• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

MS & Disability: Can I Work as a Consultant? - Expert Advice

In summary, it is possible to work as a consultant while receiving disability benefits through the Social Security Administration's (SSA) Ticket to Work program and Trial Work Period. The Ticket to Work program provides access to employment services and protections for individuals who may experience a decrease in earnings. The Trial Work Period allows beneficiaries to test their ability to work for at least nine months without losing benefits. There are no specific restrictions on the type of work that can be done, but earnings must be reported and may affect benefits. Medicare and Medicaid can still be received while working as a consultant, and there are additional work incentives available. It is recommended to consult with a benefits counselor or the SSA for a full understanding of options and potential impacts on benefits.
mmilus
Gold Member
I have a customer that has MS. Right now she is able to hold down a full-time job but knows that sooner or later she will probably have to go on disability. She has been interested in PC for a long time and wondered if it is possible, from a legal standpoint, to be a consultant while on disability. She's going to check with her accountant and her attorney but I told her I'd check her as well and see if anyone has experience with this. Thanks! Marci

I do not have a direct connection but as most government sponsored programs are designed, any income would be discounted at a certain percentage then subtracted from the disability payment. If you get $100 a month from disability and you earn $30 that month, they will take say 33% of the $30 and subtract that from the disability. I do not believe that 100% is ever removed unless of course the $30 would become $100 or more. She should not have a problem keeping income from disability. But who knows, she may turn into a dynamite saleswomen and blow that all to heck! As for any other ramifications, like not being disabled enough, may be an issue. I know with SSI, you have to make sure you do not over do it or they will investigate. To bad these offices are not smart enough to realize that most types of disability are only intermittent and not always issues for workers.

I have a friend whose husband receives disability income, and he makes additional income through a virtual call center company by taking calls at home. She says there is a monthly limit to how much he can make before it begins to affect his disability income. I don't know the details, though.

1. Can I work as a consultant while receiving disability benefits?

Yes, it is possible to work as a consultant while receiving disability benefits. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has two programs, the Ticket to Work program and the Trial Work Period, that allow individuals with disabilities to test their ability to work without losing their benefits.

2. What is the Ticket to Work program?

The Ticket to Work program is a voluntary program that provides disability beneficiaries with access to employment services, vocational rehabilitation, and other support services to help them enter or re-enter the workforce. It also offers protections for individuals who may experience a decrease in their earnings or need to stop working due to their disability.

3. How does the Trial Work Period work?

The Trial Work Period allows individuals with disabilities to test their ability to work for at least nine months within a rolling 60-month period. During this period, beneficiaries can still receive their full disability benefits regardless of how much they earn. Once the nine-month trial period is completed, they will enter a 36-month extended period of eligibility, during which they can continue to receive benefits for any month they do not earn above the substantial gainful activity limit.

4. Are there any restrictions on the type of work I can do as a consultant?

No, there are no specific restrictions on the type of work that you can do as a consultant while receiving disability benefits. However, you must still meet the eligibility criteria and report your earnings to the SSA. If your income exceeds the substantial gainful activity limit, your benefits may be reduced or suspended.

5. Can I still receive Medicare or Medicaid if I work as a consultant?

Yes, you can still receive Medicare or Medicaid while working as a consultant. The Ticket to Work program also offers protections for individuals who may experience a loss of healthcare coverage due to their earnings. You may also be eligible for other work incentives, such as the Medicaid Buy-In program, which allows individuals with disabilities to continue receiving Medicaid while working. It is important to consult with a benefits counselor or the SSA to fully understand your options and the potential impact on your benefits.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • finley1991
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PCJenni
  • esavvymom