• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Was There Something More I Could've Done?

In summary, the new recruit did not do well on her first show. She did not prepare and blamed the consultant for the lack of success. The consultant offered to help but the recruit refused. The consultant talked to the host and found out that the consultant was not supposed to be there. The consultant offered to help but the recruit refused. The consultant talked to the recruit and found out that she did not prepare and blamed the consultant. The consultant offered to help but the recruit refused. The consultant talked to the recruit and found out that she was going to do it by herself
KrazyApGirl
I recently signed on my 5th consultant...only 2nd local one...
I have done everything I feel I can in order to help to get her off to a terrific start...I personally have IMO the BEST cluster...so I feel like when I do offer the opportunity that they are pretty much guaranteed to be successful.
Here's what I have done for this new recruit...
I offered to take her to at least 4 training cluster meetings/KSL's, in turn she's only made one cluster meeting.
Granted she works full time and has a little one, but she had told us that her goal was to be able to replace that job with doing PC full time in order to become a SAHM.
I even went the "extra mile" and organized her SS paperwork box into a file crate including labelled hanging file folders, that neatly held all of her paperwork supplies in addition to a full stock of all the Host/Guest special flyers.. I also put together a sample host packet and a guest packet.
I added a special touch by putting her Recipe Success binder together with the catalog pages in page protectors.
So really stress to her everything she needed to do in order to do her first show...she tells me she has one this month, but never cared to tell me the date.
Anyway, I call her pretty much daily these last weeks and over the course of this get the impression that she's expecting me to go to her show with her.
I keep reassuring her she's going to do great!
Her confidence is really low..
Did I mention I even tried doing some training over the phone, but each time she had something come up..and had to either call me back or let me go...so I knew that she was just not putting in the time she needed to....
Not to mention the host coaching she should've been doing.
So come this past Wed...I think she finally realized she had no idea what she's supposed to be doing...it is also at this point where I had to point blank tell her that I can't attend her show because I already have plans.
Again, she never shared what the exact date of the show was until this week.
She seemed to go into a panic mode at this point...
So here we go...I tried to calm her down...told her that's why I have been trying to get her to go to the training meetings and the such...
Well she gets really upset, but finally starts calling me more and doing things to get ready for her show.
So when we start reviewing things I asked again (going over all the host coaching stuff with her) and find out she's done basically nothing to get this show organized...
No guest packets, very limited knowledge of the products...I could go on and on....
OBTW she wants to achieve the $1250 goal by the end of this month so that she can earn the skillet promo.
Well, so I offer to talk to her host...well we ended up doing a 3 way and her host is a dream...ends up she's Mary Kay consultant and knows the ins and outs of the hosting side...so my recruit go lucky for it being her first show and not being at all prepared.
I ended up helping my recruit by loaning her my guest folders and placed her catalogs...which by the way I made labels with her info and slapped them on before I put them in the folders for her...I even had products that I was going to let her borrow that she didn't have and that the host wanted to see.
I drove these over to her job on Sat and once again reassured her that it would be ok...
In addition to putting a script together for her to follow...I also created a nice challenge pitch to give to potential hosts to work a catalog show in 4 days to get her to the $1250 ....
Basically, I feel like I have bent over backward and then some...
So today when she finally returned my call from the message I left I asked so how did it go and this is what I get w/attitude.
"Not good...."
I ask what do you mean...not good as in how..
she says "well, I didn't know what I was doing...I thought you were going to be there and the host thought you were coming and said you should've been there for my first show."
I couldn't believe it...
I talked to the host the morning before the show, and I know for fact that she understood that I wasn't going to be there..
So what I am thinking is that my recruit bashed me because I was at fault for "abandoning" her on her first show.
Which is so not true....
My director and I have talked daily the week before...(she's been in Vienna all week...since she earned the trip) and she assurred me that I shouldn't be going to the show with her....I hadn't heard of anyone in PC going to the recruits first show....am I in the wrong here?
Part of me feels like I resisted so much because she hadn't put in any effort what so ever and maybe if she did then I would've made an effort to go...
Although, my husband was only home for a week before leaving for another two week stent and I also have an 8 1/2 and a 3 month old...
Anyway, I had to vent a little and see what you all thought...
Is there something I should've done and missed...
I just feel like I got slapped in the face for all my efforts...
Thanks for listening.:(

Wow, it does sound like you went all out to get her prepared as much as you could. Personally, I leave it up to my consultants if they want me to come with to their first show (or two). I wouldn't have wanted my director at my first show because it would have made me MORE nervous. But I know some people like that support. I actually went to my newest consultant's show today. It was actually her 2nd because she unexpectedly scheduled another show before it that I couldn't attend. I guess I can see why your consultant really wanted you there if her confidence about all of this is pretty low. I think my consultant was half hoping that I'D do the show for her today, but I let her know that it was her show, so she should take a stab at it and I was there if she needed me to interject anything. She did fine and without even saying a ton about the products since she's still trying to get to know them, she STILL had over a $500 show. As I always tell consultants who are really nervous and not at all comfortable doing this at the start....it WILL get easier!!

Maybe offer to go to another show of hers if it's still really that important to her. Maybe she just wants your feedback so she can get better. It sounds like you've done a ton getting her started, but some people need a little hand holding at the start. Although there is that saying...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. She's probably someone that needs LOTS of positive reinforcement. She also is maybe someone who thrives on recognition, so go crazy with that when you can.

Good luck!:D

Wow! I think you went well above and beyond what most recruiters do. I can't believe all of the things you did for her! She should have been very well prepared. My director did offer to go with me to my first show, but that was just as a favor. I didn't take it that it was in any way required, and I actually turned her down. She's soooo good at what she does, I was afraid I'd be more nervous. She does so many shows every month, I never would have expected her to be able to come to one of mine without plenty of notice. If this person wasn't ready after all you did, that is on her. If she was really that worried about you not being there, she could have arranged with you do to a practice demo. Had she attended the cluster meetings, she would have been even more prepared. I think you did way more than enough to help her. The hostess probably just said that to make her feel better. I think maybe there is just a little more to being a consultant than she thought. Do you think she'll continue? At least now she knows what to expect.

Don't beat yourself up. I think you did way more than enough.

I agree with the other ladies, you went above and beyond to help prepare her. She needed to take the initiative to learn the material, the products, and prepare her demo. She cannot expect you to run her business for her.

I offer to go to my recruits' 1st show. Most turn me down; however, my new recruit feels like she needs me there, so I'll go. She has been really excited about her new business and has been reading the material and attending meetings. I think she will do a great job. Her first party is on Saturday.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!First I would like to say, "Where have you been all my life?" :eek: :p :D

My recruit was just at the right place at the right time. I didn't know her, she was a friend of a friend and I wanted to sign up. She never helped me with anything. I know she had two little ones, but she NEVER kept in touch. She sent me one email saying ONE MORE SHOW TO GO TO QUALIFY, I didn't even get a call to say great job, when I qualified. She eventually moved away cause her husband is in the military but I was glad I had my own support team - The LORD, My Husband, my kids, and my director!!

You did a GREAT JOB!! You went above and beyond the call of duty. I think maybe you did too much. Now she is going to expect that, so you need to let her know that this is HER business and you get what you put into it. Occasional help is needed by everyone once in a while, but this woman sounds like she is taking advantage of your kind heart. You did not have to be at her first show, you got her started, lent her your stuff and tried to train her but she refused to take you up on your offer.
I say you let her know that she needs to ask you in advance if you can make it to one of her shows for support. I would go to my recruits show
IF SHE ASKED ME TO!!! She must think you are a mind reader or something and was rude to treat you that way. Don't feel guilty, some people will take advantage and the sooner you set boundaries, the better.
Good luck in the future with her. Keep us posted!!
Debbie

DebbieSAChef said:
First I would like to say, "Where have you been all my life?" :eek: :p :D

My recruit was just at the right place at the right time. I didn't know her, she was a friend of a friend and I wanted to sign up. She never helped me with anything. I know she had two little ones, but she NEVER kept in touch. She sent me one email saying ONE MORE SHOW TO GO TO QUALIFY, I didn't even get a call to say great job, when I qualified. She eventually moved away cause her husband is in the military but I was glad I had my own support team - The LORD, My Husband, my kids, and my director!!

You did a GREAT JOB!! You went above and beyond the call of duty. I think maybe you did too much. Now she is going to expect that, so you need to let her know that this is HER business and you get what you put into it. Occasional help is needed by everyone once in a while, but this woman sounds like she is taking advantage of your kind heart. You did not have to be at her first show, you got her started, lent her your stuff and tried to train her but she refused to take you up on your offer.
I say you let her know that she needs to ask you in advance if you can make it to one of her shows for support. I would go to my recruits show
IF SHE ASKED ME TO!!! She must think you are a mind reader or something and was rude to treat you that way. Don't feel guilty, some people will take advantage and the sooner you set boundaries, the better.
Good luck in the future with her. Keep us posted!!
Debbie

I would like to second this!! Where have you been all my life??!?!?

My recruiter did next to nothing!! My director has done even less!! I would have a full-fledged business right now (instead of just being a hobbyist) if I had been your recruit!!!

She just doesn't know how good she has it!!!! I can't imagine what else you could have done for her, short of doing it for her!!!! Recommend this site to her and we will all tell her how nasty she was to you!!!!

You ladies are great! Thanks for the support...
Truly I think she hadn't been taking the business seriously, and actually thought I was going to be doing the show for her.
I really needed to vent last night...because I felt like I got slapped in the face with everything I had already done.
Again, I would've gone with her had she asked or given me the exact date even...but again, I didn't even realize what she was thinking until early last week or else I would've straight out asked her...by then it was too late.
Anyway, thanks for all your responses.
Like I said I come from a AWESOME cluster and my director is so motivating that she's motivated me to Step Up my business and get my team rolling...
I hadn't really had the opportunity to do much with my other recruits being out of town to personalize so I thought I would start with this one.
My other local kept coming up with excuse after excuse and turns out it wasn't the right time for her...which I respect, but at least she let me know where she stood and I occassionally keep in touch should she decide to pick it back up and that I'll be here to support her when/if she does.
You guys are great!
Actually as I was dropping the stuff off to her at work on Sat I was approached my a lady who recently moved here and is a nurse who's been looking for a PC consultant....so much more that she chased me out to the parking lot...so maybe God placed me right where I was supposed to be at that particular moment regardless of the other efforts.
Thanks again so much!

WOW! You did way more than most! My director just gave me the starter kit and said come to my monthly meetings. Well, in fairness, she did answer any questions I had if I called her. I was a home office lead and have never seen one of her shows.

I do not offer to go to a new recruit's show. If she asks me I tell ther that I think it's better for her to do it on her own. I tell her to tell everyone that it is her first show and to make note cards of what she wants to say. I let her know that I did that for the first 6 months and everyone was very very nice about understanding and helping me feel more comfortable. I tell her that I would still be very nervous if my director showed up at one of my shows but that if she wants to attend one of mine to observe I would welcome that. I also tell her to give the line "It says here The Pampered Chef not the perfect chef". If she insisted that she needed me there I would go.

I have found that their confidence grows much faster if they do more on their own sooner but you really have to treat each person individually. I have had consultants who have never asked a single PP question and done great and others who I had to help through 3-6 months of submitting shows. Whatever THEY need.

I do a weekly training meeting with new recruits to go over everything that she might have a question about and cover the basics of doing the show and then submitting it. I am also there at any time for email or phone questions. I want them to feel that they have someone there to help them at all times. They are not alone - if I can't help them I send them to the solution center and sometimes I do that anyway so they can feel like they aren't leaning too much (sometimes they feel guilty and WANT to get on their own).

I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. You did more than anyone I know to help her get started. Hopefully she will learn from this and grow. If not, maybe it's not for her and you just need to let that go and move on.

1. What is "Was There Something More I Could've Done?"

"Was There Something More I Could've Done?" is a cookbook created by Pampered Chef that offers delicious and easy recipes for everyday meals.

2. Are the recipes in "Was There Something More I Could've Done?" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the recipes in "Was There Something More I Could've Done?" are designed to be simple and easy to follow, making them perfect for beginners.

3. Are the ingredients in "Was There Something More I Could've Done?" easy to find?

Yes, the ingredients used in the recipes are commonly found in most grocery stores, making it convenient for you to create delicious meals at home.

4. Are there any special dietary considerations taken into account in "Was There Something More I Could've Done?"

Yes, "Was There Something More I Could've Done?" includes a variety of recipes for different dietary needs, including vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free options.

5. Can I purchase "Was There Something More I Could've Done?" online?

Yes, "Was There Something More I Could've Done?" is available for purchase on the Pampered Chef website or through a Pampered Chef consultant.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • Niki Kate
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • almondfarm