• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Thirty One Gifts a Good Direct Sales Company for Busy Moms?

In summary, my friend is interested in joining PC, but is worried about the company's legitimacy. She attended a show a couple of weeks ago and liked the products, but is worried about the compensation and the potential for a hiring freeze.
makeawhisk
I have a friend who I've been talking with about joining PC, because she's looking for something she can do from home (and has small children). She attended a show a couple of weeks ago, and booked a party, and we've been chatting about the business opportunity.

(Possibly related details: the show she attended was at my sister's house, and my sister sells Lia Sophia. I think, but don't know for sure, that my sister started trying to sell her on the Lia Sophia opportunity, unknowingly. My sis would never try to poach, and she's very new in her LS business, so I'm not blaming her or anything.)

Apparently, my friend was thoroughly sold on the idea of doing direct sales, but went to research other Direct Sales companies. My friend is a very diplomatic person, and I wonder if she didn't do that to avoid "picking" me or my sister. Either way though, she landed on Thirty One Gifts.

I've heard of Thirty One, but don't know much about it. My friend likes that it's faith-based, and supposedly products for busy moms. There's been a hiring freeze, so she can't even start yet, she's on some sort of waiting list. Of course, I'd be thrilled if my friend signed under me for PC, but she's my friend, and it's more important to me that she end up with a good company. I thought I'd ask you all if you knew any more about it.

1) How are the products? Are they reliable? Reasonably priced for the quality? Pampered Chef products are--I couldn't sell products if I didn't believe in them, and I know my friend feels the same way.

2) Is the compensation fair to consultants?

3) Does anyone know how long this "hiring freeze" will last, or if it will affect her ability to recruit when she is a new consultant?

4) Anything that would make Thirty One a bad choice?

When I signed with PC, I knew it had been around forever and has great products. My friend doesn't have money to just throw around for things like this, so if Thirty One is some kind of scam or something I want to make sure she has all of the information.

I know this is a PC board, but I figure someone here knows a consultant or past consultant that might be able to shed some light. There's very little reliable information for evaluating these kinds things out there!

No 31 is not a scam. As for it being Faith based..They got the name Thirty-one from Proverbs 31.

The products are great..some are pricey..but I think that most of them are very reasonable. Actually..my cousin is thinking about becoming a consultant for 31 and I am trying to talk her into it..LOL.

And I could be wrong..but I have a feeling that this is a company that we are going to see around for a long time. They change patterns pretty often so you don't get bored with what you have.

It is my understanding that the ladies who started 31 were either at one time PC consultants, or familiar with the business model. So hopefully that would mean it trickles down to how they compensate or work with their consultants too. I've been a customer a couple of years, and LOVE LOVE their products (I have a big box on my dining room table of bags I just purchased, as does my mom and SIL both as well!). I don't know about the consultant-side of the business, but the products are adorable, practical, etc. I did hear about the freeze, because they are so popular and because they were having a hard time keeping up with the demand on the products, but that they were working with their suppliers to improve that. I don't remember where I read that, but that was what I heard a week or so ago.

On a different note - I am about "Thirty-Oned" out.

I have been invited to 8 different 31 Parties - with 4-5 different consultants - in the past 3 months. I guess some people would never get tired of it, but for me - I only need so many different bags, and I'm not going to buy new bags that cost that much, just because they come out with a new pattern.

But then, I'm all about the food - and bags aren't my thing. :) I never even carried a purse until I had my son, and now the only reason I carry one is to advertise my PC business, and carry mini catalogs. :D

The one thing I know is that they have to do all their ordering online. Not like PC where we can put our orders in through P3 and then submit everything. The lady that did my party came with her laptop but had to have a wireless device so she could process orders. Now that doesn't mean that someone probably couldn't do it the old fashioned way but that's how this consultant chose to do it.

Their products are cute, I have a few. Their hostess program is not the best - host has to pay shipping on their order (8% I think) unless they are above $550 (I think). But compared to PC (and I'm not just saying this) - I think the host loses out on a lot of things that other companies offer their hosts.

I see this company just booming. It's "all the rage" right now. Every time I turn around, I'm seeing people hosting parties, going to parties, and see their bags on lots of people as I go about places. I like their things. They seem to be good quality. They are affordable and have trendy patterns, so there's new things each season.I do get confused about it being "faith based", though. The name they got from Proverbs, but everything about the company is similar to other company's, PC included. They encourage people to develop great qualities, building and strengthening personal and family relationships. Sometimes I wonder if by saying "faith based" a lot, if that might turn off people who are other faiths. KWIM? I wouldn't like to start a show every time having to say that line. But maybe that's just me.The down side? I'm not thrilled with the company's customer service. I had a bad experience with them around Christmas time. They ran out of the monthly guest special and so in my order they included a Gift Certificate. I wish they had just said it would come when it's back in supply. But the GC made it sound like they were discontinuing it. I couldn't use the Gift Certificate with them or another consultant. I had to go through the same consultant who sold me the stuff originally (who I was not happy with because she was terrible with procrastinating and barely got my things to me in time for Christmas.) Then come the new season, that same product was still in their catalog! So what was the deal? Why didn't they just either refund my card or notify me that it's on backorder? When I did a vendor booth in April, there was a 31 consultant there. She was very frustrated with the company. She was complaining for a long time. I was tempted to give her some PC info, but thought that she must be committed to her business since she was doing a booth! I didn't want to cross a line, KWIM? The other things to consider with 31, is that it doesn't appeal to everyone. With us, we can say "everyone eats!" The company is all about women, so there's no welcome mat for men.One nice thing for them though is that their stuff is very light weight and easy to transport for shows and booths! :DMy friend who sells it told me that at the end of the month, they assign consultants a deadline, or rather a time frame for them to submit their shows. They will stagger the times so that the site doesn't crash as lots of consultants are rushing to submit shows. Another hard thing about 31 parties is that outside orders are hard to gather. Everyone needs to see these things in person. My next door neighbor really was interested in things but couldn't come and won't host. She wouldn't order without seeing things in person to check the quality, feel them, see how things were in life size, etc. I'm that way with buying their purses. I didn't want to get one until I was able to go to a show and try them out on my shoulder and see the inside of them. So you really need people to attend these parties in person to get the sales. IMHO.

I am totally in love with the one bag from 31 I have that I use as my consultant tote (I think it is the medium utility bag) but otherwise tend to agree with Becky, I can't see why I would attend multiple parties in a year... with PC I feel like I can always find something I need, and the food is always fun!

ChefBeckyD said:
On a different note - I am about "Thirty-Oned" out.

I have been invited to 8 different 31 Parties - with 4-5 different consultants - in the past 3 months. I guess some people would never get tired of it, but for me - I only need so many different bags, and I'm not going to buy new bags that cost that much, just because they come out with a new pattern.

But then, I'm all about the food - and bags aren't my thing. :) I never even carried a purse until I had my son, and now the only reason I carry one is to advertise my PC business, and carry mini catalogs. :D

I completely agree!

wadesgirl said:
The one thing I know is that they have to do all their ordering online. Not like PC where we can put our orders in through P3 and then submit everything. The lady that did my party came with her laptop but had to have a wireless device so she could process orders. Now that doesn't mean that someone probably couldn't do it the old fashioned way but that's how this consultant chose to do it.

Their products are cute, I have a few. Their hostess program is not the best - host has to pay shipping on their order (8% I think) unless they are above $550 (I think). But compared to PC (and I'm not just saying this) - I think the host loses out on a lot of things that other companies offer their hosts.
Yes! I was not impressed with the host rewards. I hosted in May because the host special was that you get bumped a level. Thanks to that I was able to reach the level where shipping was free. And I don't think I recall there being a booking benefit or any future discount. And these companies that say the free product is 10%, 20%, etc. to me gets confusing. I like how we just say a $ amount when they reach a level. It's less confusing.

After reading the additional comments, I have to agree on the Host-benefits. It's very little in my opinion. When I put in some orders recently to take advantage of a consultant incentive (she was giving away a free bag worth $30 when you spent $50...it was a bag I like alot and wanted another, plus some other bags that I like and use). Anyway....I had thought about "wonder if I get more by putting together a show". Shows $200 - up to $499 in sales only get 10% in free products and 1-2 half price. Eh...no thanks.And like others said, you can only buy so many bags. I'm pretty much done I think. If someone has a show and I feel like I should get something, I have a few purse options to change my purse-skirt or some smaller items, but overall, I've gotten all I can use or want.Your friend should HOST a show with each company! Try it before you buy it.....that will tell her a lot I expect. If she is asking questions of the consultant about the businesses she's exploring, she'll see and hear a lot...some will be fluff, but if she is observant, she can probably make an educated decision that way without feeling that someone who stood to gain something was trying to steer her away from it for whatever reason.

babywings76 said:
I completely agree!

Yes! I was not impressed with the host rewards. I hosted in May because the host special was that you get bumped a level. Thanks to that I was able to reach the level where shipping was free. And I don't think I recall there being a booking benefit or any future discount. And these companies that say the free product is 10%, 20%, etc. to me gets confusing. I like how we just say a $ amount when they reach a level. It's less confusing.

The booking benefit was weird and she didn't explain it very well. I think you got "credit" towards your order at the party booked off yours. I swear I remember her saying it was only like $5 off your order. I could be wrong though, like I said she never really explained that part well.

wadesgirl said:
The booking benefit was weird and she didn't explain it very well. I think you got "credit" towards your order at the party booked off yours. I swear I remember her saying it was only like $5 off your order. I could be wrong though, like I said she never really explained that part well.

Yeah, maybe it's so bad that's why my friend didn't even mention it! ;)

I am hosting a 31 party tonight. Met the gal at a vendor event last month, briefly saw the bags and loved the June special. But since I've never seen the bags up close, I wanted to have the time to examine them before buying. Plus, I'm doing a show for her in Aug/Sept after she moves into her new house. And, I wanted to experience hosting from the host perspective.

I do plan to talk to her about PC. She had to go back to her part time job so they'd be sure to have enough money for their new house. Hmmm. Not making enough? But, I will post my thoughts on the company after I have my show!

pchockeymom said:
I am hosting a 31 party tonight. Met the gal at a vendor event last month, briefly saw the bags and loved the June special. But since I've never seen the bags up close, I wanted to have the time to examine them before buying. Plus, I'm doing a show for her in Aug/Sept after she moves into her new house. And, I wanted to experience hosting from the host perspective.

I do plan to talk to her about PC. She had to go back to her part time job so they'd be sure to have enough money for their new house. Hmmm. Not making enough? But, I will post my thoughts on the company after I have my show!

They do usually have really good specials. Host as well as guest. My mom's cousin is having a catalog show this month..I am debating about buying a bag from here..well..actually 2..one at regular price and embroidered..then the other one as the guest special..I will get $66 worth of stuff for $45..but she lives in FL..I am in PA..so I don't know that it will be worth it..to have it sent to me.

I can tell you- shipping is 8% of your order, plus $4 for direct. That's about what I paid- surprised me!

I think the bags look fun and I can see how people are interested. I am not positive but I think 31 Bags has a hold on signing any new consultants until August. I may be wrong on the month, but I remember seeing it here somewhere. So this may help determine for her which company to start with. I never talk down about anohter company. Instead I point out our benefits. The big one is that everyone eats, so everyone is a customer. I cannot see a lot of men customers let alone consultants with 31 bags. I have a ton of male customers and several male consultants. We are not a gimmick or fade, because eating never goes out of style. Of course you can talk about how we have been around for over 30 years and how successful our company and consultant program has been. You can talk about the other pluses too like no inventory, rarely do we have a style changes so most things are current when the catalog changes over, etc.

In general I try not to mention negatives of another company when discussing the potential of someone becoming a PC consultant. I would mention the positives of PC and then she can ask the other company if they offer the same.Personally I just had a really bad experience with Lia Sophia and will no longer purchase anything from them, but I would never tell that to a potential recruit (other than my own family members).

angel7581 said:
In general I try not to mention negatives of another company when discussing the potential of someone becoming a PC consultant. I would mention the positives of PC and then she can ask the other company if they offer the same.
Personally I just had a really bad experience with Lia Sophia and will no longer purchase anything from them, but I would never tell that to a potential recruit (other than my own family members).

I completely agree. Show her one of your commission checks, or one of your upline commission checks and let that rock her world. Tell her the benefits you have received by consultanting w/ PC. I am not always happy with HO but I NEVER complain to a customer, not even my family. When I talk PC I tell all the great things about it. Be enthusiastic, she will see that I am sure.

angel7581 said:
In general I try not to mention negatives of another company when discussing the potential of someone becoming a PC consultant. I would mention the positives of PC and then she can ask the other company if they offer the same.

Personally I just had a really bad experience with Lia Sophia and will no longer purchase anything from them, but I would never tell that to a potential recruit (other than my own family members).

Yes, I definitely agree! On this thread I was just stating my opinion and the answers to the OP's questions. I'm glad you mentioned this point, because it's true...it doesn't look good or professional to talk negatively of other companies to a potential recruit. It's good for you to hear what other people have to say about the other companies so that you'll know what positives of PC you can point out.

Well here are points I make that are not necessarily true with other companies:1. Pampered Chef does not require you to purchase more products. Once you have your kit you are free to never purchase another Pampered Chef product again. (Good luck taking advantage of that one though :) ) Some companies require you spend money every month in order to make money. I sold for one of these companies once. There is nothing harsher than working hard to sell a bunch but not spend enough to get your commission.2. If there is a mistake in an order, Pampered Chef will correct this at no charge to the customer within the first 30 days. (This was my Lia Sophia issue. My order form clearly had a certain size for a ring, I received 2 sizes smaller. They said that the smaller size was entered into the computer so I had to pay to ship the incorrect one back to get the new one .. this was 2 days after my host had received the order)3. We do not pay for the host benefits ... some companies have the consultant pay for host benefits.4. The requirements to stay active are rather minimal so if you have a personal issue, it isn't hard to meet the minimums until you can get your personal life resolved. A friend of mine does something else where they frown on less than 2 parties a week.The list goes on and on .. some of these reasons are important to some people, but not so important to others. The person picking a company really needs to evaluate what is important to them.

By focusing on what PC DOES offer and do for us, then she will be better prepared with questions to ask about other DS companies. I think that also trying out the different companies as a host (or shadow a consultant to one of her shows), would help unveil the various things also.

I would be VERY Cautious if signing with 31. I say this b/c I had a host a month ago who is a consultant and while she LOVES the products she was VERY Frustrated with the company. She did mention the hiring freeze and that makes sense if they can't accommodate new consultants. She said they didn't even had kits to give out at some point.

Her biggest beef was that minutes before a show she had to print out a STOP SELL list b/c they changed that often. She'd get to a party, get home to enter the show and find out other items have been added to the stop sell. The items that were on back order were taking 2+ months to get in stock and some with no re-stock date at all. What a customer service nightmare. She had lots of customers not happy and can you imagine tracking all those back ordered items. She said (at the time of her PC show) that she had to tell people to x out over 1/2 of the catalog that week b/c they couldn't get the items in and weren't able to order them. ONE HALF! WOW! Makes you grateful for working for such a great company as Pampered Chef!

As far as the faith based, take a look at our company mission statement. Until a couple years ago we had prayer cards on tables at conference to use if you wished silently before our meals.
The Pampered Chef®
Mission Statement
We are committed to providing opportunities for individuals to develop their God-given talents and skills totheir fullest potential for the benefit of themselves, their families, our customers and the company. We are dedicated to enhancing the quality of family life by providing kitchen products supported by service and information for our Consultants and
customers.

I signed with PC in August and with 31 in November. I let 31 go in April. Feel free to message me for more info if you want.

flemings99 said:
I would be VERY Cautious if signing with 31. I say this b/c I had a host a month ago who is a consultant and while she LOVES the products she was VERY Frustrated with the company. She did mention the hiring freeze and that makes sense if they can't accommodate new consultants. She said they didn't even had kits to give out at some point.

Her biggest beef was that minutes before a show she had to print out a STOP SELL list b/c they changed that often. She'd get to a party, get home to enter the show and find out other items have been added to the stop sell. The items that were on back order were taking 2+ months to get in stock and some with no re-stock date at all. What a customer service nightmare. She had lots of customers not happy and can you imagine tracking all those back ordered items. She said (at the time of her PC show) that she had to tell people to x out over 1/2 of the catalog that week b/c they couldn't get the items in and weren't able to order them. ONE HALF! WOW! Makes you grateful for working for such a great company as Pampered Chef!

As far as the faith based, take a look at our company mission statement. Until a couple years ago we had prayer cards on tables at conference to use if you wished silently before our meals.
The Pampered Chef®
Mission Statement
We are committed to providing opportunities for individuals to develop their God-given talents and skills totheir fullest potential for the benefit of themselves, their families, our customers and the company. We are dedicated to enhancing the quality of family life by providing kitchen products supported by service and information for our Consultants and
customers.

Actually if I remember right there was a PC hiring freeze at one point also. Not sure the circumstances but I believe it can happen in any business.

Lots of good comments here. I talked with a 31 consultant a few weeks ago. I wanted the real scoop on their hiring freeze. Since then, based on her FB comments, the freeze is thawing, something about a list they can get on. Sounds like they're getting in line to get a kit when they become available later in the summer. This has screwed up people like the consultant I met who would have been a director by now but isn't so isn't getting overrides, etc. To give the company the benefit of the doubt, it sounds like they're going through massive growing pains, hence the problems with having product in stock and customer service issues. They are moving to a much larger warehouse and processing center. I think they did the freeze b/c they realized they couldn't keep up with the astronomical growth in the # of consultants. I forget the number she told me that they added in the past year but it was huge.

As have been mentioned, there are several aspects of the businesses your friend should consider. I think PC is very generous with giving us the opportunity to earn new products for free. I really don't hear other companies talk about this. I know some of them do it, at least to some extent. And our new consultant rewards program is just the best!!! If she wants to test-drive PC for 3 months, she can and will walk away with a ton of free products if she earns her PC bucks.

I don't get the excitement over selling bags. That's why I sell PC. Can't wait to see what new products we'll get in the fall. Your friend should look at both product catalogs. Does she like a lot of the bags and would want more herself? Or does she like a few of them so should just host? Does she want half of the PC catalog - or all of it? Or just $100-200 worth of products? The suggestion for her to host a 31 show is a good one. Will she be comfortable asking her friends to host one of those shows, too? Does she feel the host benefits are good? How many bags do people really want/need? I just don't see how it can keep going. But then I think about how HO keeps telling us that no area is saturated with PC consultants so that must be the case for 31 as well.

So I had my 31 show last night. The gal was great, the bags were awesome, and I got alot of super info on the company. Very similar strategy and pay structure for consultants. Yes, the hiring freeze is "over" sort of. They apparently let in 3100 "ladies in waiting" (what they call the want to be consultants on the waiting list). They were let in in order of their agreement signing. My gal has 15 consultants under her, about 30 "ladies in waiting" from her team, NONE were part of the 3100! She says the company will be letting in 3100 at a time, about every month, depending upon how it goes. She's been told that it could be October or later before anyone wanting to sign up now could actually start! If things don't go well, it could be even later!! I can't imagine having to wait that long to start a job. And they are apparently still having their systems crash when new specials or retiring lists are posted.

pchockeymom said:
So I had my 31 show last night. The gal was great, the bags were awesome, and I got alot of super info on the company. Very similar strategy and pay structure for consultants. Yes, the hiring freeze is "over" sort of. They apparently let in 3100 "ladies in waiting" (what they call the want to be consultants on the waiting list). They were let in in order of their agreement signing. My gal has 15 consultants under her, about 30 "ladies in waiting" from her team, NONE were part of the 3100! She says the company will be letting in 3100 at a time, about every month, depending upon how it goes. She's been told that it could be October or later before anyone wanting to sign up now could actually start! If things don't go well, it could be even later!! I can't imagine having to wait that long to start a job. And they are apparently still having their systems crash when new specials or retiring lists are posted.

Makes me wonder how many people lose their excitement and change their mind by the time they actually get to start selling.

Thanks everyone for your feedback--if there's more, please keep it coming. I agree about not talking negatively about another company--I never want to do that. I agree, it's not professional. Having some background about Thirty One can help me show the positives of Pampered Chef, though, and help her make an informed decision. My friend is not that familiar with direct sales, so I don't think she'd even know all of the questions to ask her 31 Recruiter. This will help me help her make the best decision for her. :)

angel7581 said:
(This was my Lia Sophia issue. My order form clearly had a certain size for a ring, I received 2 sizes smaller. They said that the smaller size was entered into the computer so I had to pay to ship the incorrect one back to get the new one .. this was 2 days after my host had received the order)

Not quite on topic, but if that was ever the official policy for Lia Sophia, it's changed now. You have 45 days from the original order to return things for free, and they pay the return shipping, via pre-paid label. Maybe that wasn't always the case, though.

Great thread!!! I have been in contact with a friend who is a consultant and always keeping my options open. I hosted a show a few months ago, had a $770 show or so, received $115 I believe in FREE products, 3 half price items, a host special, and a $5off booking benefit. I love the products but of course after my show was submitted and then received which takes forever, one of my items and a few of my guests orders were backordered. Some of those items took almost 6 weeks to come in. I swore I would never want to sell 31 because of that. Plus the return policy isn't great at all. I do love the products, and I think the issues they are experiencing are because the company is growing so much and too fast for what they they thought it would.I have mixed feelings about if I would join or not at this point!

I just hosted a 31 party on Monday only because I had met this consultant at a vendor event and she said she would host for pc if I hosted for 31. I normally don't do that, but she and I clicked, so I thought I would give it a try. The products are cute and it was fun to see something different (I'ld never heard of 31 before). I agree that the host program is not great...I was confused at times with where my show was at b/c she had to figure totals herself...and didn't realize until checkout that all of the items are taxed, even free and discounted and at 8% that was more then I planned! Guests were also charged tax according to where they lived instead of where it was shipped.
Her load was light though...she carried in 3 bags full of other bags - the end! She is from the south and said that 31 is everywhere down there, but fairly new to NY. Sounds like the company is really growing and I wish her well! I've decided though that you need to sell what you are passionate about, and I'm passionate about PC!!!!!!!! This is the company for me!

makeawhisk said:
Not quite on topic, but if that was ever the official policy for Lia Sophia, it's changed now. You have 45 days from the original order to return things for free, and they pay the return shipping, via pre-paid label. Maybe that wasn't always the case, though.

This was just last month. They said that the consultant put the information into the system incorrectly so it was not their fault, but hers. So I have to pay the shipping and then ask her to reimburse me.

angel7581 said:
This was just last month. They said that the consultant put the information into the system incorrectly so it was not their fault, but hers. So I have to pay the shipping and then ask her to reimburse me.

That's just wrong.

Last month, I entered in something incorrectly. One quick call to HO, and they just did an adjustment on my commission check for the $2 difference, and sent the right product ASAP. THAT is how it's supposed to work!

ChefBeckyD said:
That's just wrong.

Last month, I entered in something incorrectly. One quick call to HO, and they just did an adjustment on my commission check for the $2 difference, and sent the right product ASAP. THAT is how it's supposed to work!

I agree Becky. Not only do I not want to be a customer any longer, I would never want to be a consultant for a company that has that type of policy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • Nightschild24
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Sheila