does a few shows. But I'd definitely ask her to tell you more about it.

Agree, ask her specifically why.

Does she think she's gonna have to ask where everything is? I've had to ask hosts how to turn on their burners or oven - no biggie. I've forgotten towels and had to ask for paper towels. I forgot toothpicks for a 'chicken your way' demo. I have forgotten something at EVERY show I've done - always something different - but, it has never been anything really important that ruined the show.

Is she shy about taking over another person's kitchen? Maybe she has a friend/relative that's a control freak and she thinks all hosts are gonna be like that.

Does she think other people's kitchens are not going to be clean enough? LOL Can't help with that one, but the idea to have all shows at her own house might work until she does a few and gets more comfortable.

I could come up with more scenarios, but you need to know what her specific objection about cooking in other kitchens will be.

I agree, it's not like she's headed off to the kitchen to cater a meal for a group. This is a Cooking Show. The object is to let the guests see what's happening (preferably by participating or doing it themselves). And most (if not all) of the tools that she'll be using are things that she brought with her.I was raised with a very nosy Grandmother. And when I say nosy, I mean NOSY!!! She would go through everything in your house. My Dad wanted to prove a point to my Mom one year and put a note that said "Quit being nosy!" in the middle of a stack of towels. She found it when she went to the bathroom, came out of the bathroom mad & told my Grandfather it was time to go. Every year at Girl Scout Banquet time, they would come to our house. My Grandfather & my Dad would alternate years with my Sister & I, so we'd have one of them every year. Mom was a leader, so she went too. This meant that my Grandmother had full reign of the house for a good 3 hours. Dad wanted to prove yet another point to my Mom one year & went around the house pulling out head hairs. He opened every singe drawer/cabinet in the kitchen, bathrooms and their room & put a head hair in the door/cabinet before closing, then did the same thing on my sister's bedroom door & my bedroom door. At the end of the night, after my Grandparents were gone, he took my Mom around the house to prove that not just "some" of the hairs had mysteriously fallen, but that every single one of them had fallen. She had been in every room and every drawer/cabinet that he marked. Her demeanor gave me a complex. If I'm borrowing someone's bathroom and there's no toilet paper out, I'll drip dry before I'll open a cabinet to look for toilet paper. LOL The thought of someone hearing the cabinet and even THINKING that I'm being nosy is mortifying to me. BUT, doing Cooking Shows is a different mentality for me. I'm not in a closed room where someone could misconceive me as "snooping" through their stuff. I usually send the guests to the kitchen to get what they need for their recipe, but I don't hesitate to open the fridge & get something that we need either. Now I don't go scrounging for toothpicks if I need one, I do ask for that kind of stuff. But the Host has invited us into her house to cook & I don't really see the fridge as being off limits when I'm there to do a Cooking Show. Now if I were a PartyLite/Scentsy/Tuperware Consultant or a guest at a non-cooking show, I'd NEVER go scrounging through the Host's fridge ... but in our situation this is a bit different. So if she has reservations about coming in and helping her self to the host's microwave, stove, fridge, etc. Tell her it's okay. We all do it & they pretty much expect us to when they invite us into their homes for this type of show. As a courtesy, I think most of ask for anything else that we might need that's not in plain site. ;)

LOL, sheila, I thought it might be something psychological like that. I have one auntie who I will not help in her kitchen because everything I do is wrong. According to her.
Luckily it didn't affect me in other kitchens - just hers :rolleyes:

What is "Recruiting Objection - Cooking in Someone Else's Kitchen"?

"Recruiting Objection - Cooking in Someone Else's Kitchen" is a common objection that recruiters may face when trying to recruit a candidate who is currently employed with another company. It refers to the concern that the candidate may be viewed as disloyal for considering leaving their current job.

Why do candidates have this objection?

Candidates may have this objection because they are concerned about how leaving their current job will reflect on their loyalty and work ethic. They may also worry about potential backlash from their current employer or colleagues for considering a new job.

How can recruiters address this objection?

Recruiters can address this objection by emphasizing the candidate's potential for growth and development in the new role, as well as the opportunities and benefits that the new company can offer. They can also assure the candidate that their decision to explore new job opportunities is a common and understandable career move.

What are some common mistakes recruiters make when facing this objection?

Some common mistakes recruiters make when facing this objection include downplaying the candidate's concerns, pressuring them to make a quick decision, and not properly addressing the potential consequences of leaving their current job. It's important for recruiters to listen to the candidate's concerns and address them in a respectful and understanding manner.

How can recruiters prevent this objection from arising?

Recruiters can prevent this objection from arising by being transparent about the job opportunity and company culture from the beginning. This will help candidates make an informed decision and feel more confident about their potential move. Additionally, building a strong relationship with the candidate and understanding their career goals can help prevent this objection from arising.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PampChefDeb
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
chefliz
  • caynreth
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • flemings99