• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Was Your Reason for Joining Pampered Chef? How Were You Approached?

In summary, a consultant joined PC 8 years ago and started their business 3 years ago. They were approached by a neighbor 4 months ago and decided to join.
Chef Bobby
Gold Member
In my 4 1/2 years I've been surprised at the different reasons why consultants joined PC and how they were approached. I had never heard of PC but wanted some kind of home based business. I was walking through Walmart with a friend when she mentioned that she needed to do a PC errand. I asked her what she was talking about and kept asking questions about the business. She invited me to a cluster meeting and I joined that night still not knowing that much about the company. Not knowing anything actually helped me get my first few customers. I asked my neighbors what they thought about PC and more than half wanted to place an order before I even joined.

So your friend was a consultant but you didn't know? Interesting and goes to show that we all have people we haven't talked to or that didn't hear us because they didn't need to at the time.

I started my business 8 years ago because my husband was laid off and I wanted something I could work around my other job and teenage sons. I had been a host for 19 years before that (had a PC stone dated 1983) with many $1K shows but no one had ever asked and I had never thought about it until I had a need. I didn't have a consultant at the time so I contacted HO and was put in the lead system.

I'm really not sure why I joined! Thought it would be fun, maybe! I had a bridal shower 5 months before I signed and knew I loved the products. I had mentioned to the consultant about the business but she wasn't a very good consultant. So finally I decided I would sign and my sister gave me the name of the consultant she worked with. I called her and signed that night!

I started my business 2 years ago. I was a customer for more than 13 years, and I don't recall ever being asked! Perhaps I would have joined 9 yrs ago instead of doing a scrapbooking business (I was my BEST customer! But mostly so I could stay active.) Funny thing was- I knew of a few consultants! Anyway, 3 years ago, I went to a show, placed a huge order ($100+- which was typical for me...maybe that's why no one asked, they liked my sales!). The consultant asked me if I had ever thought about joining. I just laughed and said 'no way'.Well, about 6 months later, my DH and I were reading one of Dave Ramsey's books and I was trying to find a way to make some extra cash to put into our budget. I knew it had to be 'work from home', so I looked to PC. I thought it would be a simpler business since PC was "recession proof" (sort of), and everyone has a kitchen/eats, plus I felt PC had a brand-recognition. So I called her up.Just goes to show- (1) ALWAYS ASK, and (2)- stay in contact- because you never know when circumstances will change. I signed almost a year after that show.

I started my business over 6 years ago. I'd been a customer for 10 years. I'd been a host for 8. I loved the products. I often jokingly saying that I began my business to feed my PC habit. I thought it would be a hobby that would allow me to get a discount on the things I wanted. Turned out to be my full-time job.

Honestly, I don't really know. I think it was fate. I think I was destined from that first party. Do you know I found my receipt from my very first PC show that I bought items at!!?? I'm going to put it with my items in my "Why Bag" for my next party. I haven't quite used the Why Bag yet. There weren't really enough people at the last party to use it on yet. I want to kind of perfect what's in that Why Bag. LOL!!

The first show I went to I thought "how fun is that!!!" But I really didn't understand the bzns and I had just quit a very different DS business. So I didn't even really think about it. Then years later I hosted a show cause someone at work said she wanted to go to a show but didn't want to have one. 1000 show, if I recall.
5 months later, same consultant, another show, 600 probably.

3 years later, go to a neighbors show, book off her, and in the interim decided I wanted to sign. At this point, I have never been approached.
I basically host-coach myself, cause I do everything probably 3-4 days before she would call me and I call her. As she arrived I told her, "in a few months I will want to sign." (She asked why the delay, I told her, and she never followed up. I kept following up with her)

She did the booking/recruiting slide, but didn't give me any info. (1200 show) --oh, she did send me a card telling me what my commission would have been)...I hounded her into helping me get more info over the next few months, and inviting me to a cluster meeting. Fortunately I found CS--that's how I knew what to ask her.... Really, I signed because of all the info I got on here on CS. Never had an interview. Called her today and gave her my info and signed up online. I think she didn't want to invest time with me cause she didn't know or believe I would really sign.

My only concern is I am not sure how I'll deal with approaching people. I have never seen anyone get approached.

We are all so different. Thanks for starting this thread.

I signed to get the free Simple Additions they were offering at the time if you signed. I'd never had a show or been to a show (I hate home party companies...:eek:), and was in the process of hosting one for a friend who had just joined. She had put info about the sign-on bonus in my host packet. I read it, and called her and said "instead of hosting, I think I just want to join and do this"...

I did end up hosting a show for her, then I signed on.

Now, she no longer is a consultant, but she hosts a show for me at least once a year! Next one is in September!

I have to confess that out of my 6 recruits that I've had, I only asked 3. The other 3 recruited themselves like I did.

wow this is an eye opener... ask ask ask. My recruiter did talk about the business at the show I attended but I walked up and said I wanted to do it before she had a chance to ask me. BUT, I ASK ASK ASK everyone and I ASK ASK ASK more than once. My team laughs because so many of them said no to me more than once but ended up joining the business. I earned Excellence in recruiting last year by asking!

very cool thread. I only just started my business 2 weeks ago and have yet to do my first party (sept 12). I haven't even bought anything PC since high school (over 12 years ago)...but my mom's always been a huge PC fan...anyways - I was approached by an old high school friend on facebook - and she did her thing - asked me if I wanted to become a consultant...and while I have an AWESOME full time career that I love - my hubby and I are trying to pay off some debt before we start a family...I've had thoughts of getting a second job during christmas - maybe at a retail store - but i HATE retail...and after i really thought about it, I decided THIS would be perfect for me!I love the products and can't wait to get started!

6 years ago I had my last PC show as a host. I had been asked before, but was never given reasons for ME to join. Ironically,this new consultan never asked me. After I went and got 6 bookings for my show (so I could get a two free stones from the director), her husband told my husband that I should be doing this. I thought it over for two months before deciding. She gave me the 3 bookings that hadn't held shows yet to start my business. 6 years later, my director and her director have left PC and I'm still here and work full-time as a teacher. I joined to have adult conversation, outside of the 10 year olds I work with, and meet new people. It has since paid for medical bills and this month, I made so much, that I have purchased all the school supplies, clothes, and taken the kids out to enjoy lunches.

I was a jewelry consultant who was burnt out on direct sales when I had lunch with my BFF and her friend, whose daughter was a consultant. The friend had invited us both to her upcoming show and through the whole thing, BFF kept saying I should do this instead of jewelry. I kept saying no but by the end of the show I was asking questions.The thing that resonated about this was that it is practical products everybody uses. With jewelry I was frustrated because I felt like my whole kit changed every year. I found myself saying, "Jewelry is trendy. I'm not."Three years later, it's still the best decision I ever made. I'm a "hobby consultant" and struggle sometimes to stay active but still, sold more in my first year of PC than I did in my entire 2-3 years in jewelry.

I went to my first party in 2000, I think. I didn't want to host because I didn't have any family there and all the people I knew had just attended that party. But I really liked the products and was more impressed with them then Tupperware (my mom sold when I was a kid and my sister was currently selling then). A few years later we moved to PA and a girl from church invited me to a party. I booked off of that one. I liked the consultant and really fell in love w/ the products and just really enjoyed the type of party it was. I hosted a few times w/ the same consultant. After each show while she was cleaning/packing up, she'd say things like, "Have you ever thought about becoming a consultant?" or "You'd be really good at this, what do you think.." I always brushed her off because even though I really liked it, I was afraid of the stigma of becoming a consultant for any DS business. My mom, and both sisters have/had done DS at different points in time. My husband's sisters were into Melaluca and I really hated the feeling of always being approached about stuff like that. I like to get things at stores, I don't like to feel obligated to buy things just because they are family, etc. were my reasons. My DH made me promise that I would NEVER do a DS business. I remember thinking that it seemed like it might be a fun thing to do. A great way to get a discount on stuff I liked. I enjoyed the parties. I thought that IF I ever did a DS biz, it would be TS or PC. Then my friend hosted another PC party. At first I didn't think I'd go. I told my husband that there really wasn't anything I needed. But then the funniest thing happened-Another friend of mine had me over for a girls brunch party and she made this amazing coffee cake. I LOVED it and so she gave me the recipe. I went home and made it and it was terrible. It didn't raise well, the texture was wrong, etc. I asked her what I might have done wrong. She said the only thing different she did was bake it in a rectangular baker. I told my husband that I was going to go to that PC party after all, because I really wanted to get one of those stoneware bakers and see if it really is so wonderful. At that party I was surprised that it was a different consultant there. This consultant actually was her neighbor that just signed up under our regular consultant, and so because she's a neighbor and a friend, she decided to host to help her get started. I declined booking off of her, because DH told me before I left that he'd rather I just buy what I want and pay full price than have me agree to host. Because this consultant was new, she wasn't quite the way I was used to consultants being. But, the catalog sold me. I fell in love with everything all over again. I bought the rectangular baker. (I made that coffee cake, and it worked!!)Well, a few months later, my regular consultant sent out an e-mail about a promotion going on where you could get an extra $100 (PC bucks) once you qualified. I talked to DH about how I NEEDED to get out of the house. I was getting depressed (baby #4 was 8 months old) being cooped up in the house and "only" being a mommy. I needed an outlet. I needed adult conversation (he works from 7-8 about every day). I thought it would be fun to have a business of my own. Get to earn a discount and all those products, plus commission. I knew I couldn't do many shows because of his schedule. I knew it would probably be a short lived thing because I didn't think I could get bookings either. But it was soooo tempting to sign on. I asked some friends what they though and if they'd book parties for me to help me qualify. They agreed, so I went for it. I emailed my consultant and we just went back and forth in e-mails about all my questions. Finally I called her and she walked me through the steps of signing up through her website.So, that's pretty much my story. Hope it wasn't too long and boring--Sorry I'm long winded. :blushing:

Great story Amanda.

Loved all of your stories!!!!! I have been declining invites to PC parties for probably 8 years! And there have been many! Finally I was "tricked" into going to one with my bff. She asked me if I was busy on Wed. night and I was stressed and thought I would love to go out with her b/c she is always fun! Anyway, I said I wasn't doing anything. She asked me if I wanted to go out. LOL! OF COURSE I DID!!Then she tells me..."Oh, it's a PC party." I thought OHHHHH! No! Not a PC Party!! I didn't want to say no, I changed my mind!! But, I laughed and said I would go. Then she admits that she was glad that I was going b/c her friend kept asking her to go(she has one every 6 months) and she ran out of excuses!! We both laughed all the way there saying that we were just going to go to eat the food and have coffee. Definitely NOT buying anything! We didn't take any money and I purposely left my checkbook at home.Well, the host special was the stoneware...and I needed to get me some of that! LOL!!! I searched all my pockets and grabbed all the change at the bottom of my purse and bought the measuring spoons... and I booked a party. The consultant mentioned the business and if I knew of anyone looking for a PT job? I thought of my daughter. My daughter signed up at my party, which was a $725.00 party, btw! Then she was selling TONS without trying! My daughter had limited cooking skills and had never seen any PC products before my party... so now I had to sign up too! I am LOVING it sooooo much!! Also, I think my bff is going to sign up soon, too. I always tell people that I am kicking myself for refusing all those times I was invited because PC has changed my life so DRASTICALLY. I used to hate to cook, hated the clean up after even more and always in a rush so we ate takeout A LOT! We have saved a lot by staying at home to eat and now I have help in the kitchen from people that would rather starve to death than cook something!! LOL

Fun thread! I've enjoyed reading all the responses! :D

I've been a fan for many years and had a relative who sold it in the 90's. She tried back then to get me to sign, but I was a Police Dispatcher, working weekends, overtime and always on call. I laughed at her and admitted there was no way because my full time job would intervene and I'd be forced to cancel shows at the last minute.

Fast forward to 2008. I had since married a military guy who took me from Texas to Okinawa, Japan. A neighbor in Okinawa asked if I wanted to go with her to a PC party & I accepted. It had been a while since I went. I knew going, that I had no intention of booking a show, but definitely wanted to shop.

Well the sweet little Tennessee Conusltant, Angie (AngMillar here on Chef Success) was the consultant. Towards the end of the show, she addressed the group about hosting and I did everything I could to NOT make eye contact with her because I didn't want her to think that I was a potential host. LOL

When checkout time came, she asked if I was interested in hosting and I caved & said yes! I couldn't turn her down! Hubby fussed and didn't even want to be in the house when I hosted the show. He felt that PC was way over-rated and over priced. When another military wife came through the door with her husband (my hubby's co-worker), my hubby got excited that he now had someone to escape the house with and avoid all the girl stuff. The friend declined his offer, stating he wanted to stay. Hubby was disappointed, but stayed.

Angie did an interactive show, so hubby & the co-worker got to play with all the tools - and I think they startled Angie a bit when they tested to see how fast they could make her new salad & berry spinner go!

After all the guests & Angie had left, hubby sat me down & admitted that PC really had some nice stuff. I, of course, almost fell off the couch with shock that Mr. "I hate PC" had converted in just one interactive show, a show that he even felt forced to attend! He suggested that I call Angie back over & talk to her about the business opportunity. Angie came back over that same night & covered all the benefits of becoming a consultant. Hubby was persuading me to do it. My daughter had just been born at the end of Oct '07 & told Angie that if I signed it would just be to support my addiction to the product, that I had no desire to do it full time or even build a team. She said it was okay and never pressured me to do more than I wanted to do.

Obviously, in the 2.5 years that I've been doing PC, my goals have changed a bit. ;) I'm now a director with 19 girls on my team! I have 4 of them who are actively working towards promoting to Director so I'm hoping to see at least one of them achieve their goal by the end of the year which would also help me to achieve my next goal ... Advanced Director. :D

Awesome stories. I love seeing how so many of us went to a party not expecting to find a fab opportunity!

I was always the OO...."I don't do home parties". I always saved these orders for gifts throughout the year. My neighbor came over one day upset because no one was coming to her party. I told her I'd show up and bring some family members so that it looked like a full house. We showed up (I brought 4 guests), a half hour late (hoping to miss the demo) and none of us knew PC.

We tasted the recipe and I snuck over to ask the rep about the recipe. It was the Ham and Cheese Brunch squares, and she went over some of the perks of stoneware. When I heard about the magic pot, I wanted it. She saw I thought 69 was too steep so she mentioned a show and the host rewards. I politely told her I did not do home parties. She then states that if my show hits $500 in sales, she'll give me the DCB free in addition to the host rewards....it was tempting, but again I said no thank you. She then mentioned power cooking. When I asked about it....she tells me 3 dinners in the freezer for me and 1 to taste at party. At this point....I saw I was going to have future dinners, host rewards and possibly the DCB too. I agreed to a show for January....it was November.

She host coached me quite well, and I spammed EVERYONE I knew....told them I had a big wishlist and they needed to help me earn it all free. Surprisingly, I had about 25 people show up. It was FUN and I earned $240 free. My recruiter pointed out that the best bargain in the catalog was the kit. I said, "I'll take it!". She said I had to join....to which I politely declined....remember, "I don't do home parties". Well, she told me I could have the 5 bookings that I'd have to attend anyway.....brain whirring, I agree but point out that I'm doing my 5 shows and I'm done.

She left me with a biz guide which I read....I loved the PCD rewards and decided I was going to earn as much PCD in 30 days, get everything in the catalog and be done.

Well, 1 1/2 years later.....I am LOVING the biz....it has been a blessing, and I guess I DO home parties! Thanks to my fab recruiter who helped me each step of the way and been such an amazing friend!

BlueMoon said:
The first show I went to I thought "how fun is that!!!" But I really didn't understand the bzns and I had just quit a very different DS business. So I didn't even really think about it. Then years later I hosted a show cause someone at work said she wanted to go to a show but didn't want to have one. 1000 show, if I recall.
5 months later, same consultant, another show, 600 probably.

3 years later, go to a neighbors show, book off her, and in the interim decided I wanted to sign. At this point, I have never been approached.
I basically host-coach myself, cause I do everything probably 3-4 days before she would call me and I call her. As she arrived I told her, "in a few months I will want to sign." (She asked why the delay, I told her, and she never followed up. I kept following up with her)

She did the booking/recruiting slide, but didn't give me any info. (1200 show) --oh, she did send me a card telling me what my commission would have been)...I hounded her into helping me get more info over the next few months, and inviting me to a cluster meeting. Fortunately I found CS--that's how I knew what to ask her.... Really, I signed because of all the info I got on here on CS. Never had an interview. Called her today and gave her my info and signed up online. I think she didn't want to invest time with me cause she didn't know or believe I would really sign.

My only concern is I am not sure how I'll deal with approaching people. I have never seen anyone get approached.

We are all so different. Thanks for starting this thread.

Oh my goodness! I've never heard of a recruit that chased a recruiter! What possessed you to keep going to her Marghi?

Last edited:
Verrrry interesting stories everyone! I enjoyed reading this thread.

I don't have a long story to add tho. I went to only one PC party in my life... 10 years ago... and I bought a classic scrapper and an ice cream dipper. I don't remember being asked anything or giving it a 2nd thought. Then I got a job about a year ago at a huge insurance company with LOTS of people around me. The company lets people do DS in the breakrooms and I kept seeing Avon and Jewelry catalogs. So I thought heyyyyy, there is potential for a very lucrative side job here with all these people. But what could I sell? Avon and jewelry were taken, and are also 98% geared towards women, so I thought PAMPERED CHEF! I still have those items I bought 10 years ago and they're still like new! Everybody has a kitchen!

Deciding factor...I need to have 3 tooth implants at the tune of $4600 each! Ouch! Insurance pays very little of it...so here I am! I was a home office lead because I didn't know ANYONE involved with PC. I'm 6 shows into it and so far so good... and I love connecting with all of you here!

I joined to pay off debt .... was not approached. I had never been to a PC show. I was a HO lead. 4 1/2 years later so glad I logged onto the computer and hit the "contact me" button.

When I got married, a friend of my mom's asked me if she could send me some PC items instead of buying something off my registry. I'm not one to tell anyone what they can and can't buy for me as a gift, so I told her she could do whatever she wished. She sent me the three tiered stand and plates to go with it, as well as the bambo spatula set.

She also mentioned to me, almost in a "just so you know" style, that I could earn more products by hosting a catalog show. She lives in CA, and I'm in GA, so she wouldn't be able to come do a cooking show for me. I'd never been to a direct sales party in my life (I'd been roped into a Mary Kay makeover, but I don't really consider that a party in the sense PC does parties), and was generally completely out of the loop when it came to the concept of home party businesses. I knew my mom had a few products she'd purchased from this friend, but I knew nothing about the company or the products.

Not knowing what I was doing, I actually invited people to my house and made two recipes out of the SBRC my mom's friend had sent me. She didn't really coach me well, and I don't have a large cicrle of friends to tap into so my show was only a tad over $200. She did mention, again in passing, that I could also do PC myself, and start my own business. I'd read Rich Dad, Poor Dad when it came out, and been involved in another DS business right after I turned 18. I didn't succeed in that business, but I did decide that direct sales was the ideal way to make good money, even though I did also understand it would take work. I decided to go for it, and four years later I'm still here. My recruiter is no longer in the business, and I never really did get much support from her. She was one of those people who could see that direct sales had potential, but thought it should be a get rich quick opportunity. She's moved on to at least two other companies since I signed with PC.

JackieB999 said:
Oh my goodness! I've never heard of a recruit that chased a recruiter! What possessed you to keep going to her Marghi?

We're in a "small town" (you know, in a "small world" kind of way) and I didn't want to have any bad energy when I started. Each time I was ready to write her off, she'd step up to the plate. I did talk to the AD (we attend her meetings) at one point, to make sure the recruiter didn't have a personal problem with me....

The beauty of CS is that I have so much support here. And my cluster mates are great. I think it will be just fine, and I am so excited to be starting right now.

And because of CS, I know I am not the only one who's had some problems....it really helps me to read about some of the people here overcoming difficulties to make their business go....that way I never feel alone.

i was pulling my hair out as a home daycare provider so i could make income while staying at home with my kids. one day my husband came home and asked how my day was. i replied "the funniest thing happened on dora today, i can't wait to tell you about it!" to which he replied, "wow babe. maybe you should get out of the house more." LOL. 2 days later, my neighbor who had just joined (see laurie's story post #18) came over & said that she had just joined pc and i would be great at it. i agreed on the spot since APPARENTLY i needed to get out of the house more!

at first i just did one show a week or every 2 weeks to keep my sanity from the daycare kids, but then when they all moved (courtesy of the military), i kicked my pc biz into full time mode and now i have the best job in the world!

kristina16marie said:
i was pulling my hair out as a home daycare provider so i could make income while staying at home with my kids. one day my husband came home and asked how my day was. i replied "the funniest thing happened on dora today, i can't wait to tell you about it!" to which he replied, "wow babe. maybe you should get out of the house more." LOL. 2 days later, my neighbor who had just joined (see laurie's story post #18) came over & said that she had just joined pc and i would be great at it. i agreed on the spot since APPARENTLY i needed to get out of the house more!

at first i just did one show a week or every 2 weeks to keep my sanity from the daycare kids, but then when they all moved (courtesy of the military), i kicked my pc biz into full time mode and now i have the best job in the world!

Too funny!!

I needed to find some extra money to pay bills. I was planning on looking at Tastefully Simple, when my co-worker heard me talking and suggested I talk to his wife about Pampered Chef. I laughed, because I had been to two pc parties and was not a die-hard pc fan. My purchases were Mercy purchases! In fact, I was the one who brought a bag of chips and dip to family reunions.He asked a second time, I agreed and went with his wife to a show. She would send different pieces of literature to me every week (with her husband to deliver) and i ended up following her to four different shows (I wanted to make sure I could do this). After the fourth show, i signed up. I was her first, and now she's a Director and I'm a Team Leader.Love the Pampered Chef, I now cook and laugh, cause i'm so full of usefull cooking knowledge - 2 1/2 years later, And having a great time with it.

I attended parties and bought pampered chef. I did 2 catalog shows. But, wouldn't do a Cooking show because I was living in the basement of my in laws & they had dogs & it was really cluttered. I kept in contact with the consultant. My husband & I moved 1 1/2 hours North. I finally did a Cooking Show. The Consultant said if anyone booked parties I'm have to become a Consultant because she wasn't driving that far for anyone one else. I got 4 booking from that show. So I said I'd do it! I was a stay at home mom with my first child. I love to cook & I love to eat! Why not, I thought? I joined PC 9/05 and have loved it since.

I went to a party that a friend of mine hosted. My friend suggested that I look into selling PC myself b/c she knew that I needed an outlet for my free time. The consultant, who is my director as well, was very informative and really took the time to talk about it with me, answering any questions I had and addressing my concerns.

I graduated with a degree in x-ray over a year ago and have been unable to find a job since. So instead of waiting for someone to realize what an asset I am and hire me, I hired myself! My boyfriend, whom I live with and has supported me this past year, was only too happy to see me get involved with a company where I get out of the house and get tons of face to face time with people (which is what I miss the most about a full-time job!) Of course, sampling all the recipes I make probably doesn't hurt ;)

Foodie said:
I graduated with a degree in x-ray over a year ago and have been unable to find a job since. So instead of waiting for someone to realize what an asset I am and hire me, I hired myself! My boyfriend, whom I live with and has supported me this past year, was only too happy to see me get involved with a company where I get out of the house and get tons of face to face time with people (which is what I miss the most about a full-time job!) Of course, sampling all the recipes I make probably doesn't hurt ;)

I am an x-ray tech, too, and I know it's hard to find work in this environment. Hang in there, it will get better.

I live in Tucson now, and we've had some layoffs in the city. it is so hard. I love the work, though. I almost went to tech school in the 70's and didn't, because the market was bad for techs. Buuuuut...it turned around big time, and it will now, too.

Meanwhile, wishing you tons of success in Pampered Chef--I'm a newbie here too! In fact, I think you are ahead of me.

(Where did you go to school?--if I knew you as a student, you'll recognize my name--send me a message!)

JackieB999 said:
Verrrry interesting stories everyone! I enjoyed reading this thread.

I don't have a long story to add tho. I went to only one PC party in my life... 10 years ago... and I bought a classic scrapper and an ice cream dipper. I don't remember being asked anything or giving it a 2nd thought. Then I got a job about a year ago at a huge insurance company with LOTS of people around me. The company lets people do DS in the breakrooms and I kept seeing Avon and Jewelry catalogs. So I thought heyyyyy, there is potential for a very lucrative side job here with all these people. But what could I sell? Avon and jewelry were taken, and are also 98% geared towards women, so I thought PAMPERED CHEF! I still have those items I bought 10 years ago and they're still like new! Everybody has a kitchen!

Deciding factor...I need to have 3 tooth implants at the tune of $4600 each! Ouch! Insurance pays very little of it...so here I am! I was a home office lead because I didn't know ANYONE involved with PC. I'm 6 shows into it and so far so good... and I love connecting with all of you here!

Jackie I'm in the Largo area. Who are you under and do you go to any cluster meetings?

My story: My first baby was born in December. I was in retail management until she was born. I was a stay at home mom until July when my best friends father passed away, I went to work earning a very low salary to help out her family and to keep my sanity so I could get out of the house :) I'm not too much into a cooking because I hate the prep work of it all. My future mother-in-law called me and said "I'm having a pampered chef party, I want you to come, I think you should sell it". I laughed at her and said I'll be there because I wanted to get my fiance' a pizza stone.

In the past, I have done a few other DS things, none of them really panned out well, except MK but I was my best customer. Fast forward to MIL's party. Sitting through the demo my fiance' and I were getting way too excited about the food chopper, and cutting board with the measuring cups. lol My future MIL and her best friend kept starring me down and smiling and nodding. When the consultant brought up the opportunity I looked at the kit and got excited. I asked my fiance' he told me to do it, we could use the extra income, I walked up to the consultant and told her I wanted to do it. I honestly don't think she had much faith in me since that day I looked like a complete mess and had my 8.5 month old with me.

I signed up 8/22, my 30 days are up on 10/1 with very little training other then this amazing site! I have 5 cooking shows, and 1 catalog for September, my first recruit, and 2 possible recruits. I'm so happy this has taken off and has made me want to cook, learn as much as I can and have fun with it!

I love reading these stories. It's great to see the excitement of both the newer AND seasoned consultants. The beauty of the biz is that while the support of your recruiter and director is nice, it isn't necessary to be successful. CS and all the online training/audios on CC are enough to prep you!

I'm brand new! And I recruited myself. :love:

I SHOULD have known when I found a brand NIB large stone at a garage sale for $10 this summer and practically forced my good friend to buy that bad boy. (I already have two! :blushing:) I was giddy with excitement, she was bewildered. :p

I've been using and loving PC for 10 years, and I've been a SAH, homeschooling mom for the past 7+. I needed a change of pace and wanted to get out of the house, mingle with adults, and have some fun while making a bit of spending money. I thought a while about what I'd like to do, and somewhere amidst the many, many meals and snacks I prep/cook all day, every day -- it hit me! :love:

So here I am. I looked online and saw that I could get 1/2 off the kit if I signed that day or the next (10/15-17), then I called the consultant who I had planned a show with about a year ago (cancelled that show, had never met her, but kept getting her newsletter!) and said "Sign me up! I wanna be a consultant!" Made her day! :D

Aurora said:
I'm brand new! And I recruited myself. :love:

I SHOULD have known when I found a brand NIB large stone at a garage sale for $10 this summer and practically forced my good friend to buy that bad boy. (I already have two! :blushing:) I was giddy with excitement, she was bewildered. :p

I've been using and loving PC for 10 years, and I've been a SAH, homeschooling mom for the past 7+. I needed a change of pace and wanted to get out of the house, mingle with adults, and have some fun while making a bit of spending money. I thought a while about what I'd like to do, and somewhere amidst the many, many meals and snacks I prep/cook all day, every day -- it hit me! :love:

So here I am. I looked online and saw that I could get 1/2 off the kit if I signed that day or the next (10/15-17), then I called the consultant who I had planned a show with about a year ago (cancelled that show, had never met her, but kept getting her newsletter!) and said "Sign me up! I wanna be a consultant!" Made her day! :D

I'm very excited for you!!! It sounds like you're very passionate about your business and that's soo important!! Sounds like you need to attend Director Express, is there one coming up near you?

ShelbyMichalek said:
I'm very excited for you!!! It sounds like you're very passionate about your business and that's soo important!! Sounds like you need to attend Director Express, is there one coming up near you?

I'm not sure... I'm in Alaska. Where can I find that info -- CC?

I have enjoyed reading through all these stories (first time I've seen this thread). Because I always mention that every PC consultant has a different story, I'll share mine, it's VERY different than any I've read so far.

I went to my first PC party 20+ years ago, newly married, didn't cook. Saw the pizza stone, was hooked. Through the years I've filled my kitchen with PC products, never gave the business a thought. For the past 16 years I've been a carefree, stay at home, homeschooling and hockey mom. 3 years ago my, then independent m-i-l came to live with us. Christmas of 2009 she went back to TX to visit her friends and other son for the holidays. She was returned to us with full blown dementia. I went from a carefree, fun, life to completely stressed, full time caregiver (along with homeschooling, family, and hockey). PC is my therapy! One of my best friends has been a consultant for 18 years (she's in her 70s!!!). I asked her about it, signed up, didn't care if I made any money. I welcome my guests to my group therapy session and say it's the therapist that pays ME. Always get a good laugh.

I'd love to hear more stories. The more I know, the better I'm able to respond to people's hesitations.

pchockeymom said:
I have enjoyed reading through all these stories (first time I've seen this thread). Because I always mention that every PC consultant has a different story, I'll share mine, it's VERY different than any I've read so far.

I went to my first PC party 20+ years ago, newly married, didn't cook. Saw the pizza stone, was hooked. Through the years I've filled my kitchen with PC products, never gave the business a thought. For the past 16 years I've been a carefree, stay at home, homeschooling and hockey mom. 3 years ago my, then independent m-i-l came to live with us. Christmas of 2009 she went back to TX to visit her friends and other son for the holidays. She was returned to us with full blown dementia. I went from a carefree, fun, life to completely stressed, full time caregiver (along with homeschooling, family, and hockey). PC is my therapy! One of my best friends has been a consultant for 18 years (she's in her 70s!!!). I asked her about it, signed up, didn't care if I made any money. I welcome my guests to my group therapy session and say it's the therapist that pays ME. Always get a good laugh.

I'd love to hear more stories. The more I know, the better I'm able to respond to people's hesitations.

Great phrase, you should use it in your shows.

Barry Carlton said:
Great phrase, you should use it in your shows.

I do!! And I get alot of guests nodding in agreement, as to say, "yes that was me too". I sometime even take that stone with me to show them I still have it. Otherwise I just tell them.

Thank you for starting this link! You have opened my eyes to ASK, ASK, ASK EVERYONE! I’m amazed to see how many of us were the pursuers.. .and not the ones being pursued!

Three years ago I had no clue what PC even was! I was bargaining our union contract at work when one of the team members broke out a catalog during a caucus. Oh, I fell in love with the products, but not the prices. I bought a serving spatula and a hold and slice because of my budget. Fast forward two years when I lost $800/month in child support. I tried at home telemarketing and just hated the rules and restrictions. Then I saw a Facebook post of one of my high school classmates and how she’s loving her PC business. I sent her a note to ask questions and I spent over 2 hours on the phone with her. She told me I should at least try it for 3 months. Why she didn’t ask me to sign under her, I don’t know? She’s in NY, I’m in Illinois…. But I was naive at the time. I contacted HO and met my recruiter. She is horrible to say the least so I didn’t get the support that I felt I needed to start strong, but I don’t care anymore. I’ve talked to my SD and she is my support system now. I’m thrilled that I joined and that I’m on my way to making this my full time career. I don’t have to bargain for a pay increase like I currently have to do with my ‘real’ job.

I have only been in the business less than a year but grew up going to Pampered Chef parties with my mom. I never knew about pampered chef bridal showers or registries and wish I did when we got married seven years ago. I had two parities both when I was teaching full time and both when I was pregnant with my boys. I thought I could do it but at the time there was no way. I was never asked by either of the consultants and my shows were both over $1,000. This last summer my husband hurt his ankle and we were struggling to survive. I was invited by a neighbor to come to a party and I warned her I could not spend anything she said to just come and get to meet some other people in the area. I went to what I have to say was the worst party I had ever been to with two new consultants but their director was there. I sat during that show and thought I could do this show so much better than they were doing. I walked next door asked my husband and came back and asked the director to come up to my house as I had some questions. She came up and answered three hours of questions from my husband and I and I signed that night. I did not know how long I would really sell PC but am loving it and don't ever plan on stopping! I really do it not only for the money but because I enjoy it but also to have a break from my two little boys which has turned into special Daddy time for them that they really enjoy!
Almost to director (6 people under me just need a few more to secure that I have 6 active each month) :)

The first show I went to was was in 1999 (?) and I bought a kitchen spritzer and a SBRC. Mulled it over a bit, and then hosted a show a few months later. Did ok, but had a great time and loved the products I got. The consultant who did it was a director who talked about how she had quit her full-time job at a bank, and all she did now was PC. I didn't want to quit teaching, but at the time DH was coaching high school, so I figured it would be something good to get out of the house with. I signed up in January 2000. It was play money, I was a future director and got a lot of great products.
Sold for 3 years until DD came along.

Two years later, DH got sick. Very sick. Couldn't work, but we weren't used to not having his income. Since money was tight, something had to happen. I couldn't work a "normal" second job, but PC was something that I knew I could work much more part time but make a reasonable income, so I signed back up under my original director. Did well again, enjoyed it again. Life went on, DH got well and went back to work and I got a good promotion at work, life got busy so I quit. Again.

Last spring, we found ourselves needing more income. Now it is income for playing that we used to make but budget cuts haven't been helpful to. Because DH now works on the retail side of AT&T, his hours are not conducive to having me work another job. I want to be able to have my daughter and I able to show horses, but that's a darn expensive sport. Not to mention time intensive. So, here I am again. My former director had stepped down for quite a while, so I signed up with another local director whom I adore. PC now helps to pay for a lot of things that keep me sane. I love my business thought, and am grateful that I can work it around my crazy schedule.

I guess the short message in this is that we all have different phases in life, and PC can fit into any of them if you're passionate and want it to.

I joined not to long ago (december) My mom loves PC and so does my grandmother. I had just quit my job as a Assistant Manager for subway. They where cuting my pay and I was making $600 a week salary and they wanted to pay me $500 well I work about 60 hours a week due to alot of other workers quiting or not coming in typical with fast food. I am only 20 btw. So if you think about it I was then only making 8.30 an hour which is lower than my shift managers. sad that they did that too me. After 2 months of not having a job I found a be your boss type job with selling KIRBY as you know is a sister company to PC. After a month of brutal sales tatics I hated it, I mean really the things Door to Door sales people do. But I am glad I did this as I did alot of called calling and if I hadnt of had this kind of training befor PC I wouldnt be growing as fast as I am. I am really good with talking with strangers. So on December 17th my grandmother was having a show for one of my cousins. I go in not even thinking of doing it as I still was selling kirby and had another Part time job as I Server for High end events and catering. So at the party my dad goes hey sha you should do this youd be great at it. The consultant wasnt even paying attention to our convo, I was like hmm yea I could do this I mean with my great personallity and abilty to talk to everyone like they where my friend and not to mention great sales tactics :) I said OK i am going to do it! At the end I went to the consultant my cousin and said hey I wanna do this. After that I had a show on the 20th and the 26 of december! when everyone told me a couldnt :) For March I have 11 parties booked! how about that :) my goal is 15 pers month so I can move out of my parents house and still pay for my car.

I went to my only PC show 5 years ago. A co-worker was a consultant. Loved the products, but only bought $40.00 of stuff. Decided to check out a cluster meeting to find out more information - had fun - loved the upline Director, but wasn't ready to sign.

I forgot about P.C., received the newsletters, never read them. Got married this November, had extra time on my hands in December - read the newsletter (kicked myself for not having a PC registry or shower) and decided to sign in January. I didn't want an interview, hadn't talked to the consultant/co-worker in 3 years, but decided to sign-up with her anyway. She did keep in touch through the newsletter. Fast forward to today - 2 months in and I'm having a blast!!!

I went to a show in Oct of 2006, my DD was born 4 days later. The consultant never called me to make sure I got my products and never asked me about hosting or joining but I was really interested. In Jan 07 I moved 1500 miles away and did not know anyone so I went through the lead system. I thought it would be a great way to meet people and gave me some time away from my DD. The recruiter I was sent to just invited me to her house to "interview" me. She asked if I would sign before asking any questions and provided no training. I signed with her because I was chomping at the bit to get started. For a long time I was a hobbiest and constantly thought I would never really get into it but that has changed 2 moves later and another kid, mommy needs time with grown-ups.

I went to my first show about 15 years ago and fell in love with the products. I really wanted to join then, but I was young, and didn't have a whole lot of confidence in myself. I had just went through a divorce and was still trying to figure out my life. Fast forward to 2009 and I met a consultant at a fair. I signed up to host a show with her, and told her I was interested in the business part too. From that day on, all she did was hound me...I mean, it was crazy. At the end, I didn't even want to host a show with her, so I canceled it. Then last November my friend hosted a show (her consultant is her cousin's wife) and I booked a show from hers. I mentioned I was interested in the biz to her that night, but wanted to think about it more. So, she said we could discuss it at my show. I had my show, and she asked if I had decided and that I could have my show as my 1st and I immediately said YES! And I am so glad I did. I have had the best time and have learned so much about myself and having my own biz. It's been a fantastic experience. I'm finally getting shows outside my circle and am looking forward to growing my biz. I am working at it full time, though I haven't exactly gotten the amount of shows I need to really make money at it. I have not had any recruits yet either though my host next week says she would like to sign up. So, I'm just taking it one day at a time and know it will get better when the sun starts shining...lol. btw, I just love this site! I have learned so much here. I'm more of a do-it-myself kinda gal and hardly have needed my recruiter to help me because of this site. So, thank you everyone on here. You have all been so helpful and wonderful!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Bobby
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • futurechefinPA